PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with 2 builds

lahunter57
06-29-14, 14:52
I just completed my first build, an SPR and now it's all downhill from here because I caught the build bug. The jerk that owns the gun shop down the road from just had to have an amazing sale so I picked up 2 more lowers. The lowers are now complete minus the stocks. I'm going with the B5 Sopmod Bravo for both. Here's the dilemma.

My girlfriend loves to come shoot pistols with me but she's never satisfied with shooting any AR I own. They are either too heavy or the length of pull is too long (I have 2 with A2 stocks and my DD is too heavy). So for these 2 builds I have her in mind because I can't effectively teach her if it's an unpleasant experience.

So, some of my requirements for the builds:
-Midlength Gas
-14.5" barrel
-lightweight or similar contour
-lightweight as a whole without getting ridiculous with titanium pivot pins and such

I'm wanting the rifles to be identical just ease of use and they will be used for teaching her and also for taking classes. I'm going after a KISS/truck gun(if you will) style build.

Those of you with female shooters, could you point me in a good direction for hand guards and barrel combinations, and those that have used the magpul moe handguards could you provide some input on the woman's opinion on those. The other option I'm leaving towards is the ALG EMR with M-LOK but I can't decide if I wanna go with the FSB for durability reasons. I know the weight EMR with a DD fixed sight should beat the FSB with MOE handguards, but I'm not sure it's significant.

Any input would be greatly appreciated because her opinion on anything weapon related is hard to come by with her so I'm left to fend for myself. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dead Man
06-29-14, 14:58
MI Gen II SS; light, narrow, easy to grasp, cheap and good

SOPMODs are heavy stocks. You would not catch me putting twice as much stock weight on my rifle as I need to, personally.

lahunter57
06-29-14, 15:10

SOPMODs are heavy stocks. You would not catch me putting twice as much stock weight on my rifle as I need to, personally.

Specs show the B5 Bravo at 8.25oz and the magpul moe comes in at 8oz. Unless I'm in the dark, I don't think there are many stocks lighter than the moe/ctr, if any. I'm ok with the quarter of an oz difference in the rear.

JS-Maine
06-29-14, 15:14
My girlfriend loves to come shoot pistols with me but she's never satisfied with shooting any AR I own.

Sticking with your KISS/truck gun theme I would go for a straight up MOE rig, maybe with a A2 grip and/or VFG, and see what she thinks of that. Not saying this is the case with your girl, but the jump from pistol to AR can be intimidating for some lesser gung-ho shooters. The buttons and levers and handles can be a lot to learn for someone who is perfectly content blasting away with a pistol they enjoy shooting and already know.

Dead Man
06-29-14, 15:14
Specs show the B5 Bravo at 8.25oz and the magpul moe comes in at 8oz. Unless I'm in the dark, I don't think there are many stocks lighter than the moe/ctr, if any. I'm ok with the quarter of an oz difference in the rear.

8.25 isn't bad at all. If B5 has managed that and still produced a functional, durable stock, then kudos to them.

lahunter57
06-29-14, 15:21
Sticking with your KISS/truck gun theme I would go for a straight up MOE rig, maybe with a A2 grip and/or VFG, and see what she thinks of that. Not saying this is the case with your girl, but the jump from pistol to AR can be intimidating for some lesser gung-ho shooters. The buttons and levers and handles can be a lot to learn for someone who is perfectly content blasting away with a pistol they enjoy shooting and already know.

She was definitely not used to the manipulations involved in shooting an AR since she's been shooting purely glock pistols. The weight of the rifle really limited the our time and her enthusiasm to learn. Once I get a good light rifle, we can really start to delve into the mechanics.

I'm most worried about the girth of the MOE handguard and I'd really like to keep her away from VFG's but I guess I could let her try one out.

TexasAggie2005
06-29-14, 15:23
My wife really likes this setup; Colt 6920, B5 Keymod Handguard, Magpul K2 Grip, Mission First Tactical Minimalist Stock, Aimpoint H1. It's approximately 7.25lbs fully loaded, and the small handguard allows for an easy grip.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/30/are6yzyz.jpg

Zim
06-29-14, 16:41
Have you thought about going with one of BCM's ELW/KMR uppers? Or does that go against the "truck gun" idea? They're definitely light weight, and the KMR is pretty narrow.

