PDA

View Full Version : New WWII film, Fury . . .

Moose-Knuckle
06-26-14, 16:57
This looks very promising, Brad Pitt leads a WWII tank crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OGvZoIrXpg&feature=kp

Big A
06-26-14, 17:11
It does look like it could be a winner.

Caeser25
06-26-14, 17:18
Looks good for achange.

HKGuns
06-26-14, 17:24
Real hard for me to be excited about any movie with BP as the lead.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-26-14, 17:25
Sherman vs a Tiger in an open field. It's going to take some pretty interesting story telling not to make that suck. The rest looks pretty good.

Moose-Knuckle
06-26-14, 17:41
Sherman vs a Tiger in an open field.

Yeah I caught that too. We shall see, I got the impression that he set up some sort of trap and used themselves as bait for the Tiger drawing them out into the open.

Whiskey_Bravo
06-26-14, 17:52
Looks like it might be a good one.

Averageman
06-26-14, 18:47
Open field, mud and some slick driving by the Sherman to get to the rear or flank and it could be done.
God Bless the Second Armor Divison, "Hell On Wheels".

Moose-Knuckle
06-26-14, 19:38
I watched the trailer for a second time when I was showing it to a buddy of mine and at 1:59 I noticed Pitt's character uses a captured StG 44. Sweet!

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-26-14, 20:02
I watched the trailer for a second time when I was showing it to a buddy of mine and at 1:59 I noticed Pitt's character uses a captured StG 44. Sweet!

I noticed that too. Looks like a good gear head movie...

Moose-Knuckle
06-26-14, 20:05
I noticed that too. Looks like a good gear head movie...

Yeah, I was sold when I saw the panzerfäust scene. :D

MountainRaven
06-26-14, 20:16
Sherman vs a Tiger in an open field. It's going to take some pretty interesting story telling not to make that suck. The rest looks pretty good.

M4A3E8 "Easy Eight" against a Tiger I? Not necessarily. Now if it were an earlier variant, like an M4 or an M4A1, yeah, they'd be pretty boned.

SteyrAUG
06-26-14, 23:13

Yeah, I'm still not over Inglorious Bastards, one of the worst movies I've seen since Natural Born Killers.

RMiller
06-26-14, 23:23
Looks like it has potential.

montanadave
06-26-14, 23:38
Tanks blowing shit up? What's not to love? I'll leave it to the ex-armored guys to assess it's authenticity.

Endur
06-27-14, 01:42
Looks good and I will be going to see it.

Moose-Knuckle
06-27-14, 03:39
Yeah, I'm still not over Inglorious Bastards, one of the worst movies I've seen since Natural Born Killers.

That's not because of Pitt though, we all know your love affair with Tarantino films, Natural Born Killers was written by QT not directed however. :jester:

I too was disappointed with Inglorious Bastards as it was supposed to be QT's "guys on a mission" movie based upon one of his favorite films of all time (and mine) The Dirty Dozen.

Caeser25
06-27-14, 06:21
Open field, mud and some slick driving by the Sherman to get to the rear or flank and it could be done.
God Bless the Second Armor Divison, "Hell On Wheels".

One of my drill seargants had a 2nd armored division patch from the gulf war. Pretty rare patch nowadays. Most men are retired tha would've worn that patch.

Spurholder
06-27-14, 07:38
^ Tiger Brigade, 2AD...what a unit! Guys like Doc Bahnsen, JW Thurman, and others all helped build that unit during the 70's and 80's.

Getting back to the movie - I think I actually heard a fire command and an "on the way" from the gunner. Looks great!

Crow Hunter
06-27-14, 07:49
Actually, that movie has some basis in fact supposedly. I don't know how much but a woman that works for my wife's grandfather was a consultant on that movie and he was in some serious action.

I actually heard about this movie last year some time, IIRC, when my wife was telling me about her new hire that was talking about her Grandfather doing a bunch of consulting for a new movie with Brad Pitt about WWII tanks. She knew I would be highly interested in it.

Of course you know how Hollyweird is with movie accuracy. I can ask my wife if she can find out more about it, assuming that woman still works for her.

WillBrink
06-27-14, 08:37
Sherman vs a Tiger in an open field. It's going to take some pretty interesting story telling not to make that suck..

LOL, thought the exact same thing. I was really enjoying the trailer and had a :rolleyes: moment when I saw that. Is this one of those "based on a true story" deals?

sandman99and9
10-17-14, 14:33
Just got back from seeing the movie with my son and it was pretty good. A few "Hollywood" type moments but overall a good flick. I won't give away anything but the action scenes were done very well and was cool to see different color tracers flying around in the battle scenes. The battle with the Tiger has more to it than the trailers give away so you will have to go see it :)

S.M.

brickboy240
10-17-14, 15:20
Yeah, the Sherman versus Tiger or Panzer was a VERY different match up than Garand versus K-98. LOL

Still...I will probably go see it.

