PDA

View Full Version : Vortex pst 1-4 or Leupold patrolman the Vxr 1.25-4

Skar
06-28-14, 19:45
Yes this has been brought up before . But my stag model 3 plus pk comes in tomorrow . So I am close to make a decision between the two. (Vortex pst 1-4 or Leupold patrolman the Vxr 1.25-4 )
And want the latest input pro and cons . Thank you for your input .

PS. Capped Version on both

docsherm
06-28-14, 21:57
Go with the Leupold. You will not be disappointed. It is true daytime viable and works great. I have had mine for almost 2 years now and no complaints at all.

GH41
06-29-14, 08:41
I chose the XTR w/SPR reticle. At 11 oz it is 5 oz or more lighter than most 1x4 scopes. The simple, uncluttered reticle and daylight visible center dot works well for me.

Voodoo_Man
06-29-14, 09:46
If you havnt, check out the review I did on my blog under gear reviews.

I like the vxr patrol for a lot off reasons.

HKGuns
06-29-14, 10:04
VXR Patrol here also.....

Jaysop
06-29-14, 10:41
I've had both. I currently have and favor the VXR patrol.
The glass is excellent, you can constantly leave it on, its actually daylight bright, and its a lot less cluttered with unnecessary stuff when your trying to pick up your targets. The 1.25x doesn't effect function for me at all. And if I remember correctly, the VXR is lighter and shorter?

The vortex had to be turned off and on, the battery life sucked and if you forgot to turn it off... there goes that battery.
It is not daylight bright unless its up against a very dark or shaded target. The only benefit is how you adjust brightness on the vortex. But the Simple dot on the VXR doesn't really need constant attention like the Vortex does. I aolso dont miss the Zero stop on the vortex. It never really worked for me anyway.

signal4l
06-29-14, 10:45
I bought the Vortex because I wanted capped turrets. I have no use for target turrets on a 1.25-4 optic

1slow01Z71
06-29-14, 12:25
Tactical turrets on a 1-4 are pointless. The pst does have daytime visible illumination, but it will kill the battery if you leave it on accidentally. I rarely use illumination ao its not a problem. Glass is comparable but I like the true 1x low end better. I personally prefer the vortex. The capped version will be going on my 9.5" 458 socom build. The capped version is also nice because you can mark the turrets for individual zeros for various loads and the marked turret is covered by the caps.

Skar
07-07-14, 17:16
Leupold also makes a capped version

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-1-25-4x20mm-includes-metric/

GH41
07-07-14, 18:08

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-1-25-4x20mm-includes-metric/

Not with the SPR ret.

Skar
07-07-14, 18:43
Not with the SPR ret.

Oops your right

TXBK
07-07-14, 19:19
I have the Vortex, and it is alright, especially for the money that I gave ($400). However, the reticle and illumination do leave plenty to be desired. It is good enough to fill the role for which it was purchased, but if I were to start over, I would get the Leupold.

Skar
07-07-14, 19:31

Ok with the 3 choices which one for tactical application . (Home defence)

Bear1
07-07-14, 19:47
Why would you want a variable for home defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voodoo_Man
07-07-14, 19:55

Those long distance precision shots as they run away.

Kidding...

Skar
07-08-14, 05:12

I will still take it to the range . My local range has 50 , 100 yard and 200 meter.
This is my back up HD gun . Hard to beat a shotgun .

TXBK
07-08-14, 05:27
Hard to beat a shotgun .

Well, actually, if you read around and use the search feature, you will find that is not accurate.

Skar
07-08-14, 07:35
Well, actually, if you read around and use the search feature, you will find that is not accurate.

Not going to debate this on this tread .

TXBK
07-08-14, 07:43
Not going to debate this on this tread .

Roger that. Back on topic.

Eurodriver
07-09-14, 06:27
Actually it is very relevant to this thread.

You want a variable optic. We like to know what you use the rifle for so we can give educated answers. You said home defense, but then you said you have an over penetrating, 5 round max, slow firing shotgun for that

Well, which is it? Are you using this rifle for home defense or are you sticking with the gun that will put you at a serious disadvantage in every way imaginable?

Skar
07-09-14, 06:57
Actually it is very relevant to this thread.

You want a variable optic. We like to know what you use the rifle for so we can give educated answers. You said home defense, but then you said you have an over penetrating, 5 round max, slow firing shotgun for that

Well, which is it? Are you using this rifle for home defense or are you sticking with the gun that will put you at a serious disadvantage in every way imaginable?
Yes I want a 1- 4 optic for my new AR . I think the 1-4 would cover long and short range for my old eyes .
Shotgun .....it's a 7 shot auto and to be honest it's in the safe with the AR I keep a .40 cal H&K at bed side.

The AR is a few times a year range gun and if the shtf gun . I also got the AR because I could !
Who knows about the future gun laws.

I don't want to start an argument about a AR vs shotgun . I always have read A shotgun is hard to beat within a 25 yard
Perimeter. Obviously some of you feel different I could be wrong ?

I don't want to moderator to lock this thread I still trying to make up my mind on which optic to get .
Vortex pst or leopuld vx-r .....or a red dot with magnifier .

TXBK
07-09-14, 07:07
Sir, with all due respect, use the search feature and all of your questions will be answered. You are not going to hear what you want to hear, here. What you will get, is honesty with no sugar-coating. This is another thread of yours that will not last if you continue.

Skar
07-09-14, 07:40
Sir, with all due respect, use the search feature and all of your questions will be answered. You are not going to hear what you want to hear, here. What you will get, is honesty with no sugar-coating. This is another thread of yours that will not last if you continue.
Sorry only trying to answer his question.

CrazyFingers
07-09-14, 08:24
Sorry only trying to answer his question.

No, you are arguing from ignorance.
That is not an insult, it is a statement of fact, and is something that can be rectified easily. Please, please read more and take the time to digest what the senior members, SME, and mods/admins have to say. There is an almost unbelievable trove of rich knowledge to be found here from people who use their weapons daily on the job. People who really have "been there, done that", and know how these things function in real-world settings.

Nobody is saying you can't use a shotgun for home defense. Nobody is saying you can't use a 1-4x variable for home defense.
Just that there are far superior options, for valid reasons, which have been painstakingly explained in previous threads. Remember that the focus of this forum is significantly different from most other firearms forums created by and for your average enthusiast. I am one of those average enthusiasts, and I typically keep my mouth shut and ears open. I'd hate to see you become frustrated by the candid and frank nature of this forum, and miss an opportunity to grow your knowledge.
Stick around, listen carefully, and you'll soon grow to appreciate what M4C has to offer.

Bear1
07-09-14, 12:48
Vortex vs patrol I went with the patrol due to the motion activated illumination shut off and the spr ret. The glass is comparable on both. Both are nice choices, just depends on your wants and needs.

Skar
07-09-14, 14:18
Vortex vs patrol I went with the patrol due to the motion activated illumination shut off and the spr ret. The glass is comparable on both. Both are nice choices, just depends on your wants and needs.

Thanks for the reply i'm leaning this way myself.