PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P

Dport
06-11-06, 15:23
Anyone with any experience with one?

How high is the bore axis compared to a Glock?
What's the accuracy like?

bigbore
06-11-06, 15:41
I believe any (non target) handgun is more mechanicaly accurate thean the person pulling the trigger;)

I've sold 4, and the customers were all happy, but all 4 had to be sent back to S&W because the slide release, would not release the slide unless you pulled back on the slide to relive the pressure.

Boom
06-11-06, 15:59
They seem to be a well thoughtout weapon. My only neg would be the mag has weak springs. I was doing mag change drills with one and had the entire base plate pop off which dumped the spring and follower. Now that was only with one gun, I have not played or handled others yet.

Steve
06-11-06, 16:01
had to be sent back to S&W because the slide release, would not release the slide unless you pulled back on the slide to relive the pressure.

Personally i find that to be a NON issue for myself, others have differnt thoughts and thats there style of things.

I have run over 2k through mine and love it waiting on new sights either some from smith or henie, I will be running this gun in Albion this up comming weekend. the gun is smooth, accurate.

I find it fits me best with the large grip, but i have huge paws.

as far the slide stop being stiff ok i grasp over the top to run the slide into battery. i have also practiced on running the slide off the holster or anyother other object close by, in my support hand and strong hand only drills.

the gun feels better to me than the glock, they railroad me pretty good nothing i cant overcome but i prefer not to have too.

Dport
06-11-06, 16:57
I believe any (non target) handgun is more mechanicaly accurate thean the person pulling the trigger;)

I've sold 4, and the customers were all happy, but all 4 had to be sent back to S&W because the slide release, would not release the slide unless you pulled back on the slide to relive the pressure.
I don't know anymore. I was just shooting my FiveseveN and was shooting much better with it than my Glock. I don't think flinching was playing a part because I was going back and forth between the two guns, and if a flinch had set in it would have been obvious with the first shot out of the FN.

M4arc
06-17-06, 09:39
Dport - From what I've heard you're an excellent shot with your Glocks. If that's the case why change?

Glocks are stone reliable and you're very accurate with them. Sounds good to me.

Dport
06-17-06, 10:30
Dport - From what I've heard you're an excellent shot with your Glocks. If that's the case why change?

Glocks are stone reliable and you're very accurate with them. Sounds good to me.
I'm not as accurate with them as I am with the FiveseveN. It became painfully obvious when shooting steel at 25yds last weekend.

I'm thinking Bar Sto barrel. I've noticed play in the lockup of the G17. Maybe a fitted Bar Sto would help.

We gotta meet sometime. There is no way you're as evil as Dinger makes you out to be., ;)

M4arc
06-17-06, 11:05
I'm not as accurate with them as I am with the FiveseveN. It became painfully obvious when shooting steel at 25yds last weekend.

I'm thinking Bar Sto barrel. I've noticed play in the lockup of the G17. Maybe a fitted Bar Sto would help.

We gotta meet sometime. There is no way you're as evil as Dinger makes you out to be., ;)

Actually I am fairly evil but Dinger does exaggerate most of the time :D

You shoot a G17 right? Have you tried a G19 or a G34? Dinger can back me up on this; I'm far more accurate with my G19 than I am with my G17. Maybe try a 19?

Dport
06-17-06, 15:48
19s don't work for me. I moved to a 17 after trying the 19.

Robb Jensen
06-23-06, 07:07
I bought my wife a used 9mm one last week. We got them for a steal. S&W says they were SHOT show specials but they brass sample envelope said it was collected in April 2006, so it was probably used at the big NRA show. It was fired and dirty, but looked like probably less than 100 rounds through it at most. Yesterday on my day off I taught myself how to completely detail strip it and cleaned it up well doing a little smoothing here and there. I also replaced the striker spring with a Glock standard striker spring. It combined with the smoothing really makes the trigger pretty nice. I also added some skateboard/grip tape to it. My wife has really small hands and uses the smallest rubber grip on it. So far she loves it and has put 200 rounds through it. She can more easily reach the trigger on this than on her Glock 19 and 26 pistols. She still loves her Glocks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/81326030.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/7b2cc9fe.jpg

M4arc
06-23-06, 07:18
I bought my wife a used 9mm one last week. We got them for a steal. S&W says they were SHOT show specials but they brass sample envelope said it was collected in April 2006, so it was probably used at the big NRA show. It was fired and dirty, but looked like probably less than 100 rounds through it at most. Yesterday on my day off I taught myself how to completely detail strip it and cleaned it up well doing a little smoothing here and there. I also replaced the striker spring with a Glock standard striker spring. It combined with the smoothing really makes the trigger pretty nice. I also added some skateboard/grip tape to it. My wife has really small hands and uses the smallest rubber grip on it. So far she loves it and has put 200 rounds through it. She can more easily reach the trigger on this than on her Glock 19 and 26 pistols. She still loves her Glocks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/81326030.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/7b2cc9fe.jpg

Your wife has all the cool stuff :cool:

9x19
06-23-06, 09:46
Your wife has all the cool stuff :cool:

;) :D I've been wanting one of the S&W M&Ps ever since getting to fondle one of them at SHOT. I really like it so far, and I'm looking forward to shooting it again after gotm4 worked on it. All of my firearms get "the treatment."

I call it the most ergonomic of pistols, and I would say that less than 1% of the adult population have hands as small as mine. It was weird to be able to easily reach the trigger, but I adjusted after a few mags. :)

M4arc
06-23-06, 10:25
;) :D I've been wanting one of the S&W M&Ps ever since getting to fondle one of them at SHOT. I really like it so far, and I'm looking forward to shooting it again after gotm4 worked on it. All of my firearms get "the treatment."

I call it the most ergonomic of pistols, and I would say that less than 1% of the adult population have hands as small as mine. It was weird to be able to easily reach the trigger, but I adjusted after a few mags. :)

It's great to have you here on the site!

I'll have to shoot yours before I decide to get one. I think it's a great pistol but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up my GLOCKs just yet.

Sam
06-23-06, 18:23
Got mine a couple weeks ago. After the initial 100 round familiarization, I decided to use the pistol in Ken Hackathorn's 2 days handgun class. I shot the M&P 9 the first day, ran about 350 rounds through it with 0 malfunction. Magazine change is easy due to the metal magazines, they fly out of the pistol when the button is pressed. Recoil was minimal, I think less than a glock. We thought that it was due to the low bore axis. I put a g19 and the MP on top of each other and they look like they have similar bore height (above the grip tang). But the MP has a more comfortable grip due to the interchangeable backstrap. I prefer the smallest insert for my hand. I can get more meat to grip contact than the g19. The trigger reset is not as crisp as a glock by easily learned after 3 or 4 magazines (I'm a slow learner).
My gun doesn't have the internal lock and pretty soon the magazine disconnect will go away too. This one is a keeper.
BTW, for comparison, I shot the Beretta Centurion the second day. I noticed the Centurion had more muzzle flip than the MP that I shot the day before.

Hawkeye
06-23-06, 20:05
We sell quite a few of them at work. They are nice weapons for sure, but they just havent been able to sway me over from my Glocks yet.

9x19
06-23-06, 22:37
It's great to have you here on the site!

I'll have to shoot yours before I decide to get one. I think it's a great pistol but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up my GLOCKs just yet.

I won't be giving up my Glocks, I still love all of 'em, but the M&P is really nice. I think you will like shooting it.

JLM
07-13-06, 01:14
Please god, give us the .45 :)

VA_Dinger
07-13-06, 22:55
Please god, give us the .45 :)

Thats what I'm waiting on also.

I have heard great things about the prototypes.

JLM
07-20-06, 04:38
Jeah, I reckon you read what Gordo said as well. Jeap jeap.....

The other thing too is, by the time the .45 comes out they will hopefully have all the kinds worked out. I'm tempted to go ahead and get 9mm now thou, just so I have one. I have an 870 to build first thou.

M4arc
07-20-06, 09:01
Jeah, I reckon you read what Gordo said as well. Jeap jeap.....

The other thing too is, by the time the .45 comes out they will hopefully have all the kinds worked out. I'm tempted to go ahead and get 9mm now thou, just so I have one. I have an 870 to build first thou.

The shop next to my office said they would order me one without the lock and mag disconnect. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

9x19
07-21-06, 22:22
I got some practice in with my 9mm last night. I put about 200 rounds through it. I really like the pistol. The more I shoot it, the more I like it.:D

M4arc
07-22-06, 20:40
I got some practice in with my 9mm last night. I put about 200 rounds through it. I really like the pistol. The more I shoot it, the more I like it.:D

Oh, how do you feel about it taking over for your Glocks now?

Sam
07-25-06, 08:26
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/RichardTouch/MP.jpg
A picture of my M&P with Talon Tactical holster (www.talontactical.com) and clip on mag pouch that I made with Mike's help.
I have 800 rounds through the gun with zero problem.

DocGKR
07-25-06, 18:01
As much as I like the terminal ballistics of .40 S&W ammunition, I have prefered 9 mm G17/19's and .45 ACP 1911's because there has been a distinct paucity of durable, ergonomic, reliable service handguns in .40 S&W...that is until now. As far as I am concerned, the M&P is the sole reason I will consider switching to .40 S&W--what's not to like about 16 rounds of 180 gr JHP at 975 f/s? As I previously wrote:

I had the opportunity to fire a significant number of Win 180 gr rounds from the .40 S&W M&P this week and do some back to back comparisons with other .40 handguns including Glock 22, Sig P229, S&W 4006, and a custom Browning HP. The M&P was very accurate--of the pistols test fired, only the custom Browning HP could out do it. The Novak sights worked very well in all light conditions. Without a doubt, the M&P offers the softest shooting feel and least recoil of any .40 S&W I have shot. Despite the larger caliber, the M&P feels a lot like shooting a G17. Some shooters used to the "sproing" re-set feel of Glocks have complained of a vague feeling reset on the M&P; I find the M&P triggers to be smooth and light, with a re-set that is well-liked by those used to 1911's. With its low bore-axis and nice trigger, the S&W M&P proved very easy to shoot rapidly and accurately--much like a 1911 or HP. Reliability was flawless--despite a lack of cleaning and lube, no failures to feed or function occurred. The 15 round metal mags are nicely executed. The M&P is very ergonomic with good control layout. The grips are fantastic; with the small grip, it was difficult to believe I was shooting a 15 round double stack. The grip angle was ideal for me to point quickly, precisely, and intuitively. The pistol is lightweight, snag-free, and easy to carry. The only issue I noticed was some mild trigger finger irritation caused by the sharp edge at the bottom of the trigger, but it took many rounds to be noticeable and never became a significant issue--perhaps a slight re-shape/smoothing would resolve this minor annoyance.

Bottom line: LE agencies in the market for a new handgun would be wise to take a long hard look at the S&W M&P--it is definitely high on my list.

M4arc
07-25-06, 21:07
Thanks Doc!

I'm really considering an M&P 9mm. By all accounts this thing sounds like a winner.

DocGKR
07-25-06, 21:35
Yup, the M&P is good stuff! The only unknown is long-term durability.

I guess I am getting old fashioned or something--I seem to end-up shooting European calibers in foreign pistols and American calibers in U.S. pistols...

M4arc
07-26-06, 06:57
Yup, the M&P is good stuff! The only unknown is long-term durability.

I guess I am getting old fashioned or something--I seem to end-up shooting European calibers in foreign pistols and American calibers in U.S. pistols...

I'll have to get one so that I can contribute to the long-term testing. :D

But the mag disconnect thing does sort of piss me off. It appeared that S&W was going to offer it without but know I'm hearing that is LE only. That's the only thing holding me back at this point.

Robb Jensen
07-26-06, 07:11
I'll have to get one so that I can contribute to the long-term testing. :D

But the mag disconnect thing does sort of piss me off. It appeared that S&W was going to offer it without but know I'm hearing that is LE only. That's the only thing holding me back at this point.

It's easy to remove/disconnect the mag disconnect. I'll be disconnecting my wifes soon.
http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P.htm

M4arc
07-26-06, 07:18
It's easy to remove/disconnect the mag disconnect. I'll be disconnecting my wifes soon.
http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P.htm

Thanks man! I was just over on 10-8 looking for this link :)

How's 9x19 liking hers? I'm all jazzed up over this handgun and I don't know if I can wait much longer...

Robb Jensen
07-26-06, 07:33
Thanks man! I was just over on 10-8 looking for this link :)

How's 9x19 liking hers? I'm all jazzed up over this handgun and I don't know if I can wait much longer...

She loves it. Next year she's going to start shooting USPSA with me. She'll be using the M&P in Production division. I've already ordered her a dropped offset BladeTech for her. BladeTech doesn't make mag pouches yet so she'll probably use CR Speed ones.

I still prefer a Glock but the M&P is very nice.

9x19
07-29-06, 13:19
Oh, how do you feel about it taking over for your Glocks now?

I love my Glocks, and I think I am going to love it too. We might have a winner. Hmm, I thinking .357 would be great. :D

M4arc
07-30-06, 10:05
I love my Glocks, and I think I am going to love it too. We might have a winner. Hmm, I thinking .357 would be great. :D

They have .357 SIG listed on the website!

Can you ask Robb if they (S&W) will see the none internal lock/non mag disconnect model to those of use that aren't Mil/LEO?

I read where they were going but then I read where they won't. I'm confused...

Robb Jensen
07-30-06, 19:01
They have .357 SIG listed on the website!

Can you ask Robb if they (S&W) will see the none internal lock/non mag disconnect model to those of use that aren't Mil/LEO?

I read where they were going but then I read where they won't. I'm confused...

The LE (no mag disconnect) is available now. We have one in stock in .40 right now.

M4arc
07-31-06, 06:08
The LE (no mag disconnect) is available now. We have one in stock in .40 right now.

Available for sale to anyone?

Robb Jensen
07-31-06, 07:14
Available for sale to anyone?

Yes. A warning is engraved (very small) below the ejection port that it can fire without the magazine present.

M4arc
07-31-06, 07:22
Yes. A warning is engraved (very small) below the ejection port that it can fire without the magazine present.

Will you let me know when you get a 9mm without the disconnect and interal lock in stock?

Robb Jensen
07-31-06, 08:03
Will you let me know when you get a 9mm without the disconnect and interal lock in stock?

I will.

VA_Dinger
07-31-06, 08:09
I will.

Would you please let me know also?

M4arc
07-31-06, 08:21

Don't do it Robb. <evil laugh>

Robb Jensen
07-31-06, 08:26

I sure will. I can't let M4arc have all the fun. :D

VA_Dinger
07-31-06, 10:25
Thanks Robb

JLM
08-08-06, 02:22
Does anyone know how many rounds the .45 is going to hold?

VA_Dinger
08-13-06, 21:39
Does anyone know how many rounds the .45 is going to hold?

Has anybody heard any news on the M&P .45?

Robb Jensen
08-16-06, 19:34
We had Ernest Langdon of S&W LE/Gov't sales in the shop Monday and I forgot to ask him about the .45

I did get to handle and dryfire his M&P 40. The .40 was friggin' amazing. The trigger was 2.75lbs and the reset was just like my STI 2011 Limited gun. He had a G17 steel guide rod and a 13lb Wolff recoil spring (for G17 also). He had a red fiber optic sight (not Dawson but it looks like one) and a Scott Warren rear sight.

The trigger was easily as good as the very best Charlie Vanek Glock trigger (2lbs). Ernests was very crisp much like a 1911 and the take up was almost nothing. The reset was just like a 3rd Gen S&W auto. Other than the recoil spring all other springs were completely stock. He said he had just finished Julie Goloskis M&P (came out better than his .40) which will be USPSA legal for Production division in December of this year.

He uses .40 for IDPA shooting because the power factor is only 125.
I forgot what he said the velocity he's currently loading to but he's using 180gr bullets very slowing w/VV320 power which recoils a lot less than 9mm but only slightly more than 22lr yet easily makes power factor. This was the same pistol he used to place 2nd in the 2006 Winter Nat'l at S&W earlier this year. Phil Strader (my old boss) placed 1st with a G17, Ernest Langdon place 2nd using this M&P .40, and Dave Sevigny was 3rd with a G34.

Ernest said he didn't know who would have taken the time to write the 42 page 'How-to' M&P trigger jobs. ;)

I think the M&P will give the Glock a serious run for it's money in IDPA and USPSA in the next 3 yrs.

JLM
08-17-06, 02:51

Ditto on that as well :D

Robb Jensen
08-17-06, 11:17
I just finished doing a trigger job and removing the mag disconnect on my wifes M&P 9. I followed the online instructions (http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&Ptriggerjob.htm) and ended up with a very smooth and crisp 4 lb trigger pull with a very short and positive reset. The reset is now the same distance as my G34 with a Ghost Rocket 3.5lb connector. It's a 100% improvement over stock.
After I get some spare parts, I'll go further and shorten the reset and sear engagement even more. :D

The way S&W designed the M&P to have a seperate sear instead of making it part of the trigger bar is genius. This allows you to alter the sear engagement without messing something up. And you get a much more crisp trigger break because the trigger bar doesn't flex like a Glock.

When Ernest Langdon was in the shop the other day I asked him about the mag disconnect and he said if it's undesired just remove all of it.

The mag disconnect doesn't need the cut down 1911 mag catch spring as described here (http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P.htm) if you just remove all of it, the mag disconnect lever, spring, pin and internal take down lever. This does now make the M&P have to be dry fired to disassemble. No biggie there, I've been doing that with Glocks since 1987. So Ernests instuctions I left these parts out.

Tonight I'm going to put some rounds through it to see how it'll perform.

VA_Dinger
08-17-06, 11:59
We had Ernest Langdon of S&W LE/Gov't sales in the shop Monday and I forgot to ask him about the .45

Ernie would have been the man to ask.

Business_Casual
08-19-06, 23:07
Tonight I'm going to put some rounds through it to see how it'll perform.

Yeah, but is it "ackrit"? :D

M_P

Robb Jensen
08-20-06, 08:03
Yeah, but is it "ackrit"? :D

M_P

Depends on who's pulling the trigger. ;)

JohnN
08-22-06, 20:44
I was told by someone who has actually shot one that magazine capacity is 10. Probably not what alot of folks want to hear but the upside is the gun is is very close to the size of the .40's.

John

M4arc
08-25-06, 19:02
I was told by someone who has actually shot one that magazine capacity is 10. Probably not what alot of folks want to hear but the upside is the gun is is very close to the size of the .40's.

John

I stopped by my local shop today and the S&W rep was on hand. I asked him about the 45 and said the same thing but did state a lot of details still have to be worked out.

I also asked him if civilians could purchase the M&P without the mag disconnect and he said, "absolutely."

RyanS
08-25-06, 20:04
I also asked him if civilians could purchase the M&P without the mag disconnect and he said, "absolutely."

That being the case, I'm going to tell my dealer to stick it. I've asked and asked and asked some more to check and he's said that S&W doesn't do it. I knew he was full of crap. :mad:

Robb Jensen
08-25-06, 23:17
I worked on 9x19s (Bonnies) M&P a little more tonight. I have the trigger pull somewhere between 3.25lb-3.5lbs. It's heavier than my Limited gun (STI) which is 2.75lbs but not much heavier than it. The reset is only about 1 mm longer than my STI.

I think I'll stop dicking with it otherwise I'll be calling Langdon for some parts. :p

dubb-1
08-26-06, 08:18
I may bring one home eventually...

VA_Dinger
08-29-06, 13:22
I stopped by my local shop today and the S&W rep was on hand. I asked him about the 45 and said the same thing but did state a lot of details still have to be worked out.

When are you going to call the rep back? I would like to take him up on his offer of a 9mm test fire range trip.

RyanS
08-30-06, 16:26

As follow up on this, I've talked to all three gun shops in town and they've all said the same thing....M&Ps without the mag disconnect are not available to civilians. I asked if they've tried to get them without the mag disconnect or even inquired about it. None of them have and they didn't seem interested in trying or further discussing the subject with me. I get the impression from them that since the majority of people either don't know this or don't care, the gun shops won't either.

M4arc
08-30-06, 16:39
As follow up on this, I've talked to all three gun shops in town and they've all said the same thing....M&Ps without the mag disconnect are not available to civilians. I asked if they've tried to get them without the mag disconnect or even inquired about it. None of them have and they didn't seem interested in trying or further discussing the subject with me. I get the impression from them that since the majority of people either don't know this or don't care, the gun shops won't either.

