PDA

View Full Version : Our own Paul Gardner (RetreatHell) will be one Ballistic Radio Sunday

SWATcop556
07-18-14, 00:54
I spent the past two days hanging out with Paul and he told me about his interview on Ballistic Radio (www.ballisticradio.com). Paul is a hard charging Marine who was wounded in combat in 2003. His story can be found here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?38540-Lessons-Learned-In-Combat

Paul's interview will be an in depth look at the lack of training that contributed to his injury and the lessons learned. This is a topic that Paul is extremely passionate about and we talked at length about the shortcomings of LE and Mil training even after 13 years of combat. Everyone who carries a gun can and will learn from Paul.

Please show a fellow member our support and tune in.

SeriousStudent
07-18-14, 01:02
I definitely will be tuning in.

Just an FYI for folks, if you miss the broadcast. The host of the show puts up podcasts about a day later, you can download and listen to them.

It was definitely a pleasure to meet Paul and break bread with him.

Eurodriver
07-18-14, 06:13
I've never met Paul, but I feel like I have from his posts here (Where's he been lately?) and his Youtube videos. Glad to see he's still a hardcharger.

NCPatrolAR
07-18-14, 11:12
Is that show as a whole? I've never listened to it and don't really see people talk about it much

markm
07-18-14, 11:14
He hasn't posted much here lately eh?

sadmin
07-18-14, 12:09
Thanks for the heads up. Good dude, shot with him a couple times in classes.

SWATcop556
07-18-14, 12:18
He took a step back from all forums for a while. Participating as much as he was on all of the forums where he was a member became very time consuming. He made a choice to focus more of his time on other projects though he still reads and follows M4C. That being said he did tell me he was planning on participating more and rejoining the M4C family on a more regular basis.

markm
07-18-14, 12:57
Cool. Yeah.. the forums can wear your ass out sometimes. I think we've all been there.

SeriousStudent
07-18-14, 15:52
Is that show as a whole? I've never listened to it and don't really see people talk about it much

That's the neat thing about the podcasts. You get the entire show without the commercials, and it runs about 43 minutes.

If you have a smartphone, you can just pull them down with Podcast Addict, and listen to them on your commute or during lunch.

Outlander Systems
07-18-14, 20:00
Paul is a hero. That is really great to hear.

tuck
07-18-14, 20:43
He hasn't posted much here lately eh?

I haven't seen much of him here, or on his YouTube channel in quite awhile.

Does anyone know when the podcast airs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXBK
07-18-14, 20:55
I was way off...actually told a friend to tune in to that on the wrong day. Paul is such a shy guy, I guess I failed to listen to what he said when he spoke. :rolleyes:

There is definitely no doubting the passion he holds for the experiences that he has shared when you hear him speak about it in person. I think that is what I got caught up in when he was sharing the podcast info.

SeriousStudent
07-18-14, 20:59
I haven't seen much of him here, or on his YouTube channel in quite awhile.

Does anyone know when the podcast airs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The radio show broadcast is on Sunday nights at 7 pm Eastern, on 55 KRC radio: http://www.55krc.com/main.html You can listen to it live from that website. Paul said that this episode was prerecorded. The host (John Johnson - famous tactical hobo :cool:) does that at times when schedules clash.

You can download and listen to the podcasts (usually the next day) by clicking on the Ballistic Radio website link in the original post.

John is a good guy, and has some great guests in his archive - lots of very interesting folks, many of them members here.

Cagemonkey
07-19-14, 06:49
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear he's doing well. I was fearing the worst for a while.

scoutchris
07-19-14, 16:31
Paul is a hero. That is really great to hear.

While I am not taking anything away from Paul, I think he would agree with me that we throw that term around rather flippantly today.

Outlander Systems
07-19-14, 16:47
While I am not taking anything away from Paul, I think he would agree with me that we throw that term around rather flippantly today.

Paul is living prof that the rest of us have ZERO excuses. To me, that's pretty heroic.

tuck
07-19-14, 17:01
The radio show broadcast is on Sunday nights at 7 pm Eastern, on 55 KRC radio: http://www.55krc.com/main.html You can listen to it live from that website. Paul said that this episode was prerecorded. The host (John Johnson - famous tactical hobo :cool:) does that at times when schedules clash.

