PDA

View Full Version : Aero Precision released it's .308 receiver sets

Just Prince
06-24-14, 09:19
Aero Precision has released it's .308 receiver sets.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-upper-lower-bundle.html

harrishmasher
06-24-14, 10:06
It seems like a reasonable way to get into a 308 AR.

TehLlama
06-24-14, 13:29
Finally, intelligently priced .308 forged receivers...

These, an A5 Kit, Centurion 14" CMR-308, and time to start barrel shopping... I had a feeling I wouldn't miss my PredatOBR.

Swstock
06-24-14, 13:32
very nice

Im a big fan of Aero.

wabashman
06-24-14, 13:45
tagged for hopeful future reviews. Major reason I haven't assembled an ar10 is due to costs of the upper/lower.

TAZ
06-24-14, 16:39
Damn. $306 is a super nice price for a receiver set. Will hold off till I hear confirmation that they work as intended, especially with PMAGS.

TehLlama
06-24-14, 22:36
Damn. $306 is a super nice price for a receiver set. Will hold off till I hear confirmation that they work as intended, especially with PMAGS.

... and that this doesn't cause the remaining stocks of DPMS BCGs, .308 BCM Charging Handles, and reasonably priced barrels disappear.

archad
06-25-14, 00:00
Wow! Time for another build. Has anyone/know done a build in .308 with intermediate gas?

lattin1
06-28-14, 17:53
For that price I couldn't pass it up. Just ordered a set. Those are some of the best looking forged receivers I've seen.

JoshNC
06-28-14, 19:59
Too bad it is not SR25 spec upper/lower. But nice to see some reasonably priced options for the 308 AR.

SomeOtherGuy
06-28-14, 21:49
Sent a message to AP but haven't heard back yet. These appear to be exactly the DPMS (gen1) pattern, so that you might be able to swap these halves with your existing DPMS .308. Does anyone know if that is correct?

discreet
06-30-14, 00:18
... and that this doesn't cause the remaining stocks of DPMS BCGs, .308 BCM Charging Handles, and reasonably priced barrels disappear.

They are releasing BCG's with notches for the FA. They are also getting 16, and soon to be 18in barrels.

Good luck getting a lower or set anytime soon... these are and have been pretty damn backordered. Shortly after their facebook post they went into backordered status.

There are other decent costing .308 lowers on the market anyways...

Grand58742
06-30-14, 02:19
It certainly has a nice flare on the magwell from the looks of it.

n517rv
07-13-14, 18:06
Has anyone built one yet? Pics please...

I would love to know how much one of these weights using the 16" AP barrel and a light hand guard. Wouldn't it be nice if BCM made a 13 or 15" 308 KMR?

BrigandTwoFour
07-18-14, 20:24
I've had a Tactical Machining .308 lower assembled for over a year sitting in the safe. I took delivery of an AP .308 upper today, and it's very nicely machined and finished (a nice flat black). Sadly, the AP upper does not play well with the TM lower.

Hindsight is 20/20. If you want to get into the .308 game, buy a SET from someone. AP, Mega, CMT, Rainier, and others all make nice matched sets. Spend the cash up front and get one of those.

I bought the TM lower right before the last election, having a feeling about what was coming. Finding an upper that suits my wants to match up to it has been a real pain. Though, I do think TM uppers just came back in stock (I just don't like that they lack M4 feed ramps and are DPMS low profile rail)

Ready.Fire.Aim
07-18-14, 22:14
Thanks for posting the link. I built a AR10 on a SI Defense matched receiver set last year and want to assemble another.

Robert_R
07-19-14, 08:27
Just ordered mine. Doesn't show back ordered or OOS, but we'll see.

ScatmanCrothers
07-20-14, 17:31
Just ordered mine. Doesn't show back ordered or OOS, but we'll see.

Wondering about that too. I toyed with the idea of buying a set with their July 4th sale and the in stock/backorder status was flip flopping all week making me think it was somewhat live.

Unfortunately I didn't pull the trigger on the set. Really want some feedback before moving forward. I will say though that everything they are offering as far as the receiver set and buffer tube setup are concerned are by and far the best deal on the market right now to get into a DPMS 308 build.

ClearedHot
07-22-14, 16:21
If I didn't already get the Rainier .308 lower, I'd pick up one of these.

Robert_R
07-24-14, 21:57
Wondering about that too. I toyed with the idea of buying a set with their July 4th sale and the in stock/backorder status was flip flopping all week making me think it was somewhat live.

Unfortunately I didn't pull the trigger on the set. Really want some feedback before moving forward. I will say though that everything they are offering as far as the receiver set and buffer tube setup are concerned are by and far the best deal on the market right now to get into a DPMS 308 build.
Got shipping notice on mine today. Should have it next week.

yellowfin
07-25-14, 22:14
About time that they spec'd to DPMS instead of Armalite (that's not the Fairchild Aircraft subsidiary i.e. actual real Armalite). Hopefully the Armalite (why do I really hate calling them that?) pattern will die the death it needs to so we can get to a broader spectrum of universal parts in .308.

03scgt
07-26-14, 02:46
Ive been wanting one of these sets but im waiting for a few people to get them built before I jump

Voodoo_Man
07-26-14, 05:39
I am heavly considering getting a set.

