PDA

View Full Version : Great Service From Glock

FlyingHunter
07-13-14, 07:30
So my family was competing in the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation match this weekend. Great fun by all and a well run match. I saw a few official Glock Armorers at a table and had a quick question about my pistol. So, I ask them about spring replacement at various round counts and suggested my Glock had probably exceeded those round counts but ran just fine...what are your recommendations?

He proceeds to strip my Glock completely apart, thoroughly clean it, reaches into a box and replaces every spring in the gun, then test fires the gun 10 rounds using his ammo (he insisted on using his ammo). He hands it back to me and says "Thanks for being a Glock customer" - no charge.

Professional,polite, and exceeding expectations...Well done Glock!

Scarhead
07-13-14, 09:07
That's really cool. I had a similar interaction with Glock a few months ago at a trade show, but it didn't go quite as smoothly. At first, the two guys were really standoff-ish. Granted, it was an hour or so before the end of the day, so they were probably tired and wanted to wrap up the day, but they didn't seem like they wanted to talk. This was at first and after they realized that I somewhat knew what I was talking about the two of them became friendlier. In the end, one of the guys helped me with what I was looking for. These company reps no doubt get inundated with know-it-alls and "been there done that" types so it probably gets old for them quickly. I'm glad you and your family had a great experience and enjoyed the match.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-13-14, 09:26
That is the way to do it. Service like that goes a long way towards cementing a loyal customer base.

ptmccain
07-13-14, 10:25
So what are the round count replacement recommendation for the Glock's springs?

JW5219
07-13-14, 11:04
So what are the round count replacement recommendation for the Glock's springs?

+1 I am interested in these numbers also.

demkofour
07-13-14, 14:12
I'm sorry for the hijack, but related to where this thread is going, does anyone have a listing and/or a source (other than GLOCK itself...) for the updated factory parts (current extractor with correct springs/plungers, updated ejector, correct recoil spring assembly) for Gen3 and Gen4 for 9mm and .40 pistols?
I know I saw this info somewhere here on M4C a while back, but my searches have come up empty.
Thanks, and again, sorry for the hijack.

FlyingHunter
07-13-14, 16:01
Good question:

I had heard 2500-3000 rounds for recoil spring assembly and all springs around 5000-6000rds from a glock armorer while attending one my pistol instructor re-certification classes. I honestly don't know if there is an official answer. I should have asked while that guy was in front of me.

I did find this quote while searching for an answer from the Glock Doc website: http://theglockdoc.com/Glock_Maintenance.html

From the article:

"In 2008 while attending the GLOCK recertification course, that advice changed. That instructor said that the “recoil spring assembly” should be changed every 3,000 rounds to prevent damage to the gun and assure reliability."

JHC
07-13-14, 16:49
So my family was competing in the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation match this weekend. Great fun by all and a well run match. I saw a few official Glock Armorers at a table and had a quick question about my pistol. So, I ask them about spring replacement at various round counts and suggested my Glock had probably exceeded those round counts but ran just fine...what are your recommendations?

He proceeds to strip my Glock completely apart, thoroughly clean it, reaches into a box and replaces every spring in the gun, then test fires the gun 10 rounds using his ammo (he insisted on using his ammo). He hands it back to me and says "Thanks for being a Glock customer" - no charge.

I was there today too and got a couple of guns tuned up with the free "inspect and upgrade" treatment. Shooting the breeze with those techs is my favorite part of a GSSF match. You can get the same deal from the Smyrna plant any day of the week; walk up.

Heavy Metal
07-13-14, 18:03
Good question:

I had heard 2500-3000 rounds for recoil spring assembly and all springs around 5000-6000rds from a glock armorer while attending one my pistol instructor re-certification classes. I honestly don't know if there is an official answer. I should have asked while that guy was in front of me.

I did find this quote while searching for an answer from the Glock Doc website: http://theglockdoc.com/Glock_Maintenance.html

From the article:

"In 2008 while attending the GLOCK recertification course, that advice changed. That instructor said that the “recoil spring assembly” should be changed every 3,000 rounds to prevent damage to the gun and assure reliability."

Recoil spring replacement interval is longer on the
Gen 4.

Truthfully, I think you are ok going up to 5,000 on the Gen 3 and earlier single-spring 9mm models, The Gen 3 single-spring .40s and 357sigs should be replaced more aggressively, especially on the compact frame models like the Gen 3 23 and the IIRC, 32 respectively., I would go 2,000 rounds on those.

mudshark100
07-13-14, 19:12
I was there today too and got a couple of guns tuned up with the free "inspect and upgrade" treatment. Shooting the breeze with those techs is my favorite part of a GSSF match. You can get the same deal from the Smyrna plant any day of the week; walk up.
I've stopped by Smyrna on a couple of occasions and had their armorers inspect my Glocks. In each case, they thoroughly inspected them, replaced worn parts, and replaced springs in all of my magazines (last time I had 15 magazines with me). They seemed happy to do it and no charge. They are just 5 minutes from I-285. Each time took less than an hour total time including time to check in at the guard shack.

