PDA

View Full Version : Good LPKs These Days?

NetJunkie
07-17-14, 09:29
I know it's been discussed but times change... Looks like Grant is out of stock and I've heard mention he may not be doing them anymore. BCM doesn't seem to sell theirs now. Daniel Defense? Colt is an obvious answer but double the cost of everyone else. Does LMT sell LPKs if you call them? Anyone else worth buying these days? Want to do a new build.

justin_247
07-17-14, 10:01
I know it's been discussed but times change... Looks like Grant is out of stock and I've heard mention he may not be doing them anymore. BCM doesn't seem to sell theirs now. Daniel Defense? Colt is an obvious answer but double the cost of everyone else. Does LMT sell LPKs if you call them? Anyone else worth buying these days? Want to do a new build.

Weapon Outfitters sells customized kits:
http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m-16-parts/lower-receivers-parts/lower-parts-kits/cool-guy-lpk-kit.html

DD and Stag are still selling their LPKs, although some are not very happy with them. A lot of folks have been reporting good results from White Oak's LPK.

lengthofpull
07-17-14, 23:10
DSG arms has DD LPKs w/magpul trigger guard for 79.99 with free shipping this weekend, or so their email tells me.

https://dsgarms.com/dd-05-013-21007?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Daniel%20Defense%20AR-15%20Lower%20Parts%20Kit%20%28LRPK%29%20w/%20MAGPUL%20MOE%20Trigger%20Guard&utm_campaign=7/17%20Weekend%20sale

Nengland
07-18-14, 00:31
http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/product.php?id_product=71

The Sionics LPKs have been great to me. You pick your trigger group. No extra BS you don't use. Great Price.

SeriousStudent
07-18-14, 00:38

The Sionics LPKs have been great to me. You pick your trigger group. No extra BS you don't use. Great Price.

I have purchased and installed two of those as well. One with a Colt fire control group I got off the EE here, and another with an ALG QMS that I put in a friend's build.

Both builds have worked fine with no issues. I also like how Sionics does tracking on their ordering and shipping, you know your status. I've used the G&R LPK's about 7 or 8 times, and never had an issue with them either.

Nengland
07-18-14, 00:55
+1 The shipping method and notifications are a great feature of their ordering process. I've spent days on end waiting to see if Ive really got an LPK coming or not.

Zim
07-18-14, 08:13
I've had good luck with WoA parts from ADCO in my last three lowers.

NetJunkie
07-18-14, 10:02
Thanks all! I've never had bad luck with any LPK but wanted to see what's good these days for some new builds.

Waylander
07-18-14, 10:57
White Oak has LPKs with ALG QMS trigger for $83 or the ACT trigger for $103. I would pick either of those over a DD.

mhanna91
07-18-14, 11:44
I haven't heard about DD LPK's decline in quality/customer satisfaction. I thought they were a top end parts kit. Anyone care to elaborate on this? I don't want to take advantage of the DSG sale if it's going to be junk parts...

titanse05
07-18-14, 12:03
I haven't heard about DD LPK's decline in quality/customer satisfaction. I thought they were a top end parts kit. Anyone care to elaborate on this? I don't want to take advantage of the DSG sale if it's going to be junk parts...I haven't heard anyone having issues with the Daniel Defense LPKs. Buy with confidence.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Zim
07-18-14, 12:52
I think he was saying that the White Oak LPK with ALG trigger option is better quality and less expensive. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the DD LPK, but advertising costs and WOA doesn't do much of it. Thus, same/better quality at a better price (with a much better trigger).

C4IGrant
07-18-14, 13:03

We are working with Colt now to offer a LPK's WITHOUT a FCG. We will also offer standard and ambi selectors from them with the kits. Yes, they will be more expensive than others, but they will also be better.

C4

justin_247
07-18-14, 13:18
I haven't heard about DD LPK's decline in quality/customer satisfaction. I thought they were a top end parts kit. Anyone care to elaborate on this? I don't want to take advantage of the DSG sale if it's going to be junk parts...

People don't like the trigger. That's the main concern for some. I haven't had any problems with mine.

