PDA

View Full Version : Need Help in Selecting Quality 9mm Handgun

veteran-USMC
06-29-14, 07:52
I need help in selecting a quality 9mm handgun for plinking & addition to my home defense system. I am willing to spend $900. I am looking at (1) very good reliability (2) trigger that is consistant with aprox. 4.5 to 5.5 lb. pull (3) 4 to 41/2 inch barrel. I have between small to medium hands. I held a Beretta 92f and didn't like the trigger because it is DA then single action. Thanks for all opinions & your time. Semper Fi Till I Die!

ptmccain
06-29-14, 07:55
If you did not like the DA/SA set up this rules out a number of options, so you might want to focus on striker action handguns for a while. My suggestion is to locate a range that will let you rent and try out a number of different handguns. It will ultimately come down to what feels best in your hand and what you can shoot the best. Everyone can give you a suggestion for a specific brand and model, but ultimately I feel you will do best to try as many different handguns out for yourself.

There are a LOT of quality 9mms out there waiting for you to discover the one best for you.

My personal suggestion would be the Glock 19, given what you have indicated above.

plouffedaddy
06-29-14, 07:56
Guns that fit the criteria that are quality offerings:

M&P9 ($425 shipped with N/S and 3x mags currently at bot*ch.com now BTW)
Glock 19/17
Walther PPQ
FNH FNS9
H&K VP9
Steyr L9A1

...and I'm sure there are plenty of others I'm just not thinking of.

CRAMBONE
06-29-14, 08:05
It's all going to be preference, especially with your stated budget.
Personally I'm a Glock whore, I started a few years ago with my first Glock 17 ,and since parts and mags are cheap and servicing is easy, that platform has become my standard. However, There have been a ALOT of additions to this style of handgun the last few years but a few to consider.

Walther PPQ/PPX, probably what I would go with if I was starting out.
Smith and Wesson M&P9
Glock 17 & 19
H&K P30 ,but you said you didn't like DA/SA
Then H&K has the new VP9 coming out soon. It looks really promising, but I don't like being a test dummy.

Pilot1
06-29-14, 08:49
I don't have a problem with DA/SA, and not considering those limits you a bit, but there still is a plethora of striker fired guns, and others that would fit your requirement. For HD, or even SD, a Browning Hi Power would fit the bill. It is single action only, and meant to be carried C&L. It is within your price range also. A nice basic MK III would be an excellent choice. Reliable, accurate, hi capacity (flush fit Mec Gar 15 round mags are cheap and plentiful).

The Walther P99, and new HK VP9 are good alternatives if you must have polymer.

RWCRaiden
06-29-14, 09:04
H&K USP with the LEM trigger maybe? Everyone always mentions Glock, but what about the Springfield XD? I've had one for years without a single issue, and have over 5K rounds through it.

RCI1911
06-29-14, 09:27
Any of the striker fired guns listed above by the others will do. It will come down to ergonomics and personal feel from there on what you choose. Aftermarket is strong for the M&P and the Glocks and is starting to come around for the PPQ. The new HK VP9 is definitely worth a look based on HK's reputation on a whole. That gives you 4 different guns with different ergonomics to choose from to get started.

RCI1911
06-29-14, 09:30
Everyone always mentions Glock, but what about the Springfield XD? I've had one for years without a single issue, and have over 5K rounds through it.

Not much XD love on here. The few "M's" that I have shot were accurate with a solid factory trigger but there are too many well documented issues with the XD's that many people stay away from them, especially with so many other good guns available. The grip safety is a no go for me.

bpd315
06-29-14, 09:34
I would find a local range that rents firearms. I would shoot every 9mm offering they have. Maybe between two or three shops you can cover all firearms on the list. Then make your personal selection based on feel and budget. I can give you all my reasons to choose Glock, but I think you need to decide this based on the method above.

RWCRaiden
06-29-14, 09:42
Not much XD love on here. The few "M's" that I have shot were accurate with a solid factory trigger but there are too many well documented issues with the XD's that many people stay away from them, especially with so many other good guns available. The grip safety is a no go for me.

