PDA

View Full Version : Lightest NIJ IV system

m1a convert
07-10-14, 08:05
What is either the lightest LVL 4 stand alone or in conjunction system currently available? Cost is not a factor.

markm
07-10-14, 08:40
There's some cat selling a pair of NIJ IV super light plates in the EE. They're mediums if that helps at all.

CoryCop25
07-10-14, 10:22
I'm not an expert on hard armor but I have a set from Dimondback Tactical and they are nice….. but pricey.

TehLlama
07-10-14, 12:10
I suspect it's the Safariland ProTec plates in the minimal surface area cut - the .75" thick flavor. That said, in terms of practical effectiveness, pretty much any good soft armor (probably HDPE based) and a very thin Lvl4 plate is probably better.

krisjon
07-10-14, 14:43
I'd say Velocity BZs are pretty damn light and $$$.

superr.stu
07-10-14, 17:17
Money no option I'd vote Velocity BZs.

http://store.appalachiantraining.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VS-PBZ-LG

m1a convert
07-10-14, 22:52
Those aren't lvl iv though

krisjon
07-10-14, 23:15
Those aren't lvl iv though

BZs more than meet the Level IV spec by taking two hits of AP, instead of one. They simply don't have the "official" NIJ cert.

m1a convert
07-10-14, 23:40
and that is in conjunction with soft armor, correct? How do they take 2 AP rounds and not meet NIJ?

krisjon
07-11-14, 00:09
and that is in conjunction with soft armor, correct? How do they take 2 AP rounds and not meet NIJ?

Yes, those are ICW plates. NIJ cert means they meet a specific standard of testing. It's the recognized standard, but it is also a minimum standard. While not NIJ tested, the BZs were developed as a special lightweight threat plate and tested to withstand 2 AP incendiary rounds - pretty impressive and well beyond most threats anyone would face INCONUS. They're pretty much the cat's meow right now for plates, but like any gear, that's always up for debate.

Defaultmp3
07-11-14, 09:01

I would also like to point out that just because a plate is Level IV NIJ, does not mean it meets Level III NIJ. Nor are the various SAPI/eSAPI rated plates generally NIJ rated. There's also the issue that various Level III NIJ certified plates do not defeat M855.

And, of course, the question arises of why exactly do you need these plates? If it's truly cost no object, and this is for something where low-viz is not a priority, perhaps you could consider Tyr Tactical's X-Frame platforms or Crye's StKSS to negate any weight issues.

While not NIJ tested, the BZs were developed as a special lightweight threat plate and tested to withstand 2 AP incendiary rounds - pretty impressive and well beyond most threats anyone would face INCONUS.

The Velocity Systems website does not seem to say how the BZs fair against .30-06 M2 AP, though, which isn't that uncommon while CONUS. I know it's not as penetrating as M995 or M993, but I'm not sure how that stacks up against the 7.62x39mm AP.

Jim D
07-11-14, 16:55
Paraclete introduced a new plate this year that is NIJ.06 SA III and SA IV (dual certified), but it's 7.1lbs in the 10x12" shooters cut size. I don't see too many lightweight SA IV plates out there... lots of III and III+ options in the 2.4-5lb range, but level IV isn't easy to get light.

krisjon
07-11-14, 17:16
My new Level IV SA Lightweight, Multi-Curve Shooter Cuts from Bulletproofme are 6.7lbs each and $220/plate. That's a good value in my book. And if you see the video where they tested their Level 4s a couple of years ago, it's damn impressive with all the multiple hits of different rounds they stopped.

Adam_s
07-11-14, 21:27
As with all armor, ask yourself what threats you are facing before jumping in. What you see/face CONUS is going to be a different critter than OCONUS.

Next up:
-What will you be doing in this armor?
And as a corollary to that:
-Do your job requirements state it needs to be NIJ Level IV?

Are you LEO, and you're going to be rolling up on high risk warrants against gangs/gang affiliated groups that are likely using just as good of hardware as you?
Are you a contractor working overseas?
Are you in a position where you need the protection of armor, but being, "made," as wearing it would result in catastrophic consequences?
Did you just win the lottery, and want the most ultra-Gucci armor system out there?

For each, your qualifications may vary some.

You specified light-is lightness the be all, end all of your search? There may be armor plates that weigh a touch more, but are thinner than something else out there. It's been my experience that most shooters would rather have a little more weight in exchange for a thinner armor system. Thin means that you're able to shoulder a rifle more naturally as opposed to having it an inch or so away from your shoulder.