Ryan, my advice to you is to call Bob's Gun Shop @ 757-627 8311 and ask for Steve. Ask him to order one for you and transfer it to your shop.

RyanS
08-30-06, 17:00
Ryan, my advice to you is to call Bob's Gun Shop @ 757-627 8311 and ask for Steve. Ask him to order one for you and transfer it to your shop.

Thanks. The question becomes...9 or 40? The M&P is the first handgun that I've actually enjoyed shooting the 40 with. However, if the 40 shoots this nice, imagine how a 9 would feel. Oh the decisions we have to make.

9x19
09-01-06, 16:54
We took the 9mm M&P to the range again last night. It was the first time since the latest gotm4 "treatment." I love this pistol! I am adjusting to a pistol actually fitting my small hands and short fingers. I know the extra special treatment helps, but this pistol is great. gotm4 shot it a lot last night also. He had to test his work first of course, but he's talking of getting one for himself now. :D

VA_Dinger
09-06-06, 14:10
I wonder when we are going to see the first photos of the production M&P .45?

olds442tyguy
09-06-06, 15:35
I second that Dinger. I'm still wondering if S&W is going to add an external safety lever per SOCOM's request and I think it'd be interesting to see one in FDE with a threaded barrel.

After getting a little more trigger time on a M&P 40, I'm actually quite accurate with it even though the pistol doesn't feel comfortable to me. :confused:

Has anyone thrown a can on one yet?

JohnN
09-07-06, 06:49
I second that Dinger. I'm still wondering if S&W is going to add an external safety lever per SOCOM's request and I think it'd be interesting to see one in FDE with a threaded barrel.

After getting a little more trigger time on a M&P 40, I'm actually quite accurate with it even though the pistol doesn't feel comfortable to me. :confused:

Has anyone thrown a can on one yet?

From what I understand the gun is being made both ways at least in prototype. Hard to say if the production model will be available both ways or not.

swingset
09-08-06, 04:09
It might be merely rumor at this point but I remember reading that the .45 would be 13+1 from a smith worker on the S&W board, don't quote me on that. He might have been guessing. I'll buy one no matter.

I have the 9mm version, no lock or mag safety with factory night sights, and I love it. It's got nearly 2,000 rounds so far with no problems whatsoever, eats everything and very acccurate. I did the trigger job on it, breaks just a hair over 3lbs with a crisp break and a positive reset. 18 rounds of +P+ is nothing to sneeze at.

The compact is out now, I think it's being shipped already. Here's some pics of it.

http://www.bloodimage.com/image000076if.jpg

http://www.bloodimage.com/image000088zo.jpg

http://www.bloodimage.com/image000098qf.jpg

There's also a good forum dedicated to the M&P:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php

Bill
09-11-06, 21:34
I've read conflicting information re. the mag safety and ILS. One source says anyone can order a pistol that way, yet the S&W website says removal or either is for LEO orders. It wouldn't be the first time their website had incorrect info, hence my question. Does anyone know for sure?

M4arc
09-12-06, 09:25
I've read conflicting information re. the mag safety and ILS. One source says anyone can order a pistol that way, yet the S&W website says removal or either is for LEO orders. It wouldn't be the first time their website had incorrect info, hence my question. Does anyone know for sure?

Bill, three weeks ago I asked the local S&W rep if civies could purchase the M&P without the mag disconnect and internal lock and his reply was, "absolutely".

swingset
09-13-06, 01:02
Bill, three weeks ago I asked the local S&W rep if civies could purchase the M&P without the mag disconnect and internal lock and his reply was, "absolutely".

That's correct. I believe if you order the gun, the "no mag disconnect" guns have a last SKU digit of "1", whereas the disconnect guns have a "0" for a last digit.

The disconnect is VERY easy to remove, tho, so if you do want one and don't feel like ordering, it's not a deal-killer.

I got the no-internal lock model, but mine did have the mag-safety. Took me 5 minutes to disable it.

justbill
09-14-06, 17:15
That's correct. I believe if you order the gun, the "no mag disconnect" guns have a last SKU digit of "1", whereas the disconnect guns have a "0" for a last digit.

The disconnect is VERY easy to remove, tho, so if you do want one and don't feel like ordering, it's not a deal-killer.

I got the no-internal lock model, but mine did have the mag-safety. Took me 5 minutes to disable it.

Hi and thanks for the info. Truthfully, I like the idea of a mag safety and was asking for a friend who is still iffy on the subject.

BTW, I had to open a new account. For some reason the account under "Bill" kept ditching passwords. I got tired of it and will use "jusbill" from now on.

VA_Dinger
09-14-06, 18:03
I was told yesterday to expect the first production M&P.45's around January 2007. I would assume this means Smith & Wesson is doing the unveiling at SHOT.

M4arc
11-04-06, 17:33
9x19,

Any updates on how you're getting along with the M&P? :D

Robb Jensen
11-04-06, 18:07
9x19,

Any updates on how you're getting along with the M&P? :D

She shot about 250 rounds last night through hers. I shot about 350 through it too yesterday and tomorrow I'm shooting it at the Fredericksburg match. I got her trigger down to about 3lbs now with a VERY short reset (like a tuned 1911). I haven't done anything to my own M&P9 except for removing the mag disconnect and adding grip tape. I haven't had the time to do a trigger job on it yet (I've been as busy as a 1 legged man in a ass kickin' contest) and I'm patiently waitng for Scott Warren to finish his production of the M&P Warren Tactical sights.

I'm shooting it faster, maybe even more fast than my Limited gun (STI .40) but I have to remember to shoot only alphas tomorrow. Anything less and the points down hurts badly in Production Minor.

About a month ago I handled Ernest Langdons M&P45 and I can say it's damn nice, his is a prototype and doesn't have any slide markings or frame texturing but it fits the hand very well. A lot like a XD45 but with a shorter grip. Ernests has the manual safety. I'll be gettin one of these as well.

Hawkeye
11-04-06, 18:21
So I am gathering that those with the M&P9 are happy with them so far? (I'm really trying to like this gun)

Anyone have a 9mm compact yet? Thoughts?

JLM
11-04-06, 18:39
I was told yesterday to expect the first production M&P.45's around January 2007. I would assume this means Smith & Wesson is doing the unveiling at SHOT.

Someone has GOT to have some pictures :cool:

M4arc
11-04-06, 19:15
Thanks for the update. I'm still keeping my eye on them and I'm squirreling money away so I might pick one up in February or March.

Hawkeye - I've heard a lot of great things by people I respect. They sound like the real deal.

9x19
11-04-06, 19:27
I am definitely enjoying my M&P. I shoot it every time it's tweaked a little more:D , and I want to start shooting IPSC matches with it. Since it actually fits my hand better than any pistol besides my Sig P239 in 9mm, I've had to learn how to shoot it without it pulling on the trigger too hard.

I highly recommend it!