Watrdawg
07-28-14, 10:50
This will be the basis for my next build also. Just have to pull the trigger on it.

M4Guru
07-28-14, 17:50
I just got a few sets today, and have all the parts inbound minus a handguard to complete them. For what they cost of a set with a complete upper (F/A and port door installed) I am very impressed.

SeriousStudent
07-28-14, 20:23
I just got a few sets today, and have all the parts inbound minus a handguard to complete them. For what they cost of a set with a complete upper (F/A and port door installed) I am very impressed.

Once you get one of them built, I am sure many of us would appreciate any observations you have to share. I know I sure would.

I'm trying to decide between building one of these sets with a precision barrel, or saving for a KAC. Thanks for your time.

will_be
08-06-14, 16:44
Just picked up my set today. Thought you guys might want to see some pics. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/07/rube8yde.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/07/te4amygu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/07/ynu8esym.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/07/ybute7y8.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/07/u8yhyvu8.jpg
Probably going to be a while before I can get this built. Sigh... Oh well.

Just realized that first pic is quite blurry. Sorry. Phone pic and all.

jwfuhrman
08-06-14, 17:31

agreed, especially when looking at the dealer costs. They could be a big hit.

SeriousStudent
08-06-14, 20:23
Thanks for the pics, will_be.

I am curious, what are you going to do for an LPK? I think I remember a post a while back from Kevin Boland of KAC, mentioning the bolt catch on the .308 rifles. That you needed to be cautious about which one you used.

I'll be interested in your results.

will_be
08-06-14, 21:03
I really haven't decided on a LPK yet. Will likely go with the one that AP sells as the takedown & pivot pins differ in length from DPMS apparently. But the whole thing is in flux as I only have the receiver set & a handguard I've purchased on the EE that's on its way. I'm likely to change my mind a few times on the final configuration.

SeriousStudent
08-06-14, 22:05
LOL, me too on the change of mind. This will be my first .308 build. So I'll be watching and reading, and see what you folks do.

lattin1
08-07-14, 13:20
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27822
Here's a .260 I just built with the Aero receiver set. Haven't shot it yet but it looks pretty sweet. Liking the Fortis rail and Luth-AR stock too.

will_be
08-09-14, 15:51
lattin1,
What BCG & other small parts did you use on your .260 build?

ejskle
08-10-14, 09:49
I'm happy to see a company like Aero release a .308 set, but I also would have preferred an SR25-spec set.

lattin1
08-11-14, 17:54
lattin1,
What BCG & other small parts did you use on your .260 build?

I'm using a DPMS bolt carrier with a JP enterprises bolt. All the small parts are a mix of left overs from other builds with the exception being the trigger which is Timney.

Digital_Damage
08-13-14, 15:35
I'm happy to see a company like Aero release a .308 set, but I also would have preferred an SR25-spec set.

This

If they could make a Sr25 spec set at that price I would be jumping all over it.

M4Guru
08-13-14, 16:26
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/joncanipe/1958386_10204488681881225_1642421441306624635_n.jpg

will_be
08-14-14, 16:55
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/joncanipe/1958386_10204488681881225_1642421441306624635_n.jpg

Very nice. Is that an Apex 12.5" handguard? What other parts did you use?
Thanks

M4Guru
08-15-14, 13:56
Rainier Select barrel, 16"
Apex 12.5 HG
Aero BCG
BCM C/H
Aero stock completion kit
Geissele LPK, Aero .308 proprietary parts
Geissele SD-E
Magpul K2 grip
Magpul CTR stock
JP Brake
Geissele gas block, pinned

The brake will be swapped for a Surefire as soon as it arrives, and I ditched the SRS for a Comp M4. The BCM CH, which I like on 5.56 guns, feels like it twists pretty badly and binds in the charging handle slot so I will swap it for a Raptor as soon as UPS drops it off.

SeriousStudent
08-15-14, 22:20
Thanks for the parts list, much appreciated.

Javelin
08-16-14, 18:39
Check out blackhawk rifle cases as they look like you're going to play tennis.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/mobile/blog.php?id=31098&cid=70

Watrdawg
10-09-14, 06:57
Aero Precision has just released a complete 308 rifle. The price point is well below $2K! I was going to use the upper and lower receiver as the base for a build but now I'm a bit hesitant to do so. At the same time this is a brand new weapon system and there isn't any history to determine the reliability of it or what kind of bugs it may have.

Riddle
10-16-14, 10:36
I picked up an AP upper and lower about a month ago. It's no mega set, but at $300 that's okay. I bought the pivot and takedown pin from aero because I read about the length issue. The mag catch was another piece I was worried about but the one that came with the ar15 lpk worked fine.

Chrisreedrules
11-10-14, 21:36
Thinking of using the AP set for a 14.5" .308 battle rifle. I'll post pics when the build is complete.

krichbaum
11-11-14, 19:57
I've been sitting on my M5 receiver set and build parts for a while now. All I need is a handguard and an action spring. I've been waiting on SLR to come out with their 308 handguards but I'm not sure I like them that much. The only other one I'm considering is the Fortis Switch, but I'm not sure about that quick release setup. Kind of spoiled with all the choices for the AR15.

TAZ
11-11-14, 21:36
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27822
Here's a .260 I just built with the Aero receiver set. Haven't shot it yet but it looks pretty sweet. Liking the Fortis rail and Luth-AR stock too.