I completely forgot about Sionics. Good call.

Waylander
07-18-14, 13:25
Regardless of any issues with the DD trigger (mine is fine) if I had it to do over again I would get the WOA with a known quality ALG ACT trigger for not much more.

Zim
07-18-14, 13:46
The fit and finish on three sets of WOA bolt catches and mag releases that I've used in the last few weeks has been flawless. I used BAD-ASS and BAD-EPS with two ALG-ACTS and one SD-C, which is another plus with WOA. You can buy specifically the parts you want, and nothing you don't.

NetJunkie
07-18-14, 15:14
We are working with Colt now to offer a LPK's WITHOUT a FCG. We will also offer standard and ambi selectors from them with the kits. Yes, they will be more expensive than others, but they will also be better.

C4

Rough timeline? Two week kinda thing or could be a 3 month kind of thing? Be awesome Grant.

C4IGrant
07-18-14, 15:19
Rough timeline? Two week kinda thing or could be a 3 month kind of thing? Be awesome Grant.

This month we should start to see something we think.

C4

SeriousStudent
07-18-14, 15:24

C4

That will be sweet, thanks for the heads up.

I have always envisioned a small hill of discarded Colt A2 pistol grips behind your shop. It would probably be fun to sled on after a snowstorm. ;)

joeyjoe
07-18-14, 18:12
Excellent news regarding the Colt LPK's! A colt LPK with ALG ACT is in my future. Slightly OT, Im a big fan of BCM, but has anyone else noticed how rough their triggers are? I have multiple BCM lowers and all of the triggers are noticeably worse than my Colt triggers. Doesn't really matter as all are being swapped for ALG ACTs (love em); just thought it was strange considering BCM's general level of quality. Colt LPKs are awesome. Its a small thing, but the safety selectors, for example, are very smooth/positive when compared to other brands.

t1tan
07-18-14, 18:34

C4

Glad to hear this.

Last build I used BAD-CASS, BAD-EPS, ALG and ordered Colt for the rest of the lower and upper small parts from Specialized Armament and I'm happy with the combo.

SilverBullet432
07-19-14, 01:35
Not sure why people complain on the DD trigger though. Its a spec trigger not a NM-DMR.... For my upcoming lower build i am parting it out though. With the DMR trigger, BAD-ASS, BAD-ETP, and small parts from WOA.

3 AE
07-19-14, 10:55
DSG arms has DD LPKs w/magpul trigger guard for 79.99 with free shipping this weekend, or so their email tells me.

https://dsgarms.com/dd-05-013-21007?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Daniel%20Defense%20AR-15%20Lower%20Parts%20Kit%20%28LRPK%29%20w/%20MAGPUL%20MOE%20Trigger%20Guard&utm_campaign=7/17%20Weekend%20sale

OP, If your going to use every part of a LPK and not change anything in the near future, just get the DD LPK and run it. Who knows, you might be satisfied with the trigger group as is. If the trigger group is some how lacking, you can always get an inexpensive upgrade with the ALG QMS.

Waylander
07-19-14, 10:56
Not sure why people complain on the DD trigger though. Its a spec trigger not a NM-DMR.... For my upcoming lower build i am parting it out though. With the DMR trigger, BAD-ASS, BAD-ETP, and small parts from WOA.
I think people hear a few reports about somebody's DD LPK being awesome so they expect to get a Colt for what they pay for it. Then they find a tiny bit of grit or takeup, which will smooth out anyway, and complain about it.

That being said, they may have occasional QA slips. So your best bet if you really want one is buy it and if the trigger sucks get a Geissele or ALG.

Edit:
Basically what 3 AE said also. Lol.

six8
07-19-14, 13:55
WOA? .....

Zim
07-19-14, 14:26
White Oak Armament

C4IGrant
07-27-14, 16:36
Glad to hear this.

Last build I used BAD-CASS, BAD-EPS, ALG and ordered Colt for the rest of the lower and upper small parts from Specialized Armament and I'm happy with the combo.

They have appeared!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SPK99796

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Colt/SPK99796a.jpg

Eurodriver
07-27-14, 16:38
Grant, why did you stop selling LPKs with milspec triggers? Is it because triggers like the ALG QMS are available for a similar price but are a better option?