Iraqgunz
06-29-14, 16:43
I know you won't listen to me, but I would advise you to stay away from a 14.5" and stick with the 16".

lahunter57
06-29-14, 16:56
I know you won't listen to me, but I would advise you to stay away from a 14.5" and stick with the 16".

Well, I've considered it. I was looking hard at the ballistic advantage 14.5 but it's not chrome lined, and that brought me back to the Sionics 16". I don't know everyone's affiliations yet but I think I remember you saying you were involved with sionics, I may be wrong. I do love that barrel, it seems to have everything I'm looking for other than being 14.5. Can I ask why you prefer the 16?

TehLlama
06-29-14, 16:56
You'll want a light on it, so the railed lightweight handguard with DD sights is preferable because an X300 can live in front of that sight and work ambidextrously as an extremely light weaponlight, so the MI, ALG, BCM KMR or similar rail being lighter than a standard FSB build becomes worth the cost difference.
MOE Stock/Grip makes great sense on those, that what my wife's rifle wears.

For weight/simplicity/ability to make it a beater gun, the 16" has the appeal of being able to run an A2 hider and be done with it - for the BCM/DD LW profiles, that 1.5" or barrel weighs a truly insignificant mount, and being able to spend that money towards a WML and micro Aimpoint is great, so do consider that. My wife's that I had the exact same design parameters on wound up being a 14.5" BC1.5, and I'm only happy I went with that as a result of having to PCS through a ban state, beyond that it's a bit of a waste.

The last problem you'll have is wanting one of your own if you get it right. Ideally, just get a pair set up like this:

BCM 16" LW/ELW Upper with KMR Rail (13 or 11") - set it up the way Larry Vickers has his in their promo material (X300 out front, DD Fixed sights, Aimpoint [H1, T1 if you insist] Micro on DD Mount).
Grab a BCM Blemished complete lower (with whatever setup it comes with from G&R), and drive on from there.

That basic layout is very good, extremely flexible, and light - you'll want a second for yourself. Add a good sling and some magazines and be done with it unless range/magnification are needed.

lahunter57
06-29-14, 16:58
Have you thought about going with one of BCM's ELW/KMR uppers? Or does that go against the "truck gun" idea? They're definitely light weight, and the KMR is pretty narrow.

Yes, I have considered it, but since I'm building 2 of them at once, I'm trying to stick to a decent price point. The KMR is an amazing product and I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my rifle and honestly they come in at a great price but I just don't want to have to buy 2 of them at once.

GH41
06-29-14, 16:59

What stock weighs 4 1/8th ounces?

Iraqgunz
06-29-14, 17:02
I don't see chrome lined vs. Melonite or whatever a deal breaker. As to the 14.5" vs. 16" there is no real advantage in the overall length. The money you spend on a compliant muzzle device, the pin and weld work (cost and possibly shipping) not to mention the difficulties that will be encountered later if you ever decide to make a change. I would prefer to spend that extra money on a good barrel or something else.

Well, I've considered it. I was looking hard at the ballistic advantage 14.5 but it's not chrome lined, and that brought me back to the Sionics 16". I don't know everyone's affiliations yet but I think I remember you saying you were involved with sionics, I may be wrong. I do love that barrel, it seems to have everything I'm looking for other than being 14.5. Can I ask why you prefer the 16?

lahunter57
06-29-14, 17:05
You'll want a light on it, so the railed lightweight handguard with DD sights is preferable because an X300 can live in front of that sight and work ambidextrously as an extremely light weaponlight, so the MI, ALG, BCM KMR or similar rail being lighter than a standard FSB build becomes worth the cost difference.
MOE Stock/Grip makes great sense on those, that what my wife's rifle wears.

For weight/simplicity/ability to make it a beater gun, the 16" has the appeal of being able to run an A2 hider and be done with it - for the BCM/DD LW profiles, that 1.5" or barrel weighs a truly insignificant mount, and being able to spend that money towards a WML and micro Aimpoint is great, so do consider that. My wife's that I had the exact same design parameters on wound up being a 14.5" BC1.5, and I'm only happy I went with that as a result of having to PCS through a ban state, beyond that it's a bit of a waste.

