PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't ATACS camo more popular?

1911-A1
07-13-14, 13:28
ATACS seems to be a great concept for camo, but I never see it offered on gear. Is there a reason why? I see Kryptek all over the place, but I think that's largely based on its Gucci factor, not due to it being a superior pattern.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr4tp8IxUM1qiz36go1_1280.jpg

kenny256
07-13-14, 15:47
I see it for gear all the time....I have some

09fatbob
07-13-14, 17:31
Absolutely love mine and it works great, love o d and gray too

RWCRaiden
07-14-14, 14:14
So far the ATACS is only offered in 3 patterns that I know of. I've seen the AU and FG offered for gear, and seen it used in the field, but it hasn't impressed me with breaking up the pattern and blending in. The kryptek is total garbage though. You stick out real bad with that stuff. And it's super expensive. Mix tans and greens, IMO.

markm
07-14-14, 14:32
ATACS is my camo choice. I don't run much camo, but that's the one I do run.

I'm trying to figger out what the fork this Kryptek whatever is supposed to be. Camo for comic book collectors? Or swamp people? WTF?

soulezoo
07-14-14, 15:32
A self admitted camo whore here.

I don't know why it isn't more popular except there are so many camo choices now it tends to dilute the pond so to speak.

I really like the ATACS AU for high elevations where granite outcroppings are common (I live in the Sierras) and wear it hunting or hiking in Desolation (Rubicon) Area. For most other, I've gravitated toward multicam because of availability and general effectiveness all around. The FG (I don't have any) looks to be effective in other "very green" environs.

hogfan1911
07-14-14, 17:03
I've wondered the same thing. The FG version looks like it would be an excellent "general purpose" pattern for most anywhere in the eastern half of the U.S., as well as the Pacific Northwest.

Benito
07-14-14, 22:14

I'm trying to figger out what the fork this Kryptek whatever is supposed to be. Camo for comic book collectors? Or swamp people? WTF?

LOL. Couldn't have said it better myself.
I like ATACS-FG more than any other camo, but due to gear availability most of my stuff is MultiCam.

Endur
07-15-14, 01:34
If I had to pick a camo it would be ATACS over the rest, with US4CES & Multicam and their variants next in line. I am not big on camo so I stick to coyote and ranger green.

trackmagic
07-15-14, 01:54
I have some MC gear, but my buddy has some ATACS FG. I think his gear blends in better in the Pacific NW.

GTF425
07-15-14, 02:12
It isn't as prevalent as Multicam or other widely used camos because exactly that. It isn't widely used. Nobody in the US Mil is running ATACS and I don't know of any Law Enforcement Agencies using it, either. It wouldn't be very cost effective to manufacture equipment in a niche pattern.

Personally, if I were to want ATACS, I'd just buy tops/bottoms and have all my PPE be a solid color, either Ranger Green or Coyote Brown depending on if I were running the FG or AU.

Endur
07-16-14, 02:42
Personally, if I were to want ATACS, I'd just buy tops/bottoms and have all my PPE be a solid color, either Ranger Green or Coyote Brown depending on if I were running the FG or AU.

This would be the way to go; with any camo really. Unless you are in a large HSLD unit or something, it makes much more sense run gear in a solid color that works most anywhere (Coyote & RG can't be beat in that regard, check Guy's tests) and have different uniforms for different environments. If you really need to, get some over whites for winter depending on your geographical location and call it a day. Or you could just run around in a ghillie suit and scream at people pretending to be a swamp monster. Whatever works.

markm
07-16-14, 08:28
I honestly think ATACS modest popularity is it's LACK of POP. No shit! If it's not eye catching, the look at me syndrome crowd won't buy it.

Now that goofy ass Kryptek will probably be a HUGE seller.

soulezoo
07-16-14, 08:31
I honestly think ATACS modest popularity is it's LACK of POP. No shit! If it's not eye catching, the look at me syndrome crowd won't buy it.

