PDA

View Full Version : regular guy: chest rig vs. belt rig vs "slick"??

readyme
07-06-14, 18:31
I am not LE/MIL, just a responsible citizen. I have an AR and pistol, and I am wondering what is the "best" way for me to support those systems.
When I gear up I would like to carry 2 AR mags, 2 Glock 19 mags and IFAK.
I currently have a "battle belt" setup but I don't like it for one reason....I conceal my Glock everyday + a mag pouch, so if I want to put this kit on I have to take my daily carry stuff off before putting on the belt.
I have considered the Haley D3 chest rig...while it covers all my bases, it seems to be overkill.
Lastly I am considering simply adding an AR pouch to my belt, and putting the extra AR mag and Glock mag in my back pockets. While not "cool guy", I think it is more of a realistic "regular guy" setup... that gives me 3 mags for each weapon.
The issue with this is; how do I add my IFAK to my setup? I guess I could look at bandoleer or sling options.
Please let me know what you think or what you have tried.
Thanks

GotAmmo
07-06-14, 19:12
What is your Ultimate Goal?? Is this Home Defense or SHTF or ???

Adding plates down the line?? Are you trying to serve multiple systems that you own??

Most are going to ask these questions before recommending anything

GotAmmo
07-06-14, 19:14
Here's a starting point

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?95834-Plate-Carrier-vs-Chest-Rig

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?116919-Chest-Rig-or-Battle-Belt

@Failure2Stop makes a good point with this doozy

You can wear pretty much any chest rig that I am awawre of over armor.
However, I am a "less is more" kind of guy.
If I am going to be putting something on, it might as well serve as many functions of gear as possible:
Stop holes, plug holes, create holes.
Stick a few mags and a bleeder kit on a plate carrier and you get all three.

lunchbox
07-06-14, 20:52
Maybe a mini chest rig? I run the Tactical Taylor mini-mav, setup very simple-3 AR mags and bleeder/blowout kit. Can fold in half and stick in my EDC backpack, if so inclined. I run pistol mags on belt and have 1 AR mag in kydex holder in pack for quick attach to wilderness FF belt. Tried to keep as close to setup I run in classes, the only real diference is pistol is concealed in EDC setup (and AR mags/mini-mav are in EDC backpack if zombie/liberals attack) and OWB at class.

readyme
07-07-14, 00:02
What is your Ultimate Goal?? Is this Home Defense or SHTF or ???

Adding plates down the line?? Are you trying to serve multiple systems that you own??

Most are going to ask these questions before recommending anything

--- This is mostly a SHTF and training setup. In a home defense situation, I just don't see taking the time to put on any kit.
--- I am likely not going to add plates (cost being a major issue). It only needs to serve an AR and Glock.

The more I think about it, I like the idea of being able to go very low profile by simply adding an AR mag to my everyday carry setup, when needed. Then if needed, I can add a low profile chest rig to supplement it and add an IFAK.

glocktogo
07-07-14, 00:18
I know a lot of people make fun of the "tactical" fishing vests, but they really do come into their own for something like this. I have a Woolrich Elite Tactical vest I never wear, but it hangs on a heavy wooden hangar in my closet. It's completely unobtrusive hanging there and you wouldn't have any idea that it's a mini bug-out kit, ready to toss on at a moment's notice. I can zip it up over my slick plate carrier and semi-conceal the armor as well. It has a whopping 24 pockets on it. It carries a really good IFAK, tourniquet, four AR mags, three Glock mags, compact spare pistol (G-26 in my case), Leatherman Tool, fixed blade knife (ESSE-4), zip-ties, water, emergency rations, fire kit, emergency blanket, para-cord, chem-lights, Rite in The Rain pad & pen, Sharpie, etc., you get the gist of it.