C4IGrant
07-27-14, 16:40
Grant, why did you stop selling LPKs with milspec triggers? Is it because triggers like the ALG QMS are available for a similar price but are a better option?

Very little interest. That an the fact that the ALG family of FCG are VASTLY superior most all USGI options. On top of that, the Geissele G2S is simply fantastic for the money.

C4

Kain
07-27-14, 16:44
Grant, out of curiosity why does that LPK come with the grip screw/bolt when it doesn't have a grip? I just find it strange since every grip that I can recall buying, a lot of magpuls for what it is worth, but others as well, came with their own screws.

3 AE
07-27-14, 16:55
Grant, out of curiosity why does that LPK come with the grip screw/bolt when it doesn't have a grip? I just find it strange since every grip that I can recall buying, a lot of magpuls for what it is worth, but others as well, came with their own screws.

It would come in handy if one decides to go with the Ergo Grip. They don't come with the screw and star washer.

C4IGrant
07-27-14, 17:17

Don't know, but I get requests for them all the time so it is a good idea.

C4

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Zirk208
07-27-14, 20:24
This is "The Kit" I've been waiting for. Tired of waiting for Brownells to get in stock and not wanting to piece meal one together.

SilverBullet432
07-28-14, 02:55
Awesome! Glad these kits are out there!

kantstudien
07-28-14, 07:53
Hmm... looks like I'll have a few DD LPKs for sale for $80 shipped if anyone wants one. This Colt kit sans FCG makes more sense for me.

C4IGrant
07-28-14, 07:53
Awesome! Glad these kits are out there!

Very limited supply at the moment though.

C4

Zirk208
07-28-14, 10:30
You just earned a new customer. Nice to see Colt opening themselves up to new options.

RioGrandeGreen
07-28-14, 15:23
Grant,

Save one for me until I get back from vacation.:D

C4IGrant
07-28-14, 17:16
Grant,

Save one for me until I get back from vacation.:D

LOL, they sold out in one day!

More on order....

C4

brushy bill
07-28-14, 17:38
I could use a kit. Saw this in the "where can I get it" thread from this morning but oos by the time I got home and checked email. Not sure if you keep a list for low cost items, but if so please add me.

TehLlama
07-28-14, 18:15
I've never found it to be anything buy worth the wait to get one from G&R. Unless you need it 'right meow', just go that route and pick up the rest of that lower in pieces while waiting.

kirkland
07-28-14, 23:29
Darn, looks like I'm just a bit too late, I'm gonna be looking for one of these kits when you get them back in stock.

SouthPaw970
07-29-14, 09:52
I have used kits from PSA, Rguns, DS Arms, and others. I have been happy with all of them. I think PSA offers a good kit but after the only one I ordered from them was missing parts, I choose not to order another from them.

trinydex
07-29-14, 12:25

some people also want to replace all their allen key cap screws with button heads that take a standard tip screw driver

lahunter57
07-30-14, 14:38
Don't get a PSA, they'll just lie to you and keep telling you they will ship it in one to two days. I canceled that order and I'm never going back.

I'd go with the G&R,Colt, DD, or the WOA with one of ALG's awesome triggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScatmanCrothers
07-31-14, 11:58
Umbrella corp has a LPK in their specials and promo section that is an incredible deal: ALG QMS, Grip 23 in blk or fde, and the small parts for 64 bucks shipped. I don't know where they source their parts and I know the name tied to the company is pretty laughable, but damned if they don't put out solid gear (their bcg's are very nice). I haven't seen any feedback on them yet, but that's a steal of a deal.

zombiescometh
07-31-14, 12:45
Umbrella corp has a LPK in their specials and promo section that is an incredible deal: ALG QMS, Grip 23 in blk or fde, and the small parts for 64 bucks shipped. I don't know where they source their parts and I know the name tied to the company is pretty laughable, but damned if they don't put out solid gear (their bcg's are very nice). I haven't seen any feedback on them yet, but that's a steal of a deal.
I have been wanting to try out their trigger for awhile now. Basically you get a lpk for $10 so I ordered one.

