PDA

View Full Version : Giraud Power Trimmer

HKGuns
06-28-14, 15:29
I ordered Giraud Power Trimmer a few months ago and got on the waiting list. I bought the .308 and .223 cutter heads with the initial order.

I received it on Friday and trimmed my first .308 brass last night. There are very few things that make me step back and say wow and this is one of them.

This tool makes my brass preparation so much easier.

Prior to this I used one of the RCBS hand trimmers and about wore out my arms trimming hundreds of pieces of brass. They were never as good as I would like them to be and after trimming 10 rounds my arm was fatigued from turning that little crank.

Now they are easy to do, come out perfectly every time and you do it all in one fast easy step. This thing is also built like a brick house, extremely well made and everything about it screams SOLID.

I whipped through 100 rounds of .308 brass last night in about 10 minutes. All came out perfectly trimmed and chamfered. I honestly don't understand why I waited so long to pick this thing up.

This is a wonderful tool for trimming your brass perfectly every time with the least effort required. (Something that should ring true with most anyone who reloads.)

I can't say enough about this tool. It is "that" good.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v127/p690192013-5.jpg

markm
06-28-14, 15:33
I run mine so I put the brass in vertically. Yes.... They are priceless if you're running a lot of ammo. Money well spent.

HKGuns
06-28-14, 15:40
Why vertically markm? I noticed it can be oriented either way......

wilson1911
06-28-14, 18:41
I bought one just over a year and its still in the box, but alas my 338 brass need a trimming now. I just ordered a couple of more heads to get started with tomorrow. Whats funny is that his wife always answers the phone nice as can be. Always stating this is his side job and is doing the best he can. I do not think I have met a more genuine and honest set of people in a long time. Even tho the wait times are long, it's still worth every penny.

I wish every company in America were like this.

I have the stainless tumbler going atm. My lapua brass are singing to me as I write this.

markm
06-29-14, 08:12
Why vertically markm? I noticed it can be oriented either way......

So the brass shavings fall down/away from the cutter. Never tried it the other way though...??

sinister
06-29-14, 08:56
Modern cup internal primers, the Dillon 550, Ken Light's annealing machine, and Doug Giraud's trimmers should be in the Reloading Hall of Fame.

thei3ug
06-29-14, 10:34
It is by far the best purpose built machine I purchased. Almost disappointing, it does not see nearly as much use as the tools it replaced because it is so effective.

The only thing I have to try next is wet tumbling, but my shop does not have water so I'm a bit apprehensive as to whether or not it is worth the hassle.

markm
06-29-14, 12:46
The only thing I have to try next is wet tumbling, but my shop does not have water so I'm a bit apprehensive as to whether or not it is worth the hassle.

If you can get a 5 gallon bucket of water dragged out to the shop, you're good for a few loads. I run two small buckets of water on the tailgait of my truck and don't have to make a trip to the hose.

Bimmer
06-29-14, 13:14
So the brass shavings fall down/away from the cutter...

Do the trimmings just stay in that lexan housing? How often do you need to empty it?

There are a Dillon 1200B and a couple thousand .223 cases in my garage, waiting for me to have some free time...

markm
06-29-14, 13:39
Do the trimmings just stay in that lexan housing? How often do you need to empty it?

Yep. Slide up the shield and dump them out. Depends on how much cutting you do. Once fired LC will fill it up in a few hundred rounds depending how short you cut. But twice fired or more brass really just gets kissed and trims much faster.

HKGuns
06-29-14, 13:39
Here is a quick demonstration of the unit in action. Yes all of the trimmings stay put in the housing. With that many cases this unit will pay for itself very quickly in your time saved.

http://youtu.be/FM1P3EZJ_-8

R600
06-29-14, 18:03
I've had mine for three or four years now. I love it. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

1slow01Z71
06-29-14, 20:19
I cant wait, I pick up my trimmer and annealer from them on wednesday.:cool:

Shotdown
06-30-14, 00:10
Now you need some Forster lock rings (or something similar) to preset the case holder and do caliber changes quickly.

thmpr
06-30-14, 00:32
Now you need some Forster lock rings (or something similar) to preset the case holder and do caliber changes quickly.

Never though about this as I own two units for 5 years. Guess I will be ordering a few sets.