ETA: I can't think of anything that I dislike about this pistol. I like everything about it including how easy it is to load the magazines to 17 rounds. With the smallest grip inserts, it fits my hands better than any pistol I own. I have small hands, and such short fingers that I have real trouble finding adult size Ladies gloves that fit. With the larger inserts, it will fit much larger hands than mine. I love this pistol!

JohnN
11-05-06, 15:36
Still diggin' my M&P9, replaced my Glock 19. 3500 rds. and counting without malfunction. Checked out a Compact yesterday at Gander Mountain and can't say as I like the feel of it, definitely feels better than a Glock 26 but not near good enough for me to buy one. Patiently waiting for a .45...

Robb Jensen
11-05-06, 21:40
Well I finished 5th out of 24 shooters in Production and I didn't even finish Stage 2 which counted as 5 misses and 2 failures to engage. I had a case stuck in the chamber. It was a Black Hills blue box factory reload 147gr that split in 3 places it took a squib rod to knock out the stuck case. Scott Warren won Production, he's telling me 2 months on the Warren M&P sight availability.

Here's a few pics of me shooting it at the Frednecksburg match Sunday (last match there this year). The gun shoots very well and flat. I'm still getting used to the gun. It's doesn't feel too different from my Limited STI (no manual safety) but drawing and shooting it feel very similar. Not like the drastic difference from a 1911 to a Glock.
I think Luis captured the bullet in the air in the last pic here, look just ahead of the first casing that left the pistol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robb.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robb5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robb4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robb3-1.jpg

matt7184
11-05-06, 22:18
2 months... :(

swingset
11-06-06, 05:01
Just picked up a .40 to go with my full sized 9mm. Took it out this weekend and ran 500 rounds through it, ran like a top. Very accurate and no hiccups at all. Funny enough, with a heavier .40 load its nearly impossible to tell from the 9, recoil wise.

I did the trigger job on it last night, going to function test today and run a few hundred more through it. Love these guns, I never thought I'd be cool-aid drinking over a Smith product but I'm going to own every caliber and variant they make.....I foresee adapting to the "M&P system" and sticking to it. Just too comfortable with the gun to use anything else.

Robb Jensen
11-06-06, 06:01
2 months... :(

I know I'm hating it too. I've opened up the stock rear sight just a little. (about as big as a race cut Heinie Glock rear sight/Warren Glock rear). But the front is way too wide for speed.

I think for the meantime I'll be getting a fiber optic front sight from http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/ they have one for the stock rear. I'll probably just paint over the white dots of the rear.

RyanS
11-06-06, 13:09
About a month ago I handled Ernest Langdons M&P45 and I can say it's damn nice, his is a prototype and doesn't have any slide markings or frame texturing but it fits the hand very well. A lot like a XD45 but with a shorter grip. Ernests has the manual safety. I'll be gettin one of these as well.

Can you provide any additional details regarding the M&P45? Capacity, how does the frame compare to the 9 and 40? I hope it's not like Glock where the 9 and 40 is just right and the 45 is like holding a brick? Thanks.

Robb Jensen
11-06-06, 18:27
Can you provide any additional details regarding the M&P45? Capacity, how does the frame compare to the 9 and 40? I hope it's not like Glock where the 9 and 40 is just right and the 45 is like holding a brick? Thanks.

It has a 10 round capacity (to keep the grip short like the 9mm), with my eyes closed I can't tell the difference between a M&P9 and a M&P45 in my hand.

RyanS
11-06-06, 21:32
It has a 10 round capacity (to keep the grip short like the 9mm), with my eyes closed I can't tell the difference between a M&P9 and a M&P45 in my hand.

Outstanding. The M&P just might be the ticket to shoot up the 1300 rounds of 45 ACP taking up space in my safe.

SuicideHz
11-07-06, 22:34
How's that trigger feel being hinged in the middel and all?

Razoreye
11-07-06, 22:49
In case anyone hasn't seen yet - Bud's Guns Shop is listing one of the M&Ps at $369.00 leaving me with little excuse not to own one! :D

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_71/products_id/37125

Robb Jensen
11-08-06, 03:35
How's that trigger feel being hinged in the middel and all?

I don't even notice it like I do on the trigger safety of a Glock. I've been shooting Glocks since 1987.

Last weekend I placed 5th in Production at the Fredericksburg VA monthly USPSA match. (Scott Warren of Warren Tactical was 1st place, he said M&P Warren sight should be ready in 2 months).

I placed 5th in Production even with me not finishing stage 2 where I had a stuck casing (split in 3 spots) stuck in the chamber. It was a Black Hills blue box (factory reload) 147gr so I'm going to see what Black Hills is going to do about this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robb.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robb5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robb3-1.jpg

subzero
12-02-06, 19:48
So I just picked up an M&P 9 last week and I tried it out at the range today.

Let me preface my remarks by saying that this is the first handgun I've bought that isn't a 1911 or Glock. I love my RRA, I love my G19, and I don't have room for much else. I figured the M&P might be able to take up some of the middle ground between the two.

So after buying it last week, I farted around at home during the week with dry fire. That was disconcerting. There's a bump in the break of the trigger that had me really wondering if this thing was worth it. After a couple hundred rounds today the bump is much less noticable, and only when I'm attempting slow fire. When I speed up, I 'm bothered less by the funky trigger (the hinge, that is) and long reset and the gun just does what it needs to do.

Slow fire groups were less than exceptional. I believe part of that may be due to the big stupid white dots distracting my less than perfect eyes. Some black paint will take care of that. Regardless, I'm convinced that there's nothing wrong with the gun, I just need to get more used to it.

I was less than happy when I started shooting, but as I started doing reload drills, pressing out and speeding up, I became more and more impressed with the gun. Despite the less than familiar feel, the rounds were hitting and things were moving along at a reasonable pace. By the end of the range session, I was convinced that this gun and I had a future together. If only it didn't have SMITH & WESSON in 14 pt font across the slide, it'd look as good as it shoots.

Who knows, maybe it'll take the place of my G19 someday. It definitely feels better than the Glock, and that's half the battle.

What I like:
- interchangable backstraps
- grip angle and length
- the sights fall in line similarly to my 1911 (yay!)
- big stupid magazine floorplate (came in handy when I was practicing shoot-reload-shoots)
- 17 round magazines that you can actually load to 17 (OMG!)

What I don't like:
- white dots on fake Novaks (I need some Heinies for this thing)
- hinged trigger (I'll get used to it)
- magazine safety
- bump in the trigger break (could use some smoothing and lightening)
- expensive magazines
- big stupid magazine floorplate (it's big and stupid!)

Sam
12-02-06, 20:54
What I don't like:
- magazine safety
- expensive magazines

1. A temporary fix with a black magic marker will make the white dots go away. I took the magic marker to the rear dots and painted the entire front sight orange, that helped a lot for these 44 year old near sighted eyes.