Only issue I've heard of was the firing pin issue, but again, I've never had a hangup with mine. I love it, it's a very great point and shoot gun. The grip safety doesn't matter much to me, but I'm quite used to it, and also shoot a 1911 quite often.

sw1911
06-29-14, 09:46
sig sauer p229r

Slater
06-29-14, 09:48
Heck, for $900 you could buy a pair of Walther PPX's and have enough left for practice ammo :D

HKGuns
06-29-14, 10:02
You really need to go to a range and rent several different models to determine which fits your hand and which control layout works best for you. There are a ton of great options in the market, but no two triggers are the same and what is deemed a good trigger is mostly based on experience and/or personal preference. PDaddy gave you a great list to start. Even minor control location differences might not work for you, which is why it is best to see what feels most comfortable and shoots best in YOUR hand.

SteveS
06-29-14, 10:26
You really need to go to a range and rent several different models to determine which fits your hand and which control layout works best for you. There are a ton of great options in the market, but no two triggers are the same and what is deemed a good trigger is mostly based on experience and/or personal preference. PDaddy gave you a great list to start. Even minor control location differences might not work for you, which is why it is best to see what feels most comfortable and shoots best in YOUR hand.
Build quality and customer service of the brands are well known and should be factored into the purchase so as mentioned in quote Try to rent a few and or try them at the range.

06-29-14, 10:55
M&P 9 with an Apex trigger. I carry the 40 on duty and love it. I was going to purchase the Glock until I held it in my hand. I carried a Sig 228 for over 20 years which was DAO and the standard trigger on the M&P is light speed better but once you install the Apex, wow!

Biggy
06-29-14, 10:56
IMHO, for a striker fired pistol, get a HK VP9 when they become available in the next month or two.
For a traditional DA/SA action pistol get a CZ P-07 with some CGW fire control parts and a little polishing work.
And whatever you choose, pick up some extra mags for the pistol.

Hmac
06-29-14, 11:07
I agree that a modern striker-fired handgun is closest to the criteria you mentioned. I own a Glock 19, an M&P 9 w/ Apex DCAEK, a PPQ, and actually have a VP9 on order. Those first three are very different in ergonomics. By far, my preference is the PPQ. I actively disliked the Glock 19, pretty "meh" on the M&P, actually bought a second PPQ (first time in 35 years that I've ever done that). My first PPQ has about 6000 rounds and shoots like new. Completely reliable. I like it for its ergonomics (fits my hand), the trigger, and the controls. I ordered a VP9 in the hopes that I'll like it even better than the PPQ. That's a pretty high bar and I'm kind of skeptical, but I figure if any mfgr out there can do it, it would be HK so I'm taking the shot. It's kind of of a sickness.

RWCRaiden
06-29-14, 11:40
HK ergonomics were always great in my hands. Love the extended control levers. Mag release took getting used to, but I love it. Seems a tad faster to me than the traditional push button.

MountainRaven
06-29-14, 12:19
Might be able to find a used P30/P30L with LEM trigger for that amount.

Otherwise, I'm very fond of my Browning. But they're not for everyone: The stock hammer sucks.

walker2713
06-29-14, 12:24
I probably count as another "Glock whore", but also have two PPQ's....a 9mm and a .40....and I'd really, really suggest that you take a good look at the Walther.

The ergonomics, for me, and the trigger, are such that I definitely shoot the PPQ better than my 3 Glock 19's...wish it weren't so, but it is.

Good luck and let us know how your search turns out!!

George

bjxds
06-29-14, 16:17

Well, I think there may be quite a few well documented issues with the "World Famous G19" as well.....

I gotta say I just got a PPQ and it is SWEET, it does not have not near the rounds that my Glocks or XD's have but I would give it a look.

