PDA

View Full Version : Railroad Sends Train To Attend Child's Funeral

platform389
06-07-08, 17:57
This will get to ya.http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif Be sure and click through the photo slide show at the link below.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_9459445?source=most_emailed

Two-year-old storm victim Nathaniel Prindle is laid to rest Monday.

Nathaniel Prindle would have loved seeing — and hearing — the choo-choo train at his funeral.

The 2-year-old, who died during the May 25 tornado in Hugo, was buried Monday in Washington County, just east of his hometown in a country graveyard his family chose because freight trains regularly chug past.

Canadian Pacific officials arranged to have two locomotives and a caboose waiting on the tracks south of the Withrow Cemetery in May Township.

When the graveside service concluded late Monday afternoon and dozens of orange and white helium balloons had been released, the bright-red train and brown caboose slowly rumbled past Nathaniel's grave.

The engineer gave Nathaniel a long train-whistle salute as the train headed east, out of sight.

It was a fitting farewell to the boy who loved choo-choo trains.

Nate, who would have turned 2 1/2 on June 9, drowned when the tornado lifted him and dropped him into a nearby pond. His parents, Gerard "Jerry" and Christina Prindle, and 4-year-old sister, Annika, were trapped in the rubble of their home.

Annika remained in critical condition Monday at Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare in St. Paul.

Jerry Prindle, who had surgery last week at Regions Hospital in St. Paul to repair a broken bone near his hip, was carried to his son's gravesite by members of the Hugo Fire Department. He used a wheelchair at the funeral at Eagle Brook Church in White Bear Lake.

There, Hugo firefighters saluted as pallbearers placed Nathaniel's small casket into the hearse and a bagpiper played "Amazing Grace."

Mementos and photos detailing Nathaniel's short life filled the church lobby. They were displayed on tables covered with Thomas the Tank Engine tablecloths.

There were dozens of snapshots of him as a baby: meeting his big sister for the first time at the hospital when he was born, playing in the bathtub, covered with food in his high chair.

In others, he models a special Christmas outfit, licks birthday-cake frosting from his fingers and sits in a small plastic bin.

Display boards explained that "Nate was a great doer of puzzles. At day care, he could put some together faster than his teachers."

He also was learning to say the names of shapes and colors; "wed suh'ko" meant red circle.

A remembrance card said Nathaniel — which means "gift from God" — loved the book "Goodnight Moon." "Nate loved to have 'Night Night Moon' read to him," the card said. "It is a fitting way to say farewell to Nate. 'Goodnight Nate-Nate."

A fuzzy brown teddy bear sat on one of the tables next to a heartbreaking sign.

"I am imposter Teddy," the sign said.

"Teddy is, of course, with Nate-Nate."

Alpha Sierra
06-07-08, 18:05
The Good Lord has welcomed another innocent soul into the Kingdom.

A child's suffering and fear are things that I cannot stand.

Alpha Sierra
06-07-08, 18:07
This is another one that broke my heart.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2008/06/04/ddn060408drowningweb.html

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/00/58/45/image_7145580.jpg

RIP little cutie pie. :(

M4arc
06-07-08, 18:47
Dang, I want to cry now....

Safetyhit
06-08-08, 21:37
What a horrendous story. Makes you want to do something, now, right before you realize there is not a damn thing you can do but be sad and give to charity.

Thanks to the folks who organized the train. God bless the boy and any others taken so swiftly and unexpectedly in the supposed safety of their homes by these tornados.

chadbag
06-10-08, 03:10
These things get me all teary-eyed.

At least these things were accidents. When I read about parents who kill their kids or otherwise kids come to harm on purpose it makes my blood boil. I have a 5 year old and a 4 month old and cannot understand people at all who harm kids.

Safetyhit
06-10-08, 08:43
I have a 5 year old and a 4 month old and cannot understand people at all who harm kids.

I am way, way, way with you on that one.

platform389
06-10-08, 14:45
When I read about parents who kill their kids or otherwise kids come to harm on purpose it makes my blood boil. I have a 5 year old and a 4 month old and cannot understand people at all who harm kids.

I can help your understanding, since the reason for this is simple and easily understood.

Sexual intercourse is treated as a recreational activity in this modern society. Since a child is a potential result of this "recreation", it is treated as an annoyance and/or unwanted burden. Mistreatment is a natural progression from such a mindset.

Of course, the ultimate expression of this is abortion. Better to "remove" this "unwanted consequence" than to have it "burden" your life.

...and if you think it is bad now, just keep watching!

Alpha Sierra
06-10-08, 14:56
Sexual intercourse is treated as a recreational activity in this modern society. Since a child is a potential result of this "recreation", it is treated as an annoyance and/or unwanted burden. Mistreatment is a natural progression from such a mindset.

Of course, the ultimate expression of this is abortion. Better to "remove" this "unwanted consequence" than to have it "burden" your life.

...and if you think it is bad now, just keep watching!
What he said.

Safetyhit
06-10-08, 16:37
I can help your understanding, since the reason for this is simple and easily understood.

Oh no it isn't.

My son was not planned, but I love him more than anything in this world. I have completely changed my life to accommodate him and make his childhood the best it can possibly be. Therefore, there is no simple standard here.

The only standard amongst people that hurt children is that they are selfish, evil scum.

Sorry to stray from topic, but I was very disturbed by the above statement and it's "simplicity".

Alpha Sierra
06-10-08, 18:05
The simple standard is psycopathy.

tuff
06-10-08, 19:01
Prayers for the family and friends....

When you see things like this , in truth all you can think of is your own children.

platform389
06-11-08, 07:43
Oh no it isn't.

My son was not planned, but I love him more than anything in this world. I have completely changed my life to accommodate him and make his childhood the best it can possibly be. Therefore, there is no simple standard here.

The only standard amongst people that hurt children is that they are selfish, evil scum.

Sorry to stray from topic, but I was very disturbed by the above statement and it's "simplicity".

Not quite the same situation. 95% of the abortions performed in this country are for birth control. That fact standing alone proves my argument. Your son's "unplanned" appearance is not the same thing as, for example, the concept of "hooking up" between two virtual strangers.

Recreational sexual activity without any consideration of the possible consequences are at the root of the mistreatment of children as is being discussed. Unplanned children within a stable environment aren't included within this group, for the most part.