PDA

View Full Version : Still Rucking at 63

WillBrink
06-24-14, 09:30
I thought this was an interesting read by former CAG member on rucking:

Still Rucking at 63 – An Interview with Former Delta Force Operator Ed Bugarin

ITS Tactical: What are your thoughts regarding ruck weight, distance and pace for everyone from beginners to seasoned athletes?

Ed Bugarin: I was already conditioned to ruck runs but if you’re not, here’s my recommendation. First step is to learn correct movement techniques (POSE walk/running). Once you get that down, or as you begin to learn correct movement, start with a weight that allows you to maintain the correct stance/position for walking/running.

Slowly adding weight enables the body to adapt to the stress and allows the skin to take the abrasion of the points where the ruck and straps rub against the body. As with running, start at a short distance based on what you’re used to and gradually increase the distance. As with any exercise program, allow the body to slowly adapt to the stress of what you’re doing. This minimizes the chance of injury; train smart.

You could add the exact weight you will be using for the ruck run, but I think you’ll get negative results because if you’re not used to carrying a heavy ruck, you’ll immediately hate it. If you hate something, you’re less likely to do it.

Cont:

http://www.itstactical.com/centcom/interviews/still-rucking-at-63-an-interview-with-former-delta-force-operator-ed-bugarin/

Tim059
06-27-14, 00:10
I read that article a little while ago. That man is an animal! Rucking is a lot more difficult than it sounds. I had to prepare for a particularly difficult SWAT selection course where I covered about 100 miles under a ruck in a week. I started training up well in advance by going slow and light and progressively working my way up. When I was ready to start the course I was well prepared for the week and I ended up crushing the unknown distance ruck (which I later found out was almost 30 miles). I do a lot of long distance running and Crossfit, but I still like to go out for a 10 mile ruck every now and then.

ABNAK
06-27-14, 03:41
That sumbitch is f*****g nuts! Damn, I whined about my 5 cardio/3 weight workouts routine. Jeesh!

How that man has knee cartilage left after all these years of not only rucking but RUNNING with one on is beyond me.

Will, what do you think about the POSE style of running? Sounds "simple" but I'll bet it's hard as hell to actually learn. I wonder if it's something you could learn to do with bad knees?

dth4lf
06-27-14, 06:20
Cool article. Thanks for posting, Will.

WillBrink
06-27-14, 07:40
That sumbitch is f*****g nuts! Damn, I whined about my 5 cardio/3 weight workouts routine. Jeesh!

How that man has knee cartilage left after all these years of not only rucking but RUNNING with one on is beyond me.

Will, what do you think about the POSE style of running? Sounds "simple" but I'll bet it's hard as hell to actually learn. I wonder if it's something you could learn to do with bad knees?

I don't have any experience with it. Ed stresses repeatedly the importance of technique as a major reason for his longevity however. Per the article on POSE linked within the article:

"It sounds quite simple, but it takes a lot of practice to retrain your muscle memory to learn the movement, and to unlearn old habits."

I would think it would be quite difficult in fact, but perhaps worth the effort. Can't speak to what it will do for those with pre existing knee issues.

superstratjunky
06-27-14, 08:13
Damn, that's a real man.

X-man2112
09-01-14, 20:21
I actually saw the interview and was blown away. Its like when you go run in the mornings and you see these 70 and 80 year old guys running 5 miles at a 9 minute pace it makes you inspired to do more.

JAustin316
09-24-14, 15:52
Thanks for the read! Been getting into GORUCK Events and this will help me out!

g5m
10-12-14, 10:46
Nice link there.