PDA

View Full Version : For those of you running a RDS ....

brothernov
07-02-14, 11:29
I'm struggling with which reticle MOA size to buy. I've narrowed the sight choice itself down to a Trijicon RMR adjustable, and cant decide between the 3.25 and 6.6 MOA.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the 3.25 moa dot vs. 6.5? Which do you guys run/prefer/recommend?

This will be on a pistol I'll use for pretty much everything from home defense to plinking to steel targets at longer distances, varmint hunting, etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

C4IGrant
07-02-14, 11:34
I'm struggling with which reticle MOA size to buy. I've narrowed the sight choice itself down to a Trijicon RMR adjustable, and cant decide between the 3.25 and 6.6 MOA.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the 3.25 moa dot vs. 6.5? Which do you guys run/prefer/recommend?

This will be on a pistol I'll use for pretty much everything from home defense to plinking to steel targets at longer distances, varmint hunting, etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I run the 3.25 because I commonly shoot at 50yds or greater. If you have a gun that cannot shoot any better than 4" at 25yds, then you probably won't be doing much accurate shooting past this distance.

We have both the RM06 and RM07 in stock and offer M4C member discounts on them if interested. ;)

C4

brothernov
07-02-14, 14:41
Thanks. Sent you a PM regarding pricing.

TehLlama
07-04-14, 02:51
I'm coming at this from VERY minimal experience, basically one afternoon, but the really easy to pick up ~7MOA dots aren't that helpful past 25yd, and for pistols that point reasonably well a set of decent irons with a good dot up front will do about as well for a lot less complexity. Grant is also on the money about accuracy being part of the equation, since some pistols are mechanically pretty inaccurate (compared to dot size through a reflex optic) beyond 25yd, which is also something to consider.

For a do-all setup that needs range, the taller (usually suppressor height) sights still visible through the smaller dot setups made more sense for me, and the smaller (and to my eye rounder dots - the 7MOA and triangular setups felt like they were in a different focal plane) actually ran really well at longer distance.

dougwg
07-04-14, 16:37
Aim small, miss small.
I use the 3.25 MOA