For the price of some battle belts or chest rigs, you could buy two and have one for the car and one for home. One could be set up as minimalist and the other loaded up for "anything goes". Just be sure to buy them a size larger than you'd normally wear. That way you have room underneath for extra clothes or gear, plus they get a bit snug if you stuff them like a chipmunk's cheeks. :)

Obviously these are not going to hold up to years of use and abuse like a top-shelf cordura rig, but then again you said you weren't going to be working out of it on a daily basis. They'll last long enough for your basic needs and possibly more.

http://www.qmuniforms.com/photos/styles/qm/zoom/S48-446.jpg

fourXfour
07-07-14, 01:22
An HSGI molle thigh rig might be good option. Easy on and won't interfere with your CCW setup. You can mount an IFAK and two AR mags pretty easily.

quino171
07-07-14, 08:20
An HSGI molle thigh rig might be good option. Easy on and won't interfere with your CCW setup. You can mount an IFAK and two AR mags pretty easily.

I have the AO chest rig from HSGI. I like it because it has exactly what you have described. I have modified it though. The typical "bundle" they offer is a bleeder pouch, and three double-decker ar/pistol taco setup. I have the bleeder pouch, two double-decker taco pouches, the last one I have the double ar taco and halve added HSGI's shotgun set. The idea being the last taco can hold 6 shotty rounds on the outside and one of the two ar slots can be for shotgun or ar mags. Shooter's preference; this works for me. I can have this system in the car with my ar pistol in a discreet bag in case. That way it does not interfere with my EDC set up...... which is a joke but works for me.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

HardToHandle
07-07-14, 21:54
Lastly I am considering simply adding an AR pouch to my belt, and putting the extra AR mag and Glock mag in my back pockets. While not "cool guy", I think it is more of a realistic "regular guy" setup... that gives me 3 mags for each weapon.
The issue with this is; how do I add my IFAK to my setup? I guess I could look at bandoleer or sling options.
Please let me know what you think or what you have tried.
Thanks

Dude - a well reasoned post is a great find. Thanks!

Your analysis is spot-on for the downsides of various options. And the advice offered so far is all valid. With yours MENS of low-profile SHTF and training setup, you have some well thought out concepts based on my experience.

I like your back-pocket tactical concept. I've anticipated multiple scenarios where being all geared up is not likely, advised or even possible. When I've tried it, some positions are difficult to access mags, but in prone the back pocket is very accessible, whereas chest rigs are not. Adding a MOLLE or Bladetech-type clip-on AR pouch on your day-to-day belt is very viable. I ran a carbine class that way and was better than par in mag change speed/smoothness compared to my more equipped brethren. Even weak-side hands readily find the belt line and generally can access a mag.

Why the IFAK? What capabilities do you need? Carrying medical supplies is likely something better suited to a separate man bag or really hardcore guys carry a TQ in an ankle holster. I've got as lot of medical gear, but carry only the minimum for training and doubt I'd carry much more in a crisis situation. Definitive care is the answer to most gun shot wounds and that isn't likely in the field.

Add a flashlight if you don't already every-day carry one.

readyme
07-08-14, 00:14
Dude - a well reasoned post is a great find. Thanks!

Your analysis is spot-on for the downsides of various options. And the advice offered so far is all valid. With yours MENS of low-profile SHTF and training setup, you have some well thought out concepts based on my experience.

I like your back-pocket tactical concept. I've anticipated multiple scenarios where being all geared up is not likely, advised or even possible. When I've tried it, some positions are difficult to access mags, but in prone the back pocket is very accessible, whereas chest rigs are not. Adding a MOLLE or Bladetech-type clip-on AR pouch on your day-to-day belt is very viable. I ran a carbine class that way and was better than par in mag change speed/smoothness compared to my more equipped brethren. Even weak-side hands readily find the belt line and generally can access a mag.

Why the IFAK? What capabilities do you need? Carrying medical supplies is likely something better suited to a separate man bag or really hardcore guys carry a TQ in an ankle holster. I've got as lot of medical gear, but carry only the minimum for training and doubt I'd carry much more in a crisis situation. Definitive care is the answer to most gun shot wounds and that isn't likely in the field.

Add a flashlight if you don't already every-day carry one.

Thanks man.
I want an IFAK because I am a fireman/EMT, and I simply think it is important. I know how to use the gear, and anybody that knows me well will look to me for aid if the need arises.
It is nothing major:
TQ and shears on the outside
Olaes bandage
NPA
QuickClot sport
Z pack dressing

In a real SHTF scenario, it will probably be the first thing to get dumped...minus a TQ.