Jakashh
07-04-14, 03:14
Heh. I believe my friend (not a gun guy) makes these with/for Mr. Giraud. It's his part time job along with gander mountain. He always told me he made some sort of trimmer, but wasn't sure what it was for apart from something gun related. I assumed it was a brass trimmer, but didn't know the brand name till he mentioned Giraud the other day. Hadn't ever heard of them till then, and always figured it was some no name brand. The way he described it it's a very small 2-3 man operation.

bubba04
07-04-14, 08:49
I have been using a dillion trimmer, but have been eyeing this as I feel the dillon trimmer and I don't seem to be on same page frequently. Has anyone used both and find one superior to the other?

markm
07-05-14, 08:24
The way he described it it's a very small 2-3 man operation.

Yeah. There's not a lot to the trimmer. Better it a small operation with good parts than a mass produced China unit. It's a tough purchase to make, but after you get the unit, you're definitely glad you did.

HKGuns
07-05-14, 17:39
I attribute a high cost to my valuable time. The time this tool saves is absolutely worth the cost. Factor in the increased consistency of your brass, over any other system I have used to date, and the cost is extremely reasonable.

I installed the Forrester lick rings, as I had some lying around, and that little trick works great!

Thanks so much for the tip.

Jakashh
07-06-14, 03:32
Yeah. There's not a lot to the trimmer. Better it a small operation with good parts than a mass produced China unit. It's a tough purchase to make, but after you get the unit, you're definitely glad you did.

Gotta agree with you there. It's nice to find stuff that's still made in America, especially not too far from where I live. I need to get into reloading soon.

cwgibson
07-06-14, 15:57
I'm getting into rifle reloading and a trimmer is the last thing I need. I have done some extensive searching online, and it doesn't appear that anything comes close to the Giraud. My question is at one point should one look at buying one of these? By that I mean if I'm reloading 500 rounds per week is it what I need or is it more for the guy doing 1k plus a week? It looks to me like it's such a time saver that it may be worth it no matter what I load, but I thought I would ask someone that had one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HKGuns
07-06-14, 19:29
500 rounds per week is enough to justify it in my book. Or you can do as I did and buy a crank, get sick of it and you'll appreciate the Giraud even more.

andre3k
07-06-14, 19:41
Heh. I believe my friend (not a gun guy) makes these with/for Mr. Giraud. It's his part time job along with gander mountain. He always told me he made some sort of trimmer, but wasn't sure what it was for apart from something gun related. I assumed it was a brass trimmer, but didn't know the brand name till he mentioned Giraud the other day. Hadn't ever heard of them till then, and always figured it was some no name brand. The way he described it it's a very small 2-3 man operation.
I'm local to Giraud and picked mine up when I bought mine. He has a very well equipped shop behind his house. 5 years ago, when I bought mine he said that he can't make enough of them to keep up. I got the feeling that he wanted to keep it a small operation for now. Who wouldn't want to walk into their backyard and go to work every day? Shop was very clean and orderly with a stack of trimmers waiting on UPS.

cwgibson
07-06-14, 19:54
500 rounds per week is enough to justify it in my book. Or you can do as I did and buy a crank, get sick of it and you'll appreciate the Giraud even more.

After looking at all the options out there from Possum Hollow, WFT, all the way to the Lee this is what I am thinking. What exactly makes this $100 or so better than the Gracey?

sinister
07-06-14, 21:10
A much, much faster motor and tungsten blade.

I owned two Graceys before my three Girauds. I put 'em up for sale the day I got my first Girauds.

HKGuns
07-06-14, 21:23
A much, much faster motor and tungsten blade.

I owned two Graceys before my three Girauds. I put 'em up for sale the day I got my first Girauds.

Yep, which is why I made the choice I did as well. Read a lot and looked at some folks who do heAvy duty reloading. Most are using this unit.

ETA: To be clear, I did not own a Gracey, but looked intently at them before buying the Giraud.

cwgibson
07-06-14, 22:27
What is the lifetime of the cutting head on the giraud?

sinister
07-06-14, 23:06
Dunno. Only had them since 2005/06.

markm
07-07-14, 08:32
Man.... I run the piss out of my Giraud and don't see any signs of the blade slowing down at all. It looks to be triangular to where you'd just rotate it 120 degrees for a new cutting edge, but I've never pulled the blade out to confirm this.

HKGuns
08-07-14, 08:35
So the brass shavings fall down/away from the cutter. Never tried it the other way though...??

Your way is better. I was finding a few brass pieces that get into the case when using it the way I was using it. Using it your way and the brass falls right out.

markm
08-07-14, 08:38
Makes sense. The vibration and case mouth down would clear all that stuff out of the case.

Djstorm100
08-07-14, 08:57
Mark you set your machine up to where the opening for the brass to be inserted is facing up? This way the brass falls away from the cutter and also the brass stays out of the case. Understand that right?

