PDA

View Full Version : Help with all around optic selection

rbxb
09-16-06, 23:49
Just bot a 6721
16" HBAR, 1/9" twist
Intended use = all around. varmint hunting , home defense, plinking
I want to be able to use this scope at night ( not night vision )
been looking at ACOGS & Aimpoint mostly

would prefer some Magnification 2X - 4X power
Must mount on Carry handle
Must be able to use Iron sights while mounted

Please help narrow my search. I'm reading on Aimpoint websites that some are for use only from dawn til dusk ?????? Is this just meaning its not compatible for future night vision campatability?? or does the optic not help gather light under night conditions on its own. The more I read the more confused i get.
Thnx in advance,,,,,,,

USMC03
09-17-06, 09:56
There is no such thing as a CQB / Sniper optic.

The A2 carry handle is definately going to limit your options.

A 3.5x - 4x optic sucks for CQB type work (ie. home defense)

Depending on what kind of varmit hunting you are doing (ie. coyotes or prarie dog, etc) the ACOG may not have enough magnification.

Don't expect your gun / optic to do "all things", because usually what happens is the gun / optic ends up not being good at anything. You may want to consider setting up this upper for plinking / home defense / training classes / close to medium range distances. And build another upper for varmit hunting / long range / precision type work.

Just my .02

rob_s
09-17-06, 11:23
I would say that the best compromise would be a compact ACOG. They make everything from a 1.5x (which is what I use) to a 3x. For your purposes I'd go with this model (http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=197&back_row=2&categoryID=4). When you get rid of that carryhandle upper and change it out for a flattop you can get a Larue compact ACOG mount which will mount the exact same optice right to the flarrop.

I agree though, depending on what kind of varmints you're hunting, the compact ACOG may not (probably won't) work.

VA_Dinger
09-17-06, 12:33
Based off your need to have the optic carry handle mounted I'm going to have to agree with Rob and suggest one of the Trijicon ACOG models. Train & practice enough with it and these can be very capable "GP optics". I have seen guys who only own ACOG's do some very impressive shooting with them. Even at twenty-five and under which is an ACOG's weak point. It all depends on how good you know your equipment.

dubb-1
09-17-06, 12:49
My go-to gun is equipped with a TA44R-4. It is, for me, the perfect all around optic (under $2000, at least).

C4IGrant
09-17-06, 18:19
I would say that the best compromise would be a compact ACOG. They make everything from a 1.5x (which is what I use) to a 3x. For your purposes I'd go with this model (http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=197&back_row=2&categoryID=4). When you get rid of that carryhandle upper and change it out for a flattop you can get a Larue compact ACOG mount which will mount the exact same optice right to the flarrop.

I agree though, depending on what kind of varmints you're hunting, the compact ACOG may not (probably won't) work.

Agree. A compact ACOG would be my choice in this situation.

C4

rbxb
09-17-06, 18:40
1) does the Aimpoint work after dark? i. e. a regular rifle scope

2) looks like the Aimpoint with a 3X magnifier is the most cost effevtive & the best "all around" use. BUT I Gotta Give up my beloved Carry handle:confused: :confused:

3) The "coolness factor" of the compact ACOG is hard to deny

4) I read that the removable carry handle loosens when in use, resulting in knocking ones scope off zero...

5) Since I dig the carry handle look, I shudda saved $$ and got a 6520 (A2) & a compact ACOG & been done with it!

6) or maybe I will get used to the tactical look of the flat top. But then I gotta find some BUIS! - AND what about the fixed front site? Will it be in the way?

All this speaks volumes about the versatility & advanced design of the Stoner / Fairchiild Blackster.........

rob_s
09-17-06, 19:02
I wouldn't worry about a BUIS. For 99.9% of us it's a completely superfluous item.

The front sight will not be an issue if you use the optic correctly (both eyes open) and with the magnification of the ACOGs (compact or otherwise) it will be but a mild blur.

S-1
09-17-06, 19:38
Since you said that your Carry Handle is removeable, why not remove it? It'll make things easier for you.

Since you want your rifle to be set up as a "jack of all trades" type rifle, I would look at a Trijicon TA31DOC. It'll give you some same range and a red dot for close up work.

rbxb
09-17-06, 19:45
Since you said that your Carry Handle is removeable, why not remove it? It'll make things easier for you.

Since you want your rifle to be set up as a "jack of all trades" type rifle, I would look at a Trijicon TA31DOC. It'll give you some same range and a red dot for close up work.
would it be prudent to get a raised mount for the flat top to acog / aimpoint becuase of the front site?

KevinB
09-18-06, 11:35
would it be prudent to get a raised mount for the flat top to acog / aimpoint becuase of the front site?

NO -- the front sight will ghost out at anything typically over 3x. Issue ACOG's mount to the Flattop.
If you want to keep the carry handle for looks -- get a Larue mount for the TA31DOC and remove it and put the carry handle on when you want to.

IF your willing to give up the carry handle a variable 1-4 may be a good choice for you as well.

I dont know how much you are willing to spend.

TA31 in carry handle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Weapons/IMG_0879.jpg

S&B Short Dot in larue 1.93
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Courses/ContractorDriving427.jpg

TA31 on flattop
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Gear/Crye3.jpg

Bugaboo
09-22-06, 08:18
Two questions:
1) In general the move from the carry handle to a flat-top reciever is a good move?
2) Does the BAC concept Trijicon advertises at their web page work or not?

Thanks for your feedback.

rob_s
09-22-06, 09:04
1) Yes

2) The BAC works for me, but may not work for you. Some people have issues with it.

I wouldn't drop $1k+/- on an optic that I couldn't try out first. Hopefully someone in your area has one so you can see if BAC works for you.

VA_Dinger
09-22-06, 16:34
I wouldn't worry about a BUIS. For 99.9% of us it's a completely superfluous item.

I don't know how you could consider a BUIS "superfluous".

I would say it's rather important.

Anything man made can break, batteries die, etc.

olds442tyguy
09-22-06, 18:05
If you're looking into an ACOG, definately try one first. I loved the ACOG on paper, but when I tried one my opinion did a quick 180.

kel
09-22-06, 18:15
I'd mention that the temptation to go with a higher power ACOG than necessary could be a negative.

I really like lower powered ACOGs, but the longer ones don't work for me. Since someone brought up future night vision possibilities, the lower power ACOGs leave a future option open...

http://myweb.cableone.net/1934/TRIJNV.jpg