PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92a1 review, upgrades, thoughts from an amateur

Serpico1985
07-15-14, 22:44
I wanted to post some info on this gun after getting some time behind it. As of today I'm at 770 and have some subjective thoughts and objective shooting data:

6/23/2014

With Wilson Combat getting into customizing Beretta’s and offering new products for them plus their recent slight surge in popularity, I wanted to do a armatures write up on some of these modifications and my impressions of them for anyone looking to upgrade their Beretta or start from scratch. These impressions are my own and worth exactly what you paid for them. There is some object shooting data at the end as well.

After shooting polymer framed guns for the past few years (M&P, Glocks, HK’s, and briefly a CZ P07) I purchased a 2014 production 92a1 about a month ago. My initial impression of the gun was that it felt very well put together and precise. This doesn’t really mean anything just to say that a metal/alloy framed gun has a different feel than a polymer one. The machining was very clean, no chatter marks on the frame or slide. The anodizing on the frame was a deep black while the slide had a slightly glossy deep black color. The grip is large and the reach to the trigger slightly long for my hands but doable. The stock DA trigger pull was heavy and long but smooth. SA had light take up before hitting a wall and breaking at about 6lbs.

I replaced the stock hammer spring with a Wilson Combat 16lb unit and ordered a WC holster while it was at it. The DA and SA weights immediately dropped and DA became much more manageable.

I went to the range and put a few hundred rounds through it (WWB). The gun functioned fine and had zero issues. Brass went to 4 o’clock about 5’ away. Being new to DA/SA guns I worked a lot of presentations and transitions from DA to SA. I was very pleased to find the gun tracked well and returned on target easily.

I identified a couple issues in the first range session:

1) Trigger reach to DA. Not a deal breaker but I could tell that a shorter reach would give me more leverage and assist with the DA pull.
2) Magazine release. I found it difficult to consistently get the mag release depressed far enough to drop the empty mag. Probably a combination or the large grip and short button.
3) Decocker/Safety levers. They are just large and in the way. I know of the method that Langdon teaches and that GJM was nice enough to drive to a gun store and demo where you release the safety on the initial grip with a downward swipe of the thumb. I tried this shooting OWB and it worked very well. But when doing other manipulations with the slide they seemed to just get in the way.
4) Mag changes were made more difficult with the non-beveled magazine well. I had numerous hang ups on the sharp edge. Practice will eliminate some of these but it could greatly benefit from a beveled mag well.

To remedy the above I purchased the following:

-Hogue Extreme Aluminum grips (thinner profile than standard plus aggressive enough texture).
-Wilson Combat low profile single side safety/decocker.
-Wilson Combat short reach steel trigger.

Since I plan on carrying the gun eventually I also put a set of Trijicon bright and tuff tritium sights on (not the HD’s). The front is .125” and the rear notch is .150” allowing for a fast enough sight picture.

Results:

-The trigger reach is slightly better now but I’ll take all I can get.

-I was very surprised to find that the WC short reach steel trigger noticeably improved the trigger pull. I seems both slightly lighter and smoother.

-With the WC low profile safety you can aggressively rack the slide with a overhand grip and not worry about the gun accidently going on safe. Only a distinct, purposeful downward swipe with a finger or thumb will put the gun on safe.

-The gun is shooting “drive the dot” sight picture at 25 yards. I prefer to cut through the POI with the top edge of the front sight or have the POI slightly above the top edge of the front sight. For this reason I have a WC .290” rear on order with should raise the POI 5” or so.

-I have a WC extended magazine release on order too since they just came back in stock and will report back.

Some objective data reference shooting:

-I shot the 10-8 pistol test which I do with all new guns I’m trying out since it is manipulation intensive. I scored a 62/65 with a 6.5 second par time. To compare the best I managed with my G17 was 58/65 on a 6.5 second par time and that’s after shooting the Glock a lot more than I have the Beretta.

-I went 50/50 on Dot Torture at 5 yards with the Beretta on my first attempt. I’ve shot 50/50 at 5 yards with the Glock once before but it took a few attempts to do.

Biggest take away for me:

With the Beretta I don’t have to worry if it will be accurate at 25 yards like the M&P. I don’t have to spend hours finding out which combination of extractor/ejector/RSA to install to get it running like with my gen 4 17. I can do a $30 trigger job on the gun myself with the addition of a $5 hammer spring and $25 short reach trigger. There are a couple of very decent sight options and holster options as well.

