PDA

View Full Version : Any successful xtreme 223 loads using CFE223 powder?

dpete
06-26-14, 11:23
I've been trying to work up a load using xtreme bullet's 55 grain 223 FMJs and CFE223 powder for a while now with little success. My rifle is a Colt M4 with a 1:7 twist, 16" barrel and Hornady 55 grain FMJs will shoot quarter sized 10 shot groups at 100 yards using 27 grains of CFE223 powder. I can't get the xtreme groups smaller than about 3-4" no matter what powder charge of CFE I've tried. I've gone as low as 25.6 gr so far and I'm wondering if anyone else may have a load that works for them, or how low I should go to see if slowing them down may help close up the groups? I'm open to any suggestions to get the xtremes to work including using a different powder. Maybe I'm trying to get accuracy from them that they aren't capable of but I'de like to know for sure.

If anyone has a pet load using these bullets please post it up with the pattern size your getting with it.

markm
06-26-14, 14:46
I'm not familiar with xtreme... but it sounds like the bullets are just crap. Hornady is the best you can get for a 55 gr FMJ, so it's no surprise to see the accuracy you're getting.

If accuracy is your goal, VMAX is your bullet on the light end. 77 SMKs are what you could be shooting on the heavy end. Both of those should do good with CFE.

rjacobs
06-26-14, 15:02
Somebody posted somewhere that they got info out of one of XTreme's engineers that the max speed for that bullet was 2400-2500FPS. If so, thats garbage.

I shoot a TON of XTreme plated pistol bullets and am a distributor for them, but I havent ever shot their 55g .223 FMJ's for this reason. I dont even recommend them to my customers.

But the 6k count box's of the Hornady's and your price is pretty close or cheaper than the XTreme price anyway.

bullittmcqueen
06-26-14, 16:11
I've had similar results using accurate 2230 and xtreme 55g's. 3-4 MOA groups and then sub-MOA with nosler 69g and vmax 55g. So I've relegated the xtremes to just blaster ammo only.

ace4059
06-26-14, 17:32
I currently am trying to load some Xtreme 150 gr bullets for 300 blkout. The best accuracy I have been able to load is about 4 moa. The lower end loads (1475 fps) seem to work the best but I have feeding issues. I wish I would have done more research before purchasing 1000, but I already bought them. I down right hate those plated bullets. I purchased them for shooting metal targets at closer ranges, but end up doing failure drills with them. Hopefully the 223 Xtreme bullets will feed in your gun.

dpete
06-26-14, 20:37
I currently am trying to load some Xtreme 150 gr bullets for 300 blkout. The best accuracy I have been able to load is about 4 moa. The lower end loads (1475 fps) seem to work the best but I have feeding issues. I wish I would have done more research before purchasing 1000, but I already bought them. I down right hate those plated bullets. I purchased them for shooting metal targets at closer ranges, but end up doing failure drills with them. Hopefully the 223 Xtreme bullets will feed in your gun.

The xtreme FMJs are jacketed and they feed just fine. I read on another forum in a thread about them that a 22.5-23.5gr load worked but the author of the post mentioned 2 other powders along with CFE223. I'll probably start somewhere in the 22gr range and go from there. As long as the rifle functions properly is going below the starting load for a powder harmful to anything?

Steel head
06-26-14, 20:53
I shoot a lot of those bullets.
Never got a good load with then with a few powders but with some others they group decently.
They are 1 1/2-2 MOA bullets normally for me.
W748 and xterminator work well in my rifles with those bullets.
Try another powder and I also had the best results loading em a bit long, 2.25 or even longer if they'll still feed.

waveslayer
06-26-14, 21:57
I have just finished my load development with the my new R3 upper from RRA. I had .890" groups at 200 yards using
Lake City brass
77SMK
23.7gr CFE
Remington 7.5 primers
C.O.A.L 2.260"

Also a close second was 75 Hornady HPBT with XBR powder

dpete
06-28-14, 13:00
I have just finished my load development with the my new R3 upper from RRA. I had .890" groups at 200 yards using
Lake City brass
77SMK
23.7gr CFE
Remington 7.5 primers
C.O.A.L 2.260"

Also a close second was 75 Hornady HPBT with XBR powder

Thats great that you have found a load and bullet that you like. My intent with this thread was to see if anyone out there has found a successful load they like using xtreme FMJs and CFE223 powder. I'll re-ask my previous question.

As long as the rifle functions properly is going below the starting load for a powder harmful to anything?

waveslayer
06-28-14, 13:04
Thats great that you have found a load and bullet that you like. My intent with this thread was to see if anyone out there has found a successful load they like using xtreme FMJs and CFE223 powder. I'll re-ask my previous question.

As long as the rifle functions properly is going below the starting load for a powder harmful to anything?
Going below the starting load can be fine depending on the case capacity of your cases and the bullet length. I'm not familiar with the Xtreme FMJ's but using around 25gr. Of CFE with my 55gr. FMJ billets have been a sub MOA load for my other RRA

dpete
06-29-14, 12:54
Going below the starting load can be fine depending on the case capacity of your cases and the bullet length. I'm not familiar with the Xtreme FMJ's but using around 25gr. Of CFE with my 55gr. FMJ billets have been a sub MOA load for my other RRA

Using Hornady 55gr. FMJ boattails over 27 gr. of CFE223, 10 shot groups fit in a 1" circle at 100 yards. I'm trying to figure out if the xtremes can get closer to that than 2-3 inches. Maybe I'm chasing a goal that the xtremes can't achieve. We'll see.

dpete
07-03-14, 22:55
I shot 6, 5 shot groups tonight starting with 22 grains of CFE223 and stepping up .4 grains for each group. The 22 and 22.4 grain groups were about 1 1/2" in diameter at 100 yards. From 22.8 grains and above the groups opened back up to 3-4". I don't have a chronograph but it seems these xtremes like going slow. After I finish testing them with a different powder I'll be dropping down and testing 20-22 grain loads of the CFE223.

waveslayer
07-03-14, 22:56
I shot 6, 5 shot groups tonight starting with 22 grains of CFE223 and stepping up .4 grains for each group. The 22 and 22.4 grain groups were about 1 1/2" in diameter at 100 yards. From 22.8 grains and above the groups opened back up to 3-4". I don't have a chronograph but it seems these xtremes like going slow. After I finish testing them with a different powder I'll be dropping down and testing 20-22 grain loads of the CFE223.
With .223 I think .4 is almost a too big of a spread. I usually do .2 to find a good node.

GunnutAF
07-08-14, 00:15
Heck my swag 55gr HPs shoot better then those crappy bullets.:rolleyes: And I can load them at max velocity no problem. Thats obviously why they are so cheap.:no: