PDA

View Full Version : My version of a 'budget' build...

chuckman
07-10-14, 18:30
I wanted a new AR, a beater, one I could use in classes, HD role, etc. But, seeing as my wife and I are finishing our mortgage in the fall, I had no cash to go toward this goal. Time to get creative. I traded a bolt rifle for an AR, which had a PSA upper receiver, standard charging handle, ICA Arms BCG, a decent 18" barrel, Troy Alpha rail; the the lower is a Manta, with a Spikes LPK and a MOE stock and grip. I traded the upper for an Aero Precision upper with a 16" Daniel Defense barrel and Troy Alpha, with a BCM BCG. I sold the MOE stock and bought a used Bravo B5 SOPMOD. I traded something for a BCM Gunfighter charging handle, I sold the Alpha rail. and bought a Daniel Defense Lite 12.0 rail for a song. So for less than $100 I upgraded BCGs, charging handle, and stock, and for not much more than $175 I got the rail. So I have:

Manta lower receiver
Spikes LPK
Bravo B5 SOPMOD stock
Magpul MOE stock
magpul ASAP plate

Aero Precision upper receiver
Daniel Defense barrel
Daniel Defense Lite 12.0 rail
BCM BCG
BCM Gunfighter charging handle

Total cash outlay by me: $275

Now for an optic.....

JusticeM4
07-10-14, 18:51
Looks good man. Post pics when you have it.

Your optic choice will depend on the distance you plan to shoot this rifle.

Airhasz
07-10-14, 19:07
Plus value of bolt gun.

chuckman
07-10-14, 19:30
Plus value of bolt gun.

Yeah, but it sat in a safe. I only shot it a few times, so to me it was no 'loss.'

As for optics, looking at a 1-4 scope. But that's later.

lunchbox
07-10-14, 19:35
A beater AR that gets shot a lot is better than a nice bolt that never gets shot at all, in my book..... But I'm not much of a precision shooter, and you didn't say what brand/model bolt action you traded either, so that might change things a little.