The last problem you'll have is wanting one of your own if you get it right. Ideally, just get a pair set up like this:

BCM 16" LW/ELW Upper with KMR Rail (13 or 11") - set it up the way Larry Vickers has his in their promo material (X300 out front, DD Fixed sights, Aimpoint [H1, T1 if you insist] Micro on DD Mount).
Grab a BCM Blemished complete lower (with whatever setup it comes with from G&R), and drive on from there.

That basic layout is very good, extremely flexible, and light - you'll want a second for yourself. Add a good sling and some magazines and be done with it unless range/magnification are needed.

I'm very familiar with the light set up, I have a DD V7 with the MFR and I run my X300 in the 12 o'clock position and love it. I didn't even think about lighting options with a FSB. I had a light at the 10 o'clock position on another rifle and I hated it.

One of the things that scares me about a 14.5 is destroying a $100 muzzle device should I change something on it.

I already have both lowers, and my goal is to build them at the same time.

TehLlama
06-29-14, 17:06
Yes, I have considered it, but since I'm building 2 of them at once, I'm trying to stick to a decent price point. The KMR is an amazing product and I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my rifle and honestly they come in at a great price but I just don't want to have to buy 2 of them at once.

Especially since you'll be spending two carbines worth of money, buy once cry twice, instead of buy twice cry 4x. Save a bit of money elsewhere, if need be repurpose existing lowers, but especially if you're pinning and welding muzzle devices, don't opt to save pennies. It's an expensive lesson to learn through experience, so that's why I'm taking the time to type it: I have, you don't have to.

[ETA]
My question now is what about your V7 isn't sufficiently lightweight? Is it the govvy profile unit, and with an optic on it?

One can take something like a 6720 and make it work with the Centurion C4FSP12.0, but the net result is a tad heavier than need be:
http://oi47.tinypic.com/1zldx14.jpg.
This is also an example of a pinned device being a money pit - pinned 14.7"/A2, this is a really solid rifle, but wound up being a touch heavier than effectively helpful for.

I love the above carbine, but it was basically obsoleted by a lighter, skinnier handguard setup that let me run a lighter stock on the back to balance it, and the revised carbine is now the pretty lady's.

lahunter57
06-29-14, 17:16
Especially since you'll be spending two carbines worth of money, buy once cry twice, instead of buy twice cry 4x. Save a bit of money elsewhere, if need be repurpose existing lowers, but especially if you're pinning and welding muzzle devices, don't opt to save pennies. It's an expensive lesson to learn through experience, so that's why I'm taking the time to type it: I have, you don't have to.

[ETA]
My question now is what about your V7 isn't sufficiently lightweight? Is it the govvy profile unit, and with an optic on it?

One can take something like a 6720 and make it work with the Centurion C4FSP12.0, but the net result is a tad heavier than need be:
http://oi47.tinypic.com/1zldx14.jpg.
This is also an example of a pinned device being a money pit - pinned 14.7"/A2, this is a really solid rifle, but wound up being a touch heavier than effectively helpful for.

I love the above carbine, but it was basically obsoleted by a lighter, skinnier handguard setup that let me run a lighter stock on the back to balance it, and the revised carbine is now the pretty lady's.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying.

My V7 has an ACOG TA02 on it and it's govt profile. It's just too much for her weight and optics wise. I feel like she needs to start with irons and then move up to the red dot just to keep it simple.

My V7 is set up to be my defensive weapon, and I'm not up to changing anything around on it. Plus I'd rather just dump more money into two more rifles:)

Zim
06-29-14, 17:19
I understand wanting two identical rifles for you and your lady, but do you really need them both at the same time? It sounds like you have existing rifles that you're comfortable with, so why not spend the little extra now and get your lady the ELW/KMR rather than two copies of an inferior product? Then buy another one in the next month or two.

lahunter57
06-29-14, 17:25
I understand wanting two identical rifles for you and your lady, but do you really need them both at the same time? It sounds like you have existing rifles that you're comfortable with, so why not spend the little extra now and get your lady the ELW/KMR rather than two copies of an inferior product? Then buy another one in the next month or two.

No, I really don't, but the way I've been approaching it is to buy one component at a time. So I'd buy both barrels, then with the next paycheck, buy the handguards and so on. I wasn't really looking at complete uppers.

lahunter57
06-29-14, 17:26

Also, I wasn't going to cheap out and settle with a product just to get it done. I'm going with quality stuff.