-brickboy240

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-17-14, 15:25
Say it last night. I was screening it since my 9 year old son loves WWII tanks.

About 45 seconds is all it took to know my soon won't see it for a few years.

Good movie. Pretty gory. Not as good as Saving Private Ryan, similar idea though.

Reagans Rascals
10-17-14, 16:37
Looks good but I'll be betting the farm on American Sniper....

kwelz
10-17-14, 23:24
Watched it with the wife tonight... Holy shit. This movie is... Well just go see it. That is all I can say. It left me speechless.

Big A
10-17-14, 23:26
Watched it with the wife tonight... Holy shit. This movie is... Well just go see it. That is all I can say. It left me speechless.

Pretty much ditto. Really good movie. Certainly worth your 10$.Mi

Voodoo_Man
10-18-14, 00:27
Good movie.

Gritty and complex.

Left you thinkin

eightmillimeter
10-18-14, 17:09

I think he did a great job.

The way this happens and plays out you just can't see coming. Great scene.

Yeah I caught that too. We shall see, I got the impression that he set up some sort of trap and used themselves as bait for the Tiger drawing them out into the open.

I won't reveal anything but no, several American tanks run across a lone Tiger and a battle ensues.

BP carries a captured STG44 throughout the entire movie.

was cool to see different color tracers flying around in the battle scenes. The battle with the Tiger has more to it than the trailers give away so you will have to go see it :)
S.M.

Yeah, apparently the Germans in this movie use green/blue tracers. Aside from that, ALL the special effects are very well done.

Anyways, it was worth the $9 to go see it for sure, plus I'll be buying the blu-ray.

Reagans Rascals
10-18-14, 19:21
I'm going to see it tonight at 10:40 Central Time.... going by myself so I can just simply enjoy the movie with no distractions

this may put me in the dog house but I really enjoyed Inglorious Basterds... and I like Brad Pitt

sometimes you just simply have to suspend belief and enjoy the ride...

Plumber237
10-18-14, 20:40
I appreciate all the reviews, I was fairly skeptical about this movie after the preview was release and due to my hatred of Shia LeBeouf...now I am going to it for sure thanks to you guys.

Straight Shooter
10-18-14, 20:53
Just left the theater moments ago. WHEW. SUPERB movie, intense as hell. This one is def gonna be bought on Blue Ray.

Koshinn
10-18-14, 21:02
But was the movie 100% historically accurate?

kwelz
10-18-14, 21:09
As far as the exact battles happening as they were depicted? Can't say. However a number of people have said that the movie nailed exactly what it was like being in one of those tanks.

Straight Shooter
10-18-14, 21:45
But was the movie 100% historically accurate?

I don't know, who knows. The weapons were spot on, wondering what was the S&W revolver Pitt had? Anyway, historically accurate or not, A really great flick.

Ned Christiansen
10-18-14, 22:07
Model 1917. I like that you could see 230 ball rounds from the front of the cylinder.

ForTehNguyen
10-18-14, 23:16
80% rating on Rotten

MountainRaven
10-18-14, 23:40
LAV posted to Facebook that he recommends it. As did Max Uriarte (the guy who does Terminal Lance).

Todd00000
10-19-14, 01:34
Just saw it, it was tactically sound, for a movie, for most of it; but the end was pure drama. There was only one scene that I didn't understand why they put it in. It's "Memphis Belle" for the Army with the appropriate tragic characters.

Tactically sound for a movie: Watch the making of "Saving Private Ryan" and they talk about this, how they can't have tactical spacing and proper weapon's stand off distance because you would see so little of what is actually happening in any given shot.

Reagans Rascals
10-19-14, 02:37
Just finished it and it was definitely worth the money. Sound effects were outstanding, hearing the cannon rounds whiz by and skipping off the deck was very vivid.

Its not a movie made specifically for the discerning, "historically accurate" buff. It tells a fictional story set upon a historical backdrop... it doesn't retell history.. and I think that is where a lot of people get hung up... it is made for people who have zero in-depth historical and weapons background and will simply go "oh man look at that, that was so cool"... instead of "ehhhh he didn't even clear the weapon right" or " you don't use those tactics in an urban setting"

Lone Survivor was a very good movie, but if you know the story and have read the book numerous times as I have it can be frustrating... but you have to put all that aside and simply enjoy the show, which most definitely can be hard for some, as I myself have trouble with it most times if I can instantly call bullshit on something.

