PDA

View Full Version : Black Hills 77 gr OTM VS SSA 77 gr OTM

bjxds
07-16-14, 20:36
I have some of both, and the BH has sealed primers and I assume they are using Sierra Match King 77gr OTM. I can not get any info from Silver State Armory as to the type of bullet they use. There is a noticeable difference in the size of the opening of the OTM. The SSA looks more like a hollow point vs a OTM.

Does any anyone have any experience or info on the type of bullet that may be used in the SSA 77 gr OTM round?

At what point does a OTM become a hollow point?

markm
07-16-14, 22:10
Well there's really only two possibilities that I know of. SMK and Nosler Custom Competition. Both are outstanding. We shot the Noslers out of Pappabear's Rem 700 bolt gun to 1100 yards last weekend. He hit a 15 inch rock 3 out of 4 times. The 4th time we just weren't certain of the hit.

Noslers frag a tad better. Both are amazingly accurate. I load them interchangeably for defense. If the SSA's have a slightly deeper cannalure, I bet they're Nosler. I like to joke that Sierra paints their cannalure on because they REALLY don't like putting a cannalure on their nice bullet. Sierra puts on a VERY light cannalure.

Oh yeah.. the Nosler CCs have a slightly larger meplat. So if that's what you're seeing on the SSAs, that's another clue. Either way, you have good bullets.

cwgibson
07-17-14, 00:11
As usual markm is correct. Here is some good stuff from doc.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fz1boxer
07-17-14, 07:31
nosler bought SSA and im sure the newer 77 grain ammo is being loaded with noslers.
recently got a big disappointment with SSA.
boxes marked 5.56 are loaded to 223 spec.
wont buy anymore

markm
07-17-14, 08:20
What's the story on the SSA? Did you chrono them?? What box were they in?

bjxds
07-28-14, 18:57
Y'all were right on the MONEY! Confirmation from SSA. Nosler Custom Competition bullets are used, non sealed primers and case neck.

markm
07-29-14, 10:21
Y'all were right on the MONEY! Confirmation from SSA. Nosler Custom Competition bullets are used, non sealed primers and case neck.

For defense ammo, I'll take a factory new Lake City load, pull the bullet... dump the powder, and put my powder and 77 OTM in. Usually there's enough residual neck sealant, and all of the primer sealant and crimp.

Home made 262 ammo.

bjxds
08-02-14, 21:04
nosler bought SSA and im sure the newer 77 grain ammo is being loaded with noslers.
recently got a big disappointment with SSA.
boxes marked 5.56 are loaded to 223 spec.
wont buy anymore

IF this can be verified, I would have contacted SSA and gave them the opportunity to get it right.

I don't have a chrono, but I finally got a chance to shoot today. NOT that I am an expert, I didn't seem to feel a difference between the 2. I could feel the difference between some 556 and lower powered 223 I have, for what that is worth. As expected POI was also slightly different than the M193 I have been shooting.

I did seem to get a little better grouping with the BH, but not by much, and since it was at the end of the day, I will need check it out again.