Thank you for the morning laugh... You are on to something there.

Koshinn
07-16-14, 14:22
I was thinking about this the other day... I think atacs doesn't have enough contrast to break up outlines. This is more important in the woods than it is in the desert. Atacs desert is probably great.

Basically, I feel that atacs blends into a solid color too quickly at distance.

Maybe it doesn't though. I don't have any atacs.

markm
07-16-14, 14:47
ATACS is great in the desert. Better than the old Mil 3 color desert camo... But really.. anything TAN/FDE/COYOTE is pretty good, and most of the time I just wear tan/khaki, but the ATACS takes you from low vis into a more pro active camo direction.

Endur
07-16-14, 22:54

This.

Personally, I think ATACS is the best looking camo but unless it looks like it came from COD then it isn't for the "cool guys".

GTF425
07-17-14, 08:29
I learned a while ago it's your movement that'll give you away long before your camo will. Unless you're a sniper moving into your FFP, I personally don't think it's as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. Multicam, ATACS, Kryptek, whatever...if you don't know how to plan a route and move, it won't matter. As for breaking up your outline to make you a harder target...the dudes we've been shooting at over here like to either wear all brown or woodland camo jackets. It works well even though they aren't in the latest "flavor of the week" camo. It's the same concept as painting rifles/kit: just stick with earth tones (green/tan/brown) and you're golden in my opinion.

Buy what you like and don't sweat it. If you're happy and it meets your needs, that's all that matters.

GTF425
07-17-14, 08:33
Or you could just run around in a ghillie suit and scream at people pretending to be a swamp monster.

This reminds me of someone I know who hid in Area J in his ghillie suit and ambushed POG units running the firebreaks for PT. It was pretty funny until he decided to grab one of their guidons and beat feet into the woods. Then it was hysterical.

markm
07-17-14, 08:35
I learned a while ago it's your movement that'll give you away long before your camo will.

True. Nothing catches the eye out in the sticks quicker than an object moving.

Alpha-17
07-17-14, 14:48
I'm a camo/gear whore, but I've never seen the appeal of ATACS. The FG is interesting, but the arid just reminds me of ACUs/UCP, and I have enough of that to last a lifetime. I also don't have much of a need for that dedicated of a pattern in my AO. MultiCam works best, with something a little more "green" for spring/early summer use.

markm
07-17-14, 14:53
Yeah... if you already have stuff in the Desert colors, no need to pay for something moderately different.

Endur
07-17-14, 21:18
This reminds me of someone I know who hid in Area J in his ghillie suit and ambushed POG units running the firebreaks for PT. It was pretty funny until he decided to grab one of their guidons and beat feet into the woods. Then it was hysterical.

Out-f**king-standing, haha.

Caduceus
07-17-14, 21:42
My neighbor has some FG pants he wears around the house. It looks pretty much like the camo ponchos that were worn on Return Of The Jedi .... Looks great, but in life it's just a muddled green/brown pattern. Sort of like I'd expect BDU's to look after a week in the field.

I think someone was right - it's just too blended. Sort of how the desert MARPAT kind of looks a uniform tan at a distance, I think this just turns to a blob after a few dozen yards.

HuntingTime
08-23-14, 19:50
Seems popular enough given the competition out there with MultiCam and Kryptek, not to mention all of the hunter camo out there. Perhaps if you saw more photos out there it would pick up more steam.

TehLlama
08-23-14, 20:03
Out where I ride my mountain bike, it works really well at blending in, my Grey Ghost pack in ATACS blends in fabulously, which makes it all the more ridiculous I'm riding around on a bright red bike, cheap goodwill sourced t-shirts, and gucci-ass WileyX operator gloves.

In practical terms, wearing coyote equipment over tan normal people clothing would be equally or more effective in most cases, it's at least a functional pattern in an actually outdoor environment (saying it's a better camouflage than ACU pattern is basically the tactical forum equivalent of declaring some movie is 'still a better love story than Twilight', to be honest), but since it hasn't caught on it only makes sense for a true desert dweller who still needs camouflage. It doesn't really work that great as a break-up pattern for all the reasons mentioned above, it just is in the absolute correct palette for areas like where I live.