2. Like you said.

3. Can be removed in 15 minutes and while you got the parts out ...

4. 15 more minutes will give you a "level 1" trigger job. You can down load instructions from the net. Mike Benedict did the work for me, I had to buy him lunch though.

5 and 6. Can't do anything about either of those.

:)

Hardgear, LLC
12-02-06, 21:54
So I just picked up an M&P 9 last week and I tried it out at the range today.

Let me preface my remarks by saying that this is the first handgun I've bought that isn't a 1911 or Glock. I love my RRA, I love my G19, and I don't have room for much else. I figured the M&P might be able to take up some of the middle ground between the two.

So after buying it last week, I farted around at home during the week with dry fire. That was disconcerting. There's a bump in the break of the trigger that had me really wondering if this thing was worth it. After a couple hundred rounds today the bump is much less noticable, and only when I'm attempting slow fire. When I speed up, I 'm bothered less by the funky trigger (the hinge, that is) and long reset and the gun just does what it needs to do.

Slow fire groups were less than exceptional. I believe part of that may be due to the big stupid white dots distracting my less than perfect eyes. Some black paint will take care of that. Regardless, I'm convinced that there's nothing wrong with the gun, I just need to get more used to it.

I was less than happy when I started shooting, but as I started doing reload drills, pressing out and speeding up, I became more and more impressed with the gun. Despite the less than familiar feel, the rounds were hitting and things were moving along at a reasonable pace. By the end of the range session, I was convinced that this gun and I had a future together. If only it didn't have SMITH & WESSON in 14 pt font across the slide, it'd look as good as it shoots.

Who knows, maybe it'll take the place of my G19 someday. It definitely feels better than the Glock, and that's half the battle.

What I like:
- interchangable backstraps
- grip angle and length
- the sights fall in line similarly to my 1911 (yay!)
- big stupid magazine floorplate (came in handy when I was practicing shoot-reload-shoots)
- 17 round magazines that you can actually load to 17 (OMG!)

What I don't like:
- magazine safety
- expensive magazines

Subzero,

You owe me a visit to my shop. Bring your M&P with you. I will do a trigger job that will beat anything you can do with a Glock ( Armorer here) and will do a Shark Skin mod on your grip.

Hope all is well with you. Woden says hey.

Harlan

Robb Jensen
12-03-06, 08:19
What I don't like:
- magazine safety
- expensive magazines

They are actually real Novaks made for S&W.
With a trigger job you don't even notice the hinged trigger at all, you'll only feel the very light take up.
The magazine safety is easily removed in less than 5min.

I have four of these damn pistols already and am patiently waiting for the .45ACP version to come out. I handled a prototype but not shot one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/MPpics001.jpg

Sam
12-03-06, 18:02
http://www.hunt101.com/img/454614.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/454613.jpg

Picked it up from the ffl holder this morning. No magazine disconnect, no lock. Put 100 flawless rounds through it, 60 of those rounds in an IDPA match. I took it home, clean and lubed it and I swear I felt the trigger got smoother. The pull is not very light and has long reset but I think I can do fine with it as is. I used a Blade Tech one size fits all glock holster and it fits fine. Notice the trigger guard sticks out past where the trigger guard of the glock would be, there's no problem. I'm very impressed with this little gun. It's a keeper.

SuicideHz
12-03-06, 18:09
so do the pistols that were supposedly LEO that don't have the mag removal disconnector all have that warning on the side?

I suppose I'd be better off to buy one with the safety and remove it...

Sam
12-03-06, 18:11
RSR had these in stock and we ordered it in that configuration.

SuicideHz
12-03-06, 18:18
So that IS why the markings are there. Makes sense.

Budsgunshop.com had them for well under $400 a few weeks ago. Very tempted but my SW1911 is in the shop now. I have told them I will wait to see how they fix it before I purchase any more SWs...

subzero
12-03-06, 19:05
You owe me a visit to my shop. Bring your M&P with you. I will do a trigger job that will beat anything you can do with a Glock ( Armorer here) and will do a Shark Skin mod on your grip.

Harlan, I'm making plans to be up there either this weekend or in two weeks. Either way, you're right, I do owe you a visit.

I took it home, clean and lubed it and I swear I felt the trigger got smoother. The pull is not very light and has long reset but I think I can do fine with it as is.

I had the same impression. In a few hundred rounds, this thing may not even need a trigger job.

But it'll get one anyway :)

matt7184
12-03-06, 20:29
The trigger does get much better with use. I'm still getting a trigger job because I want a shorter reset/overtravel though :D

Robb Jensen
12-03-06, 20:31
The trigger does get much better with use. I'm still getting a trigger job because I want a shorter reset/overtravel though :D

I did my own, right now I can't tell the difference in reset between my M&P9 and my $2500 STI.

9x19
12-03-06, 22:00
Hmm! I thought at least one of them was mine. :eek: Well, I'll let him claim it too, I guess. After all, I got the cool gotm4 trigger job. We REALLY like M&Ps!

matt7184
12-03-06, 23:41
I did my own, right now I can't tell the difference in reset between my M&P9 and my $2500 STI.

That's exactly why I want one done :D

Robb Jensen
12-04-06, 04:34
That's exactly why I want one done :D

Check out www.burwellgunsmithing.com

Robb Jensen
12-04-06, 04:38
Hmm! I thought at least one of them was mine. :eek: Well, I'll let him claim it too, I guess. After all, I got the cool gotm4 trigger job. We REALLY like M&Ps!

Ours, Mine, Yours doesn't really matter since all are really owned by our Revocable Living Trust. :)

Hawkeye
12-04-06, 06:59
I wish you guys would stop with the positive things to say about the M&P, especially the 9. I am happy with my Glocks and dont need to be hearing this. It causes me to have temptations.

Robb Jensen
12-04-06, 07:12
I wish you guys would stop with the positive things to say about the M&P, especially the 9. I am happy with my Glocks and dont need to be hearing this. It causes me to have temptations.

Like Nike adds say "Just do it!" :D

Sam
12-04-06, 07:46
"Friends don't let friends buy glocks" :)

For the longest time I've recommended people to buy grocks, for their simplicity and reliability. But grocks are far from the "perfection" that they claim. They have great customer service and great marketing scheme by putting on the gssf matches to bring all the booger eaters and short bus riders out of the woods to shoot their plastic sensation once a year. All these goobers are mostly first time gun owners and have no clue that there are other guns just as reliable and well made as their austrian koolaide.

Since we now have the M&P American made alternative, there is no need to send money to old gaston. I'm sorry to say that because I know a few people working in Smyrna and they're good people.

M4arc
12-04-06, 09:35
Wow, those are some pretty broad strokes there Sam…

So according to you I’m a first time gun owner, a booger eater and a short bus rider without a clue.

Yet I’m supposed to drop everything and jump on board the M&P train because they are just as reliable? Are you comparing a 20 year track record with one that is 8 months long? If Glocks have been and continue work for me should I shit can them and buy an M&P because of a marketing campaign that you don’t agree with? I guess that means I’m drinking the koolaid as you put it? How much time and money am I going to lose switching platforms? Would that time and money be better spent on more practice and ammo or is it entirely the gun?