To the OP, like said like a few shoot before you buy if possible. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones mentioned, but if you do get a bad one you will probably never get another one.

jwinch2
06-29-14, 16:28
To the OP. The HK VP9 may turn out to be a good recommendation, but you should know that it is brand new. I can't say for sure, but I would be surprised if those who are recommending it have even seen one in person, let alone put enough rounds through it that they can comment on its reliability. In reality, since it is brand new, there are really no data available on the VP9's reliability other than testing which may have been done by HK themselves.

Having said all of that, HK handguns have a well-deserved reputation for reliability and accuracy, and I suspect that the VP9 will be no different. While I suspect that, I don't know it, and I don't think anyone else does either at this point. Even the best companies can put out a lemon once and a while.

Since you listed reliability as your number one concern, you may wish to consider going with a more established choice. Its quite obviously up to you either way, and I would not fault you if you went with the HK, but I thought I would mention it so that you can make an informed decision.

veteran-USMC
06-29-14, 17:06
To the OP. The HK VP9 may turn out to be a good recommendation, but you should know that it is brand new. I can't say for sure, but I would be surprised if those who are recommending it have even seen one in person, let alone put enough rounds through it that they can comment on its reliability. In reality, since it is brand new, there are really no data available on the VP9's reliability other than testing which may have been done by HK themselves.

Having said all of that, HK handguns have a well-deserved reputation for reliability and accuracy, and I suspect that the VP9 will be no different. While I suspect that, I don't know it, and I don't think anyone else does either at this point. Even the best companies can put out a lemon once and a while.

Since you listed reliability as your number one concern, you may wish to consider going with a more established choice. Its quite obviously up to you either way, and I would not fault you if you went with the HK, but I thought I would mention it so that you can make an informed decision.

Thank-you for the information! Gotta say you are A+ right in regards to a handgun that has some kind of track record before you buy the gun. Reliability is vital to me in chosing a handgun . I am considering looking at Walthers PPQ! Do you or anyone else know how long this model Walther has been the public market?

jwinch2
06-29-14, 17:16
Thank-you for the information! Gotta say you are A+ right in regards to a handgun that has some kind of track record before you buy the gun. Reliability is vital to me in chosing a handgun . I am considering looking at Walthers PPQ! Do you or anyone else know how long this model Walther has been the public market?

No problem at all.

I have no personal experience with the Walther PPQ but it does seem to have a pretty good rep on this forum.

I carry a CZ P-01, and I absolutely love it. It has a barrel that is slightly shorter than what you stated in your criteria so it may not fit your needs, but if you are flexible on that part it may be worth a look.
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01-9mm-black-alloy-14-rd-mags/
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=CZ+P01+review

Tequila45
06-29-14, 19:17
Sig SAO 226.

scooter22
06-29-14, 19:31
I've owned M&P9 and G19.

I was not a fan of striker-fired until I purchased a PPQ.

Rohardi
06-29-14, 20:28
G19, G17, G34,. All great pistols. like others have said, There are several good options out there in 9mm.

Hmac
06-29-14, 20:44

teutonicpolymer
06-29-14, 20:56
My first answer would be a Glock but there is a pretty slim chance of getting a new one with under 6# trigger pull

HES
06-29-14, 21:42
Just be aware that the M1 model (magazine paddle release) has been out since 2011. The M2 model (push button magazine release) has been out since 2103. The only difference between the two is the mag release. Other than that they are both rock solid reliable.

Kokopelli
06-29-14, 21:59
FWIW.. I like the idea of renting a few at the range, but that only goes so far. You can tell 75% of how well a pistol fits/suites you just by handling it.. IMO.. I would start going out and handling everything that I could get my hands on, culling out the obvious "don't feel good" models and make a short list to test fire. If you can rent, borrow, shoot some of those models then you can narrow it down even more. With that short list, I'd make a best/guess selection and start Internet shopping. If after shooting my first choice for a few hundred rounds I think I want something else, I'd sell it on GB and move to my second choice. Might as well have some fun with it all, eh? Cheers..

Sensei
06-30-14, 00:32
Every well regulated house in America should have a Glock 17, Colt 6920, no less than 10 quality mags for each gun, and no less than 1000 rounds to support each gun.