One thing to remember is that the various "levels" of armor are not iterative. That is, a Level IV plate may not offer any better protection from Level III threats.
Here's the official NIJ book on armor testing, certification, and the like for NIJ .06
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/223054.pdf

Further, for a plate to have the NIJ Certification for a specific level , it has to be tested using that exact methodology, and ONLY that methodology. There are rounds out there now that don't fall into this spec. You could be wearing a Level IV plate, but 7.62x39 BZ-API or M855A1 zip right through it. Why? Because Level IV doesn't specify you need to cover against those rounds. Level IV only says you need to protect against a very specific, "armor piercing," round.

One more detail-if you want to get technical about it, SAPI/E-SAPI plates are not NIJ certified either.

Personally, I would feel very comfortable in using an independently certified, "special threat," armor plates.

I've got my eye on a few systems that are still in testing that may be very interesting, but there is no definitive answer as to when these will be released. Further, there are a few systems that I've got my eye on that will protect you against threats that you'll commonly see CONUS, but not the more esoteric stuff-BUT the trade there is they are far less money.

With cost being no object, here are my personal suggestions for several armor systems currently available on market that would provide more than adequate protection to threats very likely to be encountered both CONUS and OCONUS.

Velocity Systems VS-PBZ: This is the plate that many people hold up as the prime example of a light/thin Special Threat Armor.
ICW
Thickness: 0.5"
Weight (SAPI Med): 3.9lbs
MSRP Price: $950/per

Tencate Cratus 6400SA: This particular plate is just now showing up on the market. It's rated to protect against the same threats as the VelSys plate.
Stand Alone
Thickness: 0.55"
Weight (SAPI Med): 4.1lbs
MSRP Price: $1400/Plate

If both are too rich for your blood, let me know what parameters you are willing to compromise on, and I can make better recommendations specific to that. Weight, thickness, threat level...but there are no free lunches I'm afraid.

m1a convert
07-14-14, 07:09
I am a LEO in a rural area. The threats we face include all the standard carbines in 5.56, 7.62X39 etc and also hunting rifles. I need it to stop intermediate cartridges but am also worried about .300 win mag etc. I don't know if there is a light stand alone lvl III that goes to level IV when you go in conjunction. I am okay if it is a little thicker as long as it is light as there are times it may be worn for a long time or we may have to walk a longer distance with it on.

Appalachian
07-14-14, 09:55
What is either the lightest LVL 4 stand alone or in conjunction system currently available? Cost is not a factor.

Midwest Armor recently released the FM4, 5.5lb IV stand alone. They are not Level IV certified however they more than meet the requirement. Midwest developed these plates to meet ESAPI specifications, however they surprisingly achieved Level IV standards during the testing process.

Adam_s
07-14-14, 21:30
If Appalachian says something is good, take it to the bank. I've done business with him before, and have no qualms about recommending him, or his knowledge.

That being said, .300 win mag is a serious round. No matter how advanced the armor, you can't beat physics. You're looking at a round moving 2800-3300fps weighing in at 165+ grains. To my knowledge there isn't any armor standard that encompasses that in their testing. I'm sure you could perhaps draw some extrapolations based on commonly tested rounds, but you'd not have firm data. LvlIV, with the .30-06 M2AP round, is about as close as you get, but even that isn't really analogous.

Anything rated to the ESAPI standard will likely be your best bet, as those are supposed to stop at LEAST one hit of M2AP, and a second hit 60% of the time (IIRC). Of course, those aren't that light weight.

What size plate are you needing?

Defaultmp3
07-14-14, 22:21
That being said, .300 win mag is a serious round. No matter how advanced the armor, you can't beat physics. You're looking at a round moving 2800-3300fps weighing in at 165+ grains. To my knowledge there isn't any armor standard that encompasses that in their testing. I'm sure you could perhaps draw some extrapolations based on commonly tested rounds, but you'd not have firm data. LvlIV, with the .30-06 M2AP round, is about as close as you get, but even that isn't really analogous.

Just as a data point, according to a reputable source, back in 2011, an LE agency tested the AMI TAC3S plates against a .338 LM 250 gr. load fired from a 26" barrel at 100 yds with an impact velocity of 2665 FPS, and the armor stopped 2 hits spaced about 2.5" apart without any problems. The TAC3S aren't Level IV rated, though, and they're also heavy as Hell, though also supposedly super-durable. Not sure how that fits into m1a convert's scheme of things.

