PDA

View Full Version : Stippled weapons and duty uniforms?

Mike169
07-06-14, 05:40
I'm absolutely smitten with the M&P 9 Pro Series at my local gun shop. With that said, I seem to recall issues with the RTS series from glock causing issues with fraying duty uniforms around the holster. Can anyone give their input regarding this issue?

Thanks!

mark5pt56
07-06-14, 05:57
Unless you are buying your own, the requisition is free! Everything rubs and wears, some more than others. Seriously, unless you are asking for new items every week, a street officer who works goes through clothing and gear and should be budgeted for and doesn't make the authorized signature's paycheck any smaller (I have a stamp!).

Mike169
07-06-14, 06:37
I am buying my own, and it's only a part time gig, so I like my uniforms to last as long as possible..

signal4l
07-06-14, 07:51
Buy the gun if you like it. You can always use some fine grit sandpaper to lessen the abrasiveness of the stippling.

ST911
07-06-14, 09:06
Sew a patch to the outside of the uniform shirt at the point it wears or frays. Use a piece of cloth from an old shirt, or one that's color/texture matched. Check it once in awhile, replace the patch as needed instead of the whole shirt.

Over the years, I've had to do this with assorted gear that wore holes at the belt line.

CoryCop25
07-06-14, 11:06
Fortunately for me, I don't pay for my uniforms.
I can't stipple my issued handgun but it's covered in grip tape.
Because we wear long sleeves half the year and short sleeves the other half, it takes a good 3 years to wear a hole in my shirts. My shirts wear on both sides as I have a handgun on the right and my AR mag on the left.
Depending on your climate and how often you work, you should replace your shirts frequently due to color fading.
Skintop has a great idea with the patches but that's a no go in my department.

Joe R.
07-06-14, 12:49
I have carried an RTF Glock 17 for years and have never had an issue with it wearing my uniforms.

CoryCop25
07-06-14, 14:09
I also wanted to add that I carry a low ride holster (6285) and that keeps most of the handle at belt level and less wear on the shirt.

Nightstalker865
07-06-14, 14:23
The factory Pro Series back straps aren't abrasive at all. They are a nice upgrade to the standard back straps but aren't nearly aggressive as the glock RTF finish or even most aftermarket stippling jobs I've felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike169
07-06-14, 14:59
Thanks all.. I think I might pull the trigger this week. Not that I can really afford it right now...

Beat Trash
07-06-14, 18:13
A lot of things on my gun belt causes wear on my uniform shirt. The stippled grip of my issued M&P9 is NOT one of them. The Safariland ALS duty holster keeps the grip of the gun far enough away from the shirt so that it's a non-issue.

Texaspoff
07-07-14, 10:10
They never bothered me or tore up my uniforms. My flashlight and mag pouch do more damage than the grip.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC_0064_zpsb78ee590.jpg

Big A
07-08-14, 08:52
They never bothered me or tore up my uniforms. My flashlight and mag pouch do more damage than the grip.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC_0064_zpsb78ee590.jpg

I am curious as to why you chose the G19 over the G17 as your duty weapon, thanks.

Nice looking stipple job/grip work too.