PDA

View Full Version : Glock C models

Voodoochild
06-27-14, 19:17
What are ya'll's thoughts on C model Glock's. Specifically the G22/23 Models (.40 Cal). Been itching to get either a 22 or 23 Gen4 model lately. Got a GSSF coupon burning a hole in my pocket.

Dobie
06-27-14, 19:49
I would not CCW one but in a longer slide version for games it makes sense. What do you want yo do with it?

Crow Hunter
06-27-14, 20:47
What are ya'll's thoughts on C model Glock's. Specifically the G22/23 Models (.40 Cal). Been itching to get either a 22 or 23 Gen4 model lately. Got a GSSF coupon burning a hole in my pocket.

Extremely loud. Don't shoot on a covered range concussion will make you think you blew up the gun. Ports made more noise than doing anything for recoil. Reduced muzzle flip and sped recovery but it wasn't worth it to me.

This was only with a G19C that I special ordered for my wife back in 2000. I won't have another one.

Both muzzle blast and reduced muzzle flip would probably be even more noticeable with the .40 or .357.

Sorry I don't have any experience with any other C models.

Big A
06-27-14, 22:06
I'm fairly certain Glock has discontinued the C models and they didn't make any Gen4 C models.

My local store had a 22C and two 23C's, all Gen3's, when I was in there last weekend.

ETA: I have not shot any C model Glocks.

ETA II: found this:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/08/28/glock-discontinues-c-models/

So if you find one and really want I suggest you get it.

jck397
06-27-14, 22:46
I briefly had a G20C, but sold it due to the grip size. I noticed an interesting phenomenon: although muzzle flip was reduced, I could still feel the ache of a long range session in my hand. It was definitely loud, and I noticed extra flash while shooting indoors. I tried shooting from tight-in retention from position 3 and felt the up-blast, but I think it would have been manageable in a self-defense situation and there was no injury or debris that would prevent me from continuing to fight. If you want one, know the drawbacks and benefits, and if it fits your needs, I see no reason not to. FYI there are no gen 4 C models in the US, and I don't believe there are plans to do so.

Kilroy
06-28-14, 00:08
Some brands of bullet, usually sintered copper matrix type, can fracture the ejection ports, breaking the barrels.

Savior 6
06-28-14, 00:15
What Big A said. Glock discontinued their "C" models and were never put on Gen 4s:(.
Dealers still have "C" models so if you've always wanted one now is probably the time to go for it.

teutonicpolymer
06-28-14, 01:54
The C models actually don't make much sense for competition. In almost every scenario I can think I would maybe want a C model, a regular model with a real compensator just seems superior. One exception- I would like to build a 17LC so to speak- 17L and get a ported barrel for it, add an optic, magwell, and other small parts, and try the setup for USPSA open.

July4th
06-28-14, 10:55
A good friend of mine has a 23C. I didn't notice much recoil reduction and it didn't improve my shooting. It was extremely loud and the gasses coming out of the top annoyed me. I would be scared to shoot it with out ear protection unless I absolutely had too. I wouldn't recommend one and if you ever need to trade/sell it you'll probably get less than a regular model.

plouffedaddy
06-28-14, 15:49

I make it a point to have pretty much every Glock in normal calibers so of course I have the 22C and 23C :D Here's my overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzvZ8z6KIGs

In short---if you want one, get one!

C-grunt
06-28-14, 17:21
Ive been using a 21C as my duty weapon for a year or so now. I didnt specifically look for one but a great deal was offered by a friend and I jumped.

I havent had any problems with it and it shoots wonderfully. It does reduce muzzle rise a bit but the 21 isnt known for heavy recoil anyways.

I will be selling it soon. Not because of any fault of the gun though. I just cant afford to feed the thing to a level where I feel truly proficient with it. Therefor Im switching to a 17.

ST911
06-28-14, 19:39
Watched a number of G22C and G23C over the years, and was left mostly with "meh". Often chosen as an equipment solution to grip/training issues, and many migrated back into the regular guns after the new gun aura wore off.

Thinly jacketed and plated bullets, as well as certain frangible loads can be problematic.