Pictures:

Rear sight:
http://i57.tinypic.com/10erj92.jpg

Front sight:
http://i62.tinypic.com/350nfcl.jpg

Left side:
http://i60.tinypic.com/ou8n46.jpg

Right side:
http://i62.tinypic.com/2v8oime.jpg

Lever 1:
http://i58.tinypic.com/2yuhdw1.jpg

Lever 2:
http://i58.tinypic.com/502wwn.jpg

Lever 3:
http://i59.tinypic.com/1zqeznq.jpg

Thanks for reading. Hope this will help someone out if they are on the fence about purchasing a Beretta.

Serpico1985
07-15-14, 22:45
Update 7/15/2014

I wanted to post an update to this thread I started with more subject impressions and objective shooting data. This gun continues to impress me in how easy it is to shoot. Current round count 770

I was in contact with Josh at Allegheny Gun Works to do about $600 worth of work to my gun. After finding out that the wait was going to be about 3 months to get it back I decided to put the mods on the back burner and drive on as is. I did follow David B’s lead and put a set of Vertec grips on my 92a1. These grips do a great job of reducing girth of the grip (better than the thin alumagrips I previously had on there). They seem to be slightly thinner than the stock grips which helps marginally with trigger reach for the DA shot. But the real improvement is area of the frame left uncovered by the straight line of the rear of the grips. It allows me have a more confident purchase on the gun and allows my strong hand fingers to wrap a little farther around the grip which in turns allows me to smash them into the grip with my support hand palm better, leading to a firmer grip (for me).

Also since the last update I installed the Wilson Combat extended magazine release as well as swapping the factory Trijicon rear for a .290” Wilson Combat rear. I did this to alter the POI at 25 from a drive the dot type sight picture to one that has POI just over POA at 25. I went to the range today to test the sights and mag release.

I started off by shooting at 25 yards and found POI was about 2-3” above POA for me. This seems to verify almost exactly the stats up on Wilson Combat’s website saying that every .010” of increase in rear sight height increases you POI 1.7” at 20 yards. Cool. I may, down the road try a .280” rear just for $hits and giggles as I would really prefer the POI 1” or so above POA but that’s splitting hairs really.

Then I shot the Hackothorn "test". 10 yards, 10 rounds from the ready in 10 seconds on a b8 repair center, 90 points is passing. I shot 97 points in 7.60. Personal best.

Next up was JodyH’s 99 drill. I’d never shot this drill before and was not looking forward to it. Since my JMCK AIWB is still a month out I had to use the Wilson Combat OWB holster unconcealed. I turned in a score 85/99 dropping %90 of the shots at 7 yards (that 2.5 sec par time is pretty tough, even more so when I re-shot it concealed). My reloads were consistently 2.10-2.30, an area I really need to work on.

Finally I shot Dot Torture at 7 yards. I’ve passed it at 5 yards twice before with the Beretta. I’ve tried it twice before at 7 yards with my g17 and minus connector and couldn’t get past the strong hand only portion. To my surprise I shot it clean.

I had one light primer strike with 115gr Winchester white box. I checked the primer and it was dimpled and re-loaded it and it fired. This happened once before with WWB and it didn’t ignite after two attempts and then fired when put in a G19. I’m wondering if the hammer spring is to light. I’m using the 16lb wolf spring sold on Wilson Combat’s website which advertises it as suitable for carry. Any ideas?

Take-a-ways:
-The gun flat out shoots. It seems easier to exploit the accuracy of this gun than my G17 after training with it for a couple years and about 3.5k. As of today I have 770 rounds through the Beretta.
-I can get an aggressive and high grip on the gun and still get the slide to lock back. I’ve had a problem with HK’s and my g17 in this area in the past and am stoked to not have to worry about it. I can also easily release the slide with my strong hand thumb which I prefer.
-The Wilson mag release worked %100 better than stock. I had zero issues of not fully depressing the mag release when doing reloads.
-I really like the sight picture combination of the Wilson rear and Trijicon front.
-The combination of the short reach steel trigger, 16lb hammer spring and Vertec grips makes the DA very pleasant to shot.

So my previous comment about “if you were thinking about getting a Beretta 92a1, DO IT” still applies. I’ve found I’ve exceeded my performance with the g17 with the Beretta in much less time. Awesome.

Dot torture 7 yards:
http://i59.tinypic.com/2vir2ph.jpg

Final configuration:
http://i58.tinypic.com/5ur507.jpg

Pilot1
07-16-14, 04:30
Great report, thanks. All good mods. I'd add an oversized (extended) mag release, which is a few minutes install. There are two different ones available from Beretta or Brownells.