Of course, what do I know…apparently I don’t have a clue. Too bad people shouldn’t make decisions based on what has been working for them.

Sam
12-04-06, 09:51
Most of them are booger eaters, short bus riders, etc. There are many level minded glock shooters, I'm sure you belong in that group. I have a first generation g19, I rarely shoot it or carry it, I prefer other platforms such as my new M&P, 1911s, Berettas, J and K frame S&W. I use the g19 when I teach students who shoot glocks.

I shot one gssf match, and was appalled by the level of marksmanship and lack of gunhandling skills of MOST of the crowd. BTW, I have been accused by a trainer most members here are familiar with as being a short bus rider.

M4arc
12-04-06, 10:15
I don't agree with your assessment that MOST GLOCK owners are booger eaters and short bus riders and that only the enlightened own M&Ps but I don't own one yet so I'll have to take your word for it. Eventually more and more people will buy M&Ps so a few booger eaters are bound to find their way into your ranks...what then?

I'm appalled by the level of marksmanship and lack of gun handling skills of just about everyone I come across at the range regardless of what they are shooting. If we could get them all to buy an M&P all would be right with the world, huh? ;)

However, on a more serious note: I would love to try an M&P, I think they have a very good handgun but I'm not ready to sell the farm just yet. First I have no problem shooting Glocks. They have proven themselves very reliable over the years, they are easy to maintain, they seem to work (and point) just fine for me and I have dozens of mags and holster for them. So should I just up and switch? Is the M&P going to make me a better shooter? Is my IPSA classification going to skyrocket? Actually I don't have a classification but you get the point. Should I just switch for the sake of switching or should I stick with what works for me?

Oh, if you do have a real Gen 1 G19 I'd like to buy that piece of shit from you.

SuicideHz
12-04-06, 10:18
Hey- you can't be an elitist-asshole unless you are going to turn this into a 1911 vs. Glock and M&P thread.

Sam
12-04-06, 10:26
We agree to disagree.

M4arc
12-04-06, 10:34
We agree to disagree.

To some extent yes. My posts were filled with a certain level of sarcasm but I'm of the opinion that if someone is a booger eater or short bus rider the manufacture of the handgun has no bearing; they were born like that and they are going to be like that no matter what they shoot.

My offer still stands, I want to buy your Gen 1 G19. That thing sucks and Gaston is a dick so you should sell it to me and buy another M&P ;)

GlockWRX
12-04-06, 11:07
I think the GSSF matches are brilliant.

They may not have the best shooters in the world (although you could be surprised; I saw a guy hobble up to the line with a cane and beat everyone, witha G27!). But it is a great way to introduce people to our sport. There is not much in the way of a learning curve; if you can safely handle a gun you can compete. There is no running around during a stage, or complicated equipment to buy and become familiar with that could intimidate someone. But it is fun, and gets these new shooters out to the range with other shooters and helps to improve their skills. What's wrong with that?

Smith & Wesson should do the exact same thing with the M&P. Every new M&P should come with a free entry permit to a new M&P pistol league. New shooters can compete, have fun, and improve their skills. Plus, they can have a bonus stage for people to try their M&P rifles, and maybe hook them on scary 'assault rifles' too.

They may ride the short bus and eat their own boogers, but for our sport to thrive and grow, and keep from being legislated out of existence, we need them.

Robb Jensen
12-04-06, 11:11
I guess I'm a booger eater too. I still own 7 Glocks and still love them! :D

M4arc
12-04-06, 11:28
I guess I'm a booger eater too. I still own 7 Glocks and still love them! :D

Well then, I don't feel so bad now...I'm in good company :D

matt7184
12-04-06, 14:08
Check out www.burwellgunsmithing.com

Still saving up for Dan to do his work on mine :(

Have the rules changed at all in regards to external modifications (ala stippling)?

Robb Jensen
12-04-06, 20:40
Still saving up for Dan to do his work on mine :(

Have the rules changed at all in regards to external modifications (ala stippling)?

For IDPA SSP division and USPSA Production division the gun must appear to be stock, you can have a different finish, skateboard tape and different sights (post and notch). Stippling will put you in IDPA ESP or USPSA Limited same as checkering that isn't factory.

VA_Dinger
12-04-06, 20:45
Why do Glock guys seem so defensive in M&P threads?

M4arc
12-04-06, 20:53

Geez, I don't know...maybe because we were referred to as booger eaters, short bus riders and first time gun owners. :rolleyes:

So I got about as defensive as you did when someone questioned your Vickers 1911.

Robb Jensen
12-04-06, 20:56

I don't know. I consider myself a 'Glock guy' and I've been shooting Glocks since 1987. I like both and am open minded enough to try new guns, gear, training and theories.

VA_Dinger
12-04-06, 21:11
Geez, I don't know...maybe because we were referred to as booger eaters, short bus riders and first time gun owners. :rolleyes:

So I got about as defensive as you did when someone questioned your Vickers 1911.

I'm not defending Sam's comment. It was "ill advised" at best. I know Sam so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was just a mistake on his part.

Sam at least owns/shoots a Glock.

Making wild statements about a pistol that you have never even seen is a different matter. ;)

Milkman
12-04-06, 22:00
Making wild statements about a pistol that you have never even seen is a different matter. ;)

Fortunately that hasn't happened on this site yet.

Jester
12-09-06, 09:48
Hmm, I finally made it over here.

Gotta tell ya, I have in the short time 10k+ through my earily M&P 40 with no problems.

M4arc
12-09-06, 09:57
Hmm, I finally made it over here.

Gotta tell ya, I have in the short time 10k+ through my earily M&P 40 with no problems.

Welcome Jester!

All - Jester runs http://mp-pistol.com. It's an excellent site for the M&P platform.

Dport
12-09-06, 10:05
Well, I'm not going to get a 9mm M&P, got Glocks that cover that. I have no use for .40, even my G35 has a 9mm barrel. So I guess I'll wait for the .45.

I guess it's a race between the S&W and the FN .45s. Whichever I see at the gunshop first...

SuicideHz
12-09-06, 12:15

No, you didn't even come close and I'm on your side with the Glocks.

SuicideHz
12-09-06, 12:16
FN 45? Based off of the FN P9/M type platform?

Dport
12-09-06, 13:06
FN 45? Based off of the FN P9/M type platform?
Yes. It is supposed to have DAO, DA/SA, and SA variants.

M4arc
12-09-06, 14:42
No, you didn't even come close and I'm on your side with the Glocks.

Careful, I'm extremely impressed with my new M&P :D

trio
12-10-06, 23:54
just to clear one thing up...