ST911
07-14-14, 16:53
AAR: Glock Armorer Course (03/2013)
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?126861-AAR-Glock-Armorer-Course-(03-2013)

Replace gen3 and earlier RSAs at 2500 rounds. Replace gen4 RSAs at 5000.

SeriousStudent
07-14-14, 19:05
AAR: Glock Armorer Course (03/2013)
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?126861-AAR-Glock-Armorer-Course-(03-2013)

This advice is still current as of Tuesday. It matches what I was told last week in a Glock Armorer class.

They also had the info for the G42 in the new manual we got, BTW.

weggy
07-14-14, 19:59
That is the way to do it. Service like that goes a long way towards cementing a loyal customer base.

Somebody tell that to Remington!!!

PLCedeno
07-15-14, 12:43
Interestingly, my overall experience with Glock at GSSF has been the same as the OP. However, at the match in Jackson, NJ a couple of weeks ago the armorer (coincidentally the assistant to the armorer at my re-certification class) refused to change the RSA on my wife's G19. I told him there were over 3k rounds through it. He did a function check and said the RSA was fine. I told him I was also an armorer and knew of the test but that the round count should dominate. No go. He also removed the grip plug because it was not OEM. Knowing we would be at another GSSF match in August, I left it alone. It was father's day and not in the mood for further frustration. My wife and I use these matches as a means of bonding, traveling around the country and keeping our skills sharp in between IDPA. I could not figure out his motivation considering Glock sends parts to the matches by the box load for free.

In contrast, at the match in Salt Lake City, a few months ago, the armorer was two hours late and a line began to form. I let the organizers know I was an armorer and could lend a hand. I worked on guns for an hour. When the official armorer showed up he said thank you and invited me to take whatever I wanted from the four boxes of parts sent by Glock. I took an RSA for my G17. If I had judged Glock based on one bad experience I would have been terribly wrong.

Heavy Metal
07-16-14, 09:08
I doubt a grip plug violates GSSF rules. What an ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Talon167
07-16-14, 10:35
So he replaced some springs for you? BORING! I was at a class and a Glock rep showed up... and brought a G18 & some 33 round mags with him. Got to mark "shoot a G18" off my bucket list. That was awesome!

glockmpw
07-16-14, 12:11
I doubt a grip plug violates GSSF rules. What an ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Seriously! It's know-it-alls like that which can spoil an otherwise wonderful day. An ambassador like that can do more harm than good. I have yet to try a GSSF match but hope my experience matches the OP's.

PLCedeno
07-16-14, 13:12
Seriously! It's know-it-alls like that which can spoil an otherwise wonderful day. An ambassador like that can do more harm than good. I have yet to try a GSSF match but hope my experience matches the OP's.
Statistically it will. Been shooting GSSF for the last 15 years and this was the first and only time I had to deal with this.

Straight Shooter
07-16-14, 17:55
Flying Hunter-
I agree brother..that was COOL of the rep to do that! How did yall do at the shoot?
Also, your thread brought up something Ive been meaning to ask here, if I may now in this thread.
Ive got 3 of the old AWB mags marked LEO USE ONLY or whatever they say. Been used by me and others a ton. Would Glock replace these with new mags or rebuild them if asked? They are G21 mags fwiw.
FH-GLAD you had fun at the match!!

gtboy2k
07-16-14, 18:37

Makes me proud to own a G17.

JHC
07-16-14, 18:45
Flying Hunter-
I agree brother..that was COOL of the rep to do that! How did yall do at the shoot?
Also, your thread brought up something Ive been meaning to ask here, if I may now in this thread.
Ive got 3 of the old AWB mags marked LEO USE ONLY or whatever they say. Been used by me and others a ton. Would Glock replace these with new mags or rebuild them if asked? They are G21 mags fwiw.
FH-GLAD you had fun at the match!!

I doubt they'd replace them but while I was hanging around the factory techs at the Dawsonville GSSF this weekend they rebuilt a few mags for a guy that brought old ones up. YMMV.

SaintMike49
07-25-14, 22:38
Glock recommends that you change out a Gen 3 guide rod and recoil spring assembly after 2,500 rounds. Gen 4's are recommended to be changed after 5,000 rounds.

Some people argue with a .357 or .40SW you should changed them out earlier. I run a G22 at my department and haven't had any issues at 3,000+ rounds; the gun still passes all functions checks.

JHC
07-26-14, 20:32
The Gen 4 recommendation is extraordinarily conservative. Our "test bed" Gen 4 G17, an early 2010 gun with its original unmarked RSA is closing in on 12K rounds. Feels as heavy as new more or less. Gun runs like crazy.

Heavy Metal
07-26-14, 20:35
Glock recommends that you change out a Gen 3 guide rod and recoil spring assembly after 2,500 rounds. Gen 4's are recommended to be changed after 5,000 rounds.

Some people argue with a .357 or .40SW you should changed them out earlier. I run a G22 at my department and haven't had any issues at 3,000+ rounds; the gun still passes all functions checks.

But is it beating you your locking block?