PDA

View Full Version : Problem With My 1911

jc75754
06-07-08, 17:43
I had a Wilson combat trigger installed in Springfield 1911. But the over travel screw is giving me some problems. I have used locktite but it still came loose after about 200 rounds. I had the trigger installed by a gunsmith and this raises another question, was this a shoddy trigger job? I have also read if the hammer bumps about two-thirds of the way down to the firing pin this can damage the sear when it contacts the safety notch. But the hammer will partially cock at the point where it is "bumping." The gunsmith that put the trigger in recently vanished under shady circumstances so i cant ask him. I need some help, is this fairly common problem or am i the victim of a bad gunsmith?

thanks in advance

Charles
06-07-08, 20:03
"Problem with my 1911"

So everything's normal then....................

Charles
06-07-08, 20:10
Sorry! I had to... "Lord Jesus I apologise"......... feed the starvin Pygmy's in Africa.......:D

grinch
06-07-08, 21:20
I dont know how much you can do yourself but you can locktite and stake the trigger that should do the trick or if you want to do it right just go get a 10-8 trigger.

jc75754
06-08-08, 05:06
I dont know how much you can do yourself but you can locktite and stake the trigger that should do the trick or if you want to do it right just go get a 10-8 trigger.

sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but what do you mean when you say stake the trigger?

Joe R.
06-08-08, 14:24
Grinch has pointed you in the right direction, but given your question I'd look for a competent gunsmith to do the work (not meant as a dig, just an observation).

Staking the trigger is done by setting the overtravel in the correct position and then using a center punch and peening the sides of the trigger pad on top of the over travel screw. This will "crush" the trigger bow onto the screw to prevent movement of the screw. This combined with lock tight will normally prevent the screw from moving out of adjustment.

If you want a no fail system, have a 10-8 trigger installed.

Rinspeed
06-10-08, 08:42
For locktite to work properly both parts need to be cleaned with a solvent of some sort.

markm
06-10-08, 08:45
I do it redneck style.... I just leave the over travel screw out in the first place.

(I'm sure this contributes to Global Warming or something.... but I don't have to worry about that little thing moving around)

Perryguy
06-10-08, 10:12
Find yourself a good 1911 'smith.

RD62
06-10-08, 12:53
If you are holding your hammer to the rear, depressing the trigger, releasing the trigger and then lowering the hammer manually, it is normal for the hammer to catch on the half-cock notch.

If during the normal course of firing the hammer is striking the halfcock notch, this is NOT NORMAL and may cause damage to the sear. It needs to be fixed.

If the overtravel screw is moving in the trigger that is also bad. If it migrates in, it can cause the trigger not to depress, turning your 1911 into a paperweight until you unscrew it. Lock-tite it, stake it, or replace it.

-RD62

AMMOTECH
06-10-08, 16:22

:D

Sell it and buy a Glock or FN.

I think that most 1911 are like most AR's. Good basic firearm until people try to make them better.

Alpha Sierra
06-10-08, 18:09

Sell it and buy an Glock or FN M&P.

Fixed it for you.

AMMOTECH
06-10-08, 18:59
Fixed it for you.

It was not in need of being fixed....:rolleyes:

ToddG
06-10-08, 19:04
Let's not threadjack the threadjack. :cool:

Now back to problematic 1911 platform ...

AMMOTECH
06-10-08, 19:16
Let's not threadjack the threadjack. :cool:

Now back to problematic 1911 platform ...

I agree.

If the OP intends to keep his 1911, which I'm sure he does, then he needs to find a competent 1911 smith.
I'm also thinking that he should have left well enough alone and kept his stock Springfield trigger but that's his call to change it. However, it always seems that people have trouble with their firearms when they start jacking around with the important stuff. I'm sure his gun ran fine before his "smith" hacked it.

toddackerman
06-12-08, 22:52

A 1911 that is properly setup runs 100%. See the 10-8 forums for more education on the topic.

toddackerman
06-12-08, 22:55
I agree.