Once you have taken care of life's necessities, you can turn your attention to the desires with things like M&Ps, PPQs, VP9s, etc.

w3453l
06-30-14, 04:47
You can also look at the HK P2000 in LEM; really try the LEM first though. It's an HK in the size package of a Glock 19, shares mags with P30 also. I think it's a really often overlooked handgun

beschatten
06-30-14, 06:17
OP you opened up a can of worms.

Best bet is to start renting guns and shooting to see which one you like the most and meets your criteria.

RHINOWSO
06-30-14, 12:54
G17/19
HK P30 or P2000 in Light LEM / VP9
PPQ

9MM accuracy issues would keep me away from M&Ps.

Wheelhouse
06-30-14, 14:38
Guns that fit the criteria that are quality offerings:

M&P9 ($425 shipped with N/S and 3x mags currently at bot*ch.com now BTW)
Glock 19/17
Walther PPQ
FNH FNS9
H&K VP9
Steyr L9A1

...and I'm sure there are plenty of others I'm just not thinking of.

Actually the price for above pistol is now $399.95 - that's a hell of a deal! My LGS that's typically competitive sells M&P 9s for $470 w/ TWO mags and NO night sights.

Talon167
06-30-14, 15:30
HK VP9

RWCRaiden
06-30-14, 15:41
For the lolz, HK VP70!

I wonder if there are even any of those floating around the market anymore?

Rekkr870
06-30-14, 15:46
Get a Glock. Use the rest of your money to get a nice pair of sights, mags, ammo, and quality holster. You will probably find good deals on Glocks in the near future due to the release of the newest blastercannon 8000.

Wait until the "shiny" wears off the VP9 and others have ran it through its paces. Then you should try one out. It's probably going to be a bitch to find for the next six months anyways.

Good luck.

JoeStrummer
06-30-14, 18:41
IMHO, for a striker fired pistol, get a HK VP9 when they become available in the next month or two.
For a traditional DA/SA action pistol get a CZ P-07 with some CGW fire control parts and a little polishing work.
And whatever you choose, pick up some extra mags for the pistol.

What he said.

pat701
06-30-14, 20:35
My vote is for a SIG P226. Just don't fire it in D/A. When you load it and rack the first round in the chamber, it is in S/A you have to choose to decock and fire the first round in D/A.

pat701
06-30-14, 20:37
Sig P226 just don't fire it is D/A.

hatidua
06-30-14, 20:37
double-tap

pat701
06-30-14, 20:38
Sig P226 just don't fire it in D/A.

pat701
06-30-14, 20:38
Sig P226 just don't fire it in D/A.

hatidua
06-30-14, 20:39
try a few before buying.

TMS951
07-01-14, 12:01
I have a pile of 9mm glocks, if I was to start fresh I'd go all in with the PPQ. I have one now and love it.

Psalms144.1
07-01-14, 12:48
Hatidua - "From everything I've read, get an HK VP9, it'll apparently mow your lawn, cook your dinner, get you a date, and wash your car....all at the same time! -it's Jesus/Budha/Gandi all rolled into one."

Wait, I thought that was the CZ P07?

Seriously, the rampant flavor of the day fanboism in the firearms community nowadays is getting to be like listening to my 11 year old daughter reel through the "boy band of the month" routine...

Psalms144.1
07-01-14, 12:51
To the OP, if I was starting fresh today, I'd look at the G17, G19, and VP9. If this is strictly a range and HD proposition, I'd lean heavily towards the VP9. If concealed carry is even a thought in your head, I think the Glock platform offers more options that are better at concealed carry applications - unless you're a 300 pound gorilla. I'm only a 250 pound gorilla, and the P30 (grip size/shape equivalent to the VP9) is harder enough to conceal than the G19 that I never carry my P30...

