PDA

View Full Version : 308 trim length

bubba04
07-06-14, 07:38
What length are yall trimmer 308 too?

HKGuns
07-06-14, 07:54
2.80 is mag length if you're shooting an auto.

ETA: Helps is I answer the question that was asked I guess..... Trim to 2.005

bubba04
07-06-14, 07:59
I am. I was thinking trim towards 2.012 to conserve brass life. I just did a lot at 2.008 before thinking about brass life. Though not sure how much .005 actually matters in brass life.

TomD
07-06-14, 09:04
Get a Sinclair chamber length gauge, measure your chamber and trim accordingly or use the 'book' length previously posted.

markm
07-06-14, 09:10
I am. I was thinking trim towards 2.012 to conserve brass life. I just did a lot at 2.008 before thinking about brass life. Though not sure how much .005 actually matters in brass life.

Trimming doesn't change brass life. What do you mean. I probably run ours at about 2.012 +/-. Trimming is very low priority to me. I only knock down the really long ones. I've not found exact case lengths to yield any magnificent accuracy improvements.

Canonshooter
07-06-14, 09:34
Not to derail/hijack, but how are most of you resizing for 308 bolt guns, neck only or full length? I need to get back into reloading, did so for decades but sold my presses when we moved seven years ago.

FWIW, I always had the best luck with full length/small base dies, even in a bolt gun but that limited case life and required frequent trimming.

bubba04
07-06-14, 09:44
I am rather new to the rifle reloading game, especially for autos. I rather eat a turd sandwich than trim. Every time I use my Dillon trimmer it usually involves a machine vs man fight. based on my experiences I been kicking around giving the girard trimmer a try. Especially since he is 20 minutes from me.

Mark, I think you answered something for me as I was worried and wondering about case length effecting accuracy. So based on your post I assume sometimes you get away with multiple firings between trimmings, is that correct? I was thinking that the less you trim the less the case thins, however that is dumb since its the resize that does that.

I have mainly been a pistol reloader since there is significantly less case prep work. Anyway I can slim down the case prep is a huge win for me.

For bolt guns (30.06 & 300 Wby Mag) I just neck size.

Trimming doesn't change brass life. What do you mean. I probably run ours at about 2.012 +/-. Trimming is very low priority to me. I only knock down the really long ones. I've not found exact case lengths to yield any magnificent accuracy improvements.

markm
07-06-14, 13:16
I only trim 223 every time because I DO have the Giraud. For 300 WM... NEVER. For 308 I can go many firings. I keep the case gauge on the counter and check them as I run the Charge master. I'll trim maybe 5 or so out of 50.

Bimmer
07-06-14, 14:25
I rather eat a turd sandwich than trim. Every time I use my Dillon trimmer it usually involves a machine vs man fight. based on my experiences I been kicking around giving the girard trimmer a try...

Ugh. I have a Dillon trimmer, but I haven't set it up yet.

What's wrong with it?!

bubba04
07-06-14, 16:45
I wouldn't say anything is wrong with it, but after having used it I think I would prefer to size and trim on two different steps. Also don't be stingy with the lube or your brass will get hung up!

bubba04
07-06-14, 16:48
I only trim 223 every time because I DO have the Giraud. For 300 WM... NEVER. For 308 I can go many firings. I keep the case gauge on the counter and check them as I run the Charge master. I'll trim maybe 5 or so out of 50.

Thanks mark. Are you loading 308 for a semi or bolt gun?

markm
07-07-14, 08:26
Thanks mark. Are you loading 308 for a semi or bolt gun?

Bolt only now. Used to do it for an LMT too. The ONLY difference being the sizing die setting and powder charge. Bolt gun brass wouldn't chamber in an auto, and our bolt gun ammo is too hot for a gas gun.

bubba04
07-07-14, 16:45
Thanks.

Does any one see anything wrong with the shoulder of these?

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l357/jbg04/29ABDA95-E1B3-4296-A125-370F177E0EE9_zpsbpcrzr42.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/jbg04/media/29ABDA95-E1B3-4296-A125-370F177E0EE9_zpsbpcrzr42.jpg.html)

The bullet on the right is a factory new load. I checked them in case gauge and it appears good but I thought the shoulder looks a little different.

markm
07-07-14, 21:41
The ammo on the left looks more like what I get with my RCBS die, and then a Lee Collet neck die. The round on the right bothers me.

bubba04
07-07-14, 21:50
The ammo on the left looks more like what I get with my RCBS die, and then a Lee Collet neck die. The round on the right bothers me.