All in all, it was an entertaining movie, gave me 2+ hours of time where I didn't have to think of or do anything but was satisfied, and will be added to my collection when its released on bluray... and that is very rare to find these days

Abraham
10-19-14, 08:59
I like Brad Pitt.

He was great in "Snatch"!

I'll definitely see this latest movie when it arrives in Netflix.

I don't go to movies at theaters anymore. I'd rather watch them at home. Too many people in theaters seem to think they're in their living room and won't stop talking. Screw that...

Reagans Rascals
10-19-14, 09:14
I like Brad Pitt.

He was great in "Snatch"!

I'll definitely see this latest movie when it arrives in Netflix.

I don't go to movies at theaters anymore. I'd rather watch them at home. Too many people in theaters seem to think they're in their living room and won't stop talking. Screw that...

with the wait time for Netflix to update their selection.... I'd guesstimate you're gonna be waiting about 4 years...

Abraham
10-19-14, 10:21
There's no movie I can't wait for...

Movie theaters once had ushers with flashlights.

If they caught you talking during the movie, they'd shine the light on you and you might be given a warning, but once warned they was no second chance. You'd be given the light shine treatment and next thing you'd be on the sidewalk.

Bring back ushers!

(yeah, I know, it'll never happen. The cell phone jerks and general talkers rule)

Netflix with Blue Ray DVDs on my big flat screen with a high quality sound system is the only way to go.

Want a sandwich?

Hit the pause button.

Can't do that at the theater.

The hell with GOING to the movies.

polydeuces
10-19-14, 10:24
Now if they only served cold beer and you could smoke cigars!
Ah, reasons why I love my 'home-theater.....

fixit69
10-19-14, 10:28
with the wait time for Netflix to update their selection.... I'd guesstimate you're gonna be waiting about 4 years...

I have seen glaciers move faster than the selections on Netflix.

Reagans Rascals
10-19-14, 10:43

If they caught you talking during the movie, they'd shine the light on you and you might be given a warning, but once warned they was no second chance. You'd be given the light shine treatment and next thing you'd be on the sidewalk.

Bring back ushers!

(yeah, I know, it'll never happen. The cell phone jerks and general talkers rule)

Netflix with Blue Ray DVDs on my big flat screen with a high quality sound system is the only way to go.

Want a sandwich?

Hit the pause button.

There was actually an usher at my viewing last night, actually shut off the screen just after the previews, brought up the lights and proceeded to " lay down the law" so to speak. He stated Carmike Cinemas is blah blah blah dedicated to bringing you the best possible movie experience and therefore anyone talking loudly or texting will be asked to leave for the evening... came as a surprise to me... but lets be honest here.. there was a total of 7 people in the theater besides myself..

WillBrink
10-19-14, 10:56

Me either. Once you have a good home theater set up, there's no going back. Once in a while, I will see a 3D IMax movie as they can be fun (especially if made specifically for the IMax format) and something I can't experience at home, but that may be once per year at most.

Abraham
10-19-14, 10:59
Reagans Rascals

Now that's a theater I'd go to assuming it wasn't a hollow threat.

Heck, I don't even go to libraries anymore because no one speaks quietly in them, as once it was considered only polite to be quiet - you're in a library.

Mothers drop off their little monsters and use the library as if it was a playground.

So now, I get all my books downloaded on a Nook E-reader - from the library. Sweet!

Yep, I'm a curmudgeon...

fixit69
10-19-14, 11:01
Not really a curmudgeon, just tired of the lack of common decency almost everyone seems to exhibit lately.

wild_wild_wes
10-19-14, 15:06
Are the M4s in the film the same model, or are they mixed? Cast/welded hull, running gear etc.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-19-14, 18:35
Are the M4s in the film the same model, or are they mixed? Cast/welded hull, running gear etc.

'Fury' is an up gunned version of the M4. The others are earlier M4s. Running gear and other details I wasn't looking for or even could discern. They do a good job of talking about the different rounds they have to shoot.

The inside of the tank seemed almost 'big' to me. I've never been in one, I didn't realize that it was all open, I thought there was a partition between the driver and the turret. On a modern M1, can you get from the drivers seat to the turret area?

I thought the recoil and report of the main gun was understated? I thought it would have been more 'loud'.

