PDA

View Full Version : The first and the last of the new 9mm AUG's

STG77
07-08-14, 19:18
Some drama: 385 sixth generation 9mm kits were imported by Steyr for the AUG on approved Form 6's this year.
ATF and Steyr's lawyers had a legal dispute over recently denied Form 6's - identical to earlier approved Form 6's within a few months time.
Two weeks ago ATF issued a final ruling that the 9mm kits can not be imported any longer and no more Form 6's will be approved.

At issue was the Austrian made barrel.

Anyhow, a while back there was some chatter about the 6th gen kits being expensive at $1300 (which they are), but prior to these 385 kits coming into the country, USED 5th gen kits were selling for $3000+.
Anyone can guess what a 6th gen kit will bring down the road...

If you want one or think you may want one, consider this is a big heads up: get one now while you can or pay the price in the future.

I would recommend Pete at PJS-steyraug.com, being that he is the most knowledgeable person in the US on the AUG and has been in the AUG business for over 30 years.

halmbarte
07-08-14, 19:32
I've got one of the kits and they are pretty nice. Very well made and among the most reliable of 9mmP conversions I've seen.

Mine works with all the JHPs (+P) I've tried, will not feed Federal EFMJ (the huge meplat hangs and the cartridge stubs), and has been pretty reliable with my normal match ammo S&B FMJ, although I've been getting about one FTFe per 100-150 rounds.

If you've got a AUG and ever thought about getting a 9mmP conversion, I'd jump now.

H

SteyrAUG
07-08-14, 21:47
I am so sick of ATF and their stupid barrel ban.

Heavy Metal
07-08-14, 22:00
Why don't they just domestically source the barrel?

halmbarte
07-09-14, 02:11
Why don't they just domestically source the barrel?

I've heard that Steyr checked into it and the barrels would be prohibitively expensive.

CHF barrels are only reasonably expensive if you make lots and lots of them.

H