PDA

View Full Version : Long term storage

10MMGary
07-16-14, 16:39
I just acquired two Colt M4 LE6920 Magpul Moe edition/version carbines. I have no plans to shoot these in the foreseeable future and was curious as to the best way to store them. FWIW they will be in a climate controlled self storage environment locked in a safe with a goldenrod humidity control device. I guess what I really want to know is about the plastic bag properties that they came wrapped in inside the Colt box. Should I leave them in that plastic bag and in the Colt box or do you "in the know" recommend other or better options? Regardless they of course will be well coated in a CLP solution, unless that is not recommended if keeping them in the original plastic and box. I have a couple other M4geries that get regular use and are just cleaned and keep well lubed in my home safe, but I have never kept boxed guns that were not going to seen or see use for an extended period of time.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice or tips,
Gary
P.S. If this is not the proper forum for this question, as always feel free to move it to the appropriate location and accept my apologies.

stonesg
07-16-14, 16:55
Over lube the whole gun.... Just about any good quality gun oil will do. Heck Mobile one should do.

Rack clear it. (Clear the weapon, safety off, hammer down. Safest way is to break it open and lower the hammer then close it again if you don't have a clearing barrel.)

Seal it up and you are good to go.

Bluto
07-16-14, 16:57
I use these: https://www.zcorrproducts.com/, but it's probably overkill.

I kept the boxes, but not in the safe.

Belt Fed
07-16-14, 17:23
I'm just a newbie with first post, but I have had several Black rifles in storage for years, many from the early 80's. They are stored in a gun safe with no humidity control, but the house is controlled. I have each one of them in a gun sock. Before I put them up I sprayed gun oil on them really good inside and out. I checked them and redid the oil thing about a year ago and they were fine.

10MMGary
07-16-14, 22:45
(Clear the weapon, safety off, hammer down. Safest way is to break it open and lower the hammer then close it again if you don't have a clearing barrel .)

Seal it up and you are good to go.

Not trying to be disrespectful but I am not even sure what this means(particularly the part of your reply I quoted in bold font). I know how to safety check clear and field strip pretty much any small arm ever made. These are two brand new guns still in the plastic wrap in the box from Colt. What I am curious/concerned about is the issue of long term storing of these 6920s in the original Colt plastic wrap and Colt boxes they arrived in.

themighty9mm
07-17-14, 00:48
Honestly, just put them in the safe. The "lube" most manufacturers put on brand new weapons isn't intended for shooting. It's intended for stores to be able to store the rifle in its original container for long periods of time without the firearm rusting on the store shelves. This is why its generally recommended to clean and lube a brand new firearm before its first range trip. The plastic bag on colts, is just another semi protective layer. The inside of the plastic bag most likely has lube gunk all over it.

Grand58742
07-17-14, 01:41
Not trying to be disrespectful but I am not even sure what this means(particularly the part of your reply I quoted in bold font). I know how to safety check clear and field strip pretty much any small arm ever made. These are two brand new guns still in the plastic wrap in the box from Colt. What I am curious/concerned about is the issue of long term storing of these 6920s in the original Colt plastic wrap and Colt boxes they arrived in.

I'd add a desiccant pack as a just in case measure. I used some military type plastic storage bags that are a little thicker than the bags rifles come in, but same material. After wrapping the top down I duct taped the end. The AR I had was stored for about five years while I was overseas and no signs of rust and the bag was perfectly fine.

BufordTJustice
07-17-14, 10:11
I use these: https://www.zcorrproducts.com/, but it's probably overkill.

I kept the boxes, but not in the safe.
These work well.

OP, how long do you intend to store the guns? 5 years? 10 years? 50 years?

The best preservative that I know of is a gel like cosmoline that covers every surface of the weapon. Literally, isolating it from any oxygen.

Even if you just use an oil based product, don't forget to punch the barrel and chamber several times with a sopping wet patch. Also, coat the barrel under the hand guard. Coat the entire bolt as well, and the carrier.