TXBK
07-08-14, 00:39
In a real SHTF scenario, it will probably be the first thing to get dumped...minus a TQ.

I'm not sure that I understand why you would lose your IFAK first thing, especially if it were a real SHTF scenario?

readyme
07-08-14, 01:16
I'm not sure that I understand why you would lose your IFAK first thing, especially if it were a real SHTF scenario?

Now that I sit and think about it I probably wouldn't drop anything, because whatever you have is all the gear you will get.

But here is why I said it:
In a SHTF scenario, any major trauma will likely kill you...if not through blood loss, than through infection.
An IFAK doesn't really fix anything, it buys you time to get to an ER. I assume in an SHTF that there will be no ER.
Granted, all of this is mental gymnastics and role play to some extent.

TXBK
07-08-14, 01:41
In the event of major trauma, your chances aren't great, even with a well-equipped MD by your side. Minor trauma such as cuts or scrapes can be just as dangerous, which is why I think that retaining that IFAK is important. So, to me, the TQ would be the least important item in the kit. Blisters can even shut you down if not properly cared for. Allergic reactions to insect bites can kill some people without one simple pill. I think that it is more important to be prepared for minor incidents than major trauma such as arterial bleeding.

docsherm
07-08-14, 12:25
I would go with a small chest rig. The HSGI one is a good deal. Why? Because it is easy. By this all you have to do is throw it on and you are good. Don't mess with belts and other things that you have to change up your normal items to accommodate.

As for the IFAK...keep it, especially in a SHTF situation. I can tell you that in that event not all medical people are going to drop off the Earth at the same time. Also I have seen some people that have been injured very badly and recovered with nothing but home care in some third world holes....not ever back to 100% but still good enough to get back onto the "game".

quino171
07-08-14, 12:36
I would go with a small chest rig. The HSGI one is a good deal. Why? Because it is easy. By this all you have to do is throw it on and you are good. Don't mess with belts and other things that you have to change up your normal items to accommodate.

As for the IFAK...keep it, especially in a SHTF situation. I can tell you that in that event not all medical people are going to drop off the Earth at the same time. Also I have seen some people that have been injured very badly and recovered with nothing but home care in some third world holes....not ever back to 100% but still good enough to get back onto the "game".

+1. Again, the AO Chest Rig bundle is pretty good and is what I run.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

docsherm
07-08-14, 12:39
You also might look at the OSOE Micro rig. Great kit.

http://www.originalsoegear.com/products/akm4-micro-rig

bruin
07-08-14, 12:58
Check out the new BFG Micro Rack. Add a double rifle mag pouch, pistol mag pouch, blowout kit, and you're good to go.

frequent flyer
07-08-14, 17:12
docsherm is spot on! the OSOE Micro is easy to grab and go. You could keep it stashed in a backpack or other shoulder bag and use when needed to support your AR/Medical needs.
How are you planning on carrying your rifle? Stowed in a vehicle? If so, store the Micro along with it.
You can also easily carry small Celox/TK-4 TQ in a small pouch on your belt (BFG Boo Boo pouch).

Spiffums
07-08-14, 18:39
Something keeps me thinking about Raven Concealment's The Sonny Rig. Seems like it would be ideal to conceal under a jacket or something where as a battle belt or chest rig would stand out.

sparkman
07-08-14, 19:52
Yep, Docs right on...I like my Blue Force TenSpeed chest rig,..extra AR/pistol mags, TQ and Izzy bandage/shears..
Plus I can throw it over my Mayflower LoPro (slick) with or w/o plates..
Loaded you can roll it up & stash in a 'go' bag or whatever...

readyme
07-08-14, 19:53
In the event of major trauma, your chances aren't great, even with a well-equipped MD by your side. Minor trauma such as cuts or scrapes can be just as dangerous, which is why I think that retaining that IFAK is important. So, to me, the TQ would be the least important item in the kit. Blisters can even shut you down if not properly cared for. Allergic reactions to insect bites can kill some people without one simple pill. I think that it is more important to be prepared for minor incidents than major trauma such as arterial bleeding.