Sam
07-16-14, 05:53
You put a Vertec's grips on that regular frame. Interesting.

If you can get your hand (literally) on a 92G Vertec, buy it. The straight backstrap of the grip frame and the Vertec's trigger allow for a better trigger reach, even for smaller hands or short fingers.

samuse
07-16-14, 14:10
Beretta 92s are some of the most reliable and shootable handguns ever built.

20lb is standard on the mainspring.

Bret
07-16-14, 15:51
Excellent review! I have a US made stainless Beretta 92FS. As you mentioned, the quality is definitely there. It is a very accurate pistol. While I don't have a problem with the DA trigger pull due to my big hands, I've decided that I just really don't like having a first shot pull that's heavier than the rest. I much prefer the same trigger pull from the first shot to the last. I also don't care for the manual safety being high on the slide and rotating in the opposite direction as most frame mounted safeties. The bottom line is that I do enjoy my Beretta and won't sell it, but I have to admit that the setup of a CZ75 is just better for me. BTW, while the CZ75 is technically a DA/SA pistol, for my purposes it's a SA pistol because I don't play the game of manually thumbing down a hammer with my finger on the trigger.

glockmpw
07-16-14, 18:20
What makes the short reach trigger shorter? Is it thinner, different shape?

Were the Alumgrips any improvement? Does anyone know of any thinner grips out there?

I have Smurf hands but I also have a 92 with some sentimental value to it.

ptmccain
07-16-14, 18:23
Of the many handguns I've sold off, the Beretta 92A1 I had was one of my favorite. A nice large monster of a handgun with a great long sight radius and one of the better DA/SA triggers I've ever used.

gtboy2k
07-16-14, 18:33
Great review!

Talon167
07-16-14, 19:12
Of the many handguns I've sold off, the Beretta 92A1 I had was one of my favorite. A nice large monster of a handgun with a great long sight radius and one of the better DA/SA triggers I've ever used.

Especially if you add the D-spring. Lightens up the DA a couple lbs. Nothing crazy but for the few dollars it costs, worth it. Seemed to make the DA pull smoother as well, but that might have just been placebo.

RWCRaiden
07-16-14, 20:20
Good write up. The D hammer spring is the best thing you can do for a Beretta 92. For the 5 bucks it costs, you'll shoot it much better.

Serpico1985
07-18-14, 11:36
Thanks for the positive comments.

-The G17 actually has a very slightly longer sight radius (6.1" vs 6.5") than the 92.
-I've come to the conclusion that the two light primer strikes I've had are very likely attributed to the Winchester White box ammo. I spoke with a Wilson Combat rep via PM on another forum and his thoughts were that the ammo was suspect and predicted that if I switch to PMC bronze I wouldn't have any more issues. I've to a few thousand more rounds of the WWB and only shot it for practice so I'm not worried about it. Another side note on the ammo. It leaves gold flakes all over the inside of my gun after a range session. No idea what that is.
-It's completely unanimous, the D spring or equivalent thereof is a mandatory upgrade to all berettas. They shouldn't even ship a 92 or M9 without one.

I'll keep shooting my Pizza gun and post updates periodically.

Thanks for reading.

vereceleritas
07-18-14, 15:12
I like that the 92A1 has dovetailed sights but why the different trigger guard? Seems to limit holster selection since most holster makers favor the M9A1 for obvious reasons.

It's a shame Beretta didn't continue to develop and modernize the 92 series. The Elites, Vertecs, and G-SD models were a step in the right direction and are still desirable pistols today. Instead, they discontinued those pistols and gave us the PX4 :confused:

T2C
07-18-14, 15:31
I owned a 92FS for several years and it was not bad. Recoil was soft and it was very reliable in the environment I used it. It would digest all of my reloads, even some that were of questionable quality. It was not as sensitive to bullet weight as other 9mm pistols I currently own. I think it is a good all round pistol, but I could not get the accuracy I wanted at 50 yards for shooting PPC, so I sold it.

It's good that the front sight on the 92A1 is dovetailed. That gives you more options.

If you do any accuracy testing at 50 yards, I would love to hear the results.

samuse
07-19-14, 08:56
If you have light strikes with WWB, then not hitting the primers hard enough.

I've shot tens of thousands of it in 9,40,&45, watched much much more than that go downrange over the years, never saw one with a hard primer. PPU is the same stuff (sometimes), nobody has ever whined about the primers on them either.