If the OP intends to keep his 1911, which I'm sure he does, then he needs to find a competent 1911 smith.
I'm also thinking that he should have left well enough alone and kept his stock Springfield trigger but that's his call to change it. However, it always seems that people have trouble with their firearms when they start jacking around with the important stuff. I'm sure his gun ran fine before his "smith" hacked it.

If you look at the over travel screw, you will notice that in the back side of it, it has 2 sides that can be gently squeezed together with a proper fitting pair of pliers so that the screw has more "Grip" on it when it is inserted. Be gentle and go slow.

Alaskapopo
06-13-08, 03:53

Sell it and buy a Glock or FN.

I think that most 1911 are like most AR's. Good basic firearm until people try to make them better.
Glocks are fine guns. But nothing beats a good 1911 I mean nothing.
Pat

HK45
06-14-08, 00:13
After two margarita's tonight that was especially funny, about blew the second one out my nose. :-)

HK45
06-14-08, 00:14
Oh boy...even longtime 1911 guys won't buy that one. Or especially long time 1911 guys.

A 1911 that is properly setup runs 100%. See the 10-8 forums for more education on the topic.

Alaskapopo
06-14-08, 02:12
Oh boy...even longtime 1911 guys won't buy that one. Or especially long time 1911 guys.

I am a long time 1911 fan and yes it will run 100% assuming it has good ammo and mags (like any other auto) provided you perform regular maintence on it.

My Wilson CQB has been more reliable than the HK USP in 45 I used to own. By regular maintance I mean replacing springs and giving it a good once over annually as well as lubing and cleaning it properly. Nothing says you have to baby it. I put over 2000 rounds through my Wilson before I carried it without cleaning it and I had no malfunctions. The ammo was a mix of factory JHP and ball as well as lead semi waddcutter reloads.
Pat

toddackerman
06-14-08, 07:50

I love it when someone else speaks for a complete factions beliefs I.e., "Long time 1911 guys". That's a really big group your referencing there.

Well Pal...I AM a long time 1911 guy for over 30 years. I was shooting IPSC here in Colorado back in 1979 at the AGC.

I have owned 7 of them, and they all ran/ run 100% after >100,000 combined rounds of 45 ACP down their pipes once they were set up correctly. One had over 30,000 rounds failure free before I sold it. I have a Commander that is 100% right now after 15,000 rounds, and a new Loaded that I overhauled that has just passed it's initial 1,000 rounds of reliability testing to be my new CCW.

What do I mean by set up correctly?

1. Ramp and Throat job
2. Lowered ejection port
3. Higher power recoil and mainspring
4. Higher visibility sights
5. Trigger job
6. Tunes Extractor
7. Tuned Ejector....and that's it.

For the record....How much PERSONAL experience do you have with the 1911?

UncleFudd
06-14-08, 09:22
Hey todd[SIZE="5"]ackerman etal;

I have been in the firearms business for 30 yrs this year and carrying the 1911s since 63 so as to personal experience it is 45 years this year since I bought my first Commander in a little gun shop in Salt Lake.
I do exactly as you said to every one of them and recommend it be done to every one that I sell. If done, there are no failures, period.
Do I shoot a lot, yes as many as 3 to 4 thousand rounds per week. I just built a lightweight commander in 9MM because at the time no one was yet offering a factory model that I liked. I began using and carrying it in 2001 and it already has in excess of 30,000 rounds and it does not fail.
I retired my lightweight commander in 45ACP in 2001 and I had replaced the first barrel at 90,00 rounds, it has had the barrel changed three times in all and it still does not fail. I did wear out the feed ramp and now have to use ramped barrels, but other than that it just keeps on shooting.

I was in business when the Glocks first began appearing and they have been great. But they will never replace the 1911 and it is interesting to see how many police departments are now going back to the 1911 for their officer carry.
All it took was for LA SWAT to go back to them and have some positive write-ups and now more and more are issuing and training with them.