I just go a WFT to replace my Lyman. Lyman crapped out and I needed something right then.

if you have a Dillion press already what would be the advantage if any, going to the Giraud? How do you set up the depth?

QuietShootr
08-07-14, 08:59
Why not the Giraud annealer?

Modern cup internal primers, the Dillon 550, Ken Light's annealing machine, and Doug Giraud's trimmers should be in the Reloading Hall of Fame.

markm
08-07-14, 09:04
Mark you set your machine up to where the opening for the brass to be inserted is facing up? This way the brass falls away from the cutter and also the brass stays out of the case. Understand that right?

Yes. There are rubber feet on both sides so you can set it either way.

if you have a Dillion press already what would be the advantage if any, going to the Giraud? How do you set up the depth?

Dillons trimmer does not chamfer and debur. So, among other issues, you're still stuck doing that with another machine or by hand.

Giraud is one and done.

markm
08-07-14, 09:06
Why not the Giraud annealer?

I don't anneal .223. Never found it to be beneficial since the brass craps out in the primer pocket before necks harden enough to need it.

With the LEE FCD, it seems that neck tension is equalized. I mean... when I quit crimping for one test, my group sizes more than doubled.... everything else was the same.... same loading session, powder, settings, bullets, brass batch, etc.

Djstorm100
08-07-14, 09:17
Yes. There are rubber feet on both sides so you can set it either way.

Dillons trimmer does not chamfer and debur. So, among other issues, you're still stuck doing that with another machine or by hand.

Giraud is one and done.

Oh snap..I didn't know it chamber and debur and trims.. Holy batman!

QuietShootr
08-07-14, 10:35
I wasn't thinking of it for .223. Just my bolt gun loads. I don't chase .223 brass very diligently.

markm
08-07-14, 12:44
I wasn't thinking of it for .223. Just my bolt gun loads. I don't chase .223 brass very diligently.

I see.... conversely, I usually don't think of the Giraud trimmer with .308.

I just hand anneal with a hardware store torch on top of my washing machine. As much as we shoot, I still only need to anneal 50-100 pc per week at most... and I can knock that out by hand.

yellowfin
08-07-14, 19:46
Meanwhile as I wait and save up ($400 for me needs to go to ammo components first), that Lee Power Quick Trim is pretty nice, trims and chamfers and deburrs. Just got it and plowed through a pile of brass picked up from my last couple matches I was dreading doing with my manual trimmer. Not as handy being tethered to my press, but for 1/10th the price I'll be happy until I do get the Giraud.

cwgibson
08-07-14, 20:20
Meanwhile as I wait and save up ($400 for me needs to go to ammo components first), that Lee Power Quick Trim is pretty nice, trims and chamfers and deburrs. Just got it and plowed through a pile of brass picked up from my last couple matches I was dreading doing with my manual trimmer. Not as handy being tethered to my press, but for 1/10th the price I'll be happy until I do get the Giraud.

They make that in a powered version?

yellowfin
08-07-14, 20:53
Yep, the cutter fits onto your drill which fits and stands vertically on the die in your press. It's basically a WFT on a press or Dillon trimmer minus the sizing, and cheaper than both by a good bit. Cutting bit is $25 and dies are $15. Not as convenient as the WFT as I can't sit on my back deck and do it, but I can ream pockets and prime by hand when I want to move out of the basement for a while.

taliv
08-08-14, 07:37
i also run both the giraud trimmer in 223 and annealer for 260

the trimmer is awesome and i stand mine up vertically not just for the shavings to fall out but so i can push the brass in against the table instead of pushing horizontally and chasing the trimmer around the top of my workbench

annealer is also awesome. here's a quick iphone video i posted. there is a long thread on the hide that basically boils down to adding a regulator significantly improves flame consistency https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TQFsp_yX4U

JiminAZ
08-16-14, 22:05
Have any of you guys tried the Giraud Tri-Way trimmer?

http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm

I had a buddy offer to sell me his Giraud years ago and I should have jumped on it. However, maybe a triway in 223 and one in 308 will serve my needs just fine. Chuck it up in my drill press and go to town........

cwgibson
08-16-14, 22:12
Have any of you guys tried the Giraud Tri-Way trimmer?

http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm

I had a buddy offer to sell me his Giraud years ago and I should have jumped on it. However, maybe a triway in 223 and one in 308 will serve my needs just fine. Chuck it up in my drill press and go to town........

That looks interesting, similar to the WFT.

rcoodyar15
08-27-14, 08:41
I just received my tri-trimmer in the mail. This thing is a work of art. Too pretty to get dirty.

but I have 200 lapua cases waiting for it at home. Tonight we will find out.