If your mainspring is so light that the most reliable handgun on the planet is now ammo picky, I'd reconsider the spring.

GJM
07-19-14, 09:16
Wilson Combat hit it out of the park with this 92A1, they recently did for me. Pretty much a Wilson 1911 CQB crossed with a 92A1. G conversion, sights, trigger job, checkering of frame, mag well bevel, and dehorned so well it is soft in your hands.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/WCB2_zps08d5d653.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/WCB2_zps08d5d653.jpg.html)

Bret
07-19-14, 09:46
If you have light strikes with WWB, then not hitting the primers hard enough.
I have to agree with this. I've never once had a light primer strike with WWB.

RHINOWSO
07-19-14, 12:27
I've got a 92A1 in the pipeline and some WC stuff is in its future as well. I had a 92FS Brig in the late 90s.

Serpico1985
07-19-14, 15:35
I'm using the stock hammer. The hammer spring I'm using is a wolf and is rated at 16lbs. Anyone know what the rating on a D spring is? 18lbs?

GJM,

Does your WC Beretta have the wolf 16lb spring? Any issues with it? Can you advise DA and SA pull weights since the WC work was done?

samuse
07-19-14, 17:41
You probably need the lighter Vertec hammer.

Quite a bit more mass to the stock hammer.

Serpico1985
07-19-14, 17:43
Forgive me but I thought more mass equals more reliable ignition?

cpekz
07-19-14, 18:04
I'm using the stock hammer. The hammer spring I'm using is a wolf and is rated at 16lbs. Anyone know what the rating on a D spring is? 18lbs?

GJM,

Does your WC Beretta have the wolf 16lb spring? Any issues with it? Can you advise DA and SA pull weights since the WC work was done?

D spring is 16lbs if I recall.

Outlander Systems
09-27-14, 20:14
So far, I am enamoured with the 92A1.

Coming from a HEAVILY stippled M&P, my only gripe about the 92A1 has been the factory grips and the overall slickness of the gun.

Has anyone tried any aftermarket grips that have increased traction?

I'm eyeballing the WC/VZs, but being spoiled absolutely rotten by aggressive stippling has made choosing grips a challenge.

I'm considering, if all else fails, stippling the factory grips and seeing how that goes.

Any advice on what some of ya'lls' experiences with grips would be appreciated.

GrandPooba
09-27-14, 20:24
do the Vertec grips require any modifying to fit on standard M9/92 series frames? Thanks

YVK
09-27-14, 21:13
Yes, but very little. Grip screw holes are not in identical positions and need to be opened up just a tiny bit.

Sikiguya
09-27-14, 21:53
Hogue G10. Try the chainlink or piranha grips.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

opmike
09-27-14, 23:52
I'm eyeballing the WC/VZs, but being spoiled absolutely rotten by aggressive stippling has made choosing grips a challenge.

Aggressively stipping a set of stock grips is the solution I went with. VZ have some wonderfully functional grips for 1911s, but their Beretta grips seem to skew more towards form over function. Namely, only the lower part of the grips have any kind of texture on them, the rest is smooth. I wasn't impressed by them beyond appearance.

Outlander Systems
09-28-14, 09:57
Aggressively stipping a set of stock grips is the solution I went with. VZ have some wonderfully functional grips for 1911s, but their Beretta grips seem to skew more towards form over function. Namely, only the lower part of the grips have any kind of texture on them, the rest is smooth. I wasn't impressed by them beyond appearance.

Yeah, dude. I was pretty surprised to see that they don't offer anything will full grip coverage like the old Simonich Gunner's grips or anything close to their 1911 offerings.

I think I'll most likely break out ye olde Pyrography kit this afternoon.

Outlander Systems
09-28-14, 10:07
Yeah, dude. I was pretty surprised to see that they don't offer anything will full grip coverage like the old Simonich Gunner's grips or anything close to their 1911 offerings.

Hogue G10. Try the chainlink or piranha grips.

I've heard the Hogue G10 Grips aren't as "nice" as VZ grips, but I'm not looking for nice as much as "not slick".

Sikiguya
09-28-14, 10:14
I really like the pirahna model....but have heard chain link is more aggressive. Quality? ..I would not have any complaints.

Outlander Systems
09-28-14, 10:57
I really like the pirahna model....but have heard chain link is more aggressive. Quality? ..I would not have any complaints.

