PDA

View Full Version : I know crap about cans.

Boom
09-16-06, 15:56
Would one of you guys be willing to make a list of the cans that are on the market and which company makes them?

I think it would be a great resource of data if someone could come up with a list of say the top 15 cans on the market. Please add price and what kind of attachment methods each can has.

I know this is a lot of work but someone needs to help us new guys. Its not easy finding all the data about cans on the net. I don't even know where to start. :(

rob_s
09-16-06, 16:20
Would one of you guys be willing to make a list of the cans that are on the market and which company makes them?

I think it would be a great resource of data if someone could come up with a list of say the top 15 cans on the market. Please add price and what kind of attachment methods each can has.

I know this is a lot of work but someone needs to help us new guys. Its not easy finding all the data about cans on the net. I don't even know where to start. :(

Are you talking about the top 15 .223 cans or all cans?

Either way www.silencertests.com is a good start.

Nitrox
09-16-06, 16:37
Robert silvers did a really good job of chronicling the different types of silencers on the market. It goes without saying that db suppression figures are very subjective but lengths, weights, and cost are pretty consistent. The front page of silencertests.com is a valuable resource.

bigbore
09-16-06, 17:21
The boring truth about Form 4 purchased suppressors is bacisally the only difference is looks and attachment.

Posted data and second hand reports are worthless. You really need to hear them for yourself. I demoed several in front of 13 people a few weeks ago, and they were surprised at how similar they all sounded.

What do you "want"?

For what you will be doing with it, any and all of the "known names" are good enough, and there really isnt anough difference in sound of similiar cans to tell the difference.

I think OPS INC are the "coolest" suppressors available because I like the looks, weight, and how they mount for shorter OAL.

AAC makes very good, lightweight, strong cans, but I think they are butt ugly, the rounded end cap bugs me.

Surefire is an option, and has my favorite attachment but compare price and decide for yourself whats "worth" it to you.

Gemtech cans are also very good, but I think they are too heavy. Gemtech is also well know by dealers and customers to be the BEST suppressor maker to deal with from all standpoints of customer service.

IMO, the BEST option/value for the money for a Form 4 suppressor is by far the YHM. Its heavy, ugly, and is steel, but for the price its more than good enough for what anyone buying on a Form 4 "needs".

Josh-L
09-16-06, 18:33
Like bigbore pointed out most of the top makers will all sound similar. When I purchased my .308 can, one of the main reasons I went with SWR is because every time I called I got to talk with Joe and he was very friendly and answered all my questions that I'm sure he gets asked daily.

Boom
09-16-06, 19:28
Rob, Nitrox thx for the link I'll start reading. As to the top 15 I would say .556 & 9mm would be the most popular.

Steve thx for the response. Main use of the can will be for enjoying what hearing I have left. Weight is another issue, don't want something that will be overly heavy. I will more than likely be shooting a 10.3 barreled gun so weight and OAL are my concerns along with noise reduction. I don't need anything super quiet just something to remove the boom and hi pitched snap. This will be a semiauto only gun.

bigbore
09-16-06, 19:56
I don't need anything super quiet just something to remove the boom and hi pitched snap. This will be a semiauto only gun.

Wait a bit, and I should have a super small, light SBR suppressor to do just that. Just something to take the edge off a SBR, with db reduction expected in the high teens.:D

Boom
09-16-06, 20:09
Wait a bit, and I should have a super small, light SBR suppressor to do just that. Just something to take the edge off a SBR, with db reduction expected in the high teens.:D

Interesting that would work. I'll call you on Monday. Thx for the help. :)

bigbore
09-29-06, 10:02
Main use of the can will be for enjoying what hearing I have left. Weight is another issue, don't want something that will be overly heavy. I will more than likely be shooting a 10.3 barreled gun so weight and OAL are my concerns along with noise reduction. I

I think the best compromise to get you more of what you are looking for is the Gemtech M4-02.

16oz, as quiet as anything else, and extends past the muzzle 5.5".

SuicideHz
09-29-06, 15:29
High teens? What's the Piranha good for, for comparison purposes?

My 9mm can is 33db dry, 43 or so wet. I can't imagine JUST high teens on a .223. OUCH.

Hoplophile
09-29-06, 18:41
High teens? What's the Piranha good for, for comparison purposes?mid-high 20s as I recall.

My 9mm can is 33db dry, 43 or so wet.The full size 5.56 cans are generally in that range but not everybody wants to add 7 inches and 25 ounces to their cute little SBR.