PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this for a first Ar

Preacherritchie
07-18-14, 13:26
First post go easy on me ..... I just purchased a Sig Sauer ar it's the rm 400 wth sopmod buttstock...and Keymod hand guard .... Got it from selway for $674 after the rebate .... Is this a decent first Ar .... I got a colt hbar on a trade several years ago ... But traded it off for several guns .... Probably should have kept it but ..... Live and learn .... Are they any concerns on this Sig ... Thankyou very much Preacher Ritchie

Airhasz
07-18-14, 13:45
Research is best done before purchase to avoid BH.

Preacherritchie
07-18-14, 14:52
I did research beforehand just couldn't find a whole lot of info ......

07-18-14, 14:58
I did research beforehand just couldn't find a whole lot of info ......

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you could find very little info about it, why buy it? There is plenty of info out there about other AR manufactures and the rifles they make.

Preacherritchie
07-18-14, 15:19
I simply bought it because it was recommended by another forum member and the reviews I saw on it were good ... Though limited ...that's why I posted here to hopefully see if some other members might have one .... To give some comments ....... And it's my first Ar ..... Going by my screen name us preachers don't make a whole lot of money lol ..... So purchasing some tricked out Ar was out of the question for me .... Thankyou Ritchie

skijunkie55
07-18-14, 15:31
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sigm400-b5-series-gray.aspx

This is the one correct?

Just get out there and shoot the snot out of it. Make sure you properly maintain it and if it's still kicking after several thousand rounds - good purchase.

SiGfever
07-18-14, 15:51
I have not owned one but people seem to like them a lot. Congratulations on your "First" AR. Now get some ammo, more ammo, and shoot the "Devil" out of it. :D

E_Johnson
07-18-14, 15:52
preacher ritchie,

as a fellow new guy, here's how I went about getting smart on the AR platform: on both this forum and the technical discussion forum, look at the stickied threads relating to construction and practical use of the system (knowledge based threads specifically). If you come across terminology that you are unfamiliar with (6061 vs 7075 aluminum for instance), use the search function and find a thread that discusses that issue. I almost guarantee there is one.

Those knowledge base topics form the basis of the advice you are receiving in this thread. People will tell you how it is, not cheerlead your choices. You may start to think folks here are fanboys of x or y brand. From what I've seen people here are just give a damn about whether or not you can bet your life on the tool you purchased. The characteristics of a carbine that meets that standard is, again, contained in the knowledge based threads. It is your first, and I'm assuming only, AR at this point, so I assume this is your intended purpose for this weapon.

Finally, since you already purchased the gun, use it as a training opportunity to intimately learn the platform. Shoot it. A lot. Buy ammo and get training before buying any accessories. once you reach a level where you know what you like and dislike in a rifle, use that experiential knowledge combined with the technical knowledge you gain here to guide your next purchase. Best of luck to you.

Preacherritchie
07-18-14, 16:22
Thankyou everyone .... Glad to be apart of this quality site .... Lots of info .... Now I must read ....

Airhasz
07-18-14, 16:31
preacher ritchie,

as a fellow new guy, here's how I went about getting smart on the AR platform: on both this forum and the technical discussion forum, look at the stickied threads relating to construction and practical use of the system (knowledge based threads specifically). If you come across terminology that you are unfamiliar with (6061 vs 7075 aluminum for instance), use the search function and find a thread that discusses that issue. I almost guarantee there is one.

Those knowledge base topics form the basis of the advice you are receiving in this thread. People will tell you how it is, not cheerlead your choices. You may start to think folks here are fanboys of x or y brand. From what I've seen people here are just give a damn about whether or not you can bet your life on the tool you purchased. The characteristics of a carbine that meets that standard is, again, contained in the knowledge based threads. It is your first, and I'm assuming only, AR at this point, so I assume this is your intended purpose for this weapon.

Finally, since you already purchased the gun, use it as a training opportunity to intimately learn the platform. Shoot it. A lot. Buy ammo and get training before buying any accessories. once you reach a level where you know what you like and dislike in a rifle, use that experiential knowledge combined with the technical knowledge you gain here to guide your next purchase. Best of luck to you.

Good bit of information here ^ :cool:

223to45
07-18-14, 17:37
First post go easy on me ..... I just purchased a Sig Sauer ar it's the rm 400 wth sopmod buttstock...and Keymod hand guard .... Got it from selway for $674 after the rebate .... Is this a decent first Ar .... I got a colt hbar on a trade several years ago ... But traded it off for several guns .... Probably should have kept it but ..... Live and learn .... Are they any concerns on this Sig ... Thankyou very much Preacher Ritchie

Not sure of all the specs for a Sig, but for $674 you did fine, now shoot the hell out of it.