Regards,

Kevin

wildcard600
07-01-14, 13:14
USP v1/2 and just carry in condition one like a 1911.

or get a 9mm 1911.

not a fan of striker guns much myself.

chilic82
07-01-14, 13:33
Actually the price for above pistol is now $399.95 - that's a hell of a deal! My LGS that's typically competitive sells M&P 9s for $470 w/ TWO mags and NO night sights.
I was hoping this was the case, but when I went to checkout they wanted to charge me $25 for shipping. There is an asterisk that states no free shipping on Hazardous, overweight, or oversize shipments.

jwinch2
07-01-14, 13:52
Hatidua - "From everything I've read, get an HK VP9, it'll apparently mow your lawn, cook your dinner, get you a date, and wash your car....all at the same time! -it's Jesus/Budha/Gandi all rolled into one."

Wait, I thought that was the CZ P07?

Seriously, the rampant flavor of the day fanboism in the firearms community nowadays is getting to be like listening to my 11 year old daughter reel through the "boy band of the month" routine...

Well played.

DreadPirateMoyer
07-01-14, 14:00
OP,

I'd highly suggest checking out the following guns:

HK P30 or P2000SK
CZ P-07
Beretta 92
M&P9 or M&P9C
HK VP9 (when it comes out)
Walther PPQ
FN FNS or FNX

The above guns are the only ones I've found to work out of the box (M&P's only recently being added to the list after fixing their accuracy issues) in recent times. Of them all, I'd recommend the HK's or the Walther depending on if you prefer DA/SA or striker (I find DA/SA to be no problem, but other people don't). They're more likely to work out of the box than any other handgun these days. I also want to recommend the HK VP9 based on HK's reputation, but it just came out and needs some time before continuing that reputation.

I definitely would not buy any Glock made since 2010, any XD, or any 1911. Modern Glock 9mms, both Gen3 and Gen4, have had many, many problems. Glock fanboys won't admit to it or will use anecdotal evidence saying that because they own 3 Glocks, they can say the issues are gone, but it's not true (and I've owned and shot extensively more than 5, all of which had problems by 3,000 rounds). Modern Glocks are having so many problems that Ken Hackathorn (someone who sees probably hundreds or thousands of Glocks per year) has even advised against them in the same grain as 1911s for average shooters due to how much tinkering can be required to get one to run properly. XD's have too many poor design choices and problem records to purchase as well, and a 1911 is not a good pistol to start with in 9mm. I wouldn't touch any of these pistols with a 10-foot pole.

Gary1911A1
07-01-14, 18:06
I agree with the posters who recommended going to a range that rents most of the pistols mentioned and trying them for yourself. What might be great for me might be just so so to you. Having said that the Walther PPQ is worth a look.

bighawk
07-04-14, 21:06
M&P or Glock 19 or 17.. They are all inexpensive and reliable.

I am a big Glock fan and own and carry a few different models which I also carry daily.

All of them have been purchased since 2010 and all are flawless so far.

One of which is a Gen 3 19 and has about 6,000 rounds through it and my newest Gen 3 19 has about 2000 rounds on it.

I also own a few M&P pistols which are pretty awesome and ergonomic too.

I only have brief experience with the Walther PPQ and FNS but both are quite nice to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no1ryno
07-04-14, 21:26
If you like glocks and don't have a long slide yet.........you need to fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegademiC
07-05-14, 00:32
M&Ps are, IMO, the best for the $ out right now, and post better accuracy than most plastic guns. I do like glocks though, but went the M&P route for various reasons. No experience with other plastics, but I'd feel comfortable with M&P, glock, ppq, or HK and some ammo to get used to ergos and ensure reliability with that particular sample. They are all better than required for SD situations.

As for metal da/sa pistols, plastic strikers do everything better in my experience. More capacity, less weight, similar accuracy, faster, more available support, and less $.

MAWhite
07-05-14, 11:23
Everyone always mentions Glock, but what about the Springfield XD? I've had one for years without a single issue, and have over 5K rounds through it.

