PDA

View Full Version : police trade in G19 = 3 different serial#

Tomahawk_Ghost
07-14-14, 15:45
Bought a G19 online and the gun I received had 3 different serial# on the frame, slide, and barrel. Not only that it turns out those numbers were the replacement numbers. All three parts had been replaced by Glock. Meprolight sights are good and bright. The seller offers a 3 day non firing inspection. Got it boxed up to send it back. Am I overreacting or is this a problem child I probably need to send back? Frame starts with G19 as a serial #.

After shipping paid $408. Bought an used one because I wanted to remove the finger grooves and texture the grip.

SpankMonkey
07-14-14, 15:49
how much?

Edit: Bullets don't care about matching numbers. If all the parts are new the only problem is your OCD.

But just send it back. You know you want to.

Voodoo_Man
07-14-14, 17:03
Its an ocd thing. legally gun is fine.

If it

walker2713
07-14-14, 19:41
I've had a Gen2 Glock 19 for 10 plus years....probably my favorite out of a family of ten....and the frame s/n is different from the barrel/slide s/n. As VM said, it's an OCD thing.....

If it's in overall good shape, shoots good, and you bought it at what you thought was a good price, I'd say stick with it.....just shoot the hell out of it!!! :cool:

One of the great things about Glocks is how easy and inexpensive it is to replace parts.

Best,

George

Vandal
07-14-14, 20:32
My issued G21 SF has 2 serial numbers on it and runs just fine. Go shoot it.

HackerF15E
07-15-14, 01:32
Over-reacting.

C'mon, really? Sending it back because all of the parts are not original to the gun? Are you going to actually use this Glock, or is it going to be a collector's item?

If you are planning on actually shooting it, then all that matters is it's functionality and ability to put a projectile where you aim.

MegademiC
07-15-14, 05:35
Hopefully someone who knows can weigh in on this, but wouldn't just about every police trade-in be like that due to PMs? I don't know about the slide, but I would think the barrel would be replaced after so many years. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ak44
07-15-14, 05:52
Send it back and get a gun that you like with matching serial numbers you like. It's your money, why shouldn't you get something you want?

glockmpw
07-16-14, 21:23
My main concern is that this set of numbers likely indicates the gun was used hard, likely a high round count. I would be leery about taking on that kind of unknown for the price you quoted. Around our LGS here, used older Glocks fetch about $400-450 with original box and two mags, and those are matching with low to moderate holster wear. Sounds like a gun I would expect to come in around $350 given condition.

whatthepuck
07-16-14, 21:50
Guessing you bought that gun from summit gun broker. I recently bought a gen 3 g19 from mark too. Mine has a matching serial on the barrel and frame, but the slide serial starts with a single "S" I believe and the last 3 numbers of the frame serial is etched on the slide, so I know the slide has been replaced. Mine has most def been loved. I've never seen that much wear on a glock barrel.

Know what...that thing is a great shooter, 120rds through it so far and it punches out the center of targets quite well enough for me. The well worn in trigger is better than any of my gen 4s. I'll just be replacing the rsa, slide stop and mag spring catch, then more blasting away. I knew it wasn't going to be a looker, and yeah, I'd like the serial #s to all match, but it's a beater glock for me , aesthetics really don't matter, function only...

kevN
07-22-14, 22:06
I wouldn't worry about mismatched serials on any gun I was sure I was going to keep. It will reduce the resale value however, so I'd generally try to get a discount on purchasing one with multiple numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.56Geo
07-23-14, 08:19
Keep it! This is your opportunity for you to give a mutt gun a happy home for the rest of its life. You may find that after time it will become your "go-to gun".

brickboy240
07-23-14, 10:26
I have a 2nd gen G22 that I got from Summit. It too was a police trade.

The thing has different numbers on the barrel but the slide and frame match. I have owned this G22 for about 7 years now.

Guess what...I cannot recall a time the thing did not shoot correctly. Seriously...I don't think it has ever jammed. For 330 bucks...man...I am thrilled.

I say keep it and shoot it...you're going to mod it out anyways.

-brickboy240

kwelz
07-23-14, 14:55
Put a couple boxes worth of various rounds through it first. If it shoots fine then who cares? My G17 has a threaded barrel so there is no serial number at all. If I ever went RDS on it I would probably buy another slide for that so it would not match. While there is a limit to what we should accept wear/looks wise on a gun, non matching serial number should not matter.

Detmongo
07-23-14, 15:01
My current G26 has a brand new barr. and slide from one gun and a brand new replacement frame and runs with zero issues. To date i have 3600 rds thru it.

mizer67
07-23-14, 20:16
Shoot the thing.

My G17 isn't numbers matching any more and has seen ~30K rounds. Can't recall more than two malfs. in the last 20K or so. Literally everything I own has seen parts breakage given enough rounds: M&P, Glock, CZ, Walther, etc. Sooner or later it just wears out or breaks. Doesn't mean it's a problem gun, just that someone may have actually used it.

platoonDaddy
07-24-14, 07:52
Over-reacting.

C'mon, really? Sending it back because all of the parts are not original to the gun? Are you going to actually use this Glock, or is it going to be a collector's item?

If you are planning on actually shooting it, then all that matters is it's functionality and ability to put a projectile where you aim.

AMEN. My G21 has two serial numbers and shoots GREAT.

okie john
07-24-14, 09:03
Hopefully someone who knows can weigh in on this, but wouldn't just about every police trade-in be like that due to PMs? I don't know about the slide, but I would think the barrel would be replaced after so many years. I wouldn't worry about it.

Departments are more likely to replace an entire pistol than replace a barrel. I'd bet that what happened here is Person A ended up on Person B's shit list and was told to field strip and clean all of the pistols that the department was trading in as punishment. Person A, being a knucklehead, mixed up the parts and reassembled the guns without regard to matching up the numbered parts. Then either nobody checked or nobody cared enough to fix the mistake.

Okie John

ruchik
07-24-14, 16:35
There is an easy solution to this.

Use this one as your training or backup gun. If you already have another G19, then save that one only for carry. If not, then get another brand new G19 for the same purpose.

philobeddoe
07-28-14, 11:54
I fail to see the problem.

goodoleboy
07-30-14, 14:36
My .02, IMHO when collector/resale value is no longer a factor, I tend to shoot more and treat more like the tools they are. I own two kinds of guns, guns I show friends I invite to my home as guests, and guns you can expect to see if you come in uninvited. To the OP, you now have a gun that you don't feel like you have to baby around to maintain resale value. If it's reliable and puts rounds on target well, don't worry about it.

pat701
07-30-14, 15:26
IMHO, to high of a price you paid for a "parts" gun, JMHO

rocket 442
07-30-14, 20:17
IMHO, to high of a price you paid for a "parts" gun, JMHO

I agree^^^^. My LGS sells used Glocks(17 & 19's) for 399.95. My G17 is a 2006 model & my G19 is a 2008 & look new!