I agree, great info. I would differentiate between an IFAK (immediate life threats) and a boo boo kit (non life threatening). I prefer to carry an IFAK on my person when I carry a gun (make holes, patch holes) but I always have a boo boo kit nearby.

Great info, thanks.

You also might look at the OSOE Micro rig. Great kit.

http://www.originalsoegear.com/products/akm4-micro-rig

That is a good looking rig, but I think the Haley D3 suits my needs better, and can be found for about $25 more or so.

GotAmmo
07-08-14, 21:29
Well as for shtf. Could find this in a local mil surplus.

sorry bout the crappy pic.

Basic issued FLC ... 6x AR Mags, 3x Pistol, IFAK and other added junk. gunna switch one pouch for a canteen pouch so I'll have water solved
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotAmmo
07-08-14, 21:33
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/09/7unu5y5y.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
07-08-14, 21:43
BFG Micro Rack is an option as well.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/BFGMOLLEminus_zps69d9d995.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/AKS-74/media/BFGMOLLEminus_zps69d9d995.jpg.html)

http://www.blueforcegear.com/micro-rack.html?utm_campaign=July%204%20Specials%202&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=image

docsherm
07-08-14, 22:32
I can say, no kidding, I have had at least 50 chest rigs over the last 10 years. No kidding. Best thing to do is get one, try it out, and go with it or sell it on the EE. That is what it is for. It is better to loose a buck or so than be stuck with a rig that you are not happy with.

Another great rig is the ATS one:
http://www.optactical.com/atslowprchri.html

That one gives you a little flexibility on your set up, yet it is still compact.

Moose-Knuckle
07-09-14, 15:07
I can say, no kidding, I have had at least 50 chest rigs over the last 10 years. No kidding. Best thing to do is get one, try it out, and go with it or sell it on the EE. That is what it is for. It is better to loose a buck or so than be stuck with a rig that you are not happy with.

Doc, do you have experiance with Mayflower rigs and the Eagle/SKD Paul Howe designed rig?

And if I may, out of all the rigs that you have run which one have you settled on as your go to kit?

Thanks!

docsherm
07-09-14, 15:39
Doc, do you have experiance with Mayflower rigs and the Eagle/SKD Paul Howe designed rig?

And if I may, out of all the rigs that you have run which one have you settled on as your go to kit?

Thanks!

I have used both. I like the Mayflower rig very bunch. I use it a lot in Afghanistan and other places. The Eagle rig is good as long as you get the SKD one with the PALS on each side. Of the two I feel that the Mayflower rig is the most versatile because of the pouch layout and optional bungy rords for the radio pouches.

Right now I have a few:

BFG 10 Speed (old style with 6 mag pouches) as my low viz rig.

Beez Combat chest rig as my intermediate rig/ SPR set up. Seen here:
http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/AK74-Chest-Rig-BCS-CR-AK74.htm

I have a custom made "RACK" as my heavy rig. Has the ability to carry 12 mags, large IFAK, Water, and support gear for a full day.

Mayflower UW Gen V split front. I use this as my truck rig/ bug out rig. Has everything I need and nothing I don't.

The most used would be the Mayflower and the Beez.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

docsherm
07-09-14, 15:41
I will try to post some pics of each later and do a better description and explanation of use.

markm
07-09-14, 15:47
I will try to post some pics of each later and do a better description and explanation of use.

That would be fresh, Yo. I have a 12 mag rig, but it's O.G. deuce gear with H suspenders. I'd be interested in how others 12 mag it.

Moose-Knuckle
07-09-14, 18:32
I have used both. I like the Mayflower rig very bunch. I use it a lot in Afghanistan and other places. The Eagle rig is good as long as you get the SKD one with the PALS on each side. Of the two I feel that the Mayflower rig is the most versatile because of the pouch layout and optional bungy rords for the radio pouches.

Right now I have a few:

BFG 10 Speed (old style with 6 mag pouches) as my low viz rig.

Beez Combat chest rig as my intermediate rig/ SPR set up. Seen here:
http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/AK74-Chest-Rig-BCS-CR-AK74.htm

I have a custom made "RACK" as my heavy rig. Has the ability to carry 12 mags, large IFAK, Water, and support gear for a full day.