NetJunkie
08-02-14, 14:03
Got my 2 LPKs from Grant. Thank you sir!

TF82
08-03-14, 13:52
I'll add a +1 for the White Oak kit. I got it without a FCG and was quite pleased with how it all went together. Maybe I just got luck but the selector action is REALLY crisp and smooth on mine.

elephantrider
08-04-14, 21:05
WOA? .....

I use White Oak Armament. I just order the few parts I need after I buy Battle Arms Development, Magpul, and Geissele/ALG lower parts. I just need the bolt catch, magazine catch, and buffer retainer parts. Only about $20 vs. $40+ for a more complete LPK that will leave me with a bunch of leftover parts that I will never use.

AR-Ryan21
08-07-14, 14:54
DD LPKs are pretty easy to come by these days.

They've long been my go-to LPK.

trackmagic
08-07-14, 15:36
I just got a DPMS lower parts kit and it seemed fine. I think most of these parts are made by the same manufacturer and just put in a back with a certain products name. DPMS tends to be the "cheap brand". Some might view it as a risk, but I've had good luck with this in practice.

Zim
08-07-14, 21:05
I think most of these parts are made by the same manufacturer and just put in a back with a certain products name.

Do you have anything to support that thought, or are you just expressing an opinion?

trackmagic
08-07-14, 21:20
Do you have anything to support that thought, or are you just expressing an opinion?

The fact that i understand manufacturing and these parts have badically achieved comodity status, and the several times I used these parts they were basically identical.

Likewise, I could ask you if you have any proof the parts are different or if you are just elluding to your opinion.

Zim
08-07-14, 23:26
The molding and tool marks have been noticeably different in my tiny sample size of two manufacturer's bolt catch and magazine releases. So yes?

zombiescometh
08-07-14, 23:35
The fact that i understand manufacturing and these parts have badically achieved comodity status, and the several times I used these parts they were basically identical.

Likewise, I could ask you if you have any proof the parts are different or if you are just elluding to your opinion.
Here's the description from G&Rtactical.com

G&R Tactical Lower Parts Kits for AR15 Lowers. Our LPK's have the best components selected from the industries best manufactures (with the majority of them coming from LMT).

Rayrevolver
08-08-14, 07:49
Years ago I was under the impression that Lauer LPKs came from LMT. Anyone know if that is still the case?

G&R is out of stock so I rolled the dice with Umbrella. I have a no name kit from AIM that came in colored coded bags. I will try to compare these kits, and also some of the LCW parts I got years ago.

C4IGrant
08-08-14, 07:52
Years ago I was under the impression that Lauer LPKs came from LMT. Anyone know if that is still the case?

G&R is out of stock so I rolled the dice with Umbrella. I have a no name kit from AIM that came in colored coded bags. I will try to compare these kits, and also some of the LCW parts I got years ago.

Doubtful on Lauer.

Avoid (like the plague) the LPK's that come in the colored bags. We bought them for examination and are pure junk.

Colt LPK's will be back in the flow in soon (larger QTY's). So I would hold out for those.

C4

tylerw02
08-08-14, 10:18
I've had good luck with Daniel Defense LPKs. There may be bad triggers once in a while, but Colt has bad triggers too. I had a mushy 6920 trigger---much worse than the DD LPK triggers I'd used. I decided to replace it with an ALG QMS trigger. That was the forth ALG I'd bought and it turned out to be a lemon---very inconsistent and the reset didn't function properly. I ended up working my Colt trigger over and run it in that gun now. The rest of the ALGs I've used were great.

jadams951
08-08-14, 10:24
Another +1 for WOA parts kit with ALG trigger.

SilverBullet432
08-23-14, 17:50
Hey folks slight dilemma/question. Okay, so today at the guns show I SCORED BIG TIME on a stripped blem AERO lower. ($45!!!!!!!) (it has a machine mark on the beaver tail. (MOE grip covered that anyway!! :cool: ) They have a vast selection of loose lower parts. Sadly they are all DPMS. Now i only need the bolt catch assembly, the buffer catch assembly and the mag release assembly. Would i be okay in buying these here, or should I order (and wait) for parts from WOA???? The prices are all fair. I popped in my GI DD trigger for fit test. I will be using a geiselle DMR, BAD-ASS and BAD-EPS.
BCM RE buffer n spring and SOPMOD stock.

