PDA

View Full Version : Holy $#!+ I'm A Senior....

Jellybean
07-15-14, 21:42
I feel so old.... :laugh:

Was scrolling through a thread, when I happened on a post by this "Jellybean" guy that had a "Senior Member" tag under his name.
I was like "holy crap, that's me!"
Then I was like "where did four years go? And how do I suddenly have a thousand posts on a forum?"
You know how many times that's happened? I can't count any....

Four years ago...

I had just bought an XDM instead of the M&P I had decided on (thanks gun rags!) and was slapping myself pretty hard for it. I hated that gun...
I had a Stag Model 2 AR (my first) with a drop-in YHM handguard.
I remember when I started asking for opinions on which rifle to upgrade to, I thought freefloat handguards were gimmicky, to hard to get on and off (because you have to clean an AR obsessively and that includes inside the handguard!), and more likely to break because, you know, they're only attached at one place- what if I drop it on the front? So I wanted to stick with a drop-in. :haha:
I remember Rob_S and another member spent a good chunk of time back in that thread explaining that FF rails were "ok"....

This was back in the Golden Age of The (original) Chart by Rob_S, and epic M4C beatdowns whenever an idiot popped up (I made sure to pop a few extra smilies in here because I know everyone hates them). Ironically the same chart partially posted in a 2009 edition of Guns&Ammo's "Combat Tactics" that I owned (and still do) and yet never read the article on... to many pretty pictures and glowing reviews about that damn XDm in there I guess...

Ah the good ol' 07/08/09 days of no MBUS sights, and Surefire lights of 80 or so lumens. Dear God, people actually thought those things were "blinding"...:blink: Daniel Defense didn't even make rifles yet, let alone the V3 I would later buy.
I could go on- I just went through my old collection of "Book Of The AR15" that G&A put out every year, and I thought "wait- where the hell is everything??? And why is everyone raving about this X200?" I can't imagine what people did with their money back in Ye Olden Days of SteyrAUG and company... Oh, right- nunchucks... :laugh:
I'm surprised no-one ever came up with a bayonet lug mount for those- "bayonets are outdated- now, FLAIL your enemies to death!"

I remember the Great Pmag Drought of '08- I got so desperate to find another couple mags (only got one with the rifle- put off buying more because I really needed that YHM rail to mount nothing on... SMH) that I actually called BravoCompanyUSA to see if they had any in stock after seeing one of their ads in the back of SWAT. Had absolutely no clue who the hell they were, but I figured if they were in the back of the magazine they probably weren't that good- who calls their company "Bravo Company" anyway? To Rambo for me.... But I was sure my rifle was going to look "just like" the black one at the top of their ad... :happy:
I believe I payed around $34 ea. at a local shop for my stupidity, but now I had 5 so I was GTG.

I remember my first foray into sights, after settling on the ubiquitous Eotech 512, I decided it just cost to much, and had almost decided not to bother when lo and behold, I went to a gunshow and there were Eotechs there for $75! I was saved! Yeah, I knew even then they weren't real (I'm not *that* dumb...) but it's just a dot on a piece of glass right? Nothing to it- the other ones are just overpriced because they're sold to the government.
Boy did I pay for that.... I still refuse to disclose the exact amount of rounds I spent trying to get that piece of crap to zero (which it couldn't ever physically do, due to crap internals...). But it was in the multiples of 100...
After re-buying a *real* 512, I saw the difference the extra money makes ( the thing actually worked- what do ya know?) and never looked back at another knockoff sight again.

And don't even get me started on all the Black Hills red box ammo I bought at Cabela's everyday overprices... and promptly pissed most of it away on the above paragraph...I still have the boxes from it to re-use storing ammo. They sure were worth all the money...them, and the included MTM boxes that made it all such a good deal- "enjoy emptying your rifle not your wallet". Bitch please- why do only one when you can do both?...:sarcastic:

But the real issue that, after ALL the other bullshit, caused me to look for outside advice... was "which new stock to bolt onto my AR?"
Now, you gotta remember, this was back when the CTR had been the King of Stocks for a while, and the MOE was the New Kid on the block. And then there were sites that sold the MOE with the rubber pad, and without it. Add that to the fact that I was suddenly alerted to the fact that there's two different buffer tube types, and therefore two different stock types to match. And since the standard M4 plastic stock wiggled a lot, I couldn't decide whether I needed to dish out the extra $$ for the CTR, or if the MOE would fit right. Dear me, decisions, decisions...

About this time I had started thumbing through some magazines of "SWAT"- this was sort of a thing I did when I went to a store that carried magazines- I'd flip through a couple gun mags in the store, and then if it looked interesting buy it for later reading on the Throne. :p
I kept seeing this little ad for a site called "M4carbine.net" - Oh, sure I saw all the other ones- AR15.com. TheFiringLine, GlockTalk, etc, BUT the M4C ad also said "where the professionals go". Well hot damn, that had to be the spot- yes, I do indeed need professional help picking a new stock! :o
And so, that was my first post here- CTR or MOE?
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?57051-Magpul-CTR-vs-MOE
And it's *still* the first thread that pops up when you google search it! :cool:

So now you guys are all stuck with me- that's what you get for being helpful.... :laugh:

Seriously though, thanks to all the folks here for the info and help.
I really can't say you've saved me any money... but my guns and gear are much more awesome because of you!:happy:

SteyrAUG
07-15-14, 22:10

I think at least 1,000 of them were Rob_S trying to convince me that I don't know how to shoot any more because my "old school methods" expired or something.

C-grunt
07-15-14, 22:20
Where the hell did Rob_s go?

gun71530
07-15-14, 22:21
Where the hell did Rob_s go?

He got banned.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Moose-Knuckle
07-16-14, 01:03
Listed under his user name is Former Member . . .

ryr8828
07-16-14, 07:46

I think at least 1,000 of them were Rob_S trying to convince me that I don't know how to shoot any more because my "old school methods" expired or something.
You outlasted him.

you win.

ryr8828
07-16-14, 07:47
I feel like such a slacker. Only 800 posts in 5 years.

SteyrAUG
07-16-14, 12:03
You outlasted him.

you win.

Actually it took video of him and I running the exact same stage of a shooting course he set up, at his shooting club to finally shut him up. The funny part is I only had video of other shooters, including Rob, so that I could learn things from watching them.

SilverBullet432
07-16-14, 12:12
"Senior member" = 1,000 posts. Rather easy if one provides input and joins in on discussions!

Ryno12
07-16-14, 12:45
"Senior member" = 1,000 posts.

Shit! Here I was thinking that it meant they were over 65.

:sarcastic:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Averageman
07-16-14, 13:09

Did you get your AARP card with that?

SilverBullet432
07-16-14, 15:57

My thoughts exactly! I thought this was the ol' geezer thread until i clicked! :jester:

Did you get your AARP card with that?

:lol: M4C AARP program!!

sandman99and9
07-16-14, 18:12
I must really be slacking on the post count :)

S.M.