PDA

View Full Version : To get/not get a KAC SR15 M4?

sff70
06-09-08, 16:00
I have an opportunity to obtain a SR15, similar to the model about 1/2 way down the page at this link:

http://www.hdps.org/htm/2-1-1.htm

I don't know much about KAC AR15s, (used the search, didn't find much info on them), and they aren't on "the chart".

Looking for reasons to buy it, or not buy it.

5pins
06-09-08, 16:16
Well for one thing it says it’s sold, and it looks a little over priced.

razors
06-09-08, 16:24
Well for one thing it says it’s sold, and it looks a little over priced.

I think he means he has the chance to purchase one like the one on that page...not that exact rifle.

stf70...If you have the funds then by all means...it will def hold its value.

jets4321
06-09-08, 16:31
LOL "This is the Cadillac of M4's".

Ok any way it really depends on what you want it for. Do you want a user and abuser or a pretty safe queen to take out and show friends (be sure to leave on the price tag though). If you want a user I say take the money and spend it on something that cost less but is just as good if not better.(LMT, Colt, Noveske and so on). But if you want something unique and have the cash than by all means enjoy. Good luck :)

sff70
06-09-08, 16:59
Guy I know has a KAC similar to the one in the link.

I have 2 Colt 6920s and and a LMT, so I'm don't want to take step down, just want to know how KAC compares.

Thanks.

256M-S
06-11-08, 11:42
In the For What It's Worth Department, I've had a Knight Stoner SR-15 for about three years. For a number of reasons, I eliminated the para-military weapons from my personal battery several years earlier. As usual when one sells or trades a piece, I decided to replace it and it cost me twice the price I'd paid for the original Colts.

I managed to pick up the Knight-Stoner LNIB for less than current market price on the current Colts at which I was looking and have been quite pleased with it. It's reliable, accurate, and cosmetically attractive for what that's worth. It's trigger is excellent and is as good as my current Colt to which I had to add a Jewell trigger to make use of the accuracy of which it is capable. I've only run about 2800 rounds thru the Knight Stoner which is around half of what have gone thru the Colt which I picked up about 8 months later. I don't run 2d rate ammo thru either and neither the Colt nor K-S have had a bobble not attributed to VERY old GI mags which are now relegated to malfunction manipulation mags only. My recently acquired LM&T has proved equally reliable.

I'd considered replacing the A-2 stock (with a stock extension to add a KAC side mounted sling swivel) with an LM&T SOPMOD. Currently as a 4th AR, I'm thinking in terms of either maintain the A2 stock or replacing it with a Magpul PRS I have on hand and then scoping it for use as a coyote rifle. Right now, as with my other AR's the only real bolt on kit (other than LaRue aperture sights are sling swivels and a light and optical sight)

I wouldn't personally pay a "collector's price" for a Knight Stoner, but since I didn't, I'm pleased with mine by any criteria that I can set for an AR. I believe you'd be pleased with an un-fook'd with SR-15 but be advised the originals generally had the A-2 stock and a dummy Flash Suppressor both of which you may want to replace depending on your needs. Remembering the original telescoping stocks on the Colt's Commando and XM1177E2, I was happy to have the fixed conventional stock, but that's less significant with the improvements fairly recently made in telescoping sights. (And, by the way, my Commando in SEA had a fixed '16 butt stock on it by choice).

Just my limited experience. Hope it's helpful. Don't believe you'd be displeased and if it's not abused and the price is right, you should be able to sell it for a profit or at least break even down the pike a way if you should need to get rid of it---assuming, of course, the DimLibs don't make all such evil black rifles illegal. I don't buy weapons to resell, but it's nice to know you've bought one that will appreciate should you need to move it to acquire something else later.

Cheers

30 cal slut
06-11-08, 16:41
i wasn't really happy with mine, to tell you the truth.

i had an SR15 "M4" model that $hit the bed during my last LAV class (consistent FTF with less than full mags). Cumulative round count: 1,000+.

one of the instructors opined that KAC's are "junk."

yes they are pretty. yes they have nice triggers, and are accurate when they are working.

are they reliable?

not in my experience.

are they overpriced? yes.

how is their customer service? try calling them up on the phone.

256M-S
06-11-08, 17:27
Have to agree with the previous post from 30 Cal Slut that Customer service for KAC is perhaps a point or two below that of H&K which along with JAC is close to minimal. . . . and I have spoken on the phone occasionally without much effect.

Am interested in your cmts, 30 Cal Slut, about the functionality of the K-S pieces. I must say, the folks I know who own them don't shoot them--but do point to them a lot. Haven't run my SR-15 thru any high round count multiple day exercises. So I couldn't say about that or with partial mags. On the other hand, I've seen a heap of weapons of so called Tier 1 fail for various reasons--like with most problems with quality weapons, mostly operator headspace, though I certainly don't mean to infer or imply that in relation to the last post.

As I have my SR-15 configured, it's just not my choice for a weapon to take to courses with such folks as Gonzales, Vickers, or SGM Lamb. Nor would I suggest that my piece is representative of all SR-15's. One weapon just ain't enough to judge a broad product line, though some of the clones out there surely do give a fair indicator of performance from a visual inspection.

And I must say I don't range fire with bursts of a magazine. Tend to use full magazines of 20 or 30 rds depending on what I'm doing and my magazines are all H&K, Colt, or Military Issue.

Just trying to get the post back around to the original poster's question and I'm pleased with my SR-15, but I use my Colts in high round count classes more based on configuration than any inherent distrust of the SR-15. As I said, I wouldn't pay a collector's premium for the KAC piece. . . and I surely should have said that I wouldn't want to use it where I needed KAC service support. That being said, I don't go to Colt either for Colt parts or I'd have several pencil barrel flat top Colts instead of a mix of marques.

Sorry yours didn't work out, 30 Cal Slut. Mine is a charmer on the range and in the hunting woods and see no reason why it should fail in the field with good magazines and run wet. You're the first person I've heard describe the old SR 15's as junk--overpriced, yes; minimal customer support, surely. Like mine a lot, but then I positing its role as a coyote rifle more than anything else.

Cheers.