A properly treated firearm should take quite some time to clean up before it could be used.

markm
07-17-14, 10:20
This is nuts. In a controlled climate with reasonable humidity, there's NOTHING needed. Shit. I've got blued hunting/Fudd guns that have sat for 10 years in my house and nothing is wrong with them.

Double3
07-17-14, 10:24
I would just put them in the safe and not worry about it.

markm
07-17-14, 10:27
I would just put them in the safe and not worry about it.

Exactly.

tog
07-17-14, 10:28
This is nuts. In a controlled climate with reasonable humidity, there's NOTHING needed. Shit. I've got blued hunting/Fudd guns that have sat for 10 years in my house and nothing is wrong with them.

This^, but I would try them out first and make sure they are good to go. At some future point you might not be able to get them repaired or to pick up spare parts that are available today.

stonesg
07-17-14, 10:49

I didn't take it as disrespect.... no problem.

Rack clearing is how we stored weapons in the armory. relieves the spring pressure on the fire control group.

We had and always used a clearing barrel. Muzzle into the barrel anytime the hammer was dropped just in case some how a round made it into the chamber, the barrel would catch it. It may be overkill but a barrel of sand next to the gun safe for dropping the hammer on any firearm couldn't be a bad thing in just about any situation but particularly for say and apartment dweller.

That's why I said, if you don't have a clearing barrel or safe direction to point the muzzle, with an AR type weapon, you can break it open and lower the hammer with your thumb over it (for those reading who don't know, dropping the hammer with the action open can damage the receiver bridge just in front of it).

markm
07-17-14, 10:58
Rack clearing is how we stored weapons in the armory. relieves the spring pressure on the fire control group.

I do store my guns "rack" style. But leaving a hammer cocked won't do any harm to the fire control group. Just like a mag spring, the hammer spring can stay compressed for decades and do no harm. Cycling fatigues a spring, not compression.

stonesg
07-17-14, 11:06
I do store my guns "rack" style. But leaving a hammer cocked won't do any harm to the fire control group. Just like a mag spring, the hammer spring can stay compressed for decades and do no harm. Cycling fatigues a spring, not compression.

I hear you and I know about the documented cases of decades old mags stuffed with .45 acp that fired off with no problems but the fact is that springs can take a set. I'd rather rack clear and leave that one tiny lottery type variable on my side than on Murphy's.

With MY luck, I'd have that ONE slightly not properly tempered spring that would ruin my day at the ultimate moment.

six8
07-17-14, 11:40
Shoot, clean, store. Nothing else needed. I would definitely make sure they function properly first

Ryno12
07-17-14, 11:59
Shoot, clean, store. Nothing else needed. I would definitely make sure they function properly first
You didn't read his OP, did you? He doesn't plan on shooting them.

I just acquired two Colt M4 LE6920 Magpul Moe edition/version carbines. I have no plans to shoot these in the foreseeable future and was curious as to the best way to store them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Averageman
07-17-14, 12:10
I would make sure I had everything well lubed store them "rack" style and put them back in the bags and forget about it. It certainly sounds as if you have everything well in hand.
You'll be fine.

six8
07-17-14, 12:10
You didn't read his OP, did you? He doesn't plan on shooting them.

Apparently I missed that part.

Ryno12
07-17-14, 12:17
I know plenty of guys that win guns at banquets and all they do is slide them under their bed, never to be used. Some have been there for decades and they're still like the day they were put the there. Like Mark said, if they're in a climate controlled area, they'll be fine as is.

10MMGary
07-18-14, 09:43
Thanks to everyone that replied and gave advice or made me smile, I guess I was over thinking it a bit in hindsight. The lovely wife refers to it as the paralysis of analysis, with an emphasis on anal. So mods or admin or whoever with the power to do so feel free to lock this one down.

rodinal220
07-18-14, 09:57
I use these,they work extremely well.

http://www.zerustproducts.com/