Looks sweet how does the receiver set play with the PMAg? Drop free or slip fit?

Boba Fett v2
11-17-14, 01:37
Aero Precision has just released a complete 308 rifle. The price point is well below $2K! I was going to use the upper and lower receiver as the base for a build but now I'm a bit hesitant to do so. At the same time this is a brand new weapon system and there isn't any history to determine the reliability of it or what kind of bugs it may have.
At that price I'd give it serious consideration. Anyone know what it weighs in at? Didn't see it listed on the specs.

Alric
11-17-14, 08:21
Aero told me a complete M5 weighs 8 lbs.

Aero Precision
11-17-14, 10:46
The 16" M5 weighs right at 8lbs without optics or mag.

TMS951
11-18-14, 08:49

The 16" gun is very attractive with a retail price of 1499$, I see it with a KeyMod fore arm, any plans to sell them your standard railed forearm? Will the ones listed in your store bolt onto the M5 platform?

Aero Precision
11-18-14, 09:05
The 16" gun is very attractive with a retail price of 1499$, I see it with a KeyMod fore arm, any plans to sell them your standard railed forearm? Will the ones listed in your store bolt onto the M5 platform?We only have KeyMod M5 handguards available now. M-LOK and quad rail should be available soon.

The M4E1 handguards will not work with the M5 receivers.

polydeuces
11-19-14, 14:20

Glad to see you're joining the party.
Hope you could provide some more info: it's been noticed your upper does not play well with the BCM (gunfghter) CH.
Any suggestions or proposed fix? - since it is somewhat of an accepted standard.
Thanks.

Oh and PS...what's the chance of you guys bringing shipping charges to a bit more acceptable levels - want to order some M5 specific parts but the shipping far exceeds the cost of the parts themselves. Somewhat frustrating.

Malig8r
11-20-14, 21:46
Oh and PS...what's the chance of you guys bringing shipping charges to a bit more acceptable levels - want to order some M5 specific parts but the shipping far exceeds the cost of the parts themselves. Somewhat frustrating.

Just ordered a few lowers in the last 3 days. Current shipping is free if order exceeds $99.

SomeOtherGuy
11-20-14, 22:34

I just ordered two of the lightweight scope mounts - 3oz - and saw that shipping charges were something like $20 for one, but free for two. I'm guessing the free ship over $99 is their way of saying that small orders aren't worth their time.

polydeuces
11-20-14, 22:39
Set of M5 specific pins-$16
Shipping $15

I know very few on-line sellers even remotely close to that:
Specific-Aimsurplus and many others ship all kinds of (cheap) stuff for free.
Skdtac, Rainier, flat 7 bucks etc
So yeah....$15 for something that should cost about $3 MAX (including free usps bubble envelope.... just a bit out of line.

Aero Precision
11-21-14, 09:24
We only ship UPS via the online store and it charges based on zip code (usually $11-$17, also depends on weight).

We are working to get setup for USPS shipping but it will take some time.

krichbaum
11-21-14, 09:47
Aero, how 'bout giving actual weight for the major components you're making...handguards, receivers, and such? Most of the items I look at, including some things I was considering buying, don't have weights listed and I've had no response when asking for the weights. You're losing sales because of this.

Eurodriver
11-21-14, 09:53
Aero, how 'bout giving actual weight for the major components you're making...handguards, receivers, and such? Most of the items I look at, including some things I was considering buying, don't have weights listed and I've had no response when asking for the weights. You're losing sales because of this.

Your PM box is full.

krichbaum
11-21-14, 10:20
Thanks...it's cleared out now.

polydeuces
11-21-14, 19:26
We only ship UPS via the online store and it charges based on zip code (usually $11-$17, also depends on weight).

We are working to get setup for USPS shipping but it will take some time.

OK - thanks.

hotrodder636
11-23-14, 08:32
I am interested in any complete builds from this upper/lower. We have 2 so far in the thread, any others complete yet? This is my first venture into .308 space and looking for parts-ideas , especially for a precision/match barrel and bolt/BCG. any input is appreciated!

constructor
11-23-14, 08:54
We only have KeyMod M5 handguards available now. M-LOK and quad rail should be available soon.

Calling customer service and asking tech questions results in no answers. Could you tell me the thickness from the ID of the receiver at the buffer tube to the top of the receiver or OD of the receiver if it was round?
Some receivers above the buffer tube are too high/thick. The charge handle contacts the top of the receiver.

McCannicalBob
11-29-14, 08:27
We only have KeyMod M5 handguards available now. M-LOK and quad rail should be available soon.

You DO have M5 handguards available? They're not on the website, and I called about 2 weeks ago and was told the M5 handguards were about a month away.

Along those lines, can you tell me what exact Cerakote color is used for the FDE receivers?

polydeuces
11-30-14, 19:21
Hi Aero Precision,

Came across this:
figured you may know what to do with this. Surprised no one picked up on that yet....

Perhaps tell your photographer to re-shoot that one?

Or you could hire a shooter who's also knowledgeable shooting the "other" platform.
I'd gladly send you my portfolio.....:)

(EDIT) unless this optic IS mounted correctly in which case I really like to know what make/model we're looking at......

skp
11-30-14, 21:24
Hi Aero Precision,

Came across this:
figured you may know what to do with this. Surprised no one picked up on that yet....

