PDA

View Full Version : ANy know where I can get a colt upper

gishooter
06-06-08, 23:03
removed

Submariner
06-07-08, 07:44
Try this every day. (http://ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=7)

jh1
06-07-08, 07:59
My father gave me his Colt match HBAR some years ago (he lives in CA), I am in the process of rebuilding it. It had the A2 Upper with the carrying handle. I want a colt flat top upper to put on it. I already have a CMMG I was about to use but I really want to stick with Colt for fit and finish. I have googled and yahooed them and had no luck. Does anyone know where I can find one? Thanks

Try specialized armament warehouse.

TxGun
06-07-08, 12:39
I have a Colt Match Target Competition H-BAR upper for sale or trade. It is post-ban (no flash-hider or bayo lug), 20" barrel, flat-top. It is in 98% condition at least (there are zero scratches, dings). I want a lightweight upper. E-mail if interested.

John Fettes
06-07-08, 16:22
Is to have a reasonable knowledgeable individual (RKI) swap out your current upper with a Colt's flat top upper by using your current barrel & BCG. I think that you'll also need a taller front sight, or replace the existing FSB with the F marked version.

Brownell's catalogs the uppers, but has never had them when I looked. I'm sure that SAW will have them and could do barrel the swap too.

Hoplite advertises Colt uppers in Shotgun News for about $800. I'd considered getting one myself to put on my Government Carbine. For that price, I could also invest in a Kotonics 6.8.

Good shopping!

John

gishooter
06-07-08, 16:30
removed

John Fettes
06-07-08, 16:36
The FT upper pictured looks like it comes with the dust cover & forward assist. I wasn't sure so I asked them. They said yes, they do.

John

gishooter
06-07-08, 20:32
Appreciate the help.

MMcfpd
06-08-08, 08:43
Last winter I did pretty much what you're describing, swapping out the A2 receiver on a 6520 upper with a Colt flattop receiver purchased from Brownells. It came without the forward assist and port door, but some minor griping resulted in my receiving those parts.

Technically the swap is not all that challenging, although breaking free a factory tightened Colt barrel nut can be. I wound up popping the upper in the freezer and then applying a bit of propane torch.

When completed the standard (non F marked) FSB with the stock sight post zeroed just fine at 50 yards with an A.R.M.S. 40L rear BUIS, just requiring the FSP be backed out a bit. If that doesn't quite get you there, Bushmaster sells a taller front sight post.

OldNavyGuy
06-08-08, 09:48
My father gave me his Colt match HBAR some years ago (he lives in CA), I am in the process of rebuilding it. It had the A2 Upper with the carrying handle. I want a colt flat top upper to put on it. I already have a CMMG I was about to use but I really want to stick with Colt for fit and finish. I have googled and yahooed them and had no luck. Does anyone know where I can find one? Thanks

here is a good starting point if you have not found what you want http://www.gunbroker.com/

CWAmeden
06-08-08, 16:06
Last winter I did pretty much what you're describing, swapping out the A2 receiver on a 6520 upper with a Colt flattop receiver purchased from Brownells. It came without the forward assist and port door, but some minor griping resulted in my receiving those parts.

Technically the swap is not all that challenging, although breaking free a factory tightened Colt barrel nut can be. I wound up popping the upper in the freezer and then applying a bit of propane torch.

When completed the standard (non F marked) FSB with the stock sight post zeroed just fine at 50 yards with an A.R.M.S. 40L rear BUIS, just requiring the FSP be backed out a bit. If that doesn't quite get you there, Bushmaster sells a taller front sight post.

Thanks for that post. I also have a 6520 and have been wanting to swapout for a flattop reciever.

Cold Zero
06-08-08, 17:31
I also have a 6520 and have been wanting to swapout for a flattop reciever.

Are you sure that the barrrel from the 6520 can be mounted on a flat top receiver?:confused:

Submariner
06-08-08, 20:24
Are you sure that the barrrel from the 6520 can be mounted on a flat top receiver?:confused:

I have done it.;)

MMcfpd
06-08-08, 21:57
I have done it.;)

As have I:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/Bushie_light_05.jpg

I'm not sure why one might think it couldn't be done.

hellbound
06-09-08, 08:41

the only issue you might have is zeroing the standard height FSB with the BUIS... but everything else works great...

the 6520 barrels i have use an M4 barrel extension as well so they match right up with a Colt M4 upper receiver...

markm
06-09-08, 08:46

The Taller front sight post "patch" is not acceptable to me. I'm just anal about my irons.