PDA

View Full Version : Ftf and short stroking when going from brass to steel

mattieb
07-19-14, 21:10
Anyone no why this happens?
I think it's because the steel didn't expand as much as brass but the short stroking kind of makes me wonder both in bcm 16 middy and bcm 14.5 middy any thoughts

Kain
07-19-14, 21:19
What buffer you running? Have a BCM middy 16 inch, with an H buffer, and with some steel cased ammo, TULA, I get FTFs on a regular basis because the ammo is lower pressure compared to 5.56 NATO that is my go to and will not cycle the rifle fully always. Doesn't generally bother me, has I will use TULA as a good training aid for learning to clear Malfs. If you are wanting it to run 100% with steel cased ammo though a different buffer may help. Depending on who you talk with you may get recommended a cabine buffer, or even an H2 buffer. At any rate, it isn't something that is wrong with the rifle, just a nature of having a rifle that is speced proper firing lower pressure ammo than what it was designed for. Not all steel cased ammo in my experience will cause these issues at the same rate. Have not had any issue as of yet with Hornady steel match for example.

mattieb
07-19-14, 21:36
I have a h buffer from bcm in both with springco blue buffer spring if I run steel only I have no problems it's when I switch from brass to steel and it always locks back on empty

Clint
07-19-14, 21:56
What brand of steel is causing the trouble?

Using a standard spring vs the blue may help also.

Heavy Metal
07-19-14, 22:55
Bet he is trying to run Tula.

mattieb
07-20-14, 00:37
Tula and wolf they both run fine like I said I mainly run 556 m193 but after I go through a couple hundred rounds of m193 I'll run sum wolf or Tula also and that's when it happens if I strictly run the the steel I have no issues it when switching from brass to steel

markm
07-20-14, 09:56
Definitely get rid of the stupid spring. This is a classic example of where mixing a bunch of aftermarket nonsense will make trouble shooting that much more time consuming. When you run the correct parts, you don't have to eliminate those variables.

mattieb
07-20-14, 10:02
Definitely get rid of the stupid spring. This is a classic example of where mixing a bunch of aftermarket nonsense will make trouble shooting that much more time consuming. When you run the correct parts, you don't have to eliminate those variables.

Aftermarket parts is the spring and the only reason I got it is because everyone on here praises springco. And it was happening b4 I switched from a reg carbine sprig

The spring is the only aftermarket part on the riffle it also happens on my 14,5 with no aftermarket parts

Scrubber3
07-20-14, 14:26
I'm trying to wrap my head around this one.. From brass to steel you're having issues from two rifles? What are you doing in between outings to make it to where you can shoot steel cased without issue? How long in between? Looking at this will likely solve your issue.

Also, you could have a weak batch of ammo. This is the most likely situation considering it's happening with both rifles. That or the actual time your rifles were shooting steel at first was because your rifle was very clean and likely still wet from lub. My BCM middy won't cycle Tula at all because it's very weak ammo. That's with an H buffer..

Maybe you should put a standard spring and carbine buffer in? It'd likely solve the issue. Otherwise, steer clear of Tula. That's what I do.

eodinert
07-24-14, 17:19
Steel does not obturate as well as brass. Residue from the dirty powder in the steel cased ammo will get between the casing and the chamber wall. Try cleaning the chamber walls very well, using a GI chamber brush when switching from steel to brass, and see if it doesn't make a difference.

This assumes, of course, your extractor and extractor spring are quality/correct.

mattieb
07-24-14, 17:48
Thanks I'll give it a try next time I have both and switch. And yes 100% bcm upper and bcg

ptmccain
07-24-14, 18:34
My Daniel Defense chokes on steel case after a couple hundred rounds but shoots brass case all day long.

I have to manually cycle the bolt on steel case after a couple hundred rounds and then pull the BCG and slather it with lube to get back in action.