PDA

View Full Version : 77 year old Florida man clips deputy's vehicle during traffic stop - just keeps going

Eurodriver
06-30-14, 19:52
Same story, different day.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/6/30/driver_cited_on_move.html

Deputies said the driver of the Cadillac, 77-year-old Robert Best, also failed to stop after the crash and was pulled over a short time later by another traffic deputy.

Best told deputies he was not aware that he hit anything or that there was obvious damage to his vehicle.

Just a few months ago, an FHP trooper was struck and killed by a driver while conducting a traffic stop.

At least Mr. Best has his independence.

Bolt_Overide
07-01-14, 07:09
Well, at least no one died this time.

polydeuces
07-01-14, 08:04
So lets get this straight - Dude drives on the interstate going at least 65 mph, completely destroys driver side door, then:
"Best told deputies he was not aware that he hit anything or that there was obvious damage to his vehicle. "

Gets a citation for failing to move....?
Are you f#$^%ng kidding me?

How's about revoking his DL????????????????????????

This guy obviously is totally impaired and has no business driving - how is it possible no one in law-enforcement will make that assessment? What are we waiting for - him to run over a kid on a bicycle or (victim of your choice)? Which he will and they do.
I live in that neck o the woods, and a jackass like that put me in the hospital for a serious amount of time.
It is beyond my comprehension, really, how these people still drive - DL testing in Florida is a complete and total joke.

markm
07-01-14, 10:24
Man... We pulled some old black man out of the Desert a few weeks back. Lost and driving around all day.. somehow ended up out where we shoot. Ran out of gas and it was getting dark.

Nice old man. I hope his retard family takes away his car keys.

Eurodriver
07-01-14, 10:45

This guy obviously is totally impaired and has no business driving - how is it possible no one in law-enforcement will make that assessment? What are we waiting for - him to run over a kid on a bicycle or (victim of your choice)?

Two words: Condo Commandos.

Even though he did this to a stationary LEO vehicle

http://www.baynews9.com/content/dam/news/images/2014/06/5/move-over-crash2-630.jpg

he is a voter. And there are a ton of 75+ year old voters in Florida. Percentile, and probably sheer numbers, there are more in FL than any other state. Taking away, or even making their driving privileges more difficult to retain, is the kiss of death for any politician.

So we, our kids, our LEOs, and our friends will continue to suffer. Just a few months ago, not far from this incident a 79 year old accidentally reversed into a crowd of church goers and killed three people.

License suspended for 1 year and a $1,000 fine.

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2014/04/03/woman-who-killed-3-in-church-parking-lot-loses-license/

J-Dub
07-01-14, 12:02
I mentioned this the last time. I almost got hit head on by an elderly doing about 50mph at an intersection. She took off my driver side mirror, and scuffed the side of my cruiser. I looked up and thought "wow this is gonna hurt".

She was having some seizure episode, we found out after a very short chase (low and behold nobody got harmed and we figured out what was going on quickly and treated her as a medical assist...not a psycho attempting to kill everyone in her path...police state though...). She also struck a Jeep and drove down the middle of the wrong side of a 4 lane road.

I'd bet money she still has her license.

Moose-Knuckle
07-01-14, 15:52
And with the aging population its only going to get worse, thankfully all the blue hairs retire in sunny Florida.

:jester:

SteyrAUG
07-01-14, 17:02
So lets get this straight - Dude drives on the interstate going at least 65 mph, completely destroys driver side door, then:
"Best told deputies he was not aware that he hit anything or that there was obvious damage to his vehicle. "

Gets a citation for failing to move....?

This guy obviously is totally impaired and has no business driving - how is it possible no one in law-enforcement will make that assessment? What are we waiting for - him to run over a kid on a bicycle or (victim of your choice)? Which he will and they do.
I live in that neck o the woods, and a jackass like that put me in the hospital for a serious amount of time.
It is beyond my comprehension, really, how these people still drive - DL testing in Florida is a complete and total joke.

The guy isn't impaired, he's FOS. When the airbag deployed he knew what that meant. Visible cracks in the windshield would also let him know what happened. I don't think for a second that he didn't know.

And yeah, he should lose his DL right there and then.

BIGUGLY
07-01-14, 21:53
not funny but my new patrol suv had 4 days on it and a 78 year old lady crosses my lane of traffic and drills my new Tahoe, yeah bright white daytime running lights on and a push bumper. all she could say was "I never saw you" That's why our state has a form any officer or deputy can fill out and with good reason cause the driver to get retested.

Kyohte
07-01-14, 22:41
That's why our state has a form any officer or deputy can fill out and with good reason cause the driver to get retested.

The thing is, a drivers test isn't exactly rocket science, as drivers so often prove. I'd bet many people on this forum have more training with firearms than they do with driving (I certainly do). When I moved to my current residence and had to retake the drivers exam, it was open book (for anyone that already had a license). I was congratulated for scoring 100% in a way that made me feel that most people didn't get 100%...on an open book exam. I also ride a motorcycle, and the old drivers are a large reason I will never live in Florida.

SteyrAUG
07-01-14, 23:01
The thing is, a drivers test isn't exactly rocket science, as drivers so often prove. I'd bet many people on this forum have more training with firearms than they do with driving (I certainly do). When I moved to my current residence and had to retake the drivers exam, it was open book (for anyone that already had a license). I was congratulated for scoring 100% in a way that made me feel that most people didn't get 100%...on an open book exam. I also ride a motorcycle, and the old drivers are a large reason I will never live in Florida.