Zim
06-29-14, 17:40
Fair enough. It looks like you only stand to save ~$30 buying complete uppers, and BCM has stripped ELW barrels for sale now, too.

lahunter57
06-29-14, 17:46
Fair enough. It looks like you only stand to save ~$30 buying complete uppers, and BCM has stripped ELW barrels for sale now, too.

It'd be much easier to buy a complete one, but I just like the little by little aspect.

jackblack73
06-29-14, 17:52
I personally find the MOE handguards too bulky, and I'm guessing my hands are bigger than hers. I personally use a Centurion CMR, but I like the looks of the Midwest SSM M-Lok at a much lower price. I also find my MOE grip fits perfectly, but I'd probably get her a MIAD grip so she can decide what size fits comfortably.

lahunter57
06-29-14, 17:52
I don't see chrome lined vs. Melonite or whatever a deal breaker. As to the 14.5" vs. 16" there is no real advantage in the overall length. The money you spend on a compliant muzzle device, the pin and weld work (cost and possibly shipping) not to mention the difficulties that will be encountered later if you ever decide to make a change. I would prefer to spend that extra money on a good barrel or something else.

After looking at the ballistic advantage barrels, they have a qpq coating and until just a few minutes ago I wasn't aware that it is melonite.

lahunter57
06-29-14, 17:55
I personally find the MOE handguards too bulky, and I'm guessing my hands are bigger than hers. I personally use a Centurion CMR, but I like the looks of the Midwest SSM M-Lok at a much lower price. I also find my MOE grip fits perfectly, but I'd probably get her a MIAD grip so she can decide what size fits comfortably.

I have a CMR on my SPR and I love it. Easily my favorite handguard. I'm really attracted to the ALG EMR with m-lok for these two rifles because of their features and price.

TehLlama
06-29-14, 18:58
Yeah, I understand what you're saying.
My V7 has an ACOG TA02 on it and it's govt profile. It's just too much for her weight and optics wise. I feel like she needs to start with irons and then move up to the red dot just to keep it simple.
My V7 is set up to be my defensive weapon, and I'm not up to changing anything around on it. Plus I'd rather just dump more money into two more rifles:)

V7/TA01 isn't exactly a heavy rifle, so shooting position probably plays a role in that.

I'd really suggest that it's easier to learn rifle mechanics on a red dot sight (instead of having to keep both sight alignment and sight picture) for newer shooters, so it's probably preferable to build one up completely with red dot, then work on a clone.

JS-Maine
06-29-14, 19:10
She was definitely not used to the manipulations involved in shooting an AR since she's been shooting purely glock pistols.

I'll just say that in my experience with my wife that's not as easy of a threshold to cross as one would think. I think for my wife the sense of having her face pressed against a violently recoiling firearm just isn't as appealing as a firearm discharging at arms length. I'm not saying don't go for it. By all means, go for it, but with an understanding that it might take some coaxing or the rifle might not workout at all.

With that in mind, I would avoid building any rifle that you wouldn't personally have enjoyment shooting. I suggested the MOE rig because it's easily modified later, and the handguards are inexpensive if discarded at some point.

I'm most worried about the girth of the MOE handguard and I'd really like to keep her away from VFG's but I guess I could let her try one out.

We're on the same page there. I don't feel the VFG is beneficial in most regards for new shooters. The only advantage being that a VFG is both comfortable to hold, easy to attach, and again cheap if discarded later. Objective #1 has to be just getting her comfortable with the AR if possible. The VFG and the MOE HG can go later with minimal loss.

This all from someone who has thus far failed to stir any enthusiasm for the AR in my wife....FYI.

lahunter57
06-29-14, 19:47
I'll just say that in my experience with my wife that's not as easy of a threshold to cross as one would think. I think for my wife the sense of having her face pressed against a violently recoiling firearm just isn't as appealing as a firearm discharging at arms length. I'm not saying don't go for it. By all means, go for it, but with an understanding that it might take some coaxing or the rifle might not workout at all.

With that in mind, I would avoid building any rifle that you wouldn't personally have enjoyment shooting. I suggested the MOE rig because it's easily modified later, and the handguards are inexpensive if discarded at some point.

We're on the same page there. I don't feel the VFG is beneficial in most regards for new shooters. The only advantage being that a VFG is both comfortable to hold, easy to attach, and again cheap if discarded later. Objective #1 has to be just getting her comfortable with the AR if possible. The VFG and the MOE HG can go later with minimal loss.