Here's a pic of the lower:

Added moe+ grip and magpul aluminum trigger guard.

http://i62.tinypic.com/16736zq.jpg

bzdog
08-23-14, 18:32
If you need just a couple of loose parts, Brownells sells Colt parts ala cart.

There is a partial list of part numbers in this post: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=142312

SilverBullet432
08-23-14, 19:00
I know i can find parts online, the question is, should I buy the DPMS ones here tomorrow. Or are the others really
Worth the wait?

tylerw02
08-23-14, 19:01
Myself I avoid DPMS like the clap. What good is having them tomorrow vs Wednesday if you order them now?

SilverBullet432
08-23-14, 19:14
Understood. What's wrong with me? I'll order WOA parts. Its not like i can find the trigger, pins and selector locally anyway! Thanks fellas!

SilverBullet432
08-23-14, 22:28
I thought this thread was in technical?

BigDozer66
08-23-14, 23:21
WOA is what I have used on my last builds.

BigDozer66

Tzed250
08-24-14, 06:03
+1 for the WOA LPK with the ALG ACT.

SilverBullet432
08-24-14, 12:47
I really wish BCM made a LPK or separate lower parts! Or that DD would sell individual parts!

Zirk208
08-24-14, 14:28
I really wish BCM made a LPK or separate lower parts! Or that DD would sell individual parts!

You and everyone else.

brushy bill
08-24-14, 17:26
AIM Surplus has DD LPKs $79.99 shipped. Best I could find.

bzdog
08-24-14, 18:02

More options would be good, but if you can get Colt parts, why pine for DD or BCM?

-john

SilverBullet432
08-24-14, 18:12
More options would be good, but if you can get Colt parts, why pine for DD or BCM?

-john

Colt parts are rather expensive, and im willing to bet DD and BCM are on par with quality.

joeyjoe
08-24-14, 18:21
@bzdog: EXACTLY! I pretty much only own BCM and Colt rifles at this point. Im a big believer in both products. In fact, id rather go with a BCM upper these days. Having said that, in my experience, all of the Colt LPKS/FCGs I have in my colt lowers are superior (very positive safety selectors, better triggers etc. etc.) to the multiple BCM lowers I have. Again, just my experience, but ive had more than a few of both manufacturers. Colt LPKs are just solid.
As far as Colt LPKs being overly expensive, they really aren't. You can pick up a Colt LPK sans FCG for 60 bucks. Then just go pick up an ALG QMS etc. You're set. :)

SilverBullet432
08-24-14, 18:25
I don't need the whole LPK.

joeyjoe
08-24-14, 18:57
the point is, do not buy the dpms parts. There is an appreciable practical difference between a Colt LPK and a dpms LPK. It wouldn't matter to me whether I currently needed all of the lower parts or not. We're talking about 60 bucks. The option to have a full colt lpk (less fcg, of course) in one's lower OR in one's parts bin is just too good to pass up. Obviously everyone has different priorities etc. If you want to buy the individual dpms pieces then you should. However, I wouldn't even consider it with the option to buy a colt lpk for 60 bucks.

SilverBullet432
08-24-14, 19:02
I was thinking about buying the individual white oak pieces.

bzdog
08-24-14, 20:05
Having a hard time understanding. Postage offsets difference in parts cost for the most part. You say you are going to mail order anyway. You sound like you'd go with BCM or DD if they were available. So you are going White Oak over Colt. Umm, OK. What was your question again?

-john

SilverBullet432
08-24-14, 20:48
Think you confused yourself. I previously stated what i was/am going to purchase. Im not going to spend $60 on tiny springs when the white oak parts will suffice. I did find a KNS precision "turned lpk" at the show. Picked that up for $20 now all i need are the springs mag release assembly and bolt catch. I took a closer look at the DPMS mag release assembly. The guy sold it to me for an additonal $1 i got it just to check it out. Looks like complete crap! Its just like straight metal, no type of finish just oiled....