To our horror and amazement my Grandmother passed her driving test TWICE after she became a problematic driver. Among the things she managed to hit prior to those driving tests 1. a mailbox, 2. a SUV parked in a 40 foot driveway (confused the gas with the brake) and 3. a brick wall (she was running late for lunch).

We are happy she never hit a person, but that was luck more than anything else.

Honu
07-02-14, 00:05
Had a lady the other day going into shopping center she was in the right lane I was in the left she then starts turning into me ? Stops just short of hitting me ? Then puts her left blinker on and sits in the intersection then kinda goes forward stops
She looked about 90 and don't see how she could see over the wheel even ?

Chances are she drove like crap at 50 just gets worse ! Same as crappy drivers in there twenties will be the crappy ones when they get old !

Eurodriver
07-02-14, 07:26
not funny but my new patrol suv had 4 days on it and a 78 year old lady crosses my lane of traffic and drills my new Tahoe, yeah bright white daytime running lights on and a push bumper. all she could say was "I never saw you" That's why our state has a form any officer or deputy can fill out and with good reason cause the driver to get retested.

I just looked up the statistics on infoplease.com

Florida has 2,800,000 more people age 62+ than Iowa does.

It is quite terrifying.

markm
07-02-14, 09:36
Wow! That's a lot of stolen Salt and Pepper shakers and silverware!!! :sarcastic:

brickboy240
07-02-14, 11:34
Old people and illegals are some of the scariest drivers I see in our city.

...next to the cell phone jockeys that just cannot leave their damn phones alone.

Thank God for Ranch Hand bumpers! LOL

-brickboy240

Big A
07-02-14, 11:55
I just looked up the statistics on infoplease.com

Florida has 2,800,000 more people age 62+ than Iowa does.

It is quite terrifying.

I'm more concerened about the people who don't have a valid licsense and therefore do not have insurance than I am senior citizen drivers.

You really have to do a lot of shitty driving to get your licsense suspended.

SteveS
07-03-14, 23:16
We will hopefully be that age and only clip cars.

SOWT
07-07-14, 11:06
Cop should sue the old man's insurance company.

Might not get a lot, but I bet his rates go up.

T2C
07-07-14, 11:33
And with the aging population its only going to get worse, thankfully all the blue hairs retire in sunny Florida.

:jester:

A lot of people refer to Florida as God's waiting room. :agree:

Waylander
07-07-14, 12:15

Eurodriver
01-14-15, 14:09
Well, it's that time of year again....

Snowbirds + Tourons = Traffic Fatalities

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2015/1/14/fhp_disoriented_woma.html

FHP: Disoriented woman, 75, causes wrong-way crash

Palmguy
01-14-15, 14:15
Well, it's that time of year again....

Snowbirds + Tourons = Traffic Fatalities

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2015/1/14/fhp_disoriented_woma.html

FHP: Disoriented woman, 75, causes wrong-way crash

And driving the standard-issue senior citizen vehicle as well (Mercury Grand Marquis)...

I'm glad I have a very short commute.

Mauser KAR98K
01-14-15, 14:28
As my late father told me (who had also plowed into an old woman--80--who pulled ain front of him):

"Son, if I can't drive 100 mph safely, take my license and shred it."

Man raced dragster as a teen, former LE, and had a ton of high performance driving training.

I have so many stories of old folks and driving due to me as a truck driver, I should retire on them as a comedian. Had one merge in to my trailer tires in a Mercades. Man was 90 years old. Told me he never saw me, or the tires that were nearly as tall as his car. Thought I was the tow truck driver, twice, while we waited for said tow truck.

Moose-Knuckle
01-15-15, 04:48
If I had to drive in FL I'd want an MRAP just to protect me from the old folks.

Bolt_Overide
01-15-15, 12:13
If I had to drive in FL I'd want an MRAP just to protect me from the old folks.

I'm not sure that would be enough hoss. I'm thinking more along the lines of a striker gun platform.

Heavy Metal
01-15-15, 12:34
The guy isn't impaired, he's FOS. When the airbag deployed he knew what that meant. Visible cracks in the windshield would also let him know what happened. I don't think for a second that he didn't know.

And yeah, he should lose his DL right there and then.

I don't think that is the driver's vehicle, I think that is the one he hit.

MBtech
01-15-15, 12:43
They are everywhere! I'm all for the MRAP

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eqGaIiwsTbA

Eurodriver
01-15-15, 13:18
They are everywhere! I'm all for the MRAP

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eqGaIiwsTbA

Goodness!!

At least it isn't limited to FL. We will never, ever, get legislation about this in our state. Ever.

MBtech
01-15-15, 14:49
I'm an auto technician, sometimes it is necessary on intermittent oddball complaints to duplicate a clients concern to ride with them. About 3 or 4 years ago I dreadfully ride with a little old lady to verify her concern. We drove for a few miles and she was like well the darn thing isn't gonna do it. So she puts on her turn signal to pull into a driveway to turn around as I'm thinking oh dear God please no!! Not here!! (blind hill right above this driveway and no way to know if a vehicle is going to pop over it) In reverse we go back out on the road and low and behold a semi pops over the hill chalking up all 18 wheels. I saw my life flash before my eyes and needed an underwear change!! I'm sure I looked like that dog in the above pic. Got back to the shop safely thank God as I recovered from my panic attack and told my service manager NEVER AGAIN!!!! You can fire me if you want! I found the problem though, A LOOSE NUT BEHIND THE WHEEL!