As for 1911 v the rest their are two types of gun owners, those who have and shoot the 1911 and those who will. I realized a long time ago that the Glocks are an inexpensive filler until the individual can make up their mind which 1911 to own and to be able to afford it.
Once they finally reach this goal they never look back, but will always remember all those hollow feeling years they waited while building their war chest.

In the mean time for all of you still waiting and studying the catalogues, it won't be long, keep saving.

All in fun of course, my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek. Even if it is true.

UncleFudd
www.caswells.com

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-14-08, 09:27
I always thought of the Glock as and issue weapon and the 1911 as a personal weapon.

toddackerman
06-14-08, 09:51
I always thought of the Glock as and issue weapon and the 1911 as a personal weapon.

Which is a shame! I truly believe that you should carry the same weapon 24/7 to avoid the little errors when the SHTF...like forgetting to clear the safety etc.

Robb Jensen
06-14-08, 11:07
Too much thread drift going on here.

This isn't a debate as to whether a Glock or 1911 is a better carry or personal defensive pistol. The topic is about a problem with a 1911.

Please keep it on track, if you can't help or offer a solution please don't post.

jc75754
06-15-08, 21:21
I agree.

I found the smith and he refunded the cost of the job and offered to replace the trigger. I took the money called him some names and then took it to another smith, who reinstalled the original trigger and inspected the gun for any more damage that the incompetent smith might have caused for less money than the original guy.
lesson learned: Don't Screw With Your Gun If It Shoots Perfect Out Of The Box In the First Place. As for trading in one of the oldest reliable semi-auto pistols, I think I will just keep it. I also own a tactical .40 XD and Love it so I will probably buy a Glock 23 to conceal carry and add to the anti zombie disaster kit

thanks for all the help guys

AMMOTECH
06-16-08, 14:37
I found the smith and he refunded the cost of the job and offered to replace the trigger. I took the money called him some names and then took it to another smith, who reinstalled the original trigger and inspected the gun for any more damage that the incompetent smith might have caused for less money than the original guy.
lesson learned: Don't Screw With Your Gun If It Shoots Perfect Out Of The Box In the First Place. As for trading in one of the oldest reliable semi-auto pistols, I think I will just keep it. I also own a tactical .40 XD and Love it so I will probably buy a Glock 23 to conceal carry and add to the anti zombie disaster kit

thanks for all the help guys

Glad it worked out for you!

I'm all for keeping a handgun as factory stock as you can. The only thing I've ever done to a pistol was to add night sights and change the grips.
Clean/ lube, inspect and replace worn items as required.

I had a Kimber 1911 for 10 years; poor think set in the safe most of that time. When I first got the Kimber someone told me to add some parts, throat something, replace this with that and so on. Being stubborn like I'am I only change out the grips. Glad I did not listen to that person! Why mess with something that works. I sold the Kimber a few months ago.

My first handgun was a Glock 19 (still have it) and I currently carry a G30.

FN makes a fine pistol also but I've trained with a Glock for so long that it feels odd to shoot an other style. But because I work there I need to push the product some you know.

Alaskapopo
06-16-08, 14:54
Glad it worked out for you!

I'm all for keeping a handgun as factory stock as you can. The only thing I've ever done to a pistol was to add night sights and change the grips.
Clean/ lube, inspect and replace worn items as required.

I had a Kimber 1911 for 10 years; poor think set in the safe most of that time. When I first got the Kimber someone told me to add some parts, throat something, replace this with that and so on. Being stubborn like I'am I only change out the grips. Glad I did not listen to that person! Why mess with something that works. I sold the Kimber a few months ago.

My first handgun was a Glock 19 (still have it) and I currently carry a G30.

FN makes a fine pistol also but I've trained with a Glock for so long that it feels odd to shoot an other style. But because I work there I need to push the product some you know.