I have always dreaded the trimming part of case prep. Hope this is my answer.

markm
08-27-14, 09:12
I have always dreaded the trimming part of case prep. Hope this is my answer.

It will be. I've found that it will trim withing .002" with the variations likely in the spring back of the brass in the sizing step.

The Giraud cuts so cleanly that it's not like you're going to get variance in the trim from anything other than shoulder inconsistency.

rcoodyar15
08-28-14, 07:01
It will be. I've found that it will trim withing .002" with the variations likely in the spring back of the brass in the sizing step.

The Giraud cuts so cleanly that it's not like you're going to get variance in the trim from anything other than shoulder inconsistency.

dude this this is awesome

I have a forster with the three was cutter head. I motorized it.

The Giraud is more consistent than I am with the forster.

No adjustment just put it in the drill chuck in my vise and cranked her up. Tried a few test cases and they were all dead nuts.

Trimming is now fun. Did 200 in probably 10% of the time it would have taken with the forster and did a better job.

when this catches on Giraud will not be able to keep up with the orders

markm
08-28-14, 08:25
Trimming once fired LC goes kind of slow because it's so long. But after your first trimming, you can almost trim 1 round per second because the cutter just cleans up and kissed the case mouth. (assuming you don't have a die with an expander ball that stretches the crap out of your brass)

1slow01Z71
08-30-14, 12:30
Trimming once fired LC goes kind of slow because it's so long. But after your first trimming, you can almost trim 1 round per second because the cutter just cleans up and kissed the case mouth. (assuming you don't have a die with an expander ball that stretches the crap out of your brass)

You use a bushing die on your 223 stuff?

markm
08-30-14, 13:12
You use a bushing die on your 223 stuff?

Hell no. I'm running a Dillon carbide die with the expander ball removed... then an RCBS .223 neck expander die.. I hate bushing dies. I tried them... and they just weren't for me.

cwgibson
08-30-14, 13:58
If you take out the expander on the Dillon do you have to deprime separately like the lee die?

1slow01Z71
08-31-14, 09:19
Hell no. I'm running a Dillon carbide die with the expander ball removed... then an RCBS .223 neck expander die.. I hate bushing dies. I tried them... and they just weren't for me.

Ah, I took the "stretches the hell out of your brass" comment as you looking down on exoander ball dies. Was wondering what I was missing. If I remember right you deprime on a universal die correct? Im still trying to decide the best way for me to process 223 as I use it for so much from Fclass, mass blasting to SD loads.

markm
08-31-14, 11:47
I don't like a die that pulls the expander ball back out of the case mouth on the up stroke. It stretches brass and can cause run out. Yes. I use the lee universal decap die.

opsoff1
08-31-14, 14:15
Totally agree w/ Mark - expander balls = verboten. If you need to expand a neck - use a mandrel.

1slow01Z71
09-01-14, 04:19
Interesting, I havent bothered to measure runout on my 223 stuff but my 308 load with cheapo rcbs green box dies is usually around 1-2 thousandths at most. Ill be loading some 77s tomorrow and I'll check runout. Those were sized with forster dies with an expander ball.

markm
09-01-14, 13:50
SMKs can often cover up runout issues. But none the less.... pulling an expander ball out of brass is kinda knuckle dragger loading. ;)

opngrnd
09-01-14, 15:31

Give up on the Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die?

rjacobs
09-01-14, 16:41
If anybody is looking for a great collet expander die I have had great luck with the one from 21st century shooting. I agree with Mark on the expander ball. I dont do it if I can avoid it. Ive got the 21st Century Shooting mandrel expander on my 223 and 308 prep heads(running Dillon trim dies that have tight necks so you HAVE to open up the neck after). They set .002 neck tension. I run the titanium nitride coated ones for longer life. I run a full length Forster with expander ball on my 300BLK conversion head as the last step and so far, havent seen any issues, but 300BLK is not IMO a precision round anyway.

markm
09-02-14, 08:10
Give up on the Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die?

No. But I don't use it for the .223. My volume is too high, and the die is too high maintenance to run thousands and thousands without taking it down and maintaining the bearing surfaces and stuff.

The neck expander die is a compromise in that the neck aren't as straight as the collet die, but much better than a regular expander ball.

cwgibson
12-20-14, 17:47
Let me revive this to ask a question. Will the Giraud trim down .223 to 300 blackout?

rcoodyar15
12-21-14, 05:40
Let me revive this to ask a question. Will the Giraud trim down .223 to 300 blackout?

No use a saw