I thought the Firefly's gun was good on Tiger tanks at a pretty good range?

alienb1212
10-19-14, 18:38
This movie was worth seeing in theaters. Not the most realistic towards the end of the movie but the banter inside the vehicle was pretty spot-on.

jerrysimons
10-19-14, 19:16
This movie was excellent, well worth seeing. Not idealistic or romantic about WWII but with depth it has a sense of trueness to life. The acting was also excellent in addition to a stellar script. While the action towards the end strayed away from realism it can be easily forgiven IMO.

joe138
10-19-14, 19:43
I believe the Fury was a M4A3E8, if memory serves. The others were earlier variations of the Sherman. I think the earlier Sherman's had a 75 mm main gun, while the E8 version had a 76 mm hi velocity gun. The Tiger engagement pretty much matched what is on the History channel, where vets said that they would engage 3 Sherman's to one Tiger. I think the losses would show that ratio also. But it has been a long time since I've studied this in depth. It is a good movie though. And I am open to correction on the Sherman variants.

wild_wild_wes
10-19-14, 20:04
Was it pointed out in the film dialog if it was a 76mm gun?

joe138
10-19-14, 20:38
I don't remember, but the bogie wheels are that of the E8 and the muzzle device on the barrel indicate the E8 version.

MAUSER202
10-19-14, 21:06
I believe the Fury was a M4A3E8, if memory serves. The others were earlier variations of the Sherman. I think the earlier Sherman's had a 75 mm main gun, while the E8 version had a 76 mm hi velocity gun. The Tiger engagement pretty much matched what is on the History channel, where vets said that they would engage 3 Sherman's to one Tiger. I think the losses would show that ratio also. But it has been a long time since I've studied this in depth. It is a good movie though. And I am open to correction on the Sherman variants.

Just saw it tonight, and liked it a lot. Yes, fury is an M4A3E8, the Tiger and the Sherman are from the Bovinton museum in England. It is the only running Tiger 1 in the world. Wish they would have showed more of it.

Moose-Knuckle
10-20-14, 01:38
The wife took me to see it for my birthday over the weekend.

H O L Y * * * *!!!!!!!!!!! Go see this movie if you have not already.

I plan on seeing it a second time in the theatre for the big screen effect alone. Totally blew me away. The scene with the Tiger was white knuckle as you can get in a movie. The first firefight of the movie where the four Shermans and dismounted infantry rescue the halftrack survivors set the tone for the entire film. When they opened up on Jerry in the tree line . . . WOWSERS! I could go on and on but I'll shut up so as not to spoil anything for those who have not seen it.

It might just be the "best" WWII film to date. Yes, I just typed that.

Averageman
10-20-14, 11:20
The inside of the tank seemed almost 'big' to me. I've never been in one, I didn't realize that it was all open, I thought there was a partition between the driver and the turret. On a modern M1, can you get from the drivers seat to the turret area?
You need to traverse over the rear deck to allow the driver to open a gate in the basket to access the Driver Compartment. Once the gun is over the front you're pretty isolated with a heat deflector between you and the turret.

I thought the recoil and report of the main gun was understated? I thought it would have been more 'loud'.
Inside the turret the cannon is relatively quiet compared to outside the vehicle, most of the noise you'll hear has much to do with the mechanical action of the breech and the ejection on the aft cap.

Those Sherman's (and I've been honored to speak to a few crews) would go out in at least a group of three to take on a Tiger for a very good reason. It was not unusual for MG rounds to deflect rather than penetrait frontal armor. Apparently the trick was to come at three sides and keep pounding until someone got a rear shot in to the engine.

MountainRaven
10-20-14, 14:30
The fact that we could reliably call in artillery and close air support to kill enemy tanks helped greatly... and the inability of the Allies to provide close air support during the Battle of the Bulge was one of the factors that made Eisenhower and other American generals decide that, yes, we really might need a tank that can go toe-to-toe with Tigers and Panthers and win and resulted in the deployment of the M26 Pershing heavy tank. (Which was redesignated as a medium tank after the war and was the basis for the M46 Medium tank... which was the basis of the M47 and M48... which was the basis of the M60.) Of course, by the time the Pershings got to the front, the war was pretty much almost over and they suffered the inevitable mechanical issues that plague any weapon system rushed from development into production during wartime... but the few times they met German Panthers and Tigers, they (and their 90mm gun) acquitted themselves well.

And the M26 faired poorly in the mountainous terrain of Korea and was withdrawn, in favor of the lighter Sherman and the later M46. And the Sherman would continue to soldier on with the Israelis until the 1960s, where it faced the latest and greatest of American armor... in the hands of the Jordanian military. And still managed to come out on top, although the Israelis armed with Shermans facing Pattons did not fair as well as the rest of the IDF armed with (smuggled) Centurions and (smuggled) Pattons against Soviet armor in the hands of Syrians and Egyptians.

