PDA

View Full Version : Any LMT MRP owners here?

jhs1969
06-08-08, 21:47
Have just about decided to go with a MRP in the near (spring) future. I've gotten some great info so far (thanks a lot Mr. Paul Cataldo). I've also read four great reviews on the MRP, just curious how many own one and what are the opinions on them. BTW, my set up will probably be a 16" on a CQB length MRP with a LMT/SOPMOD lower and a 4x ACOG of some model, this should give an extended distance capability without becoming near useless in CQB distances.

Warrior
06-08-08, 22:07
They are cool. I got one anticipating the piston conversion and to have somthing a bit different. I have not shot it much and it won't be replacing any of my regular use guns, I find the barrel weight heavy I don't know why they went with that profile. i like the monolithic Idea and the rail is great. The quick change barrels I think would be cool if you only own 1 or 2 rifles but i have so many for different roles that I haven't actually used it. I have taken the barrel of and put it back on just to see if it was really quick change. So my final opinion on it is it's kind of a novelty fun piece for me although it could serve a more centralized purpose for someone else, overall its pretty cool.

thetallengineer
06-08-08, 22:49
I bought a MRP CQB upper about 9 months ago and have used it without issue for about 2000 rounds. I fired 1300-1400 rounds through it at a Pat Roger's 3-day carbine class this past March and was very pleased. I picked up an extra 18" SS barrel recently but haven't had a chance to shoot it very much. I haven't noticed the POI changing very much when switching out barrels although one day at the range I plan on doing a more careful study of how much shift might occur.

TUNNEL RAT 33
06-09-08, 01:00
i got mine in february from Grant . i too got it in anticipation of the piston system . i have the cqb with the 16 in. bbl . long story short , i love it !! a drunk monkey can swap out the barrels , accurate as hell , top notch craftmanship . give Grant a call at G&R - when your ready

nickdrak
06-09-08, 01:33
I have had mine for over 3 years now. Runs like a sewing machine. I would'nt trade my MRP for anything.

There are reports of poor QC for a short period of time with MRP's coming out of LMT, so make sure that you buy a newly manufactured MRP to avoid picking up a used one that may have issues. The new MRPs have QD sling attachment points directly above the barrel retaining bolts, and at the front end of the side rails.

Warrior
06-09-08, 17:12
I have had mine for over 3 years now. Runs like a sewing machine. I would'nt trade my MRP for anything.

There are reports of poor QC for a short period of time with MRP's coming out of LMT, so make sure that you buy a newly manufactured MRP to avoid picking up a used one that may have issues. The new MRPs have QD sling attachment points directly above the barrel retaining bolts, and at the front end of the side rails.

Yes I second that.

Sabre675
06-09-08, 22:49

3rd The motion MRP's are impervious to superhuman and Earthly powers.:D

Wally
06-09-08, 22:56
I have the old version with a 10.5" barrel. Runs great other than I can't get my suppressor off!!! Buy a good quality BCG, I cheaped out and had a bolt action for a while. The LMT Enhanced runs like clockwork. Good luck with the purchase. Wally

Foxandreed
06-15-08, 21:33
I own a rifle length MRP with a 6.8 16" barrel, a 16 " 5.56 barrel and an 18" SS barrel in 5.56 on an LMT single stage trigger lower with the SOPMOD stock. I shoot this rifle more than my 6920 Colt. I love the accuracy and the takedown of this rifle, it works for my needs perfectly. The only rifle I shoot more is a 9mm Colt AR from back in the day. It always seems to follow the pistols to the range. I have to say the MRP gets a lot of looks from the guys around me when I change barrels and caliber in a couple of minutes. If you do it, seriously plan on a second barrel, bolt, and some mags for 6.8. Enjoy it, shoot it, and train with it hard.

Razorhunter
06-15-08, 22:08
Not sure if you've seen these, but lots of great pics. Every MRP owner should look these threads over....

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=258362&page=1

jhs1969
06-16-08, 09:00
Not sure if you've seen these, but lots of great pics. Every MRP owner should look these threads over....

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=258362&page=1

Thanks for the link Paul, some great ideas there.

nickdrak
06-16-08, 11:07
Just got back from a two day carbine course with Sully (DefensiveEdge/SLR15). My MRP ran like a champ through the class until the very last course of fire. I had two double feeds during the final segment. After opening up my carbine, I discovered a nice clump of clay/mud inside of the barrel extension and caked all around the bolt carrier. Thats what I get for failing to close the dust cover after stepping off the line. The mud was flying back off of the berm while I was coaching my training partner through a shooting/movement drill and apparently a chunk landed right in the open port w/the bolt locked back.

During the two day class I shot about 900rds of a mix of PMC Bronze 55gr, Wolf Mil Classic 55gr FMJ, and the new Wolf Black Box 75gr HP steel cased ammo. I didnt clean it during the class, but simply re-lubed the BCG at the start of the TD2.

So, to review....The MRP will run like a raped ape, even when shooting dirty/cheap ammo as long as you keep it lubed, and keep clay/mud/rocks out of the ejection port;)

Here's a pic of my MRP after the class:
http://i32.tinypic.com/1257604.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/20gjuo.jpg

ETA: Here's a better pic of the funk inside of the receiver:
http://i26.tinypic.com/2uf3kg2.jpg

Razorhunter
06-16-08, 15:45
Aimpoint M4 = BadAss CQB Optic!

LIL-COMMANDO
06-16-08, 15:49
Great rifle you have there. 900 rounds in two days is great for an average civilian and excellent for a LEO who want to use the MRP for duty. Hey the LMT DI works and do you realy need any piston rifle? Well my next purchase will be the LMT MRP piston when its available since I have four DI rifles, all Colts.:D

nickdrak
06-16-08, 22:14
I may consider getting the piston barrel assembly for my MRP after the yet to be released piston barrels have been out on the market for atleast one year, and any potential bugs are completely worked out, and revisions are made.

Razorhunter
06-17-08, 00:10
Guys,
I recently heard that a company called "ABS" was once making bbls for the MRP platform a while back, when LMT actually sold the bbl extensions seperately.
Does anyone know WHO "ABS" is???
Thanks.

nickdrak
06-17-08, 01:51
Guys,
I recently heard that a company called "ABS" was once making bbls for the MRP platform a while back, when LMT actually sold the bbl extensions seperately.
Does anyone know WHO "ABS" is???
Thanks.

Paul,

A.B.S. made (Advanced Barrel Systems) a very limited run ofcarbon fiber wrapped MRP barrels. A.B.S. was able to obtain a few MRP barrel extensions from LMT, but LMT decided a short time later that they didnt want to sell the MRP components seperately. It is my understanding that A.B.S. does not have access to anymore MRP barrel components.

Razorhunter
06-17-08, 06:34
Thanks bro,
That's ALL I needed to know.
Paul Cataldo