Badass. The round on the far right with the cannelure is Remington 147 gr core lock. The 4 longer bastards are the ones I loaded. So it sounds like the ones I reloaded look normalish.

markm
07-07-14, 21:52
Yep. Mine always have crisp necks. Not doughy like that factory load. They'll fire form to the chamber anyway, but a straighter neck will give more neck to bullet contact, which is good.

bubba04
07-07-14, 22:04
Yep. Mine always have crisp necks. Not doughy like that factory load. They'll fire form to the chamber anyway, but a straighter neck will give more neck to bullet contact, which is good.

Cool sure appreciate the help and advice. Now its time to find some cheap ass 175 and crank out more.

markm
07-08-14, 12:36
darr3229 had emailed me a link to some Mk118 LR pulled bullets that were in the $.22 each range. I forget what site was selling them though.

jl1288
07-15-14, 12:14
Good afternoon gentlemen.
I've been following this thread hoping for some tips and guidance on working up my 308 handloads. I'm just about done with an Armalite AR-10 I've pieced together with an Rainier arms 18'' bbl. and I also have a FNH PBR 308 caliber bolt gun.
@ Mark, so if I have brass measuring 2.02x to 2.03x you wouldn't trim yet? For either the bolt, or auto loader? I read somewhere in a previous post by you Mark that you suggest a load of 42grs of 4064, what about Varget? I've managed to find 8lbs of each so these will be the main powders I will use to work up using 150-175gr pills. Both SMK's and a mix of hunting bullets. I've had the bolt gun and am hoping I can find a load that will shoot well in both guns, and to keep things simple I plan to full length size all my 308 cases.

markm
07-15-14, 13:21
FINALLY someone wants to talk about loading/ammo!! ;)

I would work up your bolt and gas gun loads completely independently. Your bolt gun can take a MUCH warmer load than what will work reliably in your gas gun. I'd resist the temptation to find one common load. Our 175 gr BOLT load is 43.8 gr with a 210M Fed primer. WLR primers seem to give the same velocity and S.D. That gets me over 2600 fps out of a 20 inch bolt gun.

I'd start with 4064 for the gas gun, and run the Varget for the bolt gun. But likely, the reverse could yield a nice load in each gun too.

That brass length sounds long. 2.015" being spec, .015" over is probably a good reason for a trim. I forget my exact trim setting off the top of my head...

jl1288
07-15-14, 15:05
Thanks for the insight Mark, what are your thoughts and experience using CCI and Wolf LRP they are all I have at the moment. Also I am guessing for the bolt gun you only neck size after the brass is fire formed to a particular gun?

markm
07-15-14, 15:42
Hell no. I full length size EVERY damned case. I DO, however, set my die so the shoulder is only bumped enough to chamber a round. (my bolt gun ammo won't chamber in a gas gun)

I'm using a body die and then a neck collet die to do the necks on a separate operation.

As far as the primers, I run Federal GMM, I've not been able to get a sample of the WOLF to try. I want to, but the 210Ms work good.

jl1288
07-15-14, 19:04
Is the body die a purpose built die or did you remove the decapper/sizing stem?

markm
07-15-14, 19:14
Is the body die a purpose built die or did you remove the decapper/sizing stem?

Purpose built so that it doesn't work the neck. Decap is its own step... before cleaning. Then the clean brass is body sized, and finally the neck.

For .308 I actually have a Bushing die that I run without any neck bushing.... it's effectively a body die. I had to go through the foolishness of bushings before I came to a good method.

jl1288
07-15-14, 20:47
Again thanks Mark for the insight, looks like I've got some shopping to do. I'll work up each gun separate.

bubba04
07-17-14, 19:32
Again thanks Mark for the insight, looks like I've got some shopping to do. I'll work up each gun separate.

Are yall using the expander when you resize? I am having absolute hell with mine.

markm
07-17-14, 20:06
Are yall using the expander when you resize? I am having absolute hell with mine.

Hell no!!! Expander balls wreck brass. If you're loading .308 specifically and looking for accurate ammo, you'll really need to get a whole different die set up. I tried running a standard sizing die without the expander, and then using the neck expander die separate (like I do for 223). It didn't work.

The best way to do .308, in my opinion... is to use a body die and a lee collet neck sizer.

bubba04
07-17-14, 20:11
Hell no!!! Expander balls wreck brass. If you're loading .308 specifically and looking for accurate ammo, you'll really need to get a whole different die set up. I tried running a standard sizing die without the expander, and then using the neck expander die separate (like I do for 223). It didn't work.

The best way to do .308, in my opinion... is to use a body die and a lee collet neck sizer.

Thanks. Fing expander makes me want to murder something so that's great news.

Ok so you full length size followed by neck sizing if I read that correctly. And yes sir I am reloading for 308. Most of my dies are lee, but you like the lee offering based on the price/value?