I'd pass on the C models, and the 22/23 in general. A gen4 17 would be great use of a GSSF coupon.

Big A
06-28-14, 20:12
Nice review as always Plouffedaddy. Just curious if there is a way you could wear a GoPro or similar to give us a shooters perspective in your videos? Just a thought.

Has anyone done a comparison between a C model vs a Gen4? Or a Gen3 23 vs a Gen4 23? I would be really interested in that.

plouffedaddy
06-28-14, 21:36
Nice review as always Plouffedaddy. Just curious if there is a way you could wear a GoPro or similar to give us a shooters perspective in your videos? Just a thought.

Has anyone done a comparison between a C model vs a Gen4? Or a Gen3 23 vs a Gen4 23? I would be really interested in that.

One of these days maybe. I'd love to but the channel doesn't make any money (barely starting to break even) so it'd be out of pocket.

fourXfour
06-28-14, 21:45
I don't believe the C's were discontinued. My understanding was that Glock had such a backlog of orders that were going to not accept orders for the C models and focus on their core offerings.

The Gen 4 "C" models are on the market already (if you live in Europe).

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/05/04/glock-19c-gen4-compensated/

I have a 17C that I received as a gift. It really is the nicest shooting gun I own. When I do carry it, I swap out the barrel for a regular OEM 17 barrel. A tad bit more muzzle flip when I shoot with the regular barrel.

bjxds
06-29-14, 07:13
I have a Gen3 G21C. It's the first and only comp/ported pistol I have.
My experiences:
Very reliable and a smooth shooter. I really can't tell a difference between it and a full size 1911.
Night shoot with and with out light (handheld/WML) The muzzle blast is NOT any more noticeable than a non c. The still pictures you see will make it look like a fire breathing dragon, but in reality it is Not noticeable, to me.
Shooting from retention, I am a little worried about shooting anything that would discharge up in the direction of my face, so I can't say I have tried it.
When shooting I don't think it is any louder than a non c 9, 40 45, BUT When I stand to the side when someone else is shooting I DO think it is louder AND I can feel the concussion of the muzzle blast. Similar to but not as bad as an AR with a comp.
Although I have used it as a carry/HD gun I can see the possible disadvantages of debris entering the slide or blast via the ports exiting the ports and possibly causing issues.
In a CQB environment, shooting from retention/ close to body a portion of the muzzle blast WILL be directed up and out.
In summary:
It is a nice range gun with no more or less perceived recoil/muzzle blast to the shooter. I would not sell it, but I would not specifically buy another C model unless I got A very good deal. Kinda like my kids, I wouldn't take a million bucks for them, but I wouldn't give ya nickle for one either. Well maybe for a model C I would.
Overall I like it, BUT.....

signal4l
06-29-14, 08:19
The C model Glocks are not appropriate for duty/defensive use. Try shooting one from a retention position. The gasses vent up into your face and, in some cases, under your glasses. I know of a few trainers that ban them in their classes for this reason.

mayonaise
06-29-14, 13:41
I don't believe the C's were discontinued. My understanding was that Glock had such a backlog of orders that were going to not accept orders for the C models and focus on their core offerings.

The Gen 4 "C" models are on the market already (if you live in Europe).

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/05/04/glock-19c-gen4-compensated/

I have a 17C that I received as a gift. It really is the nicest shooting gun I own. When I do carry it, I swap out the barrel for a regular OEM 17 barrel. A tad bit more muzzle flip when I shoot with the regular barrel.

"C" models have been discontinued. That said, if an agency or distributor orders enough, Glock will make them.

Darkop
07-01-14, 12:04
Glock "C" models are a not fun to shoot at night, there is a lot of port and muzzle flash. They are intolerable for shooting from retention in CQB training and vent debris into the face. Where do most self defense shooting take place? In low light and up close i.e: CQB.