Or you could hire a shooter who's also knowledgeable shooting the "other" platform.

(EDIT) unless this optic IS mounted correctly in which case I really like to know what make/model we're looking at......

I don't see the issue? The mount looks kind of like a Burris PEPR except it's not QD etc. Or are you saying the scope is on backwards? My Bushnell 1-4 scope mounts the same way. The windage dial seems like it may be on the wrong side though, so it could be rotated 90 degrees?

KingsideRook
11-30-14, 21:43
Hi Aero Precision,

Came across this:

Yes, the optic is mounted correctly. Could be a Burris MTAC or XTR:

http://i.imgur.com/mvMwN0g.jpg

could be a Leupold VX-R Patrol:

http://i.imgur.com/NBKDWFTl.jpg

Lots of low power variable scopes out there today with an objective no wider than the tube of the scope - lots more than have a wide objective bell and no swell at the eye bell, which would be the case if it were mounted backwards. In fact, I can't think of even one.

But hey, thank goodness we've got a knowledgeable expert here offering their services.

polydeuces
11-30-14, 22:23
Cool, glad to see I was wrong.
Maybe Santa will get me one of those.
Thanks.

Chrisreedrules
12-07-14, 12:29
Anyone using a CMC drop-in trigger in their lower receiver?

TAZ
12-07-14, 18:01
Anyone using a CMC drop-in trigger in their lower receiver?

Not on a 308, but I have had on of their match single stage triggers in my version of a Mk12 Mod1 for a number of years without issue. Ive named every kind of ammo from cheap South African surplus to Tula to Fed GMM with no failures of any kind. What are you looking for?

Chrisreedrules
12-07-14, 18:37
Not on a 308, but I have had on of their match single stage triggers in my version of a Mk12 Mod1 for a number of years without issue. Ive named every kind of ammo from cheap South African surplus to Tula to Fed GMM with no failures of any kind. What are you looking for?

Looking for a 3.5# single stage trigger for my M5 lower... I've got a Geissele 2 stage on my M&P10 but I don't want to go with a Geissele for this build. Going to be a 14.5" and I don't plan on using it for anything past 200 yards.

TAZ
12-08-14, 12:00
Looking for a 3.5# single stage trigger for my M5 lower... I've got a Geissele 2 stage on my M&P10 but I don't want to go with a Geissele for this build. Going to be a 14.5" and I don't plan on using it for anything past 200 yards.

That is basically the trigger I have been running in my Mk12 iteration. It's a great trigger for the intended purpose of precision shooting. I've run it as a CQB trigger for my carbine while I was piecing my new lower together. It worked, but I'm not sure that running a 3.5# single stage match trigger in that manner is a good thing. My unit has very little take or creep before the shot breaks. Very good for precision, but may not be ideal for other applications.

dpete
12-15-14, 18:00
Is there any word on how well pmags work in these lowers? I just finished reading the entire thread and didn't find any mention of it.

polydeuces
12-16-14, 20:22
They work fine.
I think you'll only see something mentioned if there's an issue.

hotrodder636
12-23-14, 20:08
Almost complete....deciding on glass and a mount and muzzle device while waiting delivery of my fore end (MI SS 15" free float)
Parts:
Aero Precision FDE cerakote M5 upper/lower
Aero BCG
Geissele SSA-E
Ranier arms 20" ultra match barrel
Syrac adjustable gas block
Magpul PRS stock
Brownells rifle spring and buffer and tube
BCM gunfighter grip
BCM gunfighter charging handle

I will get a pic when I get back to a camera. Very interested to see what kind of groups I will be able to get with this rig.

ArmChairCommando
12-23-14, 22:18
Has anyone built one yet? Pics please...

I would love to know how much one of these weights using the 16" AP barrel and a light hand guard. Wouldn't it be nice if BCM made a 13 or 15" 308 KMR?
Im building one right now. its a very well made receiver set.
Aero precision m5 receiver set
Rainier arms select 18 ss fluted barrel
Rainier arms bcg headspaced to the barrel. (They do this for free when you buy a bcg/barrel together)
Geisselle ssa-e trigger
Midwest industries ss 15 handguard w/.750 gasblock
Magpul prs stock
Dpms lr 308 buffer tube, tubb 42 coil flatwire buffer spring and dpms buffer
Hogue beavertail grip
Aero precision lpk
Vg6 gamma brake
Mid length gas tube
Aero precision ch
Larue tactical spr lt104 scope mount
Vortex viper pst 4-16X50 ffp glass

dpete
12-24-14, 18:40
What BCGs are people using that will work with the Aero FA on the upper?

ArmChairCommando
12-24-14, 19:32
What BCGs are people using that will work with the Aero FA on the upper?
Im using rainier arms bcg and barrel.

dpete
12-24-14, 22:05
I should have been more specific in my last post. The Aero upper has a forward assist plunger socket. What BCGs have the cerations on the sides to make that forward assist plunger functional?

collin.f
12-25-14, 09:16
Aero Precision has a Bolt Carrier Group with serrations.
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=291

LawndartMike
12-25-14, 12:58
Has anyone mated a Aero lower to a DPMS upper. I have an LR-243 that I need a lower for.

