PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of getting an FFL ?

Jaysop
07-17-14, 19:02
I'm considering getting and FFL licence. Locally they charge way to much and I've had a few stressful situations transferring firearms before. It would be awsome just to do it myself. I move buying and selling guns. I also have a few friends who do the same.

I'm having trouble finding info from people who have gone through the process. How hard was it? Do you regret it? Is it worth having some of your information made public?

I've also been told you can purchase direct from the manufacturer at wholesale pricing?

It sounds like it's a no brainer, why wouldn't everyone do this?

SteyrAUG
07-17-14, 21:45
I'm considering getting and FFL licence. Locally they charge way to much and I've had a few stressful situations transferring firearms before. It would be awsome just to do it myself. I move buying and selling guns. I also have a few friends who do the same.

I'm having trouble finding info from people who have gone through the process. How hard was it? Do you regret it? Is it worth having some of your information made public?

I've also been told you can purchase direct from the manufacturer at wholesale pricing?

It sounds like it's a no brainer, why wouldn't everyone do this?

Are you talking about having a home based FFL or an actual gun shop?

ptmccain
07-17-14, 21:49
I looked into this and did a lot of research.

If you are doing it to save yourself money on purchases? If so, please keep reading.

If you are actually going to try to run a business out of your house, and are committed to the paperwork, and are willing to put up with the nut jobs who show up at your house, go for it. After consulting with some "home based" FFL guys, I decided for me that no way was it worth the hassle.

I decided that unless I had a gun shop, it was not worth it.

Consider getting a Curio and Relic, you get a nice discount from various major online retailers, like Brownells.

VIP3R 237
07-17-14, 22:10
No it's not worth it for many reasons.

I am a dealer, and unless you buy in volume you really don't save much. In fact some of the larger online retailers can sell for less than you can purchase from the mfg. Also with many mfgs the initial buy in is a decent chunk of change.

Also many cities, HOA's, etc do not allow business to be ran out of a home, you must have a business license to hold an FFL, which means getting approval from the city to do such, depending on how liberal your neighbors are they can shoot it down pretty fast. You also open your home to yearly ATF audits and can be fined if your paperwork is out of hand. Plus you have to keep said paperwork for 25 years. IIRC There is also a requirement that you have regular business hours. They don't have to be 9am-5pm but you must post the hours that your store is open as opposed to the previous practice of listing "hours by appointment" This is very significant as it means the general public will have access to wherever you plan on conducting business out of - i.e. the address on your license.

jpmuscle
07-17-14, 22:14
One of my best friends who is local to me want through the hoops 2 years ago and got his. He says he has no regrets. Sure you have to commit yourself to the regs and paperwork but for him its second nature since he's VP of a local insurance agency, so their immersed in that anyway. He runs it out of his home and does decent enough volume to fund his hobbies or atleast support them. He's only word of mouth and does ok. It's not his primary income so there is that benefit too.

Jaysop
07-17-14, 22:42
I would be doing it primarily for personal reasons and not really to make money. Just to be able to buy direct and not deal with stores and their fees. I guess there's a lot more than just a piece of paper.
I didn't know you had to technically be a business.

ptmccain
07-17-14, 22:51
I would be doing it primarily for personal reasons and not really to make money. Just to be able to buy direct and not deal with stores and their fees. I guess there's a lot more than just a piece of paper.

Not worth it then, friend.

jpmuscle
07-17-14, 22:56

Not worth it then, friend.
To add the that from what I remember my buddy telling ATF really frowns on those who are in it to just save money on purchases and such.

SteyrAUG
07-17-14, 23:12

Yep, that is a specific criteria of the ATF used to deny and FFL application. The key phrase is "engaged in business of profit" and if they decide that isn't you, you won't be a FFL or it will be revoked.

Additionally, ATF will require any and all code and zoning compliance certification as well as state, county and city occupational licenses. In most places you will not be able to get code and zoning for a home based firearms business. This was the means ATF used to drive all those kitchen table FFLs out of business in the 1990s (most of whom pulled a FFL in the first place so they wouldn't be caught up in "dealing without a license" stings common in the 1970s).

With the passage of FOPA 86 ATF decided these people no longer needed FFLs to be protected against dealing without a license and set about finding ways to eliminate their FFL status. Code and zoning requirements and city issued occupational licenses have been the most effective means to deny individuals a FFL, especially home based operations. But there are entire cities that will not code and zone a FFL at all even if you have commercial space zoned for retail sales.

Additionally you have to specify hours of operation and a FFL, even home based ones, are subject to ATF compliance inspections. And that's just getting started.

ptmccain
07-17-14, 23:12
To add the that from what I remember my buddy telling ATF really frowns on those who are in it to just save money on purchases and such.

Yes, and yes.

williejc
07-18-14, 01:18
FFL holders(especially those operating out of their houses)need to be ready for the Man's visit at anytime. Also, they will have to comply with state sale tax regs as well. Many years ago having an FFL for hobby purposed was not a big deal. The letter of the law does not recognize(and never did)hobby licenses, which was the category that non stocking dealers usually fit. Don't forget that many distributors will not sell to a non stocking dealer. One reason is that it's not profitable. Another reason is that they claim to show loyalty to their store front buyers.

I wish to emphasize that we should be doing business with our local mom and pop gun shops, which are the only places with the ability and inclination to provide quality service. When I go to hang out at local gun shops, I try to buy something before I leave even if it's only cheap foam ear plugs. Also, I do not stay too long so as not to be a nuisance, and I try to keep my opinions to myself--not always successfully.

Jaysop
07-18-14, 19:07
Thats really to bad thats its such a pain in the ass.
Its insane what local stores charge around here for their guns and their transfer fees are just as bad. Some as high as $75!

The only good thing about not getting one is that id probably buy to many guns if I did.

SteyrAUG
07-18-14, 19:19
Its insane what local stores charge around here for their guns and their transfer fees are just as bad. Some as high as $75!

The only good thing about not getting one is that id probably buy to many guns if I did.

Do what they did. Spend the cash to secure a storefront operation, become an actual FFL with all the associated costs and then set your markups below theirs. If you are correct, you should own the entire market within a year.

ptmccain
07-18-14, 19:26

$75 for a transfer? Yikes.

$25 is what I pay around here.

Sorry, man.

Jaysop
07-18-14, 19:31
Do what they did. Spend the cash to secure a storefront operation, become an actual FFL with all the associated costs and then set your markups below theirs. If you are correct, you should own the entire market within a year.

I thought about it once. Then I realized that there would probably be customers. And they kind of ruin the dream of having a room full of guns.