Mayflower UW Gen V split front. I use this as my truck rig/ bug out rig. Has everything I need and nothing I don't.

The most used would be the Mayflower and the Beez.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Good to know, thanks for the info. I picked up a Mayflower UW Gen IV for a song during a black friday sale. Haven't even taken it out of the plastic yet, still in the footlocker just couldn't pass up 50% off.

Currently my go to rigs are the Eagle/SKD PIG UCR rigs with PALs, I've since given them all the H-harness, bib, and upgrade strap treatment. For the money IMHO they are hard to beat. Just recently they did go up to $99, they had been $89 for years.

Edit to add: I'm glad you speak highly of Beez, I have had my on on their Shihan dedicated AK rig for some time. Just looking for the right excuse to pull the trigger on one.

Sweet, looking forward to it.

Kain
07-09-14, 18:41
On the SKD front they just released/released their all molle chest rig manufactured by Eagle. I have an older model and quite like it over the UCR(Had the Eagle with the radio pouches though they did fit an ATS medical insert just right and I did shove a 40 rounder in the other one for the hell of it at the time) the newer all molle UCR has the upgraded straps of the new PIG UCR and I do think they offer a better option. The all molle version is $69 I believe, and a good option for someone wanting an affordable base rig with options towards set up.

docsherm
07-09-14, 22:01
Edit to add: I'm glad you speak highly of Beez, I have had my on on their Shihan dedicated AK rig for some time. Just looking for the right excuse to pull the trigger on one.
Sweet, looking forward to it.

I have to add that Beez Tactical not only makes a very high quality of gear, they are great to deal with. I have used one of his low viz carriers since 2007, it is in great condition even with a 7.62x39 hole in the front. the armor and plates have been replaced several times but the carrier still ROCKS!!!!

docsherm
07-09-14, 22:07
To the OP or anyone else interested:

Sorry to get a bit off topic. If you have any questions about chest rigs and what you need feel fear to PM me or just ask. I can fill an entire sub-forum on what I have learned about them in the last 10 years because I was on the crazy quest for the "Perfect Rig". :blink:

TXBK
07-09-14, 22:26
it is in great condition even with a 7.62x39 hole in the front.

Would you care to explain to the class what that 7.62 hole is all about?

Exiledviking
07-09-14, 22:28

Indeed. Also, docsherm, how are the plate carriers by Beez Combat Systems?

docsherm
07-10-14, 08:57

It is from a very antisocial member of the counter culture in Afghanistan....... He was very rude and will never make that mistake again. :nono:

Plate was replaced and that is it. Great kit. Ad for their plsfr carriers, I do not know. I have never used one. But I will say that the quality of all of the products is top notch.

markm
07-10-14, 09:13
I have to add that Beez Tactical not only makes a very high quality of gear, they are great to deal with.

I picked up a BEEZ NIJ carrier that's built really well. holds much larger soft panels than most of the sandwich/Smore carriers with just front/back coverage.

Moose-Knuckle
07-11-14, 01:08
I have to add that Beez Tactical not only makes a very high quality of gear, they are great to deal with. I have used one of his low viz carriers since 2007, it is in great condition even with a 7.62x39 hole in the front. the armor and plates have been replaced several times but the carrier still ROCKS!!!!

It is from a very antisocial member of the counter culture in Afghanistan....... He was very rude and will never make that mistake again. :nono:

Plate was replaced and that is it. Great kit. Ad for their plsfr carriers, I do not know. I have never used one. But I will say that the quality of all of the products is top notch.

Thanks doc, you're a wealth of knowledge! Glad to hear your plate worked!

07-11-14, 10:00
To the OP or anyone else interested:

Sorry to get a bit off topic. If you have any questions about chest rigs and what you need feel fear to PM me or just ask. I can fill an entire sub-forum on what I have learned about them in the last 10 years because I was on the crazy quest for the "Perfect Rig". :blink:

Docsherm, would you be willing to put together some kind of chest rig primer.

Anatomy of chest rigs and the terminology used.
Maybe something that talks about the pros/cons of various features found on chest rigs.
Things to consider for a minimalist chest rig all the way up to completely geared up for war.