This all from someone who has thus far failed to stir any enthusiasm for the AR in my wife....FYI.

Ohh definitely. Really I'm building them for myself just with her in mind. It's going to be a long slow process getting her to come around and at least I'm coming out with 2 lightweight rifles that fill multiple roles. I wish you luck in your endeavors with your wife, it's the effort that counts I suppose!

MistWolf
06-29-14, 20:49
She likes handguns, build her a handgun. A 10.5 LW profile barrel will be pretty light and the GC will fall about the aft end of the mag well equipped with withthe Sig arm brace.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/WolfCub008_zpsfa095b46.jpg

I'm not sure how much it weighs, but it's pretty handy. My wife likes how it handles better than the 16 inch.

If you want to know which set of handguards are best for your wife, ask her

lahunter57
06-29-14, 21:49
She likes handguns, build her a handgun. A 10.5 LW profile barrel will be pretty light and the GC will fall about the aft end of the mag well equipped with withthe Sig arm brace.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/WolfCub008_zpsfa095b46.jpg

I'm not sure how much it weighs, but it's pretty handy. My wife likes how it handles better than the 16 inch.

If you want to know which set of handguards are best for your wife, ask her

I saw your post the other day about this pistol! I really love the idea and wouldn't mind having one, but I already completed the lowers so I'm stuck building a rifle.

As far as her opinion on handguards, she couldn't care less. I told her that one of the rifles was hers and and laughed at me. So, I'm stuck making the decisions.

I'm sure this rifle will be stuck on safe duty for a while but at least I'll have 2 on backup.

MistWolf
06-29-14, 22:08
If you have not yet configured the lowers as rifles, you may configure them as pistols. From my research, the BATF states a lower isn't a pistol or rifle until it is barreled. A lower with a rifle stock (no upper) is still transferred as "OTHER" because the stock can be removed to be configured as a pistol.

If you first configure a receiver as a rifle, it will always be a rifle.

If you first configure a receiver as a pistol, you may reconfigure it as a rifle. A pistol receiver that is re-configured as a rifle may again be re-configured as a pistol. It is up to the possessor to perform the re-configuration in a sequence so that it is never in an illegal configuration.

These rulings are the result of the lawsuit by Thompson Center vs the BATF.

Unless the first configuration of your lowers were as a rifle and a rifle barrel installed, it may still be configured as a pistol

lahunter57
06-29-14, 22:18
If you have not yet configured the lowers as rifles, you may configure them as pistols. From my research, the BATF states a lower isn't a pistol or rifle until it is barreled. A lower with a rifle stock (no upper) is still transferred as "OTHER" because the stock can be removed to be configured as a pistol.

If you first configure a receiver as a rifle, it will always be a rifle.

If you first configure a receiver as a pistol, you may reconfigure it as a rifle. A pistol receiver that is re-configured as a rifle may again be re-configured as a pistol. It is up to the possessor to perform the re-configuration in a sequence so that it is never in an illegal configuration.

These rulings are the result of the lawsuit by Thompson Center vs the BATF.

Unless the first configuration of your lowers were as a rifle and a rifle barrel installed, it may still be configured as a pistol

Hmm, I did not know that. I thought it had to be a pistol marked lower or something but then again I never really looked into it.

That's got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard though. How in the world would the ATF ever know what sequence you assembled the lower in? Then again, there's probably a predator circling my house right now.

Slvr Surfr
06-30-14, 01:55
Pistols AR's are handy, just keep in mind the fact that they are loud as hell depending on what muzzle device you use. If your wife is even remotely finicky, then I think that might be a turn off.

I built my wife an AR based on left over parts I had on hand. The handguard was a quad rail from my Les Baer Patrol Spcl and it didn't even bother her. I think that most folks that have never shot rifles really have no opinion on things like handguards since they have no prior info to base it on.

IMHO, focus on the training aspect when ever you get your gun built. If your wife cares about using the rifle she will acclimate to the equipment on it unless it physically keeps her from using it. As for the MOE handguards, I think they will work fine.

I also second the opinion above to have her play with the parts before you buy them if possible. You can always take her to the local gun shop and have her handle different guns with different furniture/barrel lengths.

discreet
06-30-14, 02:15

This is some great advice. Especially since he's building these with his gal in mind.

