PDA

View Full Version : Building a log cabin from a "kit"

razors
06-09-08, 18:20
Has anyone on here ever used one of the log cabin "kits" advertized on the internet? Ive been cabin shopping for some time now and havent found any in my area that would work so im gonna have one built. Im not sure of the quality of the kits so often advertized.....just lookin to get some feedback from someone who has been through a build.

Nathan_Bell
06-09-08, 19:43
My next door neighbor purchased one. Two story with 2 B rooms + 1 Rest room upstairs, kitchen, master bedroom and bath down stairs.

They had the shell up within one summer, they still have not gotten the interior completed. There was only a picture of what it was to look like when it was done, but no step by step for the interior construction:eek:

Buck
06-09-08, 20:04
http://www.cornerpockets.com/images/Lincoln%20Logs/Commemorative_eddition.jpg

razors
06-09-08, 20:53
http://www.cornerpockets.com/images/Lincoln%20Logs/Commemorative_eddition.jpg

Are the windows included???:p

Bushido Beaver
06-09-08, 20:58
My sister's boss had a pretty fancy one built in the Colorado Rockies. They had a lot of trouble with the logs drying out at different rates. This caused a lot of trouble in the corners. I don't know any more about it than that, but you might want to inquire into the curing process used on the logs.

I suppose a beaver should know more about these things, but that is the extent of my knowledge on this topic.

BB

KintlaLake
06-09-08, 21:10
We live in a 24-year-old log home that appears to have been homeowner-built.

I don't know if you're planning to do the work yourself or have a contractor do it, razors, but if you don't have the chops to do it right, for the love of lumber, man, get professional help!

:D

We've been here almost two years now, and not a day goes by when we don't uncover something that makes us shake our heads. It's like the place was framed by a freshman shop class and wired by a mad scientist. :rolleyes:

And y'know what? We love it. There's just something about a log house.

Good luck with yours.

razors
06-10-08, 02:29
Thanks for everyones feedback!!
KintlaLake...every cabin in my area for sale look as though the homeowner did the assembly...they look horrible with multiple issues. I really want it done right but cost wise it will be more expensive to have one built. This would be our first house so I also didnt want to go overboard. The kits look like an easy fix but I hear negatives about them...I have the land just need to slap a cabin on it!!!! Just need to figure out what kind and yes professional help will be first on my list:D

KintlaLake
06-10-08, 06:02
KintlaLake...every cabin in my area for sale...horrible with multiple issues. I really want it done right...

Not having built one myself, razors, I'll still offer a few "watchouts."

Plan the routing of your utilities -- electric, plumbing, gas, HVAC, cable, Internet and security -- now. I don't think I need to tell you why (or how I know ;)). If possible, design-in a chase or two for those "Doh!" things you'll inevitably do later.

Also, I recommend that you over-design the roof drainage (gutters and downspouts), especially at inside corners, and make sure that the log-ends are sealed (and kept sealed). It'll go a long way toward preventing an expensive case of rot down the road.

Our home, by the way, is log construction on the ground level, while the second story is conventional frame construction (stud walls, drywall, clapboard siding). It works, actually.