Somthing along those lines may be beneficial to those of use that are considering building a chest rig and are not to sure in what direction to go or features to consider.

Thanks

loganp0916
07-11-14, 11:10
^^^ +1 I'm in this exact position right now

docsherm
07-11-14, 14:07
Docsherm, would you be willing to put together some kind of chest rig primer.

Anatomy of chest rigs and the terminology used.
Maybe something that talks about the pros/cons of various features found on chest rigs.
Things to consider for a minimalist chest rig all the way up to completely geared up for war.

Somthing along those lines may be beneficial to those of use that are considering building a chest rig and are not to sure in what direction to go or features to consider.

Thanks

I could do that. I will work up something this weekend and post it.

I will cover the different fetures and such. Kind of like chest rig 101, intro to chest rigs......;)

ptmccain
07-11-14, 17:41
For what it is worth, from a civilian who has taken a lot of training classes: Tactical Carbine 1, 2, 3, handgun 1, 2, 3, small unit tactics, CQB, force on force, escape and evasion, well in excess of 50 classes and pushing upwards to 1,000 hours, I've settled on a belt system as my "go to" gear. Here are my reasons.

I find it much more comfortable and easy to carry what I need on a belt system. I carry three "taco" pouches that are the double tacos, three 30 round mags, three pistol mags, a medic blow-out pouch, and two larger pouches with more med gear in one, one with various tools, lube, etc. along with a knife and my holster for my handgun. I wear it with a harness system and have found it to be incredibly comfortable for long training weekends in all weather conditions.

I'm a big guy, yes, a bit overweight, but around 6'3, 260 pounds, not terribly tubby but I've got a fairly large upper body and the belt rig I run is just perfect for me. I use a very stiff sturdy belt system with a PVC interior on it that really makes the battle belt I'm running stiff and secure.

It is all extremely comfortable, much more so than a chest rig which I find, when full loaded, carrying my Carbine with optics and such. When I was running a check rig I found it was tough on my shoulders and made going prone quickly and getting back up quickly more of a chore and quite uncomfortable and even unstable.

I find that I am able to do reloads a lot faster with the belt system than a chest rig.

When I want to carry more ammo on me, I put on my light weight chest rig that holds five more carbine mags and two more pistol mags.

I like how the weight rides on my hips and is supported by the harness.

FWIW, as always, YMMV.

I spent a lot of time trying out different systems and listening to our professional Tier 1 former spec ops guys and they all prefer a belt system, unless they want to and need to wear body armor.

docsherm
07-11-14, 21:33
".I conceal my Glock everyday + a mag pouch, so if I want to put this kit on I have to take my daily carry stuff off before putting on the belt."

That is why he needs a chest rig. If you have the option to be able to walk around in a battle belt all day that is great......if you are working low viz and need a quick back up a chest rig is the way to go. I have spent a great deal of time in semi-permissive environments and I conceal my Glock 26 and mags on my belt and have a chest rig an "long gun" hidden ready to go. Of course that is in a semi-permissive environment, if I lived in Detroit or someplace as dangerous I would drive an MATV and call it a day....:jester:

07-11-14, 22:01
I could do that. I will work up something this weekend and post it.

I will cover the different fetures and such. Kind of like chest rig 101, intro to chest rigs......;)

Thanks!

shrewd yasu
07-13-14, 18:18
I'm late to the party, but clearly Doc is a fount of useful information.

Originally I'd say for your purposes, based on what you say, some kydex pouches on your belt would be good. Some quick attach such as the new Haley/gcode models that clip on quick and can add pistol pouches.

My own personal preference is a battle belt. I have a brokos with a cobra inner belt that I love. I've changed it around a good bit but right now it's got 2 pistol, one or two rifle if I stack me, dump pouch (awesome to have for misc shit, osoe tear off med, and pistol. It has everything I'd need and I can grab it and clip it on right away.

Of course, I happen to have an SOE micro rig (which I was gifted....though I'm a gear queer and had been eyeing a d3 rig). It's great, nifty, and fun. With it (courses and such) I run only one rifle mag on the belt, toss the rig on and it's good to go.