Sounds like these might be the ticket. The M&P I've stippled is like hand Velcro. Thus far, the 92A1 has been a phenomenal pistol, and my singular complaint is the lack of texture on the grips.

I'll probably just order some chain-link Hogues, and stipple the existing grip in the interim.

Turnkey11
09-28-14, 12:08

I've heard the Hogue G10 Grips aren't as "nice" as VZ grips, but I'm not looking for nice as much as "not slick".

I use them on my sigs, wouldn't hesitate to put them on my M9.

samuse
09-28-14, 14:51
Wrap the grip with skateboard tape or Hogue Rubber panels with skateboard tape on the front and back would be grippy.

Sam
09-28-14, 15:16
This is what you want:

http://jerrybarnhart.com/shop/beretta-92f

JBecker 72
09-28-14, 15:26
This is what you want:

Those are sweet. Thanks for the link.

Outlander Systems
09-28-14, 16:28
This is what you want:

Now those...those look sticky!

Outlander Systems
09-28-14, 16:30
I'm gonna take a stab at this, and may end up being the guinea pig...

Does anyone have any experience with the DG Switches from SF on the 92A1?

I'm thinking the DG-20 *should* work...

Outlander Systems
09-28-14, 18:36
Well....

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=28788&d=1411947166

Here's my thoughts.

Decided to do a stipple job on both the Beretta and my TDI knife.

Some observations:

The nylon content of the material plays a large factor in the texture of the final product. While the TDI now has a similar, extremely aggressive, texture to both the M&P and Glock frames I've stippled, the Beretta's factory grips, while improved, are magnitudes less aggressive than the others, despite using the same patterning, etc.

Looks like I'll be checking out some aftermarket options after all.

Magsz
09-29-14, 11:25
Does anyone have thicknesses of the factory grips compared to the Hogue alumagrips and the Hogue G10 grips?

Denali
10-01-14, 15:18

I carry a 92A1 dressed up in VZ grips, half slants. The texture is superior to any gripping texture I have ever played around with, the half checkering effect is for ease of carry on your clothing, G10 being extremely sharp and unforgiving on textiles....If you wish for a more aggressive texture then the slants, they offer the Golfball cuts, but in my opinion they are overkill!

JBecker 72
10-01-14, 15:21
I wonder if the Wilson golf ball grips are made by VZ? That's what I ordered my 92A1 with.

opmike
10-01-14, 16:52
I carry a 92A1 dressed up in VZ grips, half slants. The texture is superior to any gripping texture I have ever played around with, the half checkering effect is for ease of carry on your clothing, G10 being extremely sharp and unforgiving on textiles....If you wish for a more aggressive texture then the slants, they offer the Golfball cuts, but in my opinion they are overkill!

I understand the arguments in favor of half texture but I neither like them nor feel they're a burden on a carry gun. Full texture on my 1911 grips; non issues for me. YMMV.

Outlander Systems
10-01-14, 17:20
I wonder if the Wilson golf ball grips are made by VZ? That's what I ordered my 92A1 with.

I'm fairly confident that they are.

Denali
10-02-14, 11:03
Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post

They are, and the effect is very aggressive, if you're unhappy with the results(especially upon your clothing)you might give the half slants a look, much less aggressive, but far better then any wood or plastic available to you. Keep in mind that as already commented upon, the half slants are just that, half checkered!

Denali
10-02-14, 11:17

Here's a look at my A1 set up with the half slants, sorry for quality but its off of my phone....

Outlander Systems
10-02-14, 11:24

Here's a look at my A1 set up with the half slants, sorry for quality but its off of my phone....

I like em.

I noticed that the factory wood grips have more positive texture than the stippled factory plastic grips.

I may have to suck it up and get the VZs.

ramairthree
10-05-14, 17:43
Thank you for the write up.

The m9A1 has the classic recoil set up vs. the 92A1 but has front and back checkering and the beveled magwell.

I find the Berettas to be very accurate, reliable, and well made.

There are plenty of more modern designs, and a more robust design or two,
and I get sick of all "experts" trying to sound cool bad mouthing them.

Wilson, Ayoob, Hackathorn, etc. have demonstrated pretty long term objective support for the design and function.

JBecker 72
10-05-14, 17:55
They are, and the effect is very aggressive, if you're unhappy with the results(especially upon your clothing)you might give the half slants a look, much less aggressive, but far better then any wood or plastic available to you. Keep in mind that as already commented upon, the half slants are just that, half checkered!