LawndartMike
12-30-14, 23:56
I went ahead and ordered the lower so I guess I'll answer my own question when it gets here.

nickforney
01-04-15, 10:54
figured I would share mine. I think they look pretty great. The fact that it cost half as much as my mega set makes me like them even more.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8047.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8047.jpg.html)
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8051.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8051.jpg.html)
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8037.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8037.jpg.html)
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/20141205_194108.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/20141205_194108.jpg.html)

dpete
01-04-15, 15:28
Nick, what handguard do you have on that rifle, I like the looks of it.

nickforney
01-04-15, 16:27
That is the slr mloc version.

theeulogy
01-11-15, 18:57
Got my lower last week, should get my Aero NiB BCG mid week. I am just waiting for their barrels to come back in stock now.

theeulogy
01-11-15, 19:05
Got my lower last week, should get my Aero NiB BCG mid week. I am just waiting for their barrels to come back in stock now.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/11/bb425c6f105a4b21e57776ec02edc42d.jpg

LawndartMike
01-11-15, 19:35
In regards to whether a DPMS upper fits an Aero lower:

It does fit but not what I would say is 100%. A bit loose and a different shape so it definitely doesn't look like they belong together. Guess I'll save my pennies for an Aero upper. My .243 barrel will be here on Wednesday and I'll post some pictures when it is finished.

Christopher
01-13-15, 00:52
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/11/bb425c6f105a4b21e57776ec02edc42d.jpg

What buffer tube/buffer & spring are you using? Has anyone used Aero's M5 .308 Buffer Kit at all? http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=172

theeulogy
01-13-15, 01:09
Mine is the Aero one. It came as a complete lower, but I switched out the furniture to Magpul, and added the Damage Industries ambidextrous safety. I will weigh the buffer though and find out what it weighs.

Christopher
01-13-15, 01:12
Mine is the Aero one. It came as a complete lower, but I switched out the furniture to Magpul, and added the Damage Industries ambidextrous safety. I will weigh the buffer though and find out what it weighs.

Nice, thanks.

theeulogy
01-13-15, 06:04
The buffer weighs 3.8 ounces.

hotrodder636
01-13-15, 19:35
The lighting in my basement sucks and I only had my iPad to take the pics...but here is mine. Still waiting on muzzle device (you may note no gas block or tube--I will install after my MD arrives).

Parts:
Aero Precision FDE cerakote M5 upper/lower
Aero BCG
Geissele SSA-E and Aero LPK
Ranier arms 20" ultra match barrel
Syrac adjustable gas block
Magpul PRS stock
Brownells rifle spring and buffer and tube
BCM gunfighter grip
BCM gunfighter charging handle
Vortex PST on ADM Recon 20 MOA mount
Sure fire 762 break-

Christopher
01-13-15, 19:48
The buffer weighs 3.8 ounces.

I have this buffer system http://www.pof-usa.com/shop/index.php?id_product=29&controller=product , this buffer http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar15carbine XH Carbine Buffer - 8.5 ounces , http://www.heavybuffers.com/springs.html .308 RIFLE Buffer Spring - ArmaLite #EA1095 I was told this would work. My other parts are listed below.

1.Aero Precision M5 (.308) Stripped Receiver Set
2.Aero M5 .308 Lower Parts Kit, Complete
3.Odin Works 308 KMod Forend - 15.5"

I'm in the process of looking for a good bolt barrel combo(I would like to buy the bolt barrel from the same company). Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I see people using an adjustable gas block, is this really needed or will something like the BCM or Geissele be good enough?

Curtb2336
01-15-15, 07:55
Looks like it could be good!

theeulogy
01-15-15, 13:25
Got my BCG from Aero Precision today. Their barrels were back in stock, so looks like next weekend I will be building this thing up!

hotrodder636
01-15-15, 13:33
Got my BCG from Aero Precision today. Their barrels were back in stock, so looks like next weekend I will be building this thing up!

Is that the NiB BCG they just released?

theeulogy
01-15-15, 13:59
Yep, I pre-ordered it mid December.

mrrogers1
01-18-15, 23:25

Interesting.... I wonder if they all a) look different and b) not like the advertised part.

Here is what mine look like and I'm a little on the fence about keeping them and I love all my other Aero hardware. :(

http://mrrogers1.org/Hosted%20Images/IMG_20150115_131318sm.jpg

http://mrrogers1.org/Hosted%20Images/IMG_20150115_1303112sm.jpg

http://mrrogers1.org/Hosted%20Images/IMG_20150115_131038sm.jpg

theeulogy
01-18-15, 23:28
Are those the NiB ones?

hotrodder636
01-19-15, 06:39
Very different and interesting looking NiB coating on all 3 I have seen pics of so far....

mrrogers1
01-24-15, 16:15
I'm going to repost this here, i made this on another board.

UPDATE: So I have been assured, by a bird (well, not really a bird but an official "bird" from Aero), that the finish is not only normal but if you take a look here >>>>> goo.gl/qWx72h*you may recognize the coating. Needless to say, I'm good (hell, I'm happy) with this but did ask that they consider updating their product page image cause "it ain't right".

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

theeulogy
01-24-15, 16:46
I did some looking around online and figured that it was the EXO NiB finish. Thanks for doing the leg work on that one.