RMiller
07-13-14, 21:23
Carrying a CC makes a chest rig, man bag, or some sort of clip on belt subload load (think raven concealment) the best options.

Myself, in any situation would rather appear non threatening, and blend in.

For when I do take my "truck gun" with me, it's in a discreet bag. There's usually only a couple loaded mags and a simple bleeder kit in there. If I ever had to use it I'd stuff one mag in the gun, the other in a pocket along with the bleeder kit in the other and drive on.

readyme
07-13-14, 21:42
Carrying a CC makes a chest rig, man bag, or some sort of clip on belt subload load (think raven concealment) the best options.

Myself, in any situation would rather appear non threatening, and blend in.

For when I do take my "truck gun" with me, it's in a discreet bag. There's usually only a couple loaded mags and a simple bleeder kit in there. If I ever had to use it I'd stuff one mag in the gun, the other in a pocket along with the bleeder kit in the other and drive on.

I am thinking right along the same line as you. I have clip on belt mounted mag pouches (pistol and rifle) from PerSec Systems kydex.
The one thing that never gets mentioned when talking about staying "low profile" is the fact that you will be carrying a rifle (presumably).
I suppose I should start another thread...but what is a good option for a discreet rifle bag?
I have a Bucketboss contractor bag that I really like for my range bag, but it is just not long enough for my rifle unless it is broken down. The bag is tough and very inconspicuous.
The "discreet" bags made for guns simply scream "GUN" in my opinion (they are all ballistic nylon for starters)...somebody needs to make one out of cotton canvas or some other material.

Moose-Knuckle
07-13-14, 23:51
I am thinking right along the same line as you. I have clip on belt mounted mag pouches (pistol and rifle) from PerSec Systems kydex.
The one thing that never gets mentioned when talking about staying "low profile" is the fact that you will be carrying a rifle (presumably).
I suppose I should start another thread...but what is a good option for a discreet rifle bag?
I have a Bucketboss contractor bag that I really like for my range bag, but it is just not long enough for my rifle unless it is broken down. The bag is tough and very inconspicuous.
The "discreet" bags made for guns simply scream "GUN" in my opinion (they are all ballistic nylon for starters)...somebody needs to make one out of cotton canvas or some other material.

No need to start a new thread about discreet bags.

Just type in "discreet bag" in the search tool, there are at least four main threads on the matter, good luck.

RMiller
07-14-14, 09:58
I honestly use a condor 26 transporter bag. It'll fit a broken down AR or a side/under folder AK. It is a perfect fit fit my Arsenal SLR106FR. Even though the avid gun owner would know it "could be" a gun case, the average person doesn't think a thing of it. I've tested it on family, friends, etc. Most didn't even give it a second look. Maybe because I live a few blocks from work and it's not uncommon to see me hoofing it with a pack/bag on between home and work. So when they see the bag in my back seat, or hanging up at home they don't give it a thought. It's just a plain black bag, and unlike a case designed to look like a tennis racket case or skateboard bag, it doesn't spark a conversation you can't complete. Like "what kinda board ya got?", or "you play tennis? I didn't know that!?" Etc.

But yes, moose knuckle is right. There are a lot of threads on discreet cases, tactical man bags, etc.

Myself, after being through chest rigs, plate carries, vests, man bags, etc am at what I came up with above. Have a bag my rifle add a few support items fit in, sling it over my shoulder, into my back seat or trunk, my neighbors or passer byers aren't any wiser, and it's a convenient thing to grab if I ever need it.

shrewd yasu
07-14-14, 20:02
The new HSP incog rifle bag looks pretty neat

GotAmmo
07-14-14, 20:45
I have 3 of the Larue Coverts. I like em in regards to storage and transportation, I may look into the HSP bag but im still on the fence as I don't carry a "trunk gun"

The 1 con to the Larue is having to break the rifle down.

MorphCross
07-15-14, 08:14
I have 3 of the Larue Coverts. I like em in regards to storage and transportation, I may look into the HSP bag but im still on the fence as I don't carry a "trunk gun"

The 1 con to the Larue is having to break the rifle down.