Thanks for the info and pics. I doubt I will be carrying this gun much as I'm quite fond of my P2000SK for that role. But it might get thrown into the rotation during winter months where I can carry it OWB under a jacket or hooded sweatshirt.

I'm trying to not get too anxious to get my gun back from Wilson, but it's pretty hard not too.

Outlander Systems
10-08-14, 11:56
Got around to ordering some new grips, steel guide rod, and recoil spring.

Th Wilson Combat grips ARE made by VZ. As mentioned by Denali, the VZ/WC half-slants are very aggressive. I can say that this solves my issues with the factory grips. The grips are nothing short of fantastic.

I'm thinking about doing one of WC's oversized mag releases. Is there a source for the required spring and bushing, without having to canibalize the factory mag release?

JBecker 72
10-08-14, 12:26
Check with Brownells. Worst case is you buy another complete mag release and cannibalize it.

Magsz
10-08-14, 13:05
Why not just use the factory parts? Once you go to the oversized release you will probably chuck the OEM release in the garbage.

JBecker 72
10-08-14, 13:10
I gotta say the optional Beretta oversized release looks really nice too.

Magsz
10-08-14, 13:41
I gotta say the optional Beretta oversized release looks really nice too.

Agreed. For USPSA production i had to stick to factory parts and this sucker fits the bill just great. The factory original release was all but unusable to me unless i flipped the gun in my hand. This thing requires no shifting of the pistol.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/540/PD6tnu.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0PD6tnuj)

Sam
10-08-14, 14:04
FYI for all you people who wants to use some kind of oversized magazine release. It is fine for shooting games and casual shooting. They are fast but be extremely aware of some practical use with these larger buttons. If you are using a flashlight (Surefire handheld type), depending on your method or technique, the large button can be drawback. Using the flashlight with the Harries method, it will be fine. But if you hold and operate the light in the "Rogers" or cigar method, the light body or maybe even part of your hand may accidentally come in contact with the button and release the magazine during recoil. I have done this regularly when I had a 92G-SD. It and the Elite series were equipped (from the factory) with extended button. I would fire the gun and the next trigger pull would be a click. The magazine would be released slightly that the slide could not pick up the next round. I had to abandon the cigar hold when shooting the gun with the big button.

Like I said earlier, the big button is fine if you don't use a light with the Rogers method. Someone might say, well I have a rail so I have a weapon mounted light. That's fine and dandy, but if you use a regular 92 or M9, then you don't have a weapon light. So you're back to square one.

JBecker 72
10-08-14, 14:26
That's a good point. Mine has a rail and I'll be running a TLR1 on it. I actually had an issue with bumping the right side of my HK mag releases because my hands are pretty big. Dropped a few mags at the firing line inadvertently. So to fix the issue my HK pistols paddle mag release is no longer ambidextrous.

Magsz
10-08-14, 14:54
Shrug,

You can cause the mag to drop with an OEM Gen 4 Glock mag release. Train accordingly and be aware of the gear you're using, just like Sam said.

Outlander Systems
10-08-14, 17:33
Why not just use the factory parts? Once you go to the oversized release you will probably chuck the OEM release in the garbage.

Well...I don't want to come across as a hoarder, but whenever I replace a part, I keep the original as a fully functional spare. For instance, I have so many spare A2 handguards, buffers, trigger guards and roll pins laying around, I have spares for spares. OCD like that I guess. But most likely, the factory magazine release will never get used again.

Like I said earlier, the big button is fine if you don't use a light with the Rogers method.

Excellent point. I've never managed to get the old stogie method to work for me, but these are things that should be considered before undertaking any optional parts changes. For my personal uses, I have a dedicated Weaponlight for all my pistols, but if the batteries go tango uniform, I could see running into a problem with various support hand flashlight techniques.

Outlander Systems
10-08-14, 17:34
That's a good point. Mine has a rail and I'll be running a TLR1 on it. I actually had an issue with bumping the right side of my HK mag releases because my hands are pretty big. Dropped a few mags at the firing line inadvertently. So to fix the issue my HK pistols paddle mag release is no longer ambidextrous.

The only pistols I have ever inadvertently dropped the mag on were HKs. That's about the only complaint I have with the HKs I've owned.

JBecker 72
10-08-14, 19:21
The only pistols I have ever inadvertently dropped the mag on were HKs. That's about the only complaint I have with the HKs I've owned.

Yup, we aren't the only ones from what I've read. I had a tendency to bump the right side mag release with my left index finger under recoil. To remedy the issue I cut the right side paddle off the mag releases on my P30 and my P2000SK. Though it was only the P30 that gave me the problem.