Aero Precision
01-26-15, 17:28
Yes, we had Fail Zero do the nickel boron coating on our .308 BCG's. The finish may be a little bit dull, but the coating works very well.

hotrodder636
01-27-15, 16:58
Yes, we had Fail Zero do the nickel boron coating on our .308 BCG's. The finish may be a little bit dull, but the coating works very well.

Thank you for stopping by with some clarifying info....the pictures and the BCG in person had me wondering. I appreciate it.

dpete
02-07-15, 21:39
When will these NiB 308 BCGs be back in stock? They have been showing as out of stock on the Aero website for almost 2 weeks now.

Aero Precision
02-08-15, 10:55
They should be back in stock tomorrow. We were waiting on the extractor roll pins to finish assembling the bolts and they came in on Friday.

Berserkr556
02-09-15, 18:28
They should be back in stock tomorrow. We were waiting on the extractor roll pins to finish assembling the bolts and they came in on Friday.

How about pivot pins. When will they be back in stock ? Since it's a proprietary part you should stock them by the thousands:D

dpete
02-10-15, 22:11
Or how about the 308 LPKs and receiver extension kits? Its hard to put together a rifle with Aero parts if Aero doesn't even hve them in stock.

mrrogers1
02-11-15, 22:47
When will these NiB 308 BCGs be back in stock? They have been showing as out of stock on the Aero website for almost 2 weeks now.
Email came out today that they are back in AND it was a glorious thing to see the actual product picture and even the NiBor coating advertised with them.

Nice work Aero!

turnburglar
02-13-15, 01:12
So, are the Aero M5 components ruled "good to go?"

Could one use most aero components for a build and get a rifle comperable in accuracy and reliability that we get from 556 guns?

hotrodder636
02-13-15, 15:05
As soon as I can get out and shoot, I will let you know the results of my build and accuracy potential.

theeulogy
02-13-15, 18:24
Should be putting mine together in a couple weeks. I will keep everyone posted also.

polydeuces
02-14-15, 23:06

Could one use most aero components for a build and get a rifle comperable in accuracy and reliability that we get from 556 guns?

Hands down yes.
While I found it somewhat irritating having to buy their somewhat more expensive LPK - which ultimately made more sense than purchasing pins (which was the irritating part) and bolt stop by itself - I must say I am impressed by general fit and finish.
Most of all - something I have yet to see mentioned anywhere - is their stock trigger; hands down one of the smoothest mil-spec ever encountered, so much I actually didn't immediately run for Geissele. Feels like a 2-stage with a 4 lbs break (subjectively).
Perhaps I just got lucky? Regardless, already planning the next one.....

Other than that I think the main question has been answered - when building your own choosing the right (quality!) parts will yield a reliable accurate rifle - it's no longer the gamble some believe it to be.
Enough reputable makers have stepped up to the plate offering the products it takes.
And more will follow - it's inevitable.

hotrodder636
02-15-15, 09:14
I agree with Polydeuces on this. The fit, finish and quality all seem to be there and lead to what looks and feels like a high quality rig. Aero looks to be a good 1-stop-shop for components. Time will tell regarding the .308 market.

Chrisreedrules
02-16-15, 08:48
Just dropped mine off to be cerakoted. I'll post pics when I get it back in a couple weeks and get it built.

Korgs130
02-16-15, 14:30
[QUOTE=nickforney;2056146]figured I would share mine. I think they look pretty great. The fact that it cost half as much as my mega set makes me like them even more.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8047.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8047.jpg.html)

Looks good. Which buffer tube assembly and buffer did you use?

MrSunday
02-20-15, 14:18
Hands down yes.
While I found it somewhat irritating having to buy their somewhat more expensive LPK - which ultimately made more sense than purchasing pins (which was the irritating part) and bolt stop by itself - I must say I am impressed by general fit and finish.
Most of all - something I have yet to see mentioned anywhere - is their stock trigger; hands down one of the smoothest mil-spec ever encountered, so much I actually didn't immediately run for Geissele. Feels like a 2-stage with a 4 lbs break (subjectively).
Perhaps I just got lucky? Regardless, already planning the next one.....

Other than that I think the main question has been answered - when building your own choosing the right (quality!) parts will yield a reliable accurate rifle - it's no longer the gamble some believe it to be.
Enough reputable makers have stepped up to the plate offering the products it takes.
And more will follow - it's inevitable.

Just wanted to say I also lucked out on the Aero milspec trigger. The one I got is so crisp & smooth I'm not sure I will upgrade to the planned Geissele.

G.B.
02-21-15, 00:30
How long did it take for you guys to get the stuff from aero?

MrSunday
02-21-15, 10:37
I think it took about a week to receive most of my Aero orders

ironmonster
02-21-15, 14:35
I have had several orders show up in about a week. A barrel and BCG I ordered that showed in stock took more like three.

hotrodder636
02-22-15, 07:16
A little over a week for mine to come in.

Malig8r
02-22-15, 09:43
I've never waited more than 3 days unless you count the weekends. I live less than 40 miles from them. Just wish they had a storefront so I could just order and pick it up.

G.B.
02-22-15, 11:06
I did 2 separate orders on Monday and neither has shipped. Order from rainier same day and its already half way across the country. Was just wondering if they were like psa with shipping things.

polydeuces
03-08-15, 16:23
For the money they are quite the best deal.
After building one for myself I ended up building 2 more for friends who really liked the entire package.