Rayrevolver
08-24-14, 20:56
Got the Colt kit from G&R. Still waiting on the Umbrella Corp to show up. Combined its a Colt LPK with ALG trigger, and an extra LPK (without trigger) for $105. And a Umbrella Corp grip. Not a bad deal.

bzdog
08-24-14, 21:01
$60? That's quite a few ala cart Colt "tiny springs".

-john

SilverBullet432
08-24-14, 21:03
Where you finding these pick a parts at? I cant seem to find them on brownells if i do theyre out of stock. I see Grant has a few parts on his site!

bzdog
08-24-14, 21:12
now all i need are the springs mag release assembly and bolt catch.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receiver-hardware/springs/magazine-release-button-spring-prod4897.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=COLT

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-hardware/bolt-catches/bolt-catch-prod4883.aspx

[QUOTE=SilverBullet432;1976418]the buffer catch assembly[quote]

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-buffers/buffer-retainer-prod4889.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=COLT

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/buffer-retainer-springs/buffer-retainer-spring-prod4890.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=COLT

SilverBullet432
08-24-14, 21:15
Found them, thanks! The mag button is out of stock though..

That DPMS mag release is hideous! I tried it out on the lower for shits and i think the spring is crooked it has a "snap" to it when i press it.

joeyjoe
08-24-14, 21:30
you do understand that the Colt kit is not 60 bucks just for springs, right? As I said, its 60 bucks for the entire lpk minus fire control group.
@Rayrevolver, right on. Now we are making some sense. the best mil-spec style lower receiver parts + fcg money can buy w/ a set of parts for the parts bin. outstanding! ;) I would never feel comfortable without at least one complete lpk in the drawer.

SilverBullet432
08-24-14, 21:32
Yea i get you man, but i don't need the complete kit. Just specific parts. To be honest though, some spare parts could come in handy too. I might just order the colt lpk from grant. I did want to use a geissele DMR on this build, but i think i might just settle for the ACT. Its just my .300 blk hunting gun, not really for "precision".

joeyjoe
08-24-14, 23:03
Good call regarding some extra parts. Also, I've had great luck w/ the ALG ACT.

C4IGrant
08-25-14, 08:58

I understand, but we now have Colt LPK's would I personally put above all other LPK's (including our own G&R assemblies).

C4

SilverBullet432
08-25-14, 09:30
You'll get my business (again) here pretty soon!!

ETA: quick question. Have any of you guys used the set screw for the takedown pin on an Aero lower? Not sure if the spring needs to be shortened for it to work, i have a 4-40x.125 set screw.

Renegade04
08-25-14, 09:38
Over the past ten years, I have bought DPMS LPKs, CMMG LPKs, and I have bought LPKs from PSA, Del-Ton, CORE15, SARCO, AIM Surplus, Primary Arms, and most likely, a couple other sources I cannot remember. I have bought individual lower parts from Del-Ton and a few others. I have bought a few trigger/hammer groups from a few different manufacturers. In ten years of building, I have never had an issue with any of the parts I have bought.

Maize
08-25-14, 13:09
I understand, but we now have Colt LPK's would I personally put above all other LPK's (including our own G&R assemblies).

C4Never mind I found it.

C4IGrant
08-25-14, 13:13
Do you know when you will have them in stock?

We have had them in stock for awhile now.

C4

Maize
08-25-14, 13:37
We have had them in stock for awhile now.

C4Well you have one less now, just ordered. Thanks!

bobfried
08-25-14, 14:01
Over the past ten years, I have bought DPMS LPKs, CMMG LPKs, and I have bought LPKs from PSA, Del-Ton, CORE15, SARCO, AIM Surplus, Primary Arms, and most likely, a couple other sources I cannot remember. I have bought individual lower parts from Del-Ton and a few others. I have bought a few trigger/hammer groups from a few different manufacturers. In ten years of building, I have never had an issue with any of the parts I have bought.