Outlander Systems
10-08-14, 19:57
Agreed. For USPSA production i had to stick to factory parts and this sucker fits the bill just great. The factory original release was all but unusable to me unless i flipped the gun in my hand. This thing requires no shifting of the pistol.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/540/PD6tnu.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0PD6tnuj)

What do you have on the front strap? Looks mighty...grippy.

Yup, we aren't the only ones from what I've read. I had a tendency to bump the right side mag release with my left index finger under recoil. To remedy the issue I cut the right side paddle off the mag releases on my P30 and my P2000SK. Though it was only the P30 that gave me the problem.

Similar problem. Mine was catching on the right side as well. When it happened while holstered, I had to reconsider the holster or that paddle...

Magsz
10-08-14, 20:23
Skate tape.

I prefer the grips of my guns to draw blood when i grab them.

trauma
10-08-14, 20:37
Riggs and McClane

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s571/cal1979/riggs_zpsf53b1ce1.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/cal1979/media/riggs_zpsf53b1ce1.jpg.html)

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s571/cal1979/mcclane_zps2a655d75.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/cal1979/media/mcclane_zps2a655d75.jpg.html)

JBecker 72
10-08-14, 21:47
Die Hard is the main reason I love the Beretta 92 and Steyr Aug.

Magsz
10-08-14, 22:15
If it were production legal and i could fit five mags into a shoulder holster...id do it. :P

Big A
10-09-14, 07:03
Riggs and McClane

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s571/cal1979/riggs_zpsf53b1ce1.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/cal1979/media/riggs_zpsf53b1ce1.jpg.html)

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s571/cal1979/mcclane_zps2a655d75.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/cal1979/media/mcclane_zps2a655d75.jpg.html)

Die Hard is the main reason I love the Beretta 92 and Steyr Aug.

This is why I had bought mine. Wish I hadn't had to sell it years ago. I'm excited about all these new offerings coming out. I'm really hoping for a factory 92A1-G.

JBecker 72
10-09-14, 07:36
I'm really hoping for a factory 92A1-G.

Wilson is making my 92A1 a G model. Can't wait.

Big A
10-09-14, 09:00
Wilson is making my 92A1 a G model. Can't wait.

I'm tempted to buy one and do that myself. Even more so if my LGS gets some from the new plant in Tennessee anytime soon.

JBecker 72
10-09-14, 09:56
The 92A1 is Italian made.

Big A
10-09-14, 16:39
The 92A1 is Italian made.

I did not know that. Do you (or anybody else) know if there any plans to produce them in Tennessee? That's not a deal breaker for me, just curious.

Exiledviking
10-22-14, 23:39
In regards to the different grips, I have the WC grips (made by VZ for WC) on my 92A1. I also have a set of the Hogue G10 grips mounted on my M9A1.
The WC are thinner than the Hogue grips. I measured the circumference with a string in the same area (about 1/2" below the magazine release) on both guns and the difference was around 1/4". It is my understanding that the WC panels are thinner than the regular Beretta grips VZ sells. I prefer the WC grips over the Hogue grips and will be selling the Hogue grips (possible along with the M9A1 as I am thinking of picking up another 92A1 solely for training).
Also, as recommended by the OP try the WC short reach trigger. It has a flatter face than the Beretta trigger. I am very impressed with that trigger along with a D spring.
Serpico1985, thanks for the review. It pushed me over the edge and I had to buy a 92A1.

10-23-14, 07:57
You guys with the WC grips,
So these are somewhat thinner than the standard Beretta grip? I have large enough hands and I have been shooting my 92's for years. I had an 92F, then an FS and a few years ago I found a G model. I find the standard 92 grip a little round feeling in my hands but it still works. But after getting a Colt Government I find I really like the feeling of the flatter profile. Would any of you say the WC grips are closer to that feeling than the standard Beretta profile?

Thanks

Magsz
10-23-14, 11:07
The WC/VZ grips are at the widest point, as wide as the factory grips. They do however taper towards the edges so the overall circumference is less than the hogue or factory grips.

Having said that, i went with the Hogue G10's for a few reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpTM_ZRt9j4&list=UU371oVS24jDLUGmNvWg5mqQ

opmike
10-23-14, 11:27
Really good overview. Your YT videos are really no-bullshit and straight to the point.

The Hogue G10 grips weren't even on my radar until now.