I go into VA Arms all the time, and after listening to gotM4 talk about the M&P the way he did I thought I may give it a shot...my G19 pinched the crap out of my fingers (2nd generation, with the moon cut in the bottom, so my pinky would get stuck between the mag and grip)...

at any rate, today I was at the Dale City, VA gun show and one of the dealers had brand new M&Ps in .40 and 9mm for just over 400 bucks so I figured what the heck and bought one in 9mm...havent gotten to shoot it yet, but I love the way it feels in my hand...

but I digress...

I was not aware that there were models with magazine disconnects....

having said that

mine says very clearly in small white letters on the right side of the gun below the ejection port

CAUTION: Capable of firing with the magazine removed

sooo...i hope that clears things up there....i am a civilian and today I bought a 9mm M&P with no magazine disconnect for about $430 after tax and tags...

(I too cannot wait for the .45.... :D )

M4arc
12-11-06, 05:46
Mine doesn't have the magazine either and like yours has the words CAUTION: Capable of firing with the magazine removed. My local shop had mine in stock, I didn't even need to special order it!

Robb Jensen
12-11-06, 06:54
Mine doesn't have the magazine either and like yours has the words CAUTION: Capable of firing with the magazine removed. My local shop had mine in stock, I didn't even need to special order it!

When we have a choice that's the only models we stock. The only one I have that has that make is my M&P9c, I think right now thats the only way to get them.

I've seen an M&P that had that factory engraving and then after the Dan Burwell blasting on the slide, barrel, takedown lever and slide catch. The engraving disappeared. I plan on having a couple of my M&Ps blasted. I'm a big 2 tone fan.

DrMark
12-11-06, 08:28
Guys,

Do your new M&Ps have the key locks?

From following the discussion on 10-8 Forums, it appears that the versions with neither mag safety nor key lock are not restricted.

Finding them, however, may be another matter.

matt7184
12-11-06, 10:14
I haven't seen one with a lock at all.

The no lock, no mags safety (209301 9mm) are plentiful and easy to get. Sames goes for the compact no lock no mag safety.

Robb Jensen
12-11-06, 11:47
Guys,

From following the discussion on 10-8 Forums, it appears that the versions with neither mag safety nor key lock are not restricted.

Nope, never seen one.

M4arc
12-11-06, 13:01
Guys,

Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk is stocking the no mag safety/no key lock models!

Dport
12-11-06, 13:42
Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk is stocking the no mag safety/key lock models!
You are NOT helping me.:mad:

M4arc
12-11-06, 14:06
You are NOT helping me.:mad:

:D

If you want to meet me at Bob's tomorrow afternoon I'll let you shoot mine ;)

Dport
12-11-06, 19:04

If you want to meet me at Bob's tomorrow afternoon I'll let you shoot mine ;)
I don't think I can make it tomorrow, but I do appreciate the offer.

Ass!:p

M4arc
12-11-06, 19:18
I don't think I can make it tomorrow, but I do appreciate the offer.

Ass!:p

Baaaahhhhaaaaaaa!

Well I only work one block from there so it's an open-ended invitation.

mark5pt56
12-11-06, 21:03
M4arc is bringing the crack pipe friday, but he's making me bring the crack!

VA_Dinger
12-16-06, 14:24
I went ahead and picked up a M&P 9mm.

I really wanted to wait until after X-mas, but it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/2006_1216MP9MM0008.jpg

I like the stock sights better than the high dollar Warren Tactical's on my G19.

IMO - I guess I'm not a U-notch sight guy after all.

9x19
12-16-06, 15:28
Congratulations on the new addition! :D

Dport
12-16-06, 17:26
I went ahead and picked up a M&P 9mm.

I really wanted to wait until after X-mas, but it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/2006_1216MP9MM0008.jpg

I like the stock sights better than the high dollar Warren Tactical's on my G19.

IMO - I guess I'm not a U-notch sight guy after all.
Et tu Brute?

M4arc
12-16-06, 17:35
Et tu Brute?

And then there was one...

John_Wayne777
12-16-06, 18:21
Darnit....

I guess I have to get an M&P in 9mm (sans lock and mag safety, of course) and give it a shot.

Rob:

Where's your store located? If it's within driving distance I might just have to come pick one up from you...

M4arc
12-16-06, 18:29
Darnit....

I guess I have to get an M&P in 9mm (sans lock and mag safety, of course) and give it a shot.

Rob:

Where's your store located? If it's within driving distance I might just have to come pick one up from you...

I read today that 70% of the M&Ps being sold are sans lock and mag safety so you'll be in good company :)

Hawkeye
12-16-06, 18:31
You guys are determined to make me get one of these arent you.

Dport
12-16-06, 18:39
And then there was one...

Everytime I think about an M&P, I pick up my Glock and wonder WTH I was thinking.

John_Wayne777
12-16-06, 19:05

Tell me about it. This site has cost me all kinds of $$$.

All kidding aside, I am exceedingly glad to hear that the M&P is turning out to be a decent platform. I handled one right after it was introduced and I was pleased with the feel and overall quality of the weapon and thought Smith was at least on the right track.

It's nice to hear that they are proving to be reliable enough to consider as a duty/concealed carry weapon.

I am going to obtain a 9mm version soon and if that works out well, I will pick up one of the .45 ACP versions when they hit the streets.

The attraction of the M&P to me from the very start has been that the M&P reminded me of the best Glock I ever had the chance to use: A Robar-ized G21. It still had the regulation staplegun-like trigger, but the owner (an Anchorage PD officer) had put better sights on the weapon. It didn't eat my hand like every other Glock does, and the revisions to the grip made it much easier to shoot well for me.

When I first saw the M&P my hope was that it was going to have all the good points of the Glock platform without any of the drawbacks (poor sights, poor trigger) or blood spilling ergonomic problems that the Glock platform caused me.

If I can get the same reliablity and ease of use out of an M&P that I get from my pet 1911, I will be a very happy man. I don't really want to spend 1500 dollars on a carry gun, but thusfar I have yet to find any other weapon that makes it as easy to put a bullet right where I want it in a hurry and that I can trust to function every time it is needed.

Hawkeye
12-16-06, 20:04
If you dont mind me asking, what are you guys finding them for price wise?

M4arc
12-16-06, 20:08

I didn't get the deal that Dinger did...

I paid $526 out the door for mine and that includes a year membership to the indoor range which is one block from my office! Can you guess where I'll be after work? Mine came without the internal lock and magazine safety and they had it in stock, I did not need to order it.

VA_Dinger
12-16-06, 20:21

I got mine from a friend.

He got it from Buds Gunshop and never got the time to put a single round through it.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

It would be tough to beat their prices.

VA_Dinger
12-16-06, 20:23
Et tu Brute?

Yep, I gave up fighting it and just bought one.

So far, I love it.

Trust me my friend so will you.

DrMark
12-16-06, 21:23

No kidding.

The peer pressure is wearing down my resolve!

9x19
12-16-06, 22:34
Darnit....

Rob:

Robb works at Virginia Arms in Manassas, and I heard that they just got some M&Ps in within the last couple of days.

http://www.virginiaarms.com/va_location.html