Op, It's up to her to say what SHE likes best, and well, with a perm'd 14.5 you sol on doing so. Well, that and 14.5's are just an un needed pita for really no real world benefit other than the fact you can say "I have what the military uses" at your local gunshop, and end up quoted by someone here, on the "heard it in a gunshop" thread lol.

MorphCross
06-30-14, 02:41
As far as her opinion on handguards, she couldn't care less. I told her that one of the rifles was hers and and laughed at me. So, I'm stuck making the decisions.

Now be honest with yourself, if your wife is expressing this level of disinterest in an AR purportedly for her to the point where she is unwilling to provide any input on something that can affect the feel of the rifle, that may be a clue that she just isn't that in to the idea of having her own AR. IMO, drive on with your own idea's but do heed the advice given about barrel lengths and such. A 16" ELW from BCM would be a great choice.

Then again, there's probably a predator circling my house right now.

Impossible, the Predators are hovering around my house, their control frequencies keep bleeding through my tinfoil hat.

Pistols AR's are handy, just keep in mind the fact that they are loud as hell depending on what muzzle device you use. If your wife is even remotely finicky, then I think that might be a turn off.

I also second the opinion above to have her play with the parts before you buy them if possible. You can always take her to the local gun shop and have her handle different guns with different furniture/barrel lengths.

All firearms that shoot rifle cartridges out of pistol length barrels are going to have horrible concussion with standard MDs. There is a reason why reloading manuals have a separate section for rifle cartridges shot out of hunting pistols.

I will third trying out a variety of rifle handguards, but it goes back to point one of this post. She isn't expressing the necessary enthusiasm that really makes it worth your while. IOW, drive on with your own thing, if she comes around reconfiguring isn't that big a deal.

Tigereye
06-30-14, 06:27
2 years ago I started down a similar path when my wife and daughters (college-aged) shot one of my AR's (DDV5) for the first time. They had a blast and the girls even taped their targets in their college apartment (wicked head shots). A few months later, we all shot rifles again and I started down the path. I got a BCM blem lower from Grant and a DDV7 upper. I replaced the MFR with a Centurion CMR and put a H1 on it. It is incredibly lightweight and easy to shoot for my wife and daughters. The only complaint was a few weeks ago when the hand guard heated up after about 120 rounds in about 15 minutes (a couple of their friends shot with us). I've now put the panels on the rails where my wife and girls hold the gun. I handle it out on the end of the hand guard so the panels don't get in my way either. This has been a great set up for them and I enjoy shooting it too.
As previously stated, I would stick to a 16" since things will change and she may tell you a year from now what she prefers. It's not like my wife is going down to the LGS to "try on" several options.

Pi3
06-30-14, 14:30
"BCM 16" LW/ELW Upper with KMR Rail (13 or 11") - set it up the way Larry Vickers has his in their promo material (X300 out front, DD Fixed sights, Aimpoint [H1, T1 if you insist] Micro on DD Mount).
Grab a BCM Blemished complete lower (with whatever setup it comes with from G&R), and drive on from there."

I've been thinking the same thing exactly, but with fold down sights & an H1. I am using all of my will power to resist getting one of these. Very tempting.

lahunter57
06-30-14, 19:13
Well guys, I think I have it figured out.

I'm going to throw the idea of building identical rifles, I don't want to limit myself to the same configuration in 2 weapons.

Both rifles will feature 16" barrels so I can maintain the ability to change things if need be.

Rifle 1: BCM 16" LW with FSB and Magpul MOE. Fixed DD rear sight. This will be my truck/beater rifle

Rifle 2: 16" LW barreled upper with ALG EMR and DD fixed sight with plans for a T1 in the future.

Rifle 2 would more than adequately serve my other half if she decides to come around and Rifle 1 may be upgraded to the C4 at a later date

JS-Maine
06-30-14, 19:51
Right on. Didn't want to discourage you or anything, but it looks like the brainstorm session produced some good configurations for you. I think you'll be happy with the 16" barrels, and those suggesting the idea gave solid advice. Curious what you are going for with your pistol grips.

lahunter57
06-30-14, 20:29
Right on. Didn't want to discourage you or anything, but it looks like the brainstorm session produced some good configurations for you. I think you'll be happy with the 16" barrels, and those suggesting the idea gave solid advice. Curious what you are going for with your pistol grips.