Until that day,
Darkop

ZGXtreme
07-01-14, 12:41
I carried a 21C for six or so years on duty before we replaced all pistols with Gen4 21's. Personally, I preferred the Gen3 C model. I also found that I did not notice the issues others may when shooting in low light or darkness. It simply didn't effect me. I think it is one of those things where it is shooter's preference. Would I recommend one? Absolutely. I'd honestly turn in my new 21 and return to the 21C if the range staff didn't gripe and whine so much about officers carrying "letter guns" (letter authorization carry) who do not subscribe to the staff's preference and choice in issue pistols.

Cardinal
07-04-14, 12:46
"C" models have been discontinued. That said, if an agency or distributor orders enough, Glock will make them.

In the US, perhaps.
But available in Europe at least. http://eu.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

Spiffums
07-04-14, 13:52
I saw an old episode of Law & Order talking about the "C" models. They were talking about how a "burner like that cost 1500 easy"

SeriousStudent
07-04-14, 23:06
I have a 19C. I got it because a client could not pay, and was likely never going to cough up the cash. Someday I'll probably get around to putting a Bar-Sto non-vented barrel in it. It's a range gun and not a carry piece, but I've shot it plenty in low light and not had a problem catching the landscape on fire. I practice shooting from retention a lot, and if you know what you are doing, you will not turn yourself into a human jack-o-lantern.

But it stays a range gun, simply because I have three other G19's I can carry.

Voodoochild, if you ever visit the great state of Texas, you are welcome to borrow mine and shoot the crap out of it.

djegators
07-05-14, 06:22
I've had a few C models over the years, and I really didn't think there was a huge difference one way or the other, and I didn't think the noise or flash was anywhere as dramatic as some on the internet would make it out. I also don't see much use for it in almost every purpose. The only one I kept was the 20C, where it actually does seem to make sense. On the other hand, I wouldn't go out of my way to get a C either.

darr3239
07-16-14, 22:34
So what's the advantage with a 21C? I was told by a Glock law enforcement rep. that there was little to no recoil compensation on the .45. The velocity of the 9s and 40s are a different story.

Doogledog
07-18-14, 13:01
I have a 23C and I use a 9mm and a .357 sig conversion barrel in it. Both conversion barrels are NOT ported and I barely notice any difference in any of the barrels or calibers for that matter. However, I will say, I have never shot my 23C in low light conditions. So I really don't know or haven't noticed the flash either.

eodinert
07-19-14, 03:23
I have a gen 2 19C, and a gen3 non-C 19. The C is flatter shooting, and quicker on the recovery for me. I used to put a suppressor barrel in it, but I when I got a second 19 I put the comped barrel back in it. Flame is very ammo dependent, but I have never had any problems with it, or for that matter, been noticeably distracted. Over all, I like it.

3ACR_Scout
07-19-14, 07:36
Don't shoot on a covered range concussion will make you think you blew up the gun.

It was extremely loud and the gasses coming out of the top annoyed me.
I tested a Gen 3 19 and 19C side by side at a covered range and had the same issues. While the 19C had significantly less muzzle rise (almost felt unnatural compared to the 19), I'm 6' 2", and I could feel the gas and some debris bouncing off the ceiling overhead and back into my face. My friend, who was only abou 5' 4", didn't have that problem.

Dave

kaltblitz
10-25-14, 16:22
Most of the negative rants I've heard on the internet about ported Glocks come from folks without any experience with them.

In 40 S&W they make quite a bit of difference. A few years ago I brought a Gen3 22C out when our local Glock rep was showing off the then-new Gen4 G22. I think I screwed up his demo, because everyone that shot the 22C remarked how it was "way softer" than the Gen4 G22.

As a bystander the flame coming out the ports looks impressive. As a shooter you barely notice them (if you notice them at all). Take one into a shoothouse or indoor range and it's a little bit louder than a non-ported gun, but nothing like a rifle going off in the same range.

Reliability? There is a Glock 21C at my work that is on its fourth owner (has been through SWAT school with three of them) and probably has around 20,000 rounds through it. I don't notice any more wear on it than on any other Glock 21 and I'm sure it will provide at least another 10 years of service (if not longer).

I don't usually go out of my way to look for the ported Glocks, but I don't scoff at them either. If I were forced to carry 40 S&W again I'd probably grab a 22C since I know it actually does make quite a bit of difference.