I have one Larue Covert and yes, dis-assembly is a must for standard barrel length carbines. It is pretty much just a nice discreet rifle case for carry to the range. Sneaky Bags and 5.11 are the only ones to offer a more metropolitan carry for a standard barrel carbine fully assembled. As soon as you go to folding stock rifles, bull pups, and SBRs a whole new world of true covert options open up. Tactical Tailor has one, Eberlestock has one, and First Spear/Noveske has one. All three are great options, but for the money between the TT and the Eberlestock I would go with the Eberlestock every time. Between the TT and the Noveske/FS I would go with the Noveske/FS. The nice thing about these options is they give you plenty of interior mounting space for spare mags, cleaning equipment, and such.

markm
07-15-14, 08:44
Weren't we talking chest rigs, and not fag bags? :no:

docsherm
07-15-14, 10:07
I have not forgotten about my chest rig 101. It is coming. It is longer than I thought. So far it is three pages on a Word document and I am not finished.

markm
07-15-14, 10:25
You cant rush scripture. :cool:

cbx
07-15-14, 14:26
Great topic. I'm in the same situation. Regular guy, looking for what the best approach is for me.

And I'm realizing that I have zero experience or knowledge on the subject.

I'm thinking to cover all situations, I'd need a few different set ups.

Setup #1 would be something that clips on the waist band or belt for just regular range-hunting?

#2 chest rig or battle belt?

#3 full plate armor kit.

#4 combo of the three?

After seeing some of the video footage that came out of Ukraine and Syria, I think some valid consideration should be given to the worst case scenario.
While very very unlikely, but not impossible.

Docsherm, and others thank you so much for you input.

slybarman
07-15-14, 15:01
I have not forgotten about my chest rig 101. It is coming. It is longer than I thought. So far it is three pages on a Word document and I am not finished.
Subscribed. Looking forward to reading it.

07-15-14, 18:53

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Looking forward to it.

RMiller
07-15-14, 19:54
What's that? Art of the tactical man bag?

Or are we on chest rigs again?

You cant rush scripture. :cool:

RMiller
07-15-14, 19:58
We appreciate the effort and knowledge.

docsherm
07-15-14, 20:55
Chest rig 101 posted in new thread.....That is now a sticky

readyme
07-15-14, 22:24
Thanks Doc. Again, I appreciate your insight.

docsherm
07-15-14, 22:31
Any time. I am still going to write something up about the battle belt vs chest rig question. I have both and wear both, but in different situations. I will post that here because it looks like there is a lot of confusion between the two and applications of both.

readyme
07-16-14, 00:29
With all the info and insight I have gained with this thread and others, I have decided on some gear.

As just a "regular dude", here is where I stand (this week anyway):

1st line- EDC--- Glock 19, extra mag in kydex belt pouch
1.5 line- BCM AR15, AR kydex belt pouch, IFAK for the back pocket (and another AR mag can do in the other back pocket)
2nd line- add a compact dedicated chest rig with X straps (yes Doc, I did read your other thread)...probably a Haley D3cr.
3rd line- discreet duffel bag with additional magazines for Glock and AR, plus camping/survival gear...my "get home" bag.

docsherm
07-16-14, 08:31
With all the info and insight I have gained with this thread and others, I have decided on some gear.

As just a "regular dude", here is where I stand (this week anyway):

1st line- EDC--- Glock 19, extra mag in kydex belt pouch
1.5 line- BCM AR15, AR kydex belt pouch, IFAK for the back pocket (and another AR mag can do in the other back pocket)
2nd line- add a compact dedicated chest rig with X straps (yes Doc, I did read your other thread)...probably a Haley D3cr.
3rd line- discreet duffel bag with additional magazines for Glock and AR, plus camping/survival gear...my "get home" bag.

Sounds good. Only thing I would say is to make sure that you practice getting your M4 mag from your 1.5 line out of the mag pouch with your shirt untucked like you would be when carrining your CCW. You do not want to have to do something like stop and tuck your shirt in when you slap on the extra mag. That is the main reason I go for the low profile chest rig in a CCW situation that could escalate.

Good thought process. Keep working on it and you should have a very nice low pro kit.