PDA

View Full Version : Loose AK brake. Leave it or tighten it?

jhs1969
07-09-14, 20:20
Like many '74 type muzzle brakes, mine has the typical looseness. It would probably only take a minimal amount of sanding to get it to turn another 1/4 inch to tighten it. Should I, or just leave it?

Moose-Knuckle
07-09-14, 20:43
I would not sand the threads on your muzzle . . . ever. Not sure if that is what you are suggesting.

If the wobble bothers you, I'd try some Teflon tape on the threads to take out the play.

lunchbox
07-09-14, 20:46
Shim it up.

jhs1969
07-09-14, 20:54
I would not sand the threads on your muzzle . . . ever. Not sure if that is what you are suggesting.

If the wobble bothers you, I'd try some Teflon tape on the threads to take out the play.

No, lol. I meant sand the brake so that it would tight up another 1/4 turn on the sight housing threads. Hope that makes more sense.

Aries144
07-10-14, 00:35
ghjkl

interfan
07-10-14, 01:46
The brake should be a little loose. Soviet-bloc training doctrine was to remove it to clean it and the barrel. The East German '74 cleaning kit includes a multi-tool for cleaning the brake. If you want it to wobble less, use a little copper anti-seize paste on the threads and that should be enough to cut down on the looseness. The copper paste will still allow removal and is enough to tighten it up. This is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-508-Anti-Seize-Compound/dp/B00CPL8S8I and it works great for the brake and also for installing barrels.

Otherwise, shoot more. Eventually the carbon will lock up the brake.

mark5pt56
07-10-14, 06:44
When I had some AK's, (7.62) one had a bit of wobble in the brake. I made a new detent from a AR trigger/hammer pin. That tightened it up, less play within the housing and slot in the brake. You'll need a few minutes with a file or dremel to cut the retaining flat into it and then to length. I don't know if the 74 has the same set up.

themonk
07-10-14, 08:03
The brake should be a little loose. Soviet-bloc training doctrine was to remove it to clean it and the barrel. The East German '74 cleaning kit includes a multi-tool for cleaning the brake. If you want it to wobble less, use a little copper anti-seize paste on the threads and that should be enough to cut down on the looseness. The copper paste will still allow removal and is enough to tighten it up. This is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-508-Anti-Seize-Compound/dp/B00CPL8S8I and it works great for the brake and also for installing barrels.

Otherwise, shoot more. Eventually the carbon will lock up the brake.

Interfan is spot on. They are made to be loose because the quickly get carbon buildup like a suppressor and can become very difficult to get off. When that happens you need three hands to hold the rifle, use a strap wrench and push in the detent. Shooting it more and not removing all the carbon will tighten it up.

Aries144
07-11-14, 01:36
ghjkl

RMiller
07-11-14, 08:28
Leave it loose, it's supposed to be.

Andrewsky
07-13-14, 16:35
!!!

Be careful. There are lots of threads on various forums on the net where people have had to deal with stuck brakes. They are loose at first but will get stuck on if you don't clean the fouling off of them well enough. If one gets stuck on it's gunsmith time.

ROTAM
09-14-14, 11:54
Leave it loose, it's supposed to be.

This.

BBossman
09-14-14, 12:55
Shoot some surplus corrosive through it and let it sit a week, it'll be plenty tight.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

BOOSTjunkie
09-15-14, 00:01
my bulgarian 74 has wobble in it as well... never had any problems leave it be