PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Centurion C4 rail durability results......longterm?

sol1777
07-15-14, 09:47
I hade a C4 cutout rail on an old upper. Locked up crazy tight but I noticed that it rode close to my FSB on one side, or not centered. Anyway, sold that upper, bought a new BCM and put the Fortis Rev on it. On the discussion about Fortis Rev heat issues you'll see my expirience with this rail. Sum it up, it moves and mounting irons on it is a waste of time. So my thoughts are back to the C4. I'm thinking about mounting a 12" on my upper. So any of you guys who have been running this rail have any issues with POI with your irons? Any movement whatsoever? Looking for longterm users here, not the guy who just got it and ran 100 rounds and says its perfect. Thanks for the help,

conquerordie

Hemoglobin
07-15-14, 17:52
I have had my 12" on my 14.5 gun for a few years now maybe more like 2.5. I liked it enough to get the 10" for my SBR even at the onset of the key mod craze.I have ran the 14.5 mid BCM gun through a few classes. A vickers intro class and 2 local classes that were good for basically nothing more than putting rounds through the gun to test reliability. The gun has probably about 4-4.5kk through it now which isn't really a test by some guys standards here, but I have only broke it out to let a friend shoot it because he was wanting to build or buy soon shoot it, here lately. The suppressed 11.5 sees more time now. ...

I'll follow up with this thread here soon. I just put a vortex on the 14.5 and am going to go zero in for 75 grain match ammo on that gun because I do use it so little now. I'll check the irons with the 855 while I'm there. I think it's pretty solid though. You having a twist of some sort would be the first I have seen or heard of that with a c4.

I'm thinking about doing a 16" bcm 410 barreled upper and I'm wanting to try a CMR or a Geisselle, but the C4 is still in the back of my head because I do like the rail.

sol1777
07-15-14, 18:08
Hemoglobin
Please do follow up on your irons ability to hold zero after a couple years of use. My C4 just didn't line up perfectly on either side of my fsb. My fsb could have been off as it was a homebuilt upper. Its my Fortis Rev that's twisting and flexing. Thank you for your opinions and look toward to hearing about your irons.
S1777

Hemoglobin
07-15-14, 18:21
Yep. Hoping to get out this Thursday or Friday. Otherwise the wife comes back from the "girls" trip to the beach and I'm at the mercy of real life.

lunchbox
07-15-14, 18:32
Most of the crooked rails I've seen were due to receiver, not rail. EDIT: Don't have long term use but have had 10" C4 on my 12.5" SBR for year-ish, two classes, countless range time, and no problems.

Hemoglobin
07-15-14, 18:37
For what it's worth.... Also keep in mind that While monty isn't always to get ahold of.... but he took a upper that ADCO botched and he fixed it free of charge just because it had his barrel in it... it went tits up on me at the Vickers class which forced me to use the 14.5 for that class. I like my BCM but I'm a huge fan of Monty and Centurion at this point. So I am a little bias within reason. That said the factory built BCM has ran 100% from day one.

joeyjoe
07-15-14, 18:58
Id definitely be interested in any Centurion C4 durability results. Im partial to a 12 inch, quad rail, forend; not really into the keymod thing. Frankly, I love almost everything about the DD RIS II. If the DD RIS II weighed 13 oz. and sold for a hundred dollars less than it does, id never think about any other AR forend, period. However, the aforementioned issues (weight and price) have pushed me towards the Centurion C4 12", as it weighs slightly less and costs slightly less than the RIS II (also has the added bonus of utilizing the mil spec barrel nut). I like the dimensions of the C4, too. I cant stand the "I beam" shape of many rails out there; the C4 is nice and squatty! I have a 12" C4 on a 14.5 BCM upper...so far so good (no movement, whatsoever). The rifle only has about 600 rounds through it so my results don't really mean much at this point. Ill post back as the rifle matures etc. Anyone's experience with the C4 would be much appreciated. If the rail holds up as well as I hope it does, ill put one on my 6920.

*by the way, great M4 centered forum! im loving the knowledge base here.

Arkansas Bob
07-15-14, 18:59
I hade a C4 cutout rail on an old upper. Locked up crazy tight but I noticed that it rode close to my FSB on one side, or not centered.

conquerordie

Any chance that the FSB was slightly canted? I've seen more than one rifle with that issue from the factory, all of which were able to be zeroed with varying amounts of windage adjustments.

Neither of my rifles with C4's are high round count so I can't speak to their long term durability.

Ironbutt
07-15-14, 19:35
I have a Centurion 12" C4 on my BCM RECCE. I haven't really beat it around much, but I've had no problems with it.

Eurodriver
07-15-14, 19:39
Can't contribute much. I've had a 9" on my SBR for 3 years and it held zero for my PEQ15 quite well.

jaxman7
07-15-14, 19:55
Have had 3. Still have one 10" C4. The other 2 were a 9" and a 12". Don't remember any canting with the 9 or 12 but my current 10" defintely has one. Its not much but its there. I've lined it up in relation to the upper (Vltor MUR1A) with scope mounts, tried torquing the 4 barrel nut screws in all different ways and cannot get the cant out. Stopped worrying about it a long time ago. Holds zero just fine over the last couple of years I've owned the 10".

-Jax

sol1777
07-15-14, 20:57
This is info Im looking for. A small cant to one side or the next doesnt bother me whatsoever. Its the irons changing their POI after a long period of use. That is my concern. This is what happened on my Fortis Rev, and Im considering going back to the Centurion rail. I only had my for a year or so, but if someone can tell me they've had theirs for for a couple years, and there is no shift with their irons, then Im sold. All your thoughts are great. Keep them coming. I know the full picatinny quad rail is on its way out, a dying breed so to say, but if its durable, and hold the irons true, I have no problem with a little weight.

cwgibson
07-16-14, 00:41
I love my C4 rail. I haven't run mine as hard as some probably have, but I have no doubt it could take some abuse. Going on two years now and zero issues, but from what I've heard Monty will take care of you if anything comes up. If you wanted something closer to the fortis you might give the CMR a try. I'm leaning towards one myself for my next build.

http://www.centurionarms.com/product-p/01112.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Iraqgunz
07-16-14, 01:12
You're worrying about nothing. I have two different Centurion Arms rails and they have seen a lot of rounds and use. The oldest is about 3-4 years old.

sol1777
07-16-14, 19:15
Thanks Iraqgunz. I feel like Centurion is the way to go. After I find out what Rainier is going to do for me on my defective Fortis I'll pick up a 12". Thanks again guys

jaxman7
07-16-14, 21:43
Thanks Iraqgunz. I feel like Centurion is the way to go. After I find out what Rainier is going to do for me on my defective Fortis I'll pick up a 12". Thanks again guys

Keep checking out our EE for that 12" C4. With the popularity of tube style handguards pic rails are always on there and at a decent price.

-Jax

NYH1
07-17-14, 00:34
I can't speak of long term use yet. However, I have the Centurion C4 Carbine Cutout Rail on my Colt and it's aligned as straight as an arrow with equal distance between the sides of it and the front sight and is solid as a rock.

Good luck, NYH1.