I think so too! The other day I made a dumb comment about some people on here but most of y'all are awesome and provide amazing advice and information. I wish I had found this place before I bought my first AR.

Right now I have MOE pistol grips on the lowers but I'll have to put one in her hands and see what she thinks of it. I have a ton of A2's laying around. If she likes the profile then I'll just grind off that stupid little nub that makes incompatible with human hands.

lahunter57
06-30-14, 20:36

I think so too! The other day I made a dumb comment about some people on here but most of y'all are awesome and provide amazing advice and information. I wish I had found this place before I bought my first AR.

Right now I have MOE pistol grips on the lowers but I'll have to put one in her hands and see what she thinks of it. I have a ton of A2's laying around. If she likes the profile then I'll just grind off that stupid little nub that makes incompatible with human hands.

TehLlama
07-01-14, 05:57
Well guys, I think I have it figured out.

I'd say build one you're confident you'll be happy with as a very simple, light upper, and see what about it she likes. If that one is totally GTG, clone it, otherwise make adjustments, and in the interim you'll have something you're sufficiently enthusiastic about; that said the above plan will most definitely do.

USAF Shirt
07-01-14, 21:33
Deleted

lahunter57
07-09-14, 22:07
Well I'm going to revive this thread for one more question,

BCM BFH LW or ELW Fluted?

The ELW is lighter, which fits the profile I'm looking for, but the BFH offers longer barrel life. It feels like either way I go the difference will be unnoticeable to me, but I may be wrong.

With so many choices its incredibly hard to make a decision.

TehLlama
07-09-14, 23:25
The barrel life of one is roughly $8,000 in loaded ammunition, the other is closer to $7,000 worth of loaded ammunition. Choose the profile that makes the most sense for you, at the cost that makes the most sense for you. Just like you said, there are lots of choices; in this case there aren't tons of bad ones. Choosing between two good options means that even the 'wrong' choice is still not a bad result.

lahunter57
07-09-14, 23:35
The barrel life of one is roughly $8,000 in loaded ammunition, the other is closer to $7,000 worth of loaded ammunition. Choose the profile that makes the most sense for you, at the cost that makes the most sense for you. Just like you said, there are lots of choices; in this case there aren't tons of bad ones. Choosing between two good options means that even the 'wrong' choice is still not a bad result.

I know the round count required to significantly diminish the accuracy, erode gas port, ect would equal the cost of many barrels.

You're right, both are excellent. I just wish you could have it all in one.

MorphCross
07-09-14, 23:45
I know the round count required to significantly diminish the accuracy, erode gas port, ect would equal the cost of many barrels.

You're right, both are excellent. I just wish you could have it all in one.

Just ask yourself, Lighter weight with greater initial accuracy or heavier weight with more longevity? Me personally I would go with the ELW-F and not be too fussed with the longevity of the throat or bore.

If Daniel Defense ever saw it in them to offer their CHF nitrided barrels in a constant light weight taper i'd be all over that.

lahunter57
07-10-14, 08:44
Just ask yourself, Lighter weight with greater initial accuracy or heavier weight with more longevity? Me personally I would go with the ELW-F and not be too fussed with the longevity of the throat or bore.

If Daniel Defense ever saw it in them to offer their CHF nitrided barrels in a constant light weight taper i'd be all over that.

I've read a few places that BCM is supposed to be releasing a BFH ELW but I'm not sure of the accuracy of that information. I don't want to be spreading false rumors.

I know the standard ELW will serve me well for my purposes. I just got wrapped up in the longevity of the BFH.

TehLlama
07-10-14, 12:13
I've read a few places that BCM is supposed to be releasing a BFH ELW but I'm not sure of the accuracy of that information. I don't want to be spreading false rumors.
I know the standard ELW will serve me well for my purposes. I just got wrapped up in the longevity of the BFH.

I haven't seen or heard those rumors - but I'd assumed that as soon as I saw the ELW profiles that there would be a CHF-CL variant of them in short order; just remember that Filthy 14 wasn't a CHF barreled bit of awesome, so if you want something sooner you said exactly the part that matters - the standard ELW will serve you well. If you wind up buying the pair, the second one can be the CHF BFH version and end up becoming more of the high round count cow anyway.