PDA

View Full Version : Light Filters

kangy
07-04-14, 10:22
I know this has probably been discussed before. I've been doing some reading but most everything seems to be older.

Does anyone run a filter on there weapons light? I have a Surefire TLR-1s on my AK but it is BRIGHT in the house at night. Was thinking of putting a red filter cap on it but then saw they also have blue and green filters.

Pros/Cons for each one? What is the best general use filter NOT to be used with night vision.

BBossman
07-04-14, 10:38
Did you read this thread...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?151396-How-many-lumens-do-you-really-need-for-home-defense-When-is-it-too-bright

Its doesn't discuss filters, but does address brightness. What I took away was that its all about the reflector and how it distributes the light, i.e., light selection.

kangy
07-04-14, 10:46
Yes, read through that one. I have the Inforce WML on my AR that I programmed for low to high and the low is perfect for this purpose and I can always kick it up to the bright if I want. The TLR-1s on the AK (formerly on the XD45) is just 300 no negotiating. I love how it fits and feels on the AK and I have done a lot of practice with it to get down the muscle memory of activating the momentary on/off. Was thinking of putting a filter with a flip cap on it just to keep down the initial "shock" of the light coming on. Basically adding another option to it. If I want the blind the hell out of you feature I turn on the strobe. Would be nice to have a softer light for the times when you need to be a little more discrete but still see.

BBossman
07-04-14, 11:18
I'm pretty Low Speed High Drag, so take what I offer for what its worth. I have an Inforce WML-HSP on my AR, after reading that thread I started looking at how it distributed light and how I was using that light. Farting around in my house I found that when I used the main "beam" of light at eye level, if it hit bright objects or reflective objects it could be distracting. However, when I instead used the "spill" at eye level, if the main beam reflected any light it was all but unnoticeable. I hope that makes sense...

JohnnyC
07-04-14, 12:42
If you have a single output light and you need to reduce the output the best course of action will be to put a neutral density filter over the lens. Problem will be finding one in an appropriate form factor and ability to remove it quickly.

trinydex
07-08-14, 14:23
on this topic, does anyone have experience with ir filters? if they glow red? if they create a significant ir beam that's useful? is it better to do with a dedicated ir illuminator?

JohnnyC
07-08-14, 22:05
on this topic, does anyone have experience with ir filters? if they glow red? if they create a significant ir beam that's useful? is it better to do with a dedicated ir illuminator?

Depends on the light and the filter. They don't work very well with LED lights to begin with. And even with incandescents they're not great. In either case you're better off with a dedicated IR illuminator.

Kline11B
11-27-14, 00:55
I have used ir filters on the issue surefire weapons lights with pvs14s and they work great at moderate distance, like a spotlight for your nods.

HardToHandle
11-28-14, 15:27
I use scope flip up covers for dimming and to reduce the reflection to the front.
Unsure if that meets the OPs needs.