Adam_s
07-15-14, 10:42
Just as a data point, according to a reputable source, back in 2011, an LE agency tested the AMI TAC3S plates against a .338 LM 250 gr. load fired from a 26" barrel at 100 yds with an impact velocity of 2665 FPS, and the armor stopped 2 hits spaced about 2.5" apart without any problems. The TAC3S aren't Level IV rated, though, and they're also heavy as Hell, though also supposedly super-durable. Not sure how that fits into m1a convert's scheme of things.

Default: I hadn't seen that...thank you. AMI makes some great armor, but it's beastly heavy. This also goes to show that NIJ ratings aren't the be all, end all-as even stopping something like .338LM doesn't qualify as LvlIV.

markm
07-22-14, 11:58
My new Level IV SA Lightweight, Multi-Curve Shooter Cuts from Bulletproofme are 6.7lbs each and $220/plate. That's a good value in my book. And if you see the video where they tested their Level 4s a couple of years ago, it's damn impressive with all the multiple hits of different rounds they stopped.

Those look good. I just got a new carrier and need a shooters cut set of plates.

krisjon
07-22-14, 13:09
Those look good. I just got a new carrier and need a shooters cut set of plates.

I'm very happy with them. They went into a new LBT 6094 carrier. Very comfortable and easy to move in. Great quality and weight for the $. Bulletproofme was great to deal with, too. If you want pics or anything, PM me.

markm
07-22-14, 13:22
For sure.

krisjon
07-22-14, 14:02
Here's the video of the test that was done on the level IVs. Damn impressive if you ask me. Talk about multi-hit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt2Y1I4ZQ_A

I'll get you some pics when I get home.

Adam_s
07-23-14, 21:46
A little secret-MOST armor companies don't make their own armor. There are only a few facilities world-wide capable of making these ceramic plates. Everyone-they just buy them from an OEM, and slap their own name on it.

If a plate is tested and certified to NIJ standards, the model number is entered into the NIJ's database, so that you can go and verify it's certification status yourself.

Interesting thing is-if the plate is unchanged between the OEM, and the end-distributor, other than the name on it, but NIJ listed model # doesn't change. A little time with your favorite search engine may turn up some interesting stuff as to who really makes what.

Next point-when you buy armor, make sure the plate is independently tested, and if it is certified, certified to the most current standards. The plate mentioned by krisjon is only NIJ '05 rated, not NIJ '06. In some cases this may not be a big deal, but in others...could be bad. Read up on NIJ '04, Interim '05, and NIJ '06, and make your own decisions.

If a plate is Special Threat rated, (rated for threats beyond the scope of NIJ testing), make sure the testing to establish said rating was done by an outside, independent lab. Before you drop the coin on something that is a potentially life-saving piece of equipment, do some homework. Heck-ask to see the test sheets. I've yet to run into a reputable armor firm that will not freely give this data out to potential clients.

There are some firms who will self-certify armor-that is, test it themselves, but not submit it to NIJ testing or official certification. Take that for what you will. Odds are, there will be nothing wrong, but it is one more data point to keep in mind.

Getting back to things at hand-after discussions with a VERY intelligent armor SME, I would feel comfortable telling you that any armor system capable of stopping M855 and 7.62x39MSC will more than suffice for your protection needs. The higher end Armor Piercing rounds are just not present here CONUS. There is a significant difference in bullet design between an AP round, and your average hunting round, even though the rounds may weigh the same.

Think about it-your average hunting round is designed to impact a game animal, and transfer all of it's ballistic energy into that animal creating a wound channel, thus disrupting the animal's vital processes, hopefully killing it. The only thing that is between said bullet, and the internals of the critter in question are a few layers of fat, muscle, skin, and fur. None of these would pose a serious impediment to the progress of the bullet into the target. Armor Piercing ammunition though is designed to penetrate layers of protection between the bullet and the internals of the target. This is often accomplished by a harder metal core (Steel, tungsten, etc). Upon impact with dense materials-such as armor-the core will separate from the rest of the bullet, continuing to penetrate to create the wound channel, thus wounding/killing the target.

If a non-armor piercing round hits armor, it will most likely deform, and not penetrate the armor.

That is not to say that the person inside the armor will not be spared the brunt of the impact, but they will not have to deal with the round entering their body. Physics dictates that energy has to go somewhere, and even if it is dissipated over a larger area, that is still a whole ton of force to spill out.

Remember, armor is BULLET proof, not PHYSICS proof.