PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant/Bar/Hotel Disaster/Rescue type TV shows...

Belmont31R
07-07-14, 01:04
Anyone else watch these? We're addicted over here to these types of shows. Gordon Ramsey is awesome. The hotel shows are downright scary.

You can actually learn a lot from these guys just watching them point out defects.

But one question I poised to my wife; does this make you less hesitant to trust a small business? If you're on a business trip does the unknown of a small business turn you off? Or are corporate hotels and restaurants more appealing because they're consistent?

What about rewards or comps?

Honu
07-07-14, 01:27
Remember hidden camera show on Sheraton not cleaning properly sloppy rip off maids etc sadly hired cheap illegal or legal help is crap these days and that is what makes it bad
Small well run hotels almost seem nicer like small bed breakfast kinda places etc..

Moose-Knuckle
07-07-14, 01:50
We always travel with our own pillows and sheets. I also bring along latex gloves and Clorox disinfecting wipes, I hit everything from the toilet seat to the TV remote.

:bad:

Honu
07-07-14, 05:56
why we camp :)

J-Dub
07-07-14, 06:37
Unreality fake tv? Nope.

I do watch Seinfeld though, better acting and its funny.

BoringGuy45
07-07-14, 09:25
In shows like Mystery Diners or Restaurant Stakeout, it's pretty obvious that it's a reenactment of events as the camera angles are too perfect and the quality of audio would be nearly impossible unless the waitstaff were wearing microphones. However, as anyone who has ever worked in the hospitality business knows, most, if not all of the things on those shows happen and happen very often. I have no reason to believe that the reenactments are not based very closely on what was really observed. I do know that the public firings and public shaming are BS; nobody wants to risk the lawsuits that would go along with that. At any rate, I admit that these shows are a guilty pleasure of mine.

SteveS
07-07-14, 10:05
I avoid TV it just makes people stupid.

Airhasz
07-07-14, 10:50
I prefer not to know what goes on or I would be a hermit.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-07-14, 14:46
In Denver they did "The Old Neighborhood" and Panetelone's Pizza. TON was a favorite of my wife's family and I always hated it. The fixed us from ever having to go there again....

The Panetelon's Pizza was interesting. I was driving by coming home from the range after playing hooky from work and stopped by for lunch. Kind of weird to see people from TV in real life. An OK pizza, nice decor. I didn't try anything else.

I noticed that a few years ago they always made it a thing, especially on "Resturaunt Impossible" to show how dirty the kitchens were. They seem to have gotten away from that. You can forgive a wattery pasta dish- rotting, fetid grease is something people can't get out of their heads.

I try to eat in places where I can see the kitchen....

markm
07-07-14, 14:53
We always travel with our own pillows and sheets. I also bring along latex gloves and Clorox disinfecting wipes, I hit everything from the toilet seat to the TV remote.

You can get meds for this I'd guess.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-07-14, 15:00
It's not hard to understand the bed bug problem in hotels now that they have all switched to the environmentally friendly policy of not actually washing the sheets everynight. It's for the environment--- BS, you cheap bastards.

We were travelling and my wife drank out of one of the hotel room glasses before I could stop her. She is a COMPLETE germa-phobe and the look I gave her almost made her cry. I didn't kiss her on the mouth for a week to see if she lived or got a weird rash.

montanadave
07-07-14, 15:21
You can get meds for this I'd guess.

The difficulty is in the lag time required for titrating the dose to a therapeutic level.

markm
07-07-14, 15:23
I didn't kiss her on the mouth for a week to see if she lived or got a weird rash.

Another cuckoo? Shoot. I stay illness free by readily exposing myself to whatever the environment has to offer. (within reason)

Airhasz
07-07-14, 16:05

:bad:

Maybe look into one of those CSI luminol kits just to make sure.:p

montanadave
07-07-14, 17:51
Maybe look into one of those CSI luminol kits just to make sure.:p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4YrnYNDbrI

Outlander Systems
07-07-14, 19:46
It's not hard to understand the bed bug problem in hotels now that they have all switched to the environmentally friendly policy of not actually washing the sheets everynight. It's for the environment--- BS, you cheap bastards.

We were travelling and my wife drank out of one of the hotel room glasses before I could stop her. She is a COMPLETE germa-phobe and the look I gave her almost made her cry. I didn't kiss her on the mouth for a week to see if she lived or got a weird rash.

She definitely wouldn't like my hotel condom story, or the roach in the hair dryer story either.

I've stayed in some shitholes that had me wanting a tetanus shot and a bleach bath.

Averageman
07-07-14, 19:59
I travel for work a lot, usually we get decent rooms and service at Sheraton, Marriot, Carlson. Occasionally you'll get a Lemon, but rarely, if we do, all it takes is a call and we change hotels.
When it comes to food, I'm a bit of a snob and having worked in the Food Industry while going to college, I can usually walk in order a drink and decide in 5 minutes what the Kitchen must look like.
I was recently surprised while visiting Fredrickberg Tx and stayed in a no name hotel while taking a wine tour. Nothing like finding a Travel Size "Oil of NoLay" tucked under the headboard while unplugging your cell phone charger.

TehLlama
07-07-14, 21:19
Gordon Ramsey is pretty awesome, and it's rather eye-opening just how much people will put close friends and relatives into the emotional and/or financial shitter just because they don't want to behave like functioning adults. It's great when he calls them out on it, but at some level there's a reason people are partial to food that are either visibly cooked, or prepared in such a way to showcase freshness. I just assume that I'll never be the dirtiest person to occupy a hotel room in the same way, it is what it is.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-07-14, 21:49
Gordon Ramsey is pretty awesome, and it's rather eye-opening just how much people will put close friends and relatives into the emotional and/or financial shitter just because they don't want to behave like functioning adults. It's great when he calls them out on it, but at some level there's a reason people are partial to food that are either visibly cooked, or prepared in such a way to showcase freshness. I just assume that I'll never be the dirtiest person to occupy a hotel room in the same way, it is what it is.

It's kind of that guy Ceaser who fixes 'dog' problems. Dog and restaurant 'problems' are really just people problems.