PDA

View Full Version : M&P and Apex Questions

U4JF
07-18-14, 01:07
I just converted to the M&P40 from my Glock and I am doing a few upgrades ie sights and possibly trigger. This will be a carry weapon so I don't want to change things that make the trigger too light or lessen reliablity. There is a lot of info that I have read on the Apex parts and spring kits. I want to understand what effects I am having on trigger pull/feel and reliablity before I change things. The trigger wieght seems to be ok for me. I does feel a bit gritty and I would like to fix that. I don't have a feeling either way on the factory trigger itself. I know some dislike the way the trigger safety is made. I was going to do the APEX M&P Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit but I have read that it can make the trigger heavier. The trigger reset has a positive feel and click to it so I don't think I need the RAM. So my questions are:
1. For those of you that have installed this kit was it worth it and are there hidden issues I need to be aware of?
2. Would you just install the kit or just the fully machined sear and USB?

Also M&P40 fullsize SN#HPS4*** spent casing says Oct. 2013 if that helps any or changes anything.

MorphCross
07-18-14, 04:05
Very much worth it. I have both the DCAEK and the AEK trigger installed on my EDC M&P40c and the biggest difference in the feel allowed an even more tactile and audible reset, as well as less sight jump when pulling the trigger. My smith did the install for $80 minus the cost of parts as I am not quite up to breaking a pistol down to these tiny components. He also adjusted the rear sights and tested the adjustment so now if I somehow miss I can't blame the pistol.:jester:

ScottD
07-18-14, 07:33
I only installed the sear (and later an AEK trigger) on mine. The sear alone made a big enough difference for me, and I was comfortable with the pull weight for a carry gun with the just the factory springs. I didn't get the USB because (1) I didn't notice the grittiness when it came time to actually shoot the gun and (2) I didn't want to mess with removing the rear sight.

I also thought the AEK polymer trigger was a worthwhile upgrade, but that's all personal preference. If you're ok with the factory hinged trigger, save the money.

The only "problem" I'm aware of is possibly needing to open up the trigger bar loop a little bit, but that's a very simple thing to do.

RMiller
07-18-14, 07:41
I just bought an M&P 9 with the APEX FSS installed along with a RAM. It's a great trigger. Almost as good as my PPQ, just in a slightly different way.

Ready.Fire.Aim
07-18-14, 07:56
It is worth the money. I have three M&P9's and put APEX kits in each. IMO easy and notably improves the pistol.

Have fun,
RFA

Sensei
07-18-14, 08:38
So my questions are:
1. For those of you that have installed this kit was it worth it and are there hidden issues I need to be aware of?
2. Would you just install the kit or just the fully machined sear and USB?

Also M&P40 fullsize SN#HPS4*** spent casing says Oct. 2013 if that helps any or changes anything.

1. It is definitely worth it if your pistol is more than a year old. The most recent offerings from Smith have a much improved trigger and the difference between it and the DCAEK is not as pronounced as the earlier M&Ps.

2. I would install the full kit (sear, USB, trigger spring) if this gun is for carry. Installing just the sear and USB with factory spring will leave you with a 3-4 lb pull; a little on the light side for carry. By adding the APEX spring you actually bring the weight up by a pound or two which is more suited for carry applications.

I will say that the DCAEK kits that I installed in my older M&Ps made a significant improvement in smoothing out the take-up and making the break more crisp. They now surpass my PPQ in terms of break and are only beaten by the PPQ's near perfect reset. My triggers all break between 5-5.5 lbs which is fine for my applications.

opngrnd
07-18-14, 10:03
I installed the USB, Hard Sear, and polymer AEK trigger in my full size M&P. I added 10-8's brass bead front sight and their rear sight, and I'm very happy with it. In contrast, I have installed the DCAEK in my buddies pistols, and while I like my set up much better, their triggers also are, in my opinion, a big improvement over 2012 era factory guns.
In my opinion you may be best served by the following :
1-The standard DCAEK with sights of your choice.
2-The Hard Sear, USB, and Polymer AEK Trigger with sights of your choice.

Doogledog
07-18-14, 12:54
I have owned an M&P 40 for a little over a year now and I installed the DCAEK. It was a great improvement in my opinion. However, I left the factory trigger spring in. As stated in an earlier post, that does make the trigger pull actually a little lighter. I normally do not carry my M&P but if I did I'd probably keep it the same way. While it is lighter it's certainly not something you can't train for.

FloridaWoodsman
07-21-14, 23:14
When I got my 9mm, a DIY "fluff-and-buff" job subdued the grittiness, but I ended up getting the APEX sear to reduce the trigger pull.

hossb7
07-21-14, 23:30
I have the DCAEK and polymer AEK trigger, combined with the RAM. The break is just under 5 lbs, incredibly smooth take-up with a fantastically crisp break and tactile reset. It's definitely worth the money.

Trajan
07-22-14, 07:29
DCAEK and the AEK trigger are no-brainer upgrades to the M&P.

If you're holding the trigger back after the gun cycles then resetting, you're shooting wrong anyway.

geaux2sleep
07-22-14, 20:48
DCAEK and the AEK trigger are no-brainer upgrades to the M&P.

If you're holding the trigger back after the gun cycles then resetting, you're shooting wrong anyway.

Could you elaborate on that last statement?

Magsz
07-22-14, 21:08
Could you elaborate on that last statement?

In a nutshell, you reset the pistol under recoil.

pinning the trigger is a slower way to shoot and results in trigger freeze/stutter.

RWH24
07-23-14, 00:03
Yes it is worth it. M&P9L has poly AEK trigger, hard sear and USB with an internal polish job at G&R Tactical where it was purchased.

My first M&P9 FS was just polished internally by G&R Tactical. I later added the hard sear and USB. Best feeling trigger since a Series 70 Colt 1911. My Shield has no mods as it actually handles very good for a pocket pistol.