RWCRaiden
08-25-14, 17:34
I'd like to see comparisons between the ATACS fg and AU and the new Multicam Arid and Tropic.

bubba04
08-25-14, 20:16

Cause it's tacticool, yo.

RWCRaiden
08-27-14, 17:08
Cause it's tacticool, yo.

It'll help you blend with snakes I guess.

bubba04
08-27-14, 19:33
It'll help you blend with snakes I guess.

perfect for snake wrestling.

i do like atacs cammo though.

RWCRaiden
08-28-14, 16:08
perfect for snake wrestling.

i do like atacs cammo though.

I try to stay as far away from snakes as possible. I hate those things.

soulezoo
08-28-14, 16:13
I try to stay as far away from snakes as possible. I hate those things.

You and Indiana Jones!

Turnkey11
08-30-14, 23:00
I'd like to try some of the desert ATACS in the wintertime here, when the crops are down and everything is tan and dead. I'm not gonna ditch multicam/mtp, but it looks like it would work well for shooting critters under daylight.

Dabster
08-30-14, 23:58
I, for one, don't care about its popularity. I was able to buy all I'll need for several years, it works beautifully everywhere I've used it and I hope something better is available when my current set wears out.

St.Michael
09-02-14, 14:10

LOL for fighting batman!

RWCRaiden
09-03-14, 14:47
You and Indiana Jones!

Haha, yeah, don't judge.

I've seen some side by side comparisons of ATACS and multicam. It really depends on the environment. Some places in the woods the multicam is better, but 20 feet away, atacs could blend better.

It's always the movement that gives you away.

Jim D
09-05-14, 13:41
I like the AU pattern a lot. I actually did my rifles trying to match it. It's a lot easier to try to match ATACS yourself than MultiCam. A little patience and a sponge goes a long way.

The one problem I see with it is that because of it's lack of popularity, few stores stock items in it. It's still a licensed pattern so there is a premium for it, but it doesn't have the draw that MC has for retailers to confidently stock it.

RWCRaiden
09-06-14, 10:17
I like the AU pattern a lot. I actually did my rifles trying to match it. It's a lot easier to try to match ATACS yourself than MultiCam. A little patience and a sponge goes a long way.

The one problem I see with it is that because of it's lack of popularity, few stores stock items in it. It's still a licensed pattern so there is a premium for it, but it doesn't have the draw that MC has for retailers to confidently stock it.

Crye knows how to market. If ATACS were attached to say a certain spec ops group that shares a name with an aquatic mammal, then I'm sure it'd be selling like hot cakes.

Slab
09-12-14, 19:07
Crye knows how to market. If ATACS were attached to say a certain spec ops group that shares a name with an aquatic mammal, then I'm sure it'd be selling like hot cakes.

Not sure how effective an Orca pattern would be...:)

Dabster
09-13-14, 18:45
Not sure how effective an Orca pattern would be...:)

It certainly works for the orca.

However, I think he was referring to The Otters. I can see it: "Otter be somewhere else? Wear ATAC-S!!"

Edit to ask... Was he implying that a genuine military organization uses ATAC? That would be interesting.

HuntingTime
09-15-14, 10:03
Edit to ask... Was he implying that a genuine military organization uses ATAC? That would be interesting.[/QUOTE]

Seen some photos of use in Ukraine on both sides of the aisle. Aussies too.

Wildman5427
10-31-14, 08:40
I agree. I think ATACS AU and FG patterns are some of the best patterns around. Wilde Built Tactical Nylon Fabrication makes a ton of custom gear, and carries both ATACS AU and FG. LEO owned on 100% American made. www.wildebuilttactical.com

Voodoochild
10-31-14, 08:45
Wildman you need to see the forum rules about advertising on here.