I've been building AR's since the 90's and the only issues I have ever had were hammers, seems to be the weak point of any LPK.

SilverBullet432
08-29-14, 21:11
Went ahead and ordered the Colt LPK and an ACT. Sold all the other parts made my $ back.

joeyjoe
08-30-14, 02:47
Solid. For the money, it is impossible to improve upon what you now have in your lower receiver.

henschman
08-30-14, 10:06
LPKs are almost all contracted out by the seller. For instance, Colt's LPKs are made by L.W. Schneider, a military parts contractor, and incidentally the same one who makes them for PSA/PTAC. That's where I get mine. All have been very decent mil spec triggers, and the prices are very good. I got a PTAC LPK last year for $30... that's pretty hard to beat. They have a Labor Day deal right now for a stripped lower plus a LPK for $85. It was a good enough deal I had to grab one. Their lowers are made by Aero Precision incidentally. :)

3ACR_Scout
08-30-14, 11:23
All have been very decent mil spec triggers, and the prices are very good.
I was just about to ask what the group's opinions are on Colt's FCG. I've used them for a long time in the Army but haven't really compared them alongside commercial triggers. I have the opportunity to pick up a Colt LPK that includes the FCG for $100 and was thinking that I'd like to have one FCG as a spare for a "rainy day." Grant's price is great, and I'll probably order one of those eventually too. I have one SSA that I'm going to install in my new BCM, and I know from what everyone says that it will be hard to go back, but I just don't see myself spending the money on a bunch of Geissele triggers these days.

Dave

joeyjoe
08-30-14, 11:35
Don't really concern myself with where various LPKs are manufactured. example...Bolts A and B are both manufactured by company C. Why, then, do bolts A and B perform differently? Because, although both bolts were manufactured by C, they were manufactured according to different specifications (provided to manufacturer C by company A and, independently, by company B etc.). In my experience, I have seen a tremendous difference (albeit nuanced) between many of the LPKs that are out there. In my experience, Colt LPKs are the best. The safety selector, for example, has been tight and crisp on every colt ive ever used. That has rarely been the case with any other lower ive messed with. Most of my gear is BCM and BCM triggers and safety selectors are slop compared to Colts (DD is slop as well). They both function, but one is clearly more "correct" regarding product dimensions etc. When talking about such a small amount of money (60 bucks for a lpk when im going to be buying a trigger elsewhere anyways and don't need the FCG etc), im going to pick up the properly made item. Again, this is all just my experience. Just trying to let folks know some info that, if things were different, I would want to know, myself. Has no one else noticed consistent differences between various LPKs?

henschman
08-30-14, 12:02
I was just about to ask what the group's opinions are on Colt's FCG. I've used them for a long time in the Army but haven't really compared them alongside commercial triggers. I have the opportunity to pick up a Colt LPK that includes the FCG for $100 and was thinking that I'd like to have one FCG as a spare for a "rainy day." Grant's price is great, and I'll probably order one of those eventually too. I have one SSA that I'm going to install in my new BCM, and I know from what everyone says that it will be hard to go back, but I just don't see myself spending the money on a bunch of Geissele triggers these days.

Dave
My comment was about PSA and PTAC LPKs, not Colt. They have all been very good. I've put together two for myself using theirs, and at least 3 for other people. They are good to go. Made by the same mfg. that makes Colt.

SilverBullet432
08-30-14, 13:57
My comment was about PSA and PTAC LPKs, not Colt. They have all been very good. I've put together two for myself using theirs, and at least 3 for other people. They are good to go. Made by the same mfg. that makes Colt.

FN makes both PSAs and BCMs hammer forged barrels. They are NOT the same barrel. They are made to EACH companies specs. Same applies for ANY contracted parts.

tylerw02
08-30-14, 14:01
I've assembled about half a dozen lowers with PSA and PTAC LPKs. A few had descent FCGs, but most were marginal. Every PTAC part I've touched sucked compared to DD, BCM, Colt. My Colt triggers seem to be pretty good compared to everything else.

It doesn't only matter where parts are made, it matters who spec'ed just as much. PSA/PTAC spec'ed them to sell at a low price point to make fast cash.