JBecker 72
10-23-14, 11:30
Interesting video, thanks for sharing it. I have never felt either on a Beretta, but if I don't like the VZ golf ball grips when I get my pistol back I might switch them out to those ones.

Magsz
10-23-14, 11:43
Really good overview. Your YT videos are really no-bullshit and straight to the point.

The Hogue G10 grips weren't even on my radar until now.

Im not a shill never will be a shill and will always speak my mind. That doesnt make me RIGHT it just makes me a guy that is sharing his experiences for no monetary gain or industry motivated purpose.

I primarily make the videos for myself as i am interested in chronicling my own journey with different guns as i continue shooting. Certain things work, certain things dont and i always like to analyze what does and doesnt. Being able to document it easily is a major boon...man, i love technology. :)

J, the VZ's are a great product albeit less than optimal for me. I doubt you will dislike them as they are more comfortable than the factory grips, however, if you notice any kind of torquing of the pistol while shooting or discomfort while shooting, the G10's from hogue will be waiting for you. :)

Serpico1985
05-27-15, 14:05
Update for anyone interested:

Serpico1985;323387]Bumping my old thread for an update for anyone interested. The beretta continues to be a excellent platform and seems to work for me very well. I haven't kept a precise round count but am close to hitting 2k rounds. Work has kept me from the range of late.

Mods
- I tried the Wilson Combat ultra thin grips and ended up putting the vertec's back on, just prefer the vertec's.
- I added a little bit of stippling to the left side to help lock down my grip, seems to work well.

Me and my shooting partner are preparing for the upcoming Pat Mac/Mike Panone two day class and made it to the range recently. Amongst the high points of my recent shooting exploits were shooting a 282 on the Hackathorn standards from concealment besting my previous high score of 260 with the G17. Also shot two consecutive FAST tests and busted the 5 second barrier for the first time ever with a 4.97 run. Other run was a 5.48:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2mq485z.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2a7dkbr.jpg

I really want a G conversion but don't want to be without the gun for an extended period of time. Anyway rock on beretta and keep turning out great guns.

call_me_ski
05-29-15, 04:16
I had the opportunity to handle a VERTEC, M9A1, and an M9A1 w VERTEC grips side by side today. The original style frame with the VERTEC grips was the best in hand. It is most likely the way I would set up my gun if given the choice. I would recommend the configuration to anyone interested in playing with grips on the 92.

It would be really nice if beretta started releasing all guns with the user convertable slide found on the m9a3. But that is probably a pipe dream. The 92 seems to have so much potential that beretta seems hellbent on not realizing fully.

Slater
05-30-15, 12:31
M9, M9A1, 92A1, 90Two, M9A3, VERTEC...how much more mileage can Beretta wring out of the 92 platform?

Serpico1985
05-30-15, 17:47
If they would make all models include a dovetailed front sight and G convertible like the M9A3 they could see a lot more mileage and justifiably so. Would love a compact 92/m9 with a G slide and a dovetailed front sight.

The beretta 92 line is straight up a very shootable gun that can go from pretty darn good to excellent trigger wise with a spring change and the addition of a steel trigger. They also offer excellent out of the box accuracy and reliability.

jondoe297
05-30-15, 18:00
M9, M9A1, 92A1, 90Two, M9A3, VERTEC...how much more mileage can Beretta wring out of the 92 platform?

Still way behind SIG and all they're milking the P22X for.

Serpico1985
05-30-15, 18:05
Beretta has not suffered from QC issues like Sig has in the recent past. They have seemingly quit trying for a while innovation wise and are now starting to listen to what customers want bringing back G berettas, brigadiers etc. I hope it continues.

jondoe297
05-30-15, 20:33
Beretta has not suffered from QC issues like Sig has in the recent past. They have seemingly quit trying for a while innovation wise and are now starting to listen to what customers want bringing back G berettas, brigadiers etc. I hope it continues.

I know. I was poking fun at SIG, not Beretta. Beretta has really been making strides lately when it comes to giving their civilian customer base what they want. For the longest time it seemed like their attitude was "You will take the 92FS, and you will like it".

ramairthree
05-30-15, 23:09

On a forum called M4 Carbine you call out Beretta on how long they drag out a platform that has only been around since the 70s instead of since the 50s?

ralph
06-01-15, 10:34

That begs the question, How much more mileage can Colt wring out of the 1911? Hmm, XSE's, Rail guns, Repro series 70's, 80 series, Gold Cups, Delta elite's in 10mm, commander length pistols, etc, 114yrs later and still going, not bad..