PDA

View Full Version : Buffer tube issues

emersondm16
07-12-14, 20:51
When I got home from school this summer, I went to work assembling my rifle that I have been buying parts for throughout the school year. I had it essentially finished and I went to put on my B5 stock which is in spec and found that it was loose on my buffer tube. It is in no danger of sliding out of its position but it shakes around on the tube itself. I know the milspec standard for the buffer tube diameter is 1.148 inches. I measured my buffer tube and it was 1.143 at its widest. I got the tube from a reputable online dealer that will remain anonymous, so I emailed them and asked for a replacement. I received it today and tried the stock with it. Same issue, no danger of coming un-locked but it had very noticeable play on the tube. I know that my b5 stock is in spec because I have tried it on multiple other rifles and it fits well. Am I just being a perfectionist or am in the right to be a little picky about a rifle that I have invested much of my time and money into? Thanks.

NetJunkie
07-12-14, 20:55
Sometimes stocks are loose. Just the way it is.

firefighter37
07-12-14, 21:02
Order a BCM or LMT buffer tube. I have had good luck with both and my B5 stocks. Or you could order the Vltor A5 system... Just a thought

emersondm16
07-12-14, 21:12
That was my original thought, so I went ahead and got a second B5 stock. Same issue.

ScatmanCrothers
07-12-14, 21:17
It's a non-issue, just an imperfect system in a imperfect world. Enjoy your newly built rattle trap because even if you did "fix" it your attention would just shift to the buffer weight's shifting rattle, or your upper/lower rattle, or the shit stuffed in your stock/grip rattle, or your loose mag rattle, or your sling's connector rattle, or...

discreet
07-13-14, 00:15
Some companies actually oversize their milspec receiver extensions to make a tight fit. Some companies make their stocks smaller ID to make a tight fit. My MFT stock on a Brownells receiver extension is tight as hell. I've had CTR stocks wobble on Vltor tubes, and even on a V7 Tube. Reason I love the MFT's design, as the non round shape is inheritantly (spelling) tighter. It in reality is the same ordeal as receiver wobble. You can spend much time and money until you find a perfect match, with no play etc with parts, and many times still not find a perfect match. And trust me, it's not your extension thats bad, nor the stock, it's just the reality of a slight variance in sizing between companies. If you think buying an expensive extension will solve the issue, you will probably be let down.

ggammell
07-13-14, 06:03
I always understood it that then B5 stocks are going to be a little loose compared to the CTR but tighter than the standard mil stock.

discreet
07-13-14, 10:29
I always understood it that then B5 stocks are going to be a little loose compared to the CTR but tighter than the standard mil stock.

Again, it depends on the receiver extension it's on. Most companies don't stick with the true "milspec" diameter, especially if it's a 6061 tube.

lahunter57
07-13-14, 10:30
I've got 2 B5's both on Rainier RE's and they are a pretty tight fit. That would aggravate the heck out of me having it really wobbly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artiz
07-13-14, 19:57
I didn't know you could hear a stock rattle over gunshots...

theGOLDENchild
07-13-14, 20:38
Both my B5 Bravo stock were like that. I just warmed them up with a heat gun and squeezed them a bit in a vice. That snugged them right up.

NeoNeanderthal
07-13-14, 23:24
i throw 2 strips of black electrical tape on my buffer tube, one on each side. It snugs up the stock. Make sure you use good tape and degrease the tube first.

Shao
07-14-14, 07:13
I second the BCM/LMT RE suggestion. 3 of my rifles wear B5 Bravos, all are on BCM or LMT REs and all three are TIGHT. I'm 99% certain that it's your RE.

bruin
07-14-14, 10:39
Out of spec tubes do get out, even from reputable companies. Vltor replaced an early A5 tube that was measurably smaller than a recent A5 I bought.

A variation on the tape trick: use a strip of Velcro loop tape. Buy a commercial grade with acrylic adhesive rated for high temps.

3 AE
07-15-14, 02:06
It's a non-issue, just an imperfect system in a imperfect world. Enjoy your newly built rattle trap because even if you did "fix" it your attention would just shift to the buffer weight's shifting rattle, or your upper/lower rattle, or the shit stuffed in your stock/grip rattle, or your loose mag rattle, or your sling's connector rattle, or...

That hit the nail on the head! Just shoot it. Does Point of Impact coincide with Point of Aim? If so, carry on!

BTL BRN
07-15-14, 10:20
The B5 Bravo rattles a bit on my VLTOR tube; all others are B5 SOPMODs and are very tight initially followed up by a nice lock-up. Can't say when shouldered that it's any sort of issue.