Agreed...and like the Glock you'll have money left over!

kevN
07-05-14, 20:17
I'm a Glock shooter because they make a good platform to get a pistol built to my needs and the wide variety of sizes for what is the essentially same pistol in different form factors (34/17/19/26). The PPQ is an awesome pistol as well. I like a G17 with grip cut to accept G19 magazines as the best overall combination of shoot-ability and conceal-ability.

MadAngler1
07-05-14, 21:39
I need help in selecting a quality 9mm handgun for plinking & addition to my home defense system. I am willing to spend $900. I am looking at (1) very good reliability (2) trigger that is consistant with aprox. 4.5 to 5.5 lb. pull (3) 4 to 41/2 inch barrel. I have between small to medium hands. I held a Beretta 92f and didn't like the trigger because it is DA then single action. Thanks for all opinions & your time. Semper Fi Till I Die!

I would look at the new H&K VP9. The grip has three sets of back straps and panels for small, medium and large hands. The trigger appears to be superb from the reports of people who now have the gun in hand. I own a H&K P30 and have been very happy with it. I would take it over my Glock any day, due to its superior accuracy from its cold-hammer forged barrel.

MadAngler1
07-05-14, 22:00

It has been out for 3-4 years now in the M1 and M2 variants (only difference between the two is the paddle style vs. push button style mag release). My dad has a M2, and it is a nice gun. However, he is going to send it to either a gunsmith or Walther to work on the trigger mechanism. There is a significant amount of friction during the initial take up, and it has not gotten any better after 2000 rounds of "break in". Apparently, a few others on the Walther forum have had the same issue. Otherwise, he has not had a single malfunction after 2000 rounds of shooting. I think I can say it's a good gun to go with in terms of reliability, just make sure you try the trigger first.

If it were my money, I would buy the H&K VP9. H&P thoroughly tests their pistols before releasing them. They were among the first to introduce the modern striker fired pistol, long before Glock came on the scene (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_VP70 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_P7). I trust it will be right up there with the P30, which is perhaps the best DA/SA 9 mm pistol you can buy today. The VP9 also uses P30 magazines, which is a huge plus, since they are made like tanks.

Glocks are another alternative. I have a Glock 17 (gen 3) with 2000+ rounds and a Glock 19 (gen 3) with close to 1000. No issues with either gun. The G19 may spit brass in my face from time to time, but the G17 runs like a champ. It's important to note though, that I had both guns stippled and added several modifications: Trijicon HD night sights, vickers mag release and a vickers extended slide stop. All of these mods make the gun run far better than the stock model. When you add them up, it turns a $525-550 pistol into a $700-750 gun. It's essentially what you will pay for a VP9 with the Meprolight night sights or a Walther PPQ with similar style night sights. Something to think about. The new Gen 4 models have a textured grip on them and interchangeable back straps. The grip panels are not interchangeable like the VP9 or P30 though.

I would try to find someone who owns a few of these guns and try them for yourself. Everyone is different. See what you like. My guess is that you will buy 3-4 different pistols before settling on what you prefer. As you become more proficient (if you are serious about shooting), you will find out quickly what works and what does not, when faced in stressful situations (IDPA, Gunsite classes, etc).

Trajan
07-06-14, 08:56
I would look at the new H&K VP9. The grip has three sets of back straps and panels for small, medium and large hands. The trigger appears to be superb from the reports of people who now have the gun in hand. I own a H&K P30 and have been very happy with it. I would take it over my Glock any day, due to its superior accuracy from its cold-hammer forged barrel.

Accuracy comes from barrel lockup. Glocks have hammer forged barrels as well. Very popular in Europe as it's cheaper to make (after the initial cost of the machine is made up).

MadAngler1
07-06-14, 12:32
Accuracy comes from barrel lockup. Glocks have hammer forged barrels as well. Very popular in Europe as it's cheaper to make (after the initial cost of the machine is made up).

Sorry for not being more specific. I was just stating the HK was more accurate than the Glock.

You are right though. The way a HK pistol locks up is one of the many keys to its accuracy. I am amazed at how tight the HK45 and P30 lock up to the slide and frame. It is comparable to certain semi-custom 1911s in some respects.