TexanInCali
07-18-14, 20:47
How does this rifle compare to others in this price range? I've seen folks talking about deals like an M&P Sport going for around the same price. What's the better rifle at that price point?

My first AR is a BCM Recce SS410, which is the shit, but I wouldn't mind having a beater gun as well. This Sig looks like it would fill that role at less than half what I spent on the BCM.

I've handled these Sigs at the LGS and they seem like well made basic carbines. Am I missing some reason this M400 isn't a good gun at this price?

Preacherritchie
07-18-14, 20:59
Selway has them still with the mail in rebate of 100 dollars off

Fuzzy-Reticle
07-18-14, 21:14
Sig is a good basic carbine. I have owned 3 of them. Two m400s and one piston. All are built well and if you care they look good also. The three I had all shot very well and I had no issues with them. All of my examples had green mountain barrels. Being a lefty the lower was very user friendly. They were solid rifles. I never reached a huge round count with them, who can afford that these days? For a casual user and home defense rifle I see no reason not to own one at that price. Shoot the shit out of it and enjoy it.

Preacherritchie
07-18-14, 21:41
Thankyou Fuzzy -reticle .... I'm reloading some of my Dads brass this weekend .... Thankyou for the replies

justin_247
07-18-14, 23:13

In that price range, I think you did fine. Now, go buy an Aimpoint PRO, a good sling, a light, a bunch of mags, and some ammo...

... then go shoot the crap out of it. At this point, asking others opinions of it is purely academic.

Grand58742
07-18-14, 23:35
I'm curious if Sig has made any changes from when this review was posted:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?114672-WHAT-S-SHIPPING-Detailed-Look-at-the-Sigarms-M400

And now. Specifically like an H buffer or FA BCG. MPI markings, etc.

OP, can you break it down and give us a detailed look?

NYH1
07-20-14, 03:44
Yeah, shoot the crap out of it.

If you do want to put an optic on it I have an Aimpoint PRO on mine and really like it. I bought an Aimpoint Micro T1 for my wife's AR (she gets all the lightweight stuff!) she like it as well. Aimpoints are nice.

Good luck, NYH1.

Vulture38
07-20-14, 16:12
Like others said, go shoot it. A lot.

BuzzinSATX
07-20-14, 20:27
Hey Preacher....Sig makes a solid gun. You got a great deal, so keep it lubed and shoot it in good health!

Praise the Lord and pass the ammo, Brother!

cd228
07-21-14, 05:29
Preacher,
You got what you got. Only trigger time can say if it was a good buy or not. However one of the advantages of the AR is it's modularity, if a part is bad, we can replace it with a better one. But don't worry about that for now. First things first, read the manual a couple times, goggle Pat Roger's article on M4/M16 maintenance read that a couple times. There is alot of bad data on AR maintenance out there and Pat does a very good job of debunking some of the bigs ones. Once you have done that, find a friend who has some experience/training with ARs and have them walk you through field stripping, reassembly and functions check. While you have the gun apart do a good inspection, you probably don't know what you are looking at yet, but if there is something wrong you or your buddy might notice it. Plus it start to get you familiar with the rifle. Then oil it up and take it to the range. I noticed that you mentioned reloading, I reload too, but I would tell you start with factory ammo. You don't want to be sitting there thinking you have a new gun problem when it's your handloads. There are some nuances to reloading for ARs. I am not going to go into here, but there is more info in the reloading forumn. Speaking of ammo get both .223 and 5.56 (there is a differnce) and try them out. Observe the groupings, operation of the rifle and the ejection pattern, also collect your spent casing and check them out. Seperate the spent 5.56 from the .223 or you might break a deprimer later. Post up a range report when you are done with any questions you have.

justin_247
07-21-14, 17:49

Does yours have the bottom bolt catch extension like seen in this picture?

I saw a Sig P516 today that had this on it, and it was really handy for locking back the bolt. IMHO, all ARs should have this.

TexanInCali
07-21-14, 20:03
The M400s I've seen have the ambi mag release, but not the little extension for the bolt catch. This seems to be the source of a common complaint. The left side mag release crowds the bolt catch. On the 516, the extension you mentioned helps avoid this.

justin_247
07-21-14, 22:07
The M400s I've seen have the ambi mag release, but not the little extension for the bolt catch. This seems to be the source of a common complaint. The left side mag release crowds the bolt catch. On the 516, the extension you mentioned helps avoid this.

Yes, that is surely the intent. But, man, it's a ton easier to use than the standard bolt catches. Seriously, this is a great piece of kit. I'm going to e-mail Sig and see if they could start selling them...

Racklover
07-22-14, 11:19
I recently got an M400 and like it! For 774 plus a $100 rebate, figured what the heck.