PDA

View Full Version : Removing pinned flash suppressors?

nplunger
06-08-08, 13:24
I am going to buy a Noveske hear real soon and I don't want to use a surefire or AAC suppressor. So I plan on putting the Gemtech G5 QD flash hider on the barrel instead. My question is how easy would it be for me to remove the stock suppressor and replace it with the Gemtech one?

pics for reference
http://www.gem-tech.com/Images/G5.jpg

ADC
06-08-08, 16:20
If your current flase hider is pined on, it could be as easy as drilling out the pin(just the pin) or could be as involved as removing the barrel and maching the flash hider off with a lathe. I have also cut the pin out with a milling maching, it can be tricky work not to damage the barrel threads........................AD

John Fettes
06-08-08, 16:22
If you are buying it directly from Noveske, why not ask them if they will build it with your Gemtech G5 QD flash hider.

Is this a SBR made non-NFA by the addition of a x # inches flash hider?

When you say "pinned" do you mean by a pin that can be driven out, or do you mean it has been brazed in place?

John

nplunger
06-09-08, 13:18
If you are buying it directly from Noveske, why not ask them if they will build it with your Gemtech G5 QD flash hider.

Is this a SBR made non-NFA by the addition of a x # inches flash hider?

When you say "pinned" do you mean by a pin that can be driven out, or do you mean it has been brazed in place?

John

With the flash suppressor the barrel is 16.1 inches i found this article for reference. I'll try getting Noveske to put it on in the beginning it will make things easier in the long run. The link has a great photo and explains it better. Thanks for the help guys

www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67

John Fettes
06-09-08, 13:52
My concern was that you'd wind up with an NFA item after you took the original FH off; sounds like that's the case if you do it yourself.

Good luck,

John

markm
06-09-08, 14:44
My concern was that you'd wind up with an NFA item after you took the original FH off; sounds like that's the case if you do it yourself.

I don't think it'd be a problem if he was working on a disassembled weapon. As long as the new mount was permed before putting the gun back together, he'd be fine.

NoBody
06-09-08, 17:01
I don't think it'd be a problem if he was working on a disassembled weapon. As long as the new mount was permed before putting the gun back together, he'd be fine.

I'm pretty sure BATF doesn't differentiate between disassembled and assembled weapons. If all the parts are located together (i.e., under the same roof) then you better be in compliance with the NFA.

jets4321
06-09-08, 17:36

I agree.

ARin
06-09-08, 17:48
I agree.

keep the lower in the safe,

keep the upper at the workbench in the garage, with the tools being used to de-perm, re-perm the muzzle device. i would imagine that this shows reasonable evidence that you are in the process of working on the rifle to become ATF compliant.

dont dilly dally, get it off, get the new one on and get it welded.

NoBody
06-09-08, 18:30
You'll be playing with fire and the BATF doesn't like to play around. He'd be better advised to call his local BATF office and ask them instead of a bunch of internet sea-lawyers. Also, try to either get the answer in writing or get the name of the person at BATF giving the answer.

nplunger
06-09-08, 20:00
I'll be honest with you guys I couldn't give a you know what about it being legal if it's in my home. The BATF arn't comming into my home anytime soon. I just wanted to skip the step of have to mess with changing flash suppressors. Thanks for looking out though.

jets4321
06-10-08, 19:49
I'll be honest with you guys I couldn't give a you know what about it being legal if it's in my home. The BATF arn't comming into my home anytime soon. I just wanted to skip the step of have to mess with changing flash suppressors. Thanks for looking out though.

I have to agree with arin, take it off and put one on at the same time with the lower somewhere else hell leave it at a friends house for the weekend if your that paranoid. Or like said above just have John at noveske do it. Best of luck

gishooter
06-10-08, 21:14
Good idea, I know you don't care but you can not have any lower near that short barrel, I was told if I move from FL to AL (no shorty's there) is was a safety deposit box or sell as I have several AR's

REM
06-10-08, 22:38
If you have not taken possession of the rifle, I would call them and have them install it. I recently purchased a VTAC upper receiver from Noveske. I wanted a Surefire FH556-212 instead of the normal Phantom that is offered. A quick call to Noveske and all was taken care of. I sent the flashhider I had already bought and they installed it when they completed the upper.

markm
06-11-08, 08:44
I have to agree with arin, take it off and put one on at the same time with the lower somewhere else hell leave it at a friends house for the weekend if your that paranoid. Or like said above just have John at noveske do it. Best of luck

Exactly. There has to be a shred of common sense when dealing with this stuff!

Here's what you do! Register the gun as and SBR. Then you can change the mounts. After that send a letter to ATF requesting that the weapon be removed from the NFA registry since it's no longer an SBR!

Believe me! That 200 dollars on the tax stamp is better than 10 years in club fed with bubba (or whatever the internut patrolmen always say over on TOS). :p

gishooter
06-11-08, 12:56
removed, changed

markm
06-11-08, 13:22
(The Other Site)... AR15 dot something or other... :cool:

gishooter
06-11-08, 23:58
removed, changed