PDA

View Full Version : Lipsey's all FDE Glocks (cerakoted slide)

Talon167
07-15-14, 17:05
Just came across this. Is this new or have I been living under a rock? Looks pretty sharp!

http://www.lipseys.net/images/g19-full-fde.jpg?maxwidth=520

http://www.lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx?items=exclusives

BaronFitz
07-15-14, 17:33
I've seen a few in stores around here. They tend to go for north of $100 over the non-coated variety. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze, but they do look nice. Also heard something about them having stiffer triggers due to the Cerakoting getting into some internal slide area that I can't remember the exact name of.

AztecViking
07-15-14, 18:05
They've been around for a few weeks now so you're not really late to the party. I like them but I'd prefer the 2 tone version over these.

Flankenstein
07-15-14, 22:41
I picked up a Gen4 17 2 weeks ago. Cost the same as the black ones, no premium...

Talon167
07-16-14, 11:07
Man you guys are lucky haha. If I can find one local for about the same price as a standard, I might pick up a G19. I am a chump for FDE guns.

For those that have seen/own one, how is the color matching to the frame? I've seen numerous FDE (black slide) Glocks and there is a fair amount of color tolerance, if you will... some look like FDE, others are more a of copper color, and some in between.

JEC75
07-16-14, 11:24
The color matches in natural lighting and incandescent lighting. It looks a little green under the fluorescent lights in the store, but looks very close in direct sunlight and inside my house.

El Cid
07-16-14, 11:37
They look great! But seeing how kydex holsters affect the slides of any handgun... I'll stick with the OEM finish. Might do a cerakoted G20 long slide project one day, but as a woods gun it would not get the same workout from the holster that my duty/comp guns get.

glockmpw
07-16-14, 12:05
Yeah, fluorescent lighting definitely brings out the color difference. Wouldn't know about outside lighting because I prefer my Glocks in basic black. Wasn't sure why an FDE slide was necessary. If the FDE frame was to allow it to blend into the "operator's" kit, holstered the slide isn't visible anyway. Is there a tangible benefit to the Cerakote over the Tenifer? If not I see little point. Except for the CDI factor....

gtboy2k
07-16-14, 12:07
Just came across this. Is this new or have I been living under a rock? Looks pretty sharp!

http://www.lipseys.net/images/g19-full-fde.jpg?maxwidth=520

http://www.lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx?items=exclusives

Looks great! Wish this was around when I was shopping for my gen 4.

Talon167
07-16-14, 12:41
They look great! But seeing how kydex holsters affect the slides of any handgun... I'll stick with the OEM finish. Might do a cerakoted G20 long slide project one day, but as a woods gun it would not get the same workout from the holster that my duty/comp guns get.

That was another question/issue is how well the cerakote would hold up to use. I've heard it's very strong stuff. I remember when MAC did a review of the M&P VTAC and point out how quickly the cerakote wore off after a few draws, but after looking closer it was the Kydex that was wearing off and sticking to the pistol. I think he just wiped it off and was back to normal.

El Cid
07-16-14, 15:40
That was another question/issue is how well the cerakote would hold up to use. I've heard it's very strong stuff. I remember when MAC did a review of the M&P VTAC and point out how quickly the cerakote wore off after a few draws, but after looking closer it was the Kydex that was wearing off and sticking to the pistol. I think he just wiped it off and was back to normal.

I don't think I've seen any firearm finish yet that is that durable. But if that's the case, that would be awesome.

Flankenstein
07-16-14, 16:20
Yeah, fluorescent lighting definitely brings out the color difference. Wouldn't know about outside lighting because I prefer my Glocks in basic black. Wasn't sure why an FDE slide was necessary. If the FDE frame was to allow it to blend into the "operator's" kit, holstered the slide isn't visible anyway. Is there a tangible benefit to the Cerakote over the Tenifer? If not I see little point. Except for the CDI factor....

Tenifer is not a finish.

Benefits? Looks cool, uncommon, cerakote is a strong finish (stronger than Glocks current finishes)

Anything terribly functional? Of course not...it's paint.