PDA

View Full Version : Loading .223 with a LCT

tcoz
06-26-14, 06:58
I'm getting ready to begin loading .223 with my trusty Lee Classic Turret and I have a question about the best procedure. After cleaning the cases, my initial step will be to run them through the sizing/decapping die. I'll then trim, chamfer & deburr them and ream and/or remove the primer pocket crimp if one exists. My question involves the priming step. I use the Lee Safety Prime system which works great for pistol, but in this case since I'll be doing case prep between decapping and then seating a primer, I would have to run the case back up through the sizing die after prep in order to load a primer at the top of the ram stroke before seating it at the bottom of the stroke and I doubt whether cases should be run through a sizing die again after being prepped. So, should I load the little cup with a primer by hand before it would run the case into the die or should I run it all the way up without the case in the shell holder then put the case on when the ram is on the downward stroke or should I just buy a hand primer and not use the press at all for the priming step?

Any feedback would be appreciate. Thanks in advance.

markm
06-26-14, 08:23
I hand prime. I wouldn't run the case through the sizer again as a matter of standard practice. If there's an expander ball in that die, you're working the hell out of the necks and will see splits sooner and for sure be getting inconsistent neck tension since necks never seem to harden uniformly, even in the same batch of brass.

tcoz
06-26-14, 08:26
That's what I figured. Damn, you guys are good!

Steel head
06-26-14, 08:38
I hand prime. I wouldn't run the case through the sizer again as a matter of standard practice. If there's an expander ball in that die, you're working the hell out of the necks and will see splits sooner and for sure be getting inconsistent neck tension since necks never seem to harden uniformly, even in the same batch of brass.

Pretty much covers it.
I use my LCT to prime pistol but hand prime rifle brass.