PDA

View Full Version : James Boyd Autopsy

Sixgun_Symphony
06-22-14, 13:27
All politics aside I thought some might find the autopsy report of this fairly recent APD OIS interesting. I did, mainly the injury description and projectile performance. Anyone have an idea on the possible duty ammo used that day or by the APD?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/227441324/James-Boyd-Autopsy-from-Albuquerque-NM

lyodbraun
06-24-14, 18:28
Sounds like a patrol Rifle with the 62.8g recovered lead... From the autopsy..

SamuelBLong
06-24-14, 22:30
64gr Gold Dot

Redbeardsong
06-25-14, 03:00
Interesting that one shot led to amputation of the arm.

SamuelBLong
06-25-14, 03:23

If you damage the bone as well as the surrounding vasculature to the point where it can not be repaired, then there isn't much choice.

chuckman
06-25-14, 12:30

Not at all surprising. That's a lot of energy in a very vascular and nerve-rich area.

harrishmasher
06-26-14, 14:47
64gr Gold Dot
That's what I'm thinking.

SamuelBLong
06-26-14, 15:11
No need to think. 64gr Gold Dot is the duty load for APD.

Sixgun_Symphony
06-29-14, 11:59
Sounds like a patrol Rifle with the 62.8g recovered lead... From the autopsy..

Yes it was patrol rifles... google the shooting for the video

No need to think. 64gr Gold Dot is the duty load for APD.

Do you have anything to validate this? I'm not trying to sound challenging and I'm only wondering out of personal curiosity (I attempt to keep record of OIS and projectile performance etc).. I've checked the APDs procedural orders and APOA contract and couldnt find anything useful on issued duty ammo types besides caliber. Thats excellent performance for the Gold Dot..several OISs with the GD have not retained that much weight, to include dozens of industry tests and various other sources the GDs seem to usually be in the high 50s (57gr or so)...

SamuelBLong
06-29-14, 17:19
Here's the assurances I can give you:

1) I don't work for APD, but I am a reserve deputy in the neighboring county.

2) I Live in ABQ, and workout with two APD SWAT Sgt's at my gym.

vicious_cb
06-29-14, 21:28
Maybe I missed but did the report say the bullet that entered the lower back struck bone at all?

SamuelBLong
06-29-14, 21:51
There was nothing about it striking bone. Only that it entered the lower left back in a muscle near the spine, then made it's way through the top of the left kidney, through the diaphragm & lung, exiting the left armpit and coming to rest in the left shoulder.

vicious_cb
06-29-14, 22:49
Well its good to see that kind of performance out of the 64gr speer gold dot since its my defensive load for my carbine. Do you have any other OIS incidents where the gold dot was used?