You can download and listen to the podcasts (usually the next day) by clicking on the Ballistic Radio website link in the original post.

John is a good guy, and has some great guests in his archive - lots of very interesting folks, many of them members here.

Many thanks.

scoutchris
07-19-14, 17:41
Paul is living prof that the rest of us have ZERO excuses. To me, that's pretty heroic.

I mean, I think that should be the standard... Look, as a grunt and Iraq Veteran, I like Paul, get called a hero left and right and it drives me crazy. I guess it's all about perspective. All of my heroes have their names on black metal bracelets that I rotate around in my wardrobe.

Without a doubt, Paul sacrificed way more than I have for this country, and my post signature acknowledges that, and he deserves far more respect than my ass does. But I think (or I would like to believe) that he would agree with me that the bullets that hit him had his name on them since the date of manufacture, and getting shot doesn't make you a hero.

Please don't confuse this post with any disrespect to Paul. I openly admit that he is a tougher man than I, and I can't imagine the unspoken mental demons he battles with every day that make mine pale in comparison. My friend and fellow forum member TXBK met him at this armorers course they all took this past weekend and said that he was more than impressed and introduced me to ballistic radio less than 48 hours ago for the soul purpose of listening to this interview- which I will.

TXBK calls me a hero, which infuriates me when I think of men like Paul. And I am almost positive that it pisses him off when he thinks about all of those black bracelets.

SeriousStudent
07-19-14, 23:20
Chris,

Understood and appreciated. I look forward to the day when warriors don't have their friend's names engraved in steel, or tattooed on their bodies to memorialize them.

Until then, I'll raise a glass to all our nation's warriors. Bless you all.

BTL BRN
07-21-14, 14:28
I just finished listening to the podcast and want to thank Mr. Gardner for his comments and willingness to share on his experiences; I have read the thread here a few times over, but truly profited from hearing his insights on the podcast as well.

SeriousStudent
07-21-14, 21:23
Here's a direct link to the podcast:

http://ballisticradio.com/2014/07/21/podcast-season-2-ballistic-radio-episode-71-july-20th-2014/

TXBK
07-22-14, 12:31
Moral fiber....Paul definitely has it. I appreciate his willingness to share his experiences, and offer insight as to why they happened, just like many others who have listened to him. To acknowledge mistakes, and then publicly discuss them takes courage. Addressing those mistakes with 40 some odd classes in 5 years, is without a doubt taking steps to address them and correct them. Then, to go on to instructing as well to spread this knowledge obtained is great for those seeking similar knowledge.

Best of luck to you, Paul. Your demonstration of outstanding character and drive to move forward and improve, is inspiring.

RetreatHell
07-22-14, 16:41
Thanks for the very kind words, guys. Thanks 556 as well for posting the heads up about it. Tons of people have now either read my original Lessons Learned thread here on M4C or the article in SWAT Mag that ultimately followed and learned from my story. Now even more will get a chance to learn the lessons I learned in a very brutal way so that they will succeed in a gunfight and go home to their families with the same amount of holes they started the day with and the scumbag who attacked them will go into the dirt with (many) more holes. That's my objective here.

I'm wanting to make a point to start hanging around more here, as hanging out with multiple M4C members at the AR15 Armorer's Course made me miss it a bit :) I spent 10 months in the VA hospital last year for breaking both (yup) femurs (one was while I was there though unfortunately), then got out a year ago and met an amazing lady shortly after. That would explain my lack of YouTube vids, as all my free time is spent with her (go figure). She's a crack shot and absolutely loves going to training classes with me too, so I've pretty much hit the jackpot here, lol! Regardless, I'd like to get on here more often and contribute.

Thanks to all who've listened to the podcast and please do feel free to share it with your gun carrying friends!

SeriousStudent
07-22-14, 20:30
Yikes! Both femurs sounds like no fun at all.

I hope you folks had a good time at the class you were headed to. And it's definitely good to see you back here.

I'm going to see if I can get free for that low-light class you and Will are teaching next month. I still have to clear the time off from work. I'll look forward to seeing you there.