That being said my ONLY gripe with the Aero M5 receivers is they are a bit loose. Not excessive, but more than one would like for a precision rig.
Which is too bad because overall finish is certainly A+.

Their AR15 lowers are certainly as tight as any I've ever built with so I have no question they are able to machining on that level.
Which begets the question - why not on the .308?
It bothers me enough where now I am looking at another option, even at they tune of an extra $200 if that were to give me that LaRue-type of tightness.
Would love to hear if mine - all 3 of them - were exceptions to the rule.

Malig8r
03-08-15, 17:50
I have a matched set in FDE and the fit is excellent. No wobble or play between the two pieces. I also have two M5 lowers in black which I have taken the FDE upper and placed together, again with no wobble or play.

Just ordered another M5 upper today because they are on sale. I will test this new upper with all three lowers and report back with the results.

hotrodder636
03-08-15, 20:41
I have no issue with the fit of my FDE set.

I did make it to the range today, finally! To shoot this thing. My first time on a scope, so I am hoping with some practice and training I will improve. My first grouping ever was a 5 shot group (and the last of my ammo) at just over 2"---like I said not great. The nice part was that shot 3,4 & 5 went into a hole measuring 0.4" after I adjusted my stock sandbag. BTW, this was at 100 yards. The rest of my ammo was used for zeroing. Lesson learned--take more ammo. I will get a pic of the group up soon.

polydeuces
03-08-15, 21:27
Which is where I think the difference is at - thickness of the FDE (or any other) might just do that.
Mine are 'mil-spec' finish - was actually wondering if adding 'coating' to the involved contact areas might increase tightness.

Malig8r
03-08-15, 22:19
When I said I had two lowers in black I should have actually stated that the two lowers were black anodized. (I thought that was inferred) The upper I just ordered today is black anodized as well. So when it arrives in a couple days I will test the fit on all three lowers and report the results.

MrSunday
03-08-15, 23:51
My FDE M5 set fit is perfect. No wobble or play whatsoever. I'm very happy with my receiver set.

Malig8r
03-11-15, 19:35
Ordered my assembled upper on Sunday and received it on Wednesday. As promised, I have taken this upper and matched it with all three stripped lowers, two of which are black anodized and one which is FDE cerekote.

I am happy to report, for me, that the black anodized upper fits all three lowers with no play or wobble. I can see what amounts to a sliver of light between the upper and lowers but nothing more and that is when I hold them up to a light source.

So there you have it...my sample of three...all of which I am very impressed with and to be clear: I have no affiliation whatsoever with Aero Precision. As all matter of fact I haven't even met anyone that works for them.

Psybain
03-16-15, 12:46
Just ordered the m5 fde lower for my new build, and their mil discount is very impressive. Thanks to everyone in here who inspired me to start my .308 precision build.

dpete
03-25-15, 10:33
I just had my newly finished 308 AR to the range yesterday for its 2nd outing. Its an Aero lower and LPK, enhanced M5 upper set, Aero NiB BCG, and 18.5" Criterion barrel from Fulton armory. All I can say is I'm very impressed. After reading some of the horror stories about Palmetto 308s I am very glad I went with the Aero set. It ate the 90 rounds I made up for function testing without a hiccup. Two different types of mags (20 round Pmag and 5 round ASC) fed and ejected flawlessly. I was surprised to find 2 o-rings on the extractor spring and all ejected shells are flying out to about 1 or 2 o'clock and landing about 8 feet out when fired from a standing position. My next step is to get some hand load ladders made up and find out what she can really do with bullets made especially for her.

Mauser KAR98K
04-01-15, 18:59
Would a Noveske barrel work with the upper/lower set, and bolt?

Am looking to do a precision AR308 build and found this thread.

hotrodder636
04-01-15, 19:10
Is the Noveske an AR10 or DPMS pattern?

If it is a DPMS pattern, then yes it should work.

Malig8r
04-01-15, 19:21
It will work but I'm pretty sure 308 Noveske barrels are Armalite pattern so you would need that BCG type to go with it.

Mauser KAR98K
04-01-15, 20:09
Is the Noveske an AR10 or DPMS pattern?

If it is a DPMS pattern, then yes it should work.

It will work but I'm pretty sure 308 Noveske barrels are Armalite pattern so you would need that BCG type to go with it.

Now I'm confused. What system does the M5 use? Should I try a Rainer barrel?

Malig8r
04-01-15, 21:11

Ok..let's talk about 308s. They come in two "patterns" or types. There is the AR10 or Armalite pattern or the DPMS LR308 pattern. The majority of 308s out there follow the DPMS LR308 pattern.

When you talk about building your own with a matched upper & lower set you can choose the type of 308 AR you want because the upper & lower set do not determine the type. The barrel and bcg in conjunction with the buffer assembly determine the type. The buffer assembly has less impact on your choice because you can run either type as long as you have the right buffer tube length to correspond to the correct buffer group.

There is a lot of information to be found about this stuff here in the forum so please read as much as you can prior to just ordering parts. Often times people mistakenly use the term AR10 when what they may actually mean is LR308 pattern a.k.a. DPMS pattern rifle.

Malig8r
04-01-15, 21:23
P.S. If you go to the Rainier Arms website and do a search for 308 barrels you will see that they make both Armalite and DPMS options for you to choose from...There is no TDP for everyone to follow so the market is still evolving.

