PDA

View Full Version : Is the vis worth it?

gishooter
06-06-08, 22:54
removed

five13
06-07-08, 06:11
Not a lot of help but a few benefits would be the vis being a monolithic upper provides a continous upper rail, so you have a more stable / longer platform for mounting optics. and a clean look.

The downside is impact or damage to the rail and you chance ruining your entire upper.

The original monolthic upper the MRP- was designed to allow easy barrel changes, but barrel selection was limited. The vis is one barrel with many options.

HAMMERDROP
06-07-08, 10:13
- to me ... I have a VIS3 upper 14.5 Noveske barrel - I considered a rifle length LMT MRP and that could be a solid choice too but you have to use LMT barrels last I heard ... the VIS lower rail is removable but is not M203 compatible as it is marked on the side of mine the VIS3 VIS 1&2 may be M203 compatible ? ? I dunno?
Weight is not a factor souped up ...my VIS weighs nearly what my M4 did with all the gadgets mounted on it, the VIS is hell for stout. I looked at both VIS3 and MRP with $$ in hand and chose the VLTOR, nothing against LMT which is more expensive but includes a barrel so dollar for dollar it was nearly the same amount with no sights and no BCG. I felt the VIS had more long term options for me but mine will never be piston adaptable -per techs @VLTOR, a minus. The rails are easily protected with rail covers on either with the VIS or LMT but if you ruin the lower rails on a VIS I am sure you can get a replacement which is a plus ... a barrel is an added expense on a VIS but its your choice of what barrel you use another plus.

Michael