And I feel it should be mentioned, that by the end of 1944, many, many US tank crews were clerks or infantry by training, not tankers. This fact probably did not help the kill ratio of Shermans to StuGIIIs/PzkpfwIVs/Panthers/Tigers/King Tigers.

Also: While the 17-pounder gun mounted on the British Firefly Shermans performed well against German armor, the lack of an appropriate general purpose HE shell, meant that the Firefly was not well-regarded by British tankers.

Doc Safari
10-20-14, 14:49

Bring back ushers!

Want a sandwich?

Hit the pause button.

I agree--bring back ushers.

Trouble is, the thugs that attend movies nowadays will just beat the crap out of them.

We've discovered that the only two solutions are to see afternoon matinees so the wild ones aren't out yet, OR, to stick to R-rated movies that the damn teens can't get in to see.

I think we've only seen one movie disrupted by idiots since adopting this policy (and we don't go to slasher horror flicks).

Todd00000
10-21-14, 09:45
I agree--bring back ushers.

Trouble is, the thugs that attend movies nowadays will just beat the crap out of them.

We've discovered that the only two solutions are to see afternoon matinees so the wild ones aren't out yet, OR, to stick to R-rated movies that the damn teens can't get in to see.

I think we've only seen one movie disrupted by idiots since adopting this policy (and we don't go to slasher horror flicks).

The reasons I still go to the theater are to see a sci-fi movie on the huge screen, and enjoy something with a group. When I'm in the States or Europe I go to the movies at least once a month and can't remember the last bad experience I had.

Moose-Knuckle
10-21-14, 12:43
Location, location, location . . . if you have thugs interrupting your movie experience then it's time to move out of or the hell away from the hood.

The wife and have good movie experiences in our AO.

Whiskey_Bravo
10-21-14, 13:16
Location, location, location . . . if you have thugs interrupting your movie experience then it's time to move out of or the hell away from the hood.

The wife and have good movie experiences in our AO.

Same here. You have to be selective in where you watch your movies.

brickboy240
10-21-14, 14:06
Very true!

For the few times that the wife and I actually go to a theater to see a movie...we do choose carefully and there are only about 2-3 theaters in the Houston area where we will even think about going. The other theaters range from run down and nasty to ones where your car will get broken in to.

Stick to the parts of town that are...well..less diverse. Sorry...but that is where you will have a better movie-going experience.

-brickboy240

Doc Safari
10-21-14, 14:09
Well, when you live in a town with only one or two theaters....

Whiskey_Bravo
10-21-14, 14:21
Well, when you live in a town with only one or two theaters....

If that is the case, then yeah they both probably suck. Make an investment in a home projector :) That's what I did, but I still have to go watch certain movies at the theater. I am lucky though that I have options.

Pilgrim
10-21-14, 17:02
The actors and director visited Benning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clMuNhzUwaQ

sandman99and9
10-22-14, 16:39
'Fury' is an up gunned version of the M4. The others are earlier M4s. Running gear and other details I wasn't looking for or even could discern. They do a good job of talking about the different rounds they have to shoot.

There was a documentary on the history channel I think about making marine tankers and when they were on the firing line they had cameras in the tanks and it seemed louder and with more shockwave from the other tanks firing than the one they were in. Guy would load and yell " UP " and the other tanks next to them would fire and you could see the shock wave hit his uniform inside the tank, it was really cool to stuff like that. It was filmed in 2001 because they had a part where they stopped training to tell the troops about 9/11

S.M.

Averageman
10-22-14, 17:57
There was a documentary on the history channel I think about making marine tankers and when they were on the firing line they had cameras in the tanks and it seemed louder and with more shockwave from the other tanks firing than the one they were in. Guy would load and yell " UP " and the other tanks next to them would fire and you could see the shock wave hit his uniform inside the tank, it was really cool to stuff like that. It was filmed in 2001 because they had a part where they stopped training to tell the troops about 9/11 S.M.

There was a bit of a change in training in the Army, I'm not so sure about the Marine Corps.
We used to train with hatches open in the turret to help with safety in case of a turret fire.
The blast from the cannon is amazing,(imagine a 40ft fireball that will burn the sand on the front slope of the hull to a fine powder) the shock wave will actually push your body and drive a bit of air from your lungs.
You might find that hatches are closed now and there is a lot more light discipline inside the Tank due to some very hard lessons learned in Iraq.

jpmuscle
10-28-14, 15:43
I saw it yesterday. Overall Iiked. A couple of scenes may have got drawn out a bit to long but meh.

I almost walked out of the theater though. The show was suppose to start at 225. I sat down at 215. From 215 to 250 it was all up coming movie previews and commercials.. Was not happy.