Simple answer: call them, explain what you want. If you order the barrel from them they will head space it to your bcg for free. Not a bad deal.

Plasman
04-02-15, 01:19

Noveske .308 AR parts are AR-10 pattern.

You can use a Noveske barrel in an LR308 pattern receiver set (M5), however the AR-10 pattern barrel/barrel extension should be used with an AR-10 pattern BCG and gas tube.

Ilove2shoot
04-02-15, 11:46
A difference most people do not realize with the DPMS/AR10 barrels is the barrel extension. the AR10 extension is a few thousandths larger in diameter then the DPMS. this may not always be a bad thing....unless the upper receiver is made on the really tight end of the specs for the barrel opening. You do run a good chance of having a press fit. One solution I use is to stick the upper into a oven on low, 200 - 250 is usually fine, and the barrel in the freezer. they will usually drop right together then. once the equalize tempts.....they are not coming apart easily.

officerX
04-02-15, 13:15
I'm new to .308 ARs so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. Is the LPK the same as an AR15 LPK?

Malig8r
04-02-15, 13:55
I'm new to .308 ARs so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. Is the LPK the same as an AR15 LPK?

Depends on the receiver set, but for the most part yes they are the same. The Aero Precision set requires takedown pins that are a bit longer so it's best to order those for your kit.

officerX
04-02-15, 13:57
Depends on the receiver set, but for the most part yes they are the same. The Aero Precision set requires takedown pins that are a bit longer so it's best to order those for your kit.

I did some researching after I posted this and found that the bolt catch and mag catch may be different as well. Any info on that?

Malig8r
04-02-15, 14:53
I did some researching after I posted this and found that the bolt catch and mag catch may be different as well. Any info on that?

I'm gonna be honest; I just ordered the LPK from Aero to prevent any mishaps. I figured that if I had to order the takedown pins and bolt catch I might as well just order the whole kit and replace the pistol grip with what I really wanted. Besides, the trigger groups in this kit are pretty nice for stock triggers.

Let me be clear, I ordered the LPK from Aero for their M5 receiver set.

officerX
04-02-15, 14:56
I'm gonna be honest; I just ordered the LPK from Aero to prevent any mishaps. I figured that if I had to order the takedown pins and bolt catch I might as well just order the whole kit and replace the pistol grip with what I really wanted. Besides, the trigger groups in this kit are pretty nice for stock triggers.

Yeah I understand. I'll probably do the same just didn't want to if the box of small parts I have at home would work. Thanks.

Malig8r
04-02-15, 15:08
That box of small parts is just an excuse to build another AR 15 :cool:

G.B.
04-02-15, 19:25
On 308s the takedown, pivot pin, mag catch, and bolt are different than an ar 15. Some company's like rainier use dpms 308 lpk. Others like aero and psa have their own lpks, I believe the biggest difference is the pivot and takedown pin. Most will tell you which lpk to use.

hotrodder636
04-02-15, 20:36
I personally am using a Rainier Ultramatch in mine. I have posted pictures of mine in this thread if you want to see a finished product, post #114.

Mauser KAR98K
04-02-15, 21:28
I personally am using a Rainier Ultramatch in mine. I have posted pictures of mine in this thread if you want to see a finished product, post #114.

How is the accuracy?

hotrodder636
04-03-15, 19:13
Consistent Sub-MOA to right at 1MOA if I do my part and that is with factory ammo. I am still learning how to shoot with a scope, it is a steeper and more challenging learning curve than I expected.

How is the accuracy?

ttheo24
04-04-15, 14:31
-Aero Precision M5 lower and M5E1 upper receiver with 15" rail, Nib-x BCG
-Magpul Industries Corp. PRS stock
-Battle Tested Equipment 3.5lb trigger
-impact weapon components keymod bipod mount
-LaRue Tactical LT112 20moa mount
-ergogrip grip
-Bushnell 6-24x50 scope
-6-9 swivel bipod
-bravocompanyusa charging handle
-Advanced Armament Corp. brakeout 51t

dpete
04-11-15, 17:54
I just added a Phase 5 EBRv2/308 lever (BAD lever) to my Aero rifle and it works perfectly right out of the package. For anyone who likes what the Magpul BAD lever does for AR15 bolt releases, you should check out the Phase 5. The Magpul will not work on the recessed bolt catch area on the upper of the Aero M5 due to its bolt on backing plate. The Phase 5 is a one piece unit that worked flawlessly for me today.

Robert_R
04-11-15, 21:54
What magazines are working well with the M5s?

hotrodder636
04-11-15, 23:07
Magpul 10 and 25 rounders work fine for me thus far.

MrSunday
04-11-15, 23:11
What magazines are working well with the M5s?

That's what I'm using as well. Mostly the Pmag 10

Malig8r
04-11-15, 23:12
Magpul 10 and 25 rounders work fine for me thus far.

I will echo this statement. Haven't tried any metal mags thus far because the Gen 3 Pmags have fit and functioned well.

dpete
04-12-15, 11:05
I have two ASC stainless steel 5 rounders that I will use for hunting. One needed a feed lip Dremeling to feed correctly but afterward its perfect.
Magpul 20s are good to go too.

G.B.
04-12-15, 17:43
I use magpul and a dpms metal.