If all people shared your attitude on improving guns we would never have had any innovation. Yes some things don't work out and others do. If it were not for people modifying the 1911 it would not be near as good a gun as it is today.
Pat

AMMOTECH
06-16-08, 15:08
If all people shared your attitude on improving guns we would never have had any innovation. Yes some things don't work out and others do. If it were not for people modifying the 1911 it would not be near as good a gun as it is today.
Pat

In my perfect world a firearm should funtion 100% out of the box....:rolleyes:

Ok I know better but still you should not have to do another $500+ worth of work to make a basic (& very old) gun design work. :confused:

1911 guy's can dump their money into their pistol and I'll use mine for ammo.;)

AMMOTECH
06-16-08, 15:14
I
I have owned 7 of them, and they all ran/ run 100% after >100,000 combined rounds of 45 ACP down their pipes once they were set up correctly.

Once they were set up correctly.

Why do you need to do that? Why can't you buy it, clean it, shoot it? Why does it need to be set up first?

My Kimber ran fine out of the box. (500 +/- rnds) but I never had any issues with it.

Alaskapopo
06-16-08, 15:22
In my perfect world a firearm should funtion 100% out of the box....:rolleyes:

Ok I know better but still you should not have to do another $500+ worth of work to make a basic (& very old) gun design work. :confused:

1911 guy's can dump their money into their pistol and I'll use mine for ammo.;)

I am not saying it should not run perfectly. If you buy a quality 1911 from the start like a Wilson, Ed Brown or Nighthawk it will run perfectly. Also hate to tell you that not all Glocks run perfectly out of the box for that matter. All companies produce lemons from time to time.

There is no better combat pistol than the 1911. That is why they are chosen by the worlds most respected LEO and Military professionals like LAPD SWAT, FBI HRT, Marine Force Recon, DELTA ect.

Kimber used to make a nice pistol but quality has went down hill in the last few years. It has gotten so bad I can not recommend them.
Pat

AMMOTECH
06-16-08, 15:22
The important thing is that JC75754 got his pistol back up and running.

AMMOTECH
06-16-08, 15:33
I am not saying it should not run perfectly. If you buy a quality 1911 from the start like a Wilson, Ed Brown or Nighthawk it will run perfectly. Also hate to tell you that not all Glocks run perfectly out of the box for that matter. All companies produce lemons from time to time.

There is no better combat pistol than the 1911. That is why they are chosen by the worlds most respected LEO and Military professionals like LAPD SWAT, FBI HRT, Marine Force Recon, DELTA ect.

Kimber used to make a nice pistol but quality has went down hill in the last few years. It has gotten so bad I can not recommend them.
Pat

I agree with buying a brand name that works & the .45ACP is a great combat round. I just feel that basic stuff that makes the gun run should be left stock. Most folks have problems with thier gun when they get bad info from the erronet and some gun stores love to tell you all the stuff that you need to do to your gun to make it right. I think that is what happened to the OP. He had a part changed out that was not in need of being changed.

I know that all items that are manufactured and are mechanical in nature are subject to a few bad apples. Ford/Chevy, Glock/Kimber... they have good days and they have bad days.

Alaskapopo
06-16-08, 15:55
I agree with buying a brand name that works & the .45ACP is a great combat round. I just feel that basic stuff that makes the gun run should be left stock. Most folks have problems with thier gun when they get bad info from the erronet and some gun stores love to tell you all the stuff that you need to do to your gun to make it right. I think that is what happened to the OP. He had a part changed out that was not in need of being changed.

I know that all items that are manufactured and are mechanical in nature are subject to a few bad apples. Ford/Chevy, Glock/Kimber... they have good days and they have bad days.

I agree with you to a point. But I see no problem with having trigger jobs done, putting on extended safeties grip safeties ect. On competition guns the sky is the limit. A lot of good things on carry guns are the results of someone trying something new on a competition gun.
Pat

AMMOTECH
06-16-08, 16:00
I agree with you to a point. But I see no problem with having trigger jobs done, putting on extended safeties grip safeties ect. On competition guns the sky is the limit. A lot of good things on carry guns are the results of someone trying something new on a competition gun.
Pat

Ok I can agree with you on that.

Have a great day! :)

*and remember we are all here on M4C because we changed something on our AR's. :D