PDA

View Full Version : Any Thoughts on Removing Krylon?

Tokarev
07-06-14, 15:56
I recently picked up a used Surefire M73 railed handguard that has been camo painted with what I'm assuming is Krylon matte paint. I'd like to get the paint off without stripping the Surefire marking or numbered reference points and without damaging the anodizing.

Anyone have any pointers? TIA!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/07/edebuby4.jpg

Quiet-Matt
07-06-14, 16:06
Mostenbockers lift off or brake cleaner and some elbow grease

Tokarev
07-06-14, 16:07
I tried some carb cleaner and my wife's tooth brush. No dice.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

a1fabweld
07-06-14, 16:09
Get a gallon of solvent like acetone, carb cleaner, brake parts cleaner and soak it in there for a day or two. It will positively not damage the anodizing. I once soaked a set of high end shaft rockers for my race engine in berrymans carb cleaner for a week. They came out spotless and the anodized finish was perfect.

Iraqgunz
07-06-14, 16:23
Walmart sells Citristrip. Its non hazardous and works pretty good.

nimdabew
07-06-14, 16:58
I used brakeclean when I cared. It will lift some stuff off with a quick blast and 5 seconds of sitting. Other stuff like krylon on porous anodizing will take some time. If you can soak, let it soak. Don't do it on plastic parts because some of them will melt.

Outlander Systems
07-06-14, 17:56
Dunk it in rubbing alcohol.

Tokarev
07-06-14, 18:03
No Citristrip @ the local Wal-Mart so I'll try acetone.

SilverBullet432
07-06-14, 20:02
oven cleaner, not sure if it damages though.

AKDoug
07-07-14, 00:27
Oven cleaner eats the **** out of anodizing. DO NOT USE IT ON ALUMINUM PARTS !!

JohnnyC
07-07-14, 02:48
You can try some Kleen-Strip Aircraft Paint Remover. I used some that's in a can on a 10/22 receiver, put it in the AZ sun for about 20 minutes and the factory paint came off like you wouldn't believe.

JW5219
07-07-14, 07:00
Walmart sells Citristrip. Its non hazardous and works pretty good.

+1 on this!

Tokarev
07-07-14, 07:54
The parts have been soaking in acetone all night. As of this morning, the paint looks the same as it did prior to any soaking. I will leave them soaking until this afternoon.

SteyrAUG
07-07-14, 13:30
I don't think acetone is gonna budge anything. And probably anything that will remove the krylon will strip off everything else as well. Probably will end up with a bare rail system that you will need to refinish and detail the markings.

JW5219
07-07-14, 14:30
No Citristrip @ the local Wal-Mart so I'll try acetone.

Lowes and Home Depot sell it as well.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-07-14, 15:04
In a related note, I see that Rustoleum has a new product out that is strippable. Kind of a rubbery coating that can be peeled off. Meant to help personalize your car, I guess for the weekend or something. Dress up your steel rims.... Don't know if it comes in the right colors, and I doubt it is very heat stable, at least for barrels. If it is on car rims, it must have some stability.

Tokarev
07-07-14, 15:08
Lowes and Home Depot sell it as well.

I'll see if the acetone has had any effect when I get home tonight. If the paint looks the same I'll try to get some actual paint stripper tomorrow.

tb-av
07-07-14, 16:51
I don't think you will save the white lettering no matter what.

You might try MEK - Methyl Ethyl Ketone

Outlander Systems
07-07-14, 19:43
I'll see if the acetone has had any effect when I get home tonight. If the paint looks the same I'll try to get some actual paint stripper tomorrow.

The acetone won't magically wash it away.

Now that it has soaked, hit it with a nylon brush, and rub it off with an acetone soaked old rag or t-shirt.

Acetone will do the trick.

Peshawar
07-07-14, 20:44
It may be Gun Kote (or something similar like Moly resin). If so, acetone won't take it off. It'll have to be blasted off, which may harm the anodizing if not done very carefully. If the acetone isn't knocking the paint loose, then that'd be my guess. If that's the case getting it Gun Koted again may be the best way forward.

TXBK
07-07-14, 21:55
Are you certain that it is rattle-can paint. All of the rattle-can that I have removed came off very easily with brake cleaner and a rag, with a nylon brush used in the cracks and crevices. You may have to have it coated, or just rattle-can paint it whatever color you want it to be, but you will lose the white surefire markings and numbered reference points that you are trying to keep.

nimdabew
07-07-14, 22:58
Soak it in simple green too. That works.

eodinert
07-08-14, 02:40
I recently removed paint from a rattle-canned free float rail by soaking it in acetone. Some of the paint loosened almost immediately, some took a while. A tooth brush was used to good effect to remove 99% of the paint after soaking for a few hours. The white slot markings were undamaged